PDA

View Full Version : k3b really sucks

Herix
June 15th, 2007, 08:14 AM
I was trying to use k3b to burn a cd. It crashed when trying copy the cd. Then I tried to just copy the files to a folder and create a data cd...still didn't work. Than, I just went to Nero website and downloaded Nero Linux; it ran just fine without any trouble......is there any opensource cd burning utility that works really well on linux? cuz that k3b REALLY SUCKS!!!!

Hallvor
June 15th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Too bad it didn`t work out for you. K3b is my first choice for burning. It works better for me than Nero ever did.

Kilz
June 15th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I was trying to use k3b to burn a cd. It crashed when trying copy the cd. Then I tried to just copy the files to a folder and create a data cd...still didn't work. Than, I just went to Nero website and downloaded Nero Linux; it ran just fine without any trouble......is there any opensource cd burning utility that works really well on linux? cuz that k3b REALLY SUCKS!!!!

k3b is one of the best burning applications linux has. For Gnome gnomebaker and graveman are pretty good to.

vexorian
June 15th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Report the bugs, it could be something odd about your cd burner not being too compatible with linux.

I would choose K3b over Nero everyday, it is much faster at burning stuff and ... it actually works, in windows I can't use Nero, it pretends to be working but it doesn't do anything, I tried upgrading Nero but it asks me to uninstall the previous version, and the previous version uninstaller would just crash. I tried removing folders but it didn't help, I don't feel like reinstalling windows just to do something I can already do after booting to Linux anyways.

wolfen69
June 15th, 2007, 04:24 PM
i have yet to have a bad burn with k3b. i love it. i assure you that your situation is not typical. and no, k3b does not suck. it just sucks for you.

Shay Stephens
June 15th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I suspect a hardware incompatibility or corrupt software or something. K3b has worked fantastic for me. I have used nerolinux but k3b has been better. And don't get me started about gnomebaker still not having any data verification.

wolfen69
June 16th, 2007, 05:42 AM
gnomebaker doesnt have verification? ive never used it, so i cant say. but you would think it would. k3b fits the bill for me.

Daisybobs
June 16th, 2007, 05:55 AM
I think brasero is a nice burning app for gnome.

barrydegraaff.tk
June 15th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Well both k3b and brasero aren't that bad. As long as you use it as it was intended to.

That means if you do something that falls out of the imaginary world of the people who made it... you are in for trouble.

For instance I have 10.000 mp3 files on my computer ordered as:
Artist name - Albumname/Track - Title.mp3

Now it is impossible to burn a selection of songs in a designated order to an MP3 cd. (my car is leased so I cannot install MP3 player)

K3b, brasero and gnome backer will do something like this:
01 - Song 01 artist 01
01 - Song 01 artist 02
01 - Song 01 artist 03

instead of
01 - Song 01 artist 01
02 - Song 02 artist 01
03 - Song 03 artist 01
01 - Song 01 artist 02
02 - Song 02 artist 02
03 - Song 03 artist 02
etc...

As far is I see not one application under linux is able to do what my mother can do with InfraRecorder under another operating system-

And this is very poor. ()

Barry

subslug
June 16th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Nero for Linux is just plain terrible. It's too constrictive.

Tried to burn a 708Mb iso image to a 700Mb blank, any other time it's no problem to just enable over burn but not on Nero. It just throws up a red flag and that's the end of that.

Even tried a blank DVD-rw and Nero balks at that too saying it's the wrong type of disc. I feel for people who have paid for Nero because K3B is easily as good as any CD burner out there.

Too bad I'm using Gnome and am still fighting with Brasero. Brasero used to be fairly nice but lately it's not much use either.:frown:

Polaris96
June 16th, 2009, 12:40 AM
I love K3b. I like everything about it - it's minimalist, it's intuitive, and, as with many of the other posters, it's never given me a bad burn.

I use Kde. Maybe it doesn't work as well in gnome?

pcdoctor
June 21st, 2009, 06:50 PM
I love K3b. I like everything about it - it's minimalist, it's intuitive, and, as with many of the other posters, it's never given me a bad burn.

I use Kde. Maybe it doesn't work as well in gnome?

Ditto, I love K3b and use KDE. I could care less about Nero. I just wish K3b was available for windows so I could install it on client's desktops and laptops.

evermooingcow
June 22nd, 2009, 02:02 AM
I think K3B is great but I never liked having to get all of the dependencies for KDE as a non-KDE user.

k3b is one of the best burning applications linux has. For Gnome gnomebaker and graveman are pretty good to.

Just installed graveman. Interface looks great! Minimal and functional. The only thing I would want added is a verify function but I guess I'll do that manually.

HappyFeet
June 22nd, 2009, 02:33 AM
I think K3B is great but I never liked having to get all of the dependencies for KDE as a non-KDE user.

Just installed graveman. Interface looks great! Minimal and functional. The only thing I would want added is a verify function but I guess I'll do that manually.

That's why I use Brasero. It's somewhat minimal, but does everything well, including verifying.

ukripper
June 22nd, 2009, 03:37 PM
K3b is the best burner for my needs although i use GNOME , shame it didn't work out for you.

medic2000
June 22nd, 2009, 07:07 PM
K3b is one of the greatest Linux application.Check other things.
I am using Xfce. So my choice is Xfburn.It is good and lightweight too.

T.J.
June 22nd, 2009, 07:23 PM
It's not your fault.

Firstly, the regular version of Ubuntu always has a few rough edges because it's a six month snapshot release. Usually this isn't a problem, but if you want absolute stable behaviour, I'd suggest using Debian or an Ubuntu LTS release instead. More time is spent on them getting the kinks out.

The developers that work on K3B haven't had time to port it to KDE 4 yet. The version that ships with Ubuntu 9.04 is from KDE 3, and is known to have occasional problems, since it was meant to be run under KDE 3, not Gnome. Gnome, in my opinion, has become less and less interoperable with non-Gnome programs as time as passed.

I've had K3B fail to verify disc data, but the data was actually just fine.

solwic
June 23rd, 2009, 04:01 PM
That's why I use Brasero. It's somewhat minimal, but does everything well, including verifying.

I used Brasero happily until they broke it in 9.04. I had a friend check it out, and his didn't work either. Worked fine in 8.04 and 8.10, but dead in Jaunty. Which is ok, since I'd heard everyone singing the praises of K3b on the forums here. I installed it and was happily surprised to find that it really is good burning software.

In a way, I'm kind of glad Brasero crapped out on me, since it led me to something better. :)

javyn999
June 28th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I like K3b lots too. The extra dependencies needed aren't bad.

Wiebelhaus
June 28th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I disagree but the one I've been using allot lately is the Linux offering from the Nero people , it's very good.

izizzle
June 28th, 2009, 09:52 PM
K3B does NOT suck. It has got to be one of the best cd/dvd burning apps available for linux, if not THE best. There was probably a problem with your system or setup that caused it to act the way it did.

1roxtar
June 28th, 2009, 10:04 PM
K3B works fine for me. I love it so much that I uninstalled Brasero which I didn't like at all.

:guitar:

Crafty Kisses
June 29th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I personally think k3b is great.

BigSilly
June 29th, 2009, 08:42 PM
K3b is fantastic. I miss it when I'm using Windows, put it that way.

What a silly topic. :rolleyes:

Tamlynmac
June 29th, 2009, 09:33 PM
iRun
In a way, I'm kind of glad Brasero crapped out on me, since it led me to something better. :smile:

As you indicated Brasero didn't work on my install of 9.04. K3b works fine and I've copied approximately 10 CD's since installing K3b. All the disk copied without an issue.

I still miss Brasero, but K3b is a quality replacement. Guess, like many things in life one must be flexible and use what works.

This issue is sooooo far down on my priority list that I hadn't even noticed Brasero wasn't working until receiving your feedback. Doubt I burn more than 10 or 15 disks a year.

Must thank you for bringing it to my attention, as had I tried to burn a disk in Brasero - my initial reaction would have been to investigate my hardware. Thanks again big guy.

agel1
June 29th, 2009, 10:21 PM
all the free linux burners have problem in my computer everytime i want to erase a cd or dvd in my usb samsung drive, i switch to nero linux and no more problems

BigSilly
June 30th, 2009, 09:02 PM
all the free linux burners have problem in my computer everytime i want to erase a cd or dvd in my usb samsung drive, i switch to nero linux and no more problems

Blimey. I have three different PC's running Ubuntu and K3b is absolutely brilliant on all of them. No problems. That said, I don't have a USB drive.

tsali
July 1st, 2009, 10:40 AM
Blimey. I have three different PC's running Ubuntu and K3b is absolutely brilliant on all of them. No problems. That said, I don't have a USB drive.

And oddly, since I've upgraded to Jaunty, all three of my machines can do nothing but burn coasters regardless of the application (Brasero, K3B)

I'm stuck burning in Windows until something gives...

ricardisimo
July 22nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Thank goodness for k3b. Brasero is quite simply stupefying. I have no idea what they're thinking making it the default burning utility. Every now and again when I'm feeling too good about life I try burning a disc with it. Half an hour later I'm nestled back in my comfortably harsh reality.

Brasero sucks dookie through a straw.

Tipped OuT
July 23rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
K3B does NOT suck. It has got to be one of the best cd/dvd burning apps available for linux, if not THE best. There was probably a problem with your system or setup that caused it to act the way it did.

+1 This is what I use to burn my CD/DVD's. Flawless.

snargfish
July 23rd, 2009, 10:40 PM
I like K3B. I'm looking forward to a KDE4 K4B(?) though.