PDA

View Full Version : FTW: Pink Floyd Kicks your ***

NightwishFreak
June 12th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Hello Everyone!! Pink Floyd is quite possibly one of, if not the most influencial progressive-concept rock bands of all time! I invite you all to list your favorite Floyd songs. Why? well...why not?? It's too hard for me to choose an absolute favorite, so here's my top 5 choices:

Comfortably Numb - The Wall
Money - Dark Side of the Moon
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (all parts) - Wish You Were Here
The Gnome - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Echoes - Meddle

Please join in!!

Bachstelze
June 12th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Shine On...
Hey You
Echoes
Money
Time

Nightwish is good too :D

runningwithscissors
June 12th, 2007, 05:29 AM
All songs off the Animals album.

crimesaucer
June 12th, 2007, 05:46 AM
(1.) Dogs
(2.) Pigs On The Wing 1, Pigs (Three Different Ones), Pigs On The Wing 2
(3.) Money
(4.) Young Lust
(5.) Have A Cigar (also the PRIMUS cover of this is really good)

@ runningwithscissors- It's difficult to not put all 5 songs from Animals as my favorite 5 Pink Floyd songs, since it's one of my favorite Albums ever.

Bluecircle
June 12th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Bike and Jugband Blues ;)

nutz
June 12th, 2007, 05:58 AM
I had a few tabs of pink floyd one time and they did kick my ***; speak on it!

Spr0k3t
June 12th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Have a Cigar is my favorite. Simply because they make fun of the RIAA and send a warning out to all new groups about to sign a deal with the record industry.

christhemonkey
June 12th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Pink Floyd FTW!!!!

Shine On...
Great Gig in the Sky
Bike
Welcome to the machine

and pretty much all of them kick ***!

argie
June 12th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Wish you were here
Welcome to the Machine
Sorrow
The Gunner's Dream

Those are my faves, but I like most of their songs, though I only have 3-4 albums on the computer, everything else is on tape cassettes that my dad bought a long while ago.

Mazza558
June 12th, 2007, 10:50 AM
-Sorrow
-Marooned
-Sheep
-Echoes
-High Hopes
-Shine On you Crazy Diamond
-Terminal Frost
-Keep Talking
-Great Gig in the Sky
-The whole of "Animals"
-Time
-Money

Need I say more?

r0ck80y
June 12th, 2007, 10:56 AM
all songs really...but my favorite ones:
* coming back to life
* wish u were here
* echoes
* whats'uh the deal
* take it back
* shine on...

Pink floyd is one of those bands u will njoi listening to wen ure high :P

graabein
June 12th, 2007, 12:08 PM
IMO Nightwish is complete and utter rubbish but Pink Floyd has a couple good albums.

My favourite is the first with Syd Barrett penning the songs and leading the band. That was a fun and exciting band. link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Piper_at_the_Gates_of_Dawn) Later they got boring and lost the playfulness. They got to be like U2 and those arena bands that sell millions of records even though they're not particularly good.

Take a look at Nightwish lyrcis (http://www.nightwish.com/en/band/lyrics?a=0) for some smiles. And people should seriously stop using FTW...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f3/PinkFloyd-album-piperatthegatesofdawn.jpg/200px-PinkFloyd-album-piperatthegatesofdawn.jpg

freakavoid
June 12th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Pink Floyd is quite possibly one of, if not the most influencial progressive-concept rock bands of all time!

Sorry to interrupt but i couldn't disagree more! "Influential progressive rock band"? god forbid that would be comparing them to Genesis, ELP, Yes etc. It's just not fair.

bonzodog
June 12th, 2007, 02:31 PM
My favourite Pink floyd songs are:

Wish you were Here
High Hopes
The Fletcher Memorial Home
Comfortably numb
Astronomy Domine
Shine on You Crazy Diamond

coder_
June 12th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Sorry to interrupt but i couldn't disagree more! "Influential progressive rock band"? god forbid that would be comparing them to Genesis, ELP, Yes etc. It's just not fair.
Glad to see some other prog-heads on the board! And yes, Pink Floyd isn't nearly as influential as Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant, or King Crimson!! And not near as creative as Van Der Graaf Generator, Magma, Gentle Giant, and others.

That being said, I'd have to say I'm into "Shine on You Crazy Diamond," "Echoes," and "Careful with that Axe, Eugene." But there are a lot of better prog bands in my opinion. Some I didn't list earlier that you may want to try out are: Anglagard, Area, PFM, Spock's Beard, or Wobbler.

But yes, it is great to see some progheads around here! Anyone else hang out at progarchives.com?

Lord Illidan
June 12th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I like both P.F. and Nightwish, though PF a bit more..and I also like Lacuna Coil.

That said, I like Hey You and Brain Damage the most! Also, High Hopes, Poles Apart, damn, most of their repertoire.

Foxmike
June 12th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Are we comparing Pink Floyd and Nightwish here?:) I love both for different reasons and for me their music is just too different to be compared. That being said, out of order:

- Echoes
- Shine (all parts)
- Have a Cigar
- Run like Hell (the live version is amazing...)
- Learning to fly for it reminds me great moments... :-D

stalker145
June 12th, 2007, 06:23 PM
"Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict"

"Mother"

"Wish You Were Here"

I could go on and on.

forrestcupp
June 12th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Can't believe only 2 people said "Great Gig in the Sky"

Shazaam
June 12th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Comfortably Numb live version on "Pulse" Saw them live during the Pulse tour.
OT has anybody heard Gilmore's "On an Island" album? Smile is my favorite from that one.

DrOlaf
June 12th, 2007, 06:57 PM
OK, here's my list...

1. Astronomy Domine
2. Interstellar Overdrive
3. pretty much anything from Animals (a very under-rated album IMHO)
4. One of These Days
5. The extended jams they did on the live versions of Fat Old Sun and Embryo on the late 60s/early 70s bootlegs

graabein
June 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Glad to see some other prog-heads on the board! And yes, Pink Floyd isn't nearly as influential as Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant, or King Crimson!! And not near as creative as Van Der Graaf Generator, Magma, Gentle Giant, and others.

That being said, I'd have to say I'm into "Shine on You Crazy Diamond," "Echoes," and "Careful with that Axe, Eugene." But there are a lot of better prog bands in my opinion. Some I didn't list earlier that you may want to try out are: Anglagard, Area, PFM, Spock's Beard, or Wobbler.

But yes, it is great to see some progheads around here! Anyone else hang out at progarchives.com?

Yeah, Van Der Graaf Generator!! They're my favourite prog band along with King Crimson and Jethro Tull. I don't listen to prog much any more but I feel those bands are great no matter what genre's being discussed. I should give Gentle Giant another listen and I've never even heard of Magma...

If you like Pink Floyd and/or prog/space rock then check out Seid (http://www.flying.to/seid) from Norway. They regrettably split up last year.

dca
June 27th, 2007, 02:51 PM
You want to really start a war:

Pink Floyd ain't sh** w/o Roger Waters!!! I can't argue that enough. The albums they made after he split are just music for people who don't like music, sorry Dave but that's how I feel...

Even the Roger Waters concerts I've went to were better than the post RW Pink Floyd concerts.

Oh,

Dogs
Have A Cigar
Young Lust

I, too, believe Animals and the Final Cut are unappreciated. Granted, the only one besides myself I think to appreciate 'The Final Cut' is Roger Waters... 'Not Now John' is a great cut off that album, too...

PryGuy
June 27th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Echoes
Money
Astronomy Domine
Us And Them

5 songs is not enough!!! LOL

aroth87
June 27th, 2007, 07:03 PM
1. One of these Days
By and far my favorite PF song.
The rest are in no particular order, just 4 other songs that I find myself listening to a lot.

Shine on...
Astronomy Domine
Set the Controls...
Sheep

Comfortably Numb, Wish you were here, and Great Gig and right up there though.

I agree about Animals, great album.
I really like Meddle too, its kind of different.

Adam

bicchi
August 12th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Wish you were here
Comfortably Numb
Time
Hey You
Money
Breathe
Another brick in the wall
Shine On You Crazy
Take it back
What do you want from me
Coming back to life
Learn to Fly
On the turning away
Keep talking
Pigs
The final cut

For the fans of Stephen Hawking voice in Keep Talking:

echo "For millions of years mankind lived just like animals. Then something happened
which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk" | espeak

Ultra Magnus
August 12th, 2007, 11:57 AM
-Comfortably numb
-interstellar overdrive
-wish you were here
-eclipse
-time

- Dark side of the moon always reminds me of playing wolfenstein 3d when I was a boy - ah the memories

handy
August 12th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Pink Floyd are great, I think Frank Zappa was far more influential with regards to his effect on other musicians.

Bike
One of these days
St Tropez
Comfortably Numb (from The Delicate Sound of Thunder)
Have a Cigar