PDA

View Full Version : Can only run with terminal

tolremeno
June 27th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Sorry, I'm an extreme n00b here.

I can only get TB to run through the terminal. I installed through ubuntuzilla (at least I think I did - I've done so much with Linux in the last week that I think I'm going nuts) and am sharing the mail fine with the windows partition, but I can only start TB with the terminal.

If I try not starting with the terminal, I get the error that another instance of TB is running.

Any help?

mig5
June 27th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I take it that you are talking about Mozilla ThunderBird? Check if its running at startup. Have you tried using the version in Synaptic, maybe you will get a different result with that.

tolremeno
June 27th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Oops, sorry. Yeah, Thunderbird. I'm so used to the mozilla forums that I always abbreviate it.

But no, the synaptic version is 1.5. I don't want to run 1.5. I want 2.0.4.

:-)

mig5
June 27th, 2007, 08:28 PM
When you run thunderbird without the terminal, from an icon i assume, do you know which command it is using? Maybe it isn't using the command thunderbird on its own, instead maybe thunderbird %F or something?
To test it make a new icon on the desktop and just type thunderbird as the command (or whatever the command that you are using in the terminal is).

Rui Pais
June 27th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Oops, sorry. Yeah, Thunderbird. I'm so used to the mozilla forums that I always abbreviate it.

But no, the synaptic version is 1.5. I don't want to run 1.5. I want 2.0.4.

:-)

I use this repo.
http://ubuntu.iuculano.it/dists/feisty/

Works 100% and with minimum effort :)

tolremeno
June 27th, 2007, 09:36 PM
When you run thunderbird without the terminal, from an icon i assume, do you know which command it is using? Maybe it isn't using the command thunderbird on its own, instead maybe thunderbird %F or something?
To test it make a new icon on the desktop and just type thunderbird as the command (or whatever the command that you are using in the terminal is).
Naw, it's just thunderbird. or mozilla-thunderbird. Both give me the error.

tolremeno
June 27th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I use this repo.
http://ubuntu.iuculano.it/dists/feisty/

Works 100% and with minimum effort :)
I think it's too late for that now. I'd have to uninstall what I've got, then reinstall through apt-get, then run that build.

nanotube
June 27th, 2007, 09:41 PM
ok... well, post the output of the following commands:

quit thunderbird completely, and see if you get anything from:

ps ax |grep thunder

see what version your thunderbird shortcut points to:

thunderbird --version

see if your thunderbird shortcut links to /opt, as it would if it was installed with ubuntuzilla.

ls -al /usr/bin/thunderbird

ok, we'll go from there. :)

tolremeno
June 27th, 2007, 09:50 PM
ok:

ps ax |grep thunder I get:

ps ax |grep thunder
dunno what that means.

thunderbird --version
2.0.0.4, as it should.

see if your thunderbird shortcut links to /opt, as it would if it was installed with ubuntuzilla.

ls -al /usr/bin/thunderbird
I get:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 2007-06-23 22:35 /usr/bin/thunderbird -> /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird

nanotube
June 28th, 2007, 12:49 AM
well, ok, so the first one means, no other tbird instance is running...
second one, as it should be
as is the third one...

hmm... now... go to system -> preferences -> main menu -> internet -> thunderbird, right click, properties, and see what it says in there.

tolremeno
June 28th, 2007, 01:01 AM
mozilla-thunderbird

nanotube
June 28th, 2007, 03:58 AM
hm, so what is the exact message that it gives when you try to

and i suppose

ls -al /usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird
also shows that it's linked to /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird ?

what is the exact message you get when you try to start it from the menu?

also, what's the output of

ps aux |grep 'thunder\|mozilla'

tolremeno
June 28th, 2007, 02:07 PM
The exact message I get w/o the terminal is:

Thunderbird is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Thunderbird process, or restart your system.
Incidentally, that's not one but two comma splices, but I suppose not all programmers are grammarians.

And yes to your second question:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 2007-06-23 22:35 /usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird -> /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird

The output of your third message is:

jah 10902 0.0 0.0 2884 800 pts/0 S+ 09:07 0:00 grep thunder\|mozilla

nanotube
June 28th, 2007, 02:38 PM
hmm, ok, so your process list does not show any mozilla processes...

what about:

ls -al .thunderbird/*.default/.parentlock
does this show that the .parentlock file exists?

if so, delete it, and try running from menu again.

also try the "lock" file in the same location.

also, could you tell me what extensions you have installed for thunderbird?

tolremeno
June 28th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Ok, I figured it out. Sorry for all the effort. Turns out it was a corrupted profile. For all of the years I've spent using mozilla, I should've thought of that sooner. Thanks!

nanotube
June 28th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Ok, I figured it out. Sorry for all the effort. Turns out it was a corrupted profile. For all of the years I've spent using mozilla, I should've thought of that sooner. Thanks!

heh well, i'm glad it all worket out. :)
out of curiosity, i wonder, did you figure out what exactly was corrupted about it, or did you just start with a fresh one?

tolremeno
June 29th, 2007, 01:14 AM
I just started with a fresh one.

I think something was wrong with the prefs.js, but it was too much effort to try to fix it, so I just created a whole new profile.

nanotube
June 29th, 2007, 03:52 AM
I just started with a fresh one.

I think something was wrong with the prefs.js, but it was too much effort to try to fix it, so I just created a whole new profile.

i see :) well, whatever works :)