PDA

View Full Version : Starcontrol in Wine?

Mimsy
June 14th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Has anyone tried to run Starcontrol, either of the three, in Wine? How did it go? How well did it work?

leech
June 14th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Why would you use it (well at least Star Control 2) in wine? There is a native version, in fact it's even in the repositories! Just run 'sudo apt-get install uqm' It's called The Ur-Quan Masters. It's a re-implementation of Star Control 2. Much like Exult for Ultima 7.

Leech

Mimsy
June 14th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I didn't know that...cool! Thanks. :)

Next question though: I want a desktop launcher for it, but can't find the files to associate that with, atleast not by just browsing. Where are they?

leech
June 14th, 2007, 04:58 PM
For a shortcut on the desktop, all you need to do is click on Applications -> Games -> The Ur-Quan Masters and drag it to your desktop.

Leech

Mimsy
June 14th, 2007, 05:40 PM
The only problem with that is that it's not in the Games menu. I tried to edit the menu through AlaCarte, but it's not there either. :(

I know it's installed, because when I type uqm into a terminal the game starts, and if I enable viewing of hidden folders in Nautilus I can see .uqm there, with a save folder and a data folder -- but no file that I can use to set up a launcher. Or if it is there, I'm too brain-washed into thinking in setup.exe terms to see it :D

leech
June 14th, 2007, 07:47 PM
That's quite odd, it should automatically create a Menu entry. Mine was put right under Tetravex and above Ultima 4.

If all else fails, you can always just create the launcher yourself and the command is /usr/games/uqm

Leech

Mimsy
June 14th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I'll try that when I get home tonight. That should work. Now, I need to go check out that list of available Ubuntu games... :D

Mimsy
June 15th, 2007, 02:53 AM
It's in the menu. Under Application -> Debian -> Games -> Arcade

Huh? How did it get there??? :???:

At least i have a launcher now. :)

MethosCR
January 7th, 2009, 08:00 PM
This port of Star Control 2 to GNU/Linux is so cool. Even better than the original (and that's too much to say).

Is there any port of Star Control 1 or 3 too?