PDA

View Full Version : Thinking up alternate spellings for "Microsoft" does NOT make you look smarter.

Sp4cedOut
June 12th, 2007, 04:37 AM
It makes you look immature.

I've seen:
Micro$oft ,Micro$$oft, etc... (or in regular expression form: Micro$+oft)
Microsucks
Micro****
WinBLOWS
and even WinSUCKS, which doesn't even sound like Windows.

It's usually from Mac users, but occasionally I see it from Linux users as well. I think this is counter-productive for two reasons.

First, it makes you, and by extension Linux users look immature. Changing a proper noun to carry an insult looks immature unless it's used in a witty and original way. I want to stress the word "original." If you're at a party and someone tells a clever joke, you wouldn't stand up and repeat that joke, would you? So if people all over the internet are spelling "Windows" "Winblows", you spelling it "Winblows" does not make you look clever, it just shows that you can follow a crowd.

Just say it out loud: "I don't use WinBLOWS, I use Linux." That sounds like something a little kid would say, not and adult.

Second, it makes it look like we use Linux because we hate Microsoft, which I hope isn't true. When I tell people about Linux, I hardly ever mention Windows, I just focus on the positive aspects of Linux. I think this is a serious problem. I've met many people, including my Dad, who thought people used Linux because they hate Microsoft and want to be different. We should show that Linux is not just some alternative for disgruntled Windows users, but a good operating system on it's own.

yabbadabbadont
June 12th, 2007, 04:38 AM
You forgot: Microshaft

:D

ThinkBuntu
June 12th, 2007, 04:38 AM
It makes me chuckle when people make fun of Microsoft, whether deliberately or by using bastardized versions of its corporate monikers. Apparently I'm wrong and immature.

Linux Killer!
June 12th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Agree with you 100% Sp4cedOut.

Having fun is one thing. Thinking that typing M$ is "funny" is another. If that's funny, I suppose Linux users need to find better examples of humor.

It's been done to DEATH. Haven't we got any other methods of having a go at Microsoft?

RAV TUX
June 12th, 2007, 04:47 AM
http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/9702/postiig9.gif (http://imageshack.us)(joking)

old_geekster
June 12th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Two very well-stated points.

I don't believe that most folks do hate Microsoft, however. They simple are saying what they believe will make others accept them. It is a way to get attention.

While I realize that two wrongs don't make a right, read what some of the websites of Windows users have to say about Linux. They are certainly no better or more mature than those who curse Microsoft.

I for one, use Feisty and love it. I do, however, have XP Pro on my main drive. For the near future, I will continue to use XP until it is no longer supported. Then, Ubuntu will become my primary OS. I can't see bullding a new computer just to keep up with the Joneses.

yabbadabbadont
June 12th, 2007, 04:52 AM
While I realize that two wrongs don't make a right ...

No, but three lefts do.

:-\"

Linux Killer!
June 12th, 2007, 04:53 AM
I can't see bullding a new computer just to keep up with the Joneses.
If by Joneses you me the rest of the WORLD, then that's your problem.

I however will continue to have a partition for Windows so that I can view the documents/media that cannot be properly read in Linux, run the software necessary to connect my Nokia 6060 (OOPS!), and so on. Keeping yourself compatible with the vast majority of computer systems is still very important.

Sp4cedOut
June 12th, 2007, 05:02 AM
While I realize that two wrongs don't make a right, read what some of the websites of Windows users have to say about Linux. They are certainly no better or more mature than those who curse Microsoft.

First of all, thank you.

In my experience, Linux users tend to be more mature and knowledgeable when operating systems arguments start online.

But I also know that there is immaturity on all sides of the debate, my goal is to get more people on my side to rise above it and give others are more positive view of Linux.

Salpiche
June 12th, 2007, 05:12 AM
I have to agree 100% with both points and add that as Linux users we just need to be better than those that either insult, windows or Linux, instead of attacking other OS we can learn them as well, while we help the growth of Linux in the desktop. At least that's what I am planing to do on my end and have been doing for the last several years. My children for example can use, troubleshoot, install, repair, and teach others how to use Windows, OS X, OS 9, Fedora, and Ubuntu. My elder son has three computers, one Mac Mini, and two HP Pavilions (one has multiple boot Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Fedora and the other just Ubuntu). I also have multiple computers running several OS's from Windows 2000 to OS X, yet I prefer Ubuntu as my main desktop OS.

just my two cents

:popcorn:

Bachstelze
June 12th, 2007, 05:14 AM
instead of attacking other OS we can learn them as well

Funny to read that from someone who only runs Windows, Mas OS and Ubuntu :D

steven8
June 12th, 2007, 05:18 AM
First of all, thank you.

In my experience, Linux users tend to be more mature and knowledgeable when operating systems arguments start online.

But I also know that there is immaturity on all sides of the debate, my goal is to get more people on my side to rise above it and give others are more positive view of Linux.

I don't believe that most folks do hate Microsoft, however. They simple are saying what they believe will make others accept them. It is a way to get attention.

I do not use other spellings of Microsoft for any reason, and yet I do NOT like Microsoft one tiny bit. I detest them for trying to hold the world hostage by using monopolistic business practices. No sense anyone really replying to that with an opposite view point, because there is not enough spin in the world to change what is going on.

However, it is not just Microsoft. It's so many huge corporations who control our lives by controlling our goverments every day. It's all just such a shame.

I'll stick with Linux. If it requires windows, I don't require it.

tehhaxorr
June 12th, 2007, 05:19 AM
To thread starter:

Who are you to comment on personal expression dipshit? you know that there is a large number of people in the linux community who despise microsoft, they are giant corporate douchebags with the morals of cannibals and pedophiles.

Why are we stupid for hating microsoft? Why in the world should i respect a corporation who completely disregards the users and puts the users in a position of dependence on their product, they are like dealers selling crack getting people into a situation of dependency. They aren't even working for the users anymore, they users work for them with constant restrictions and privacy scares. Heard of Palladium (sp?)? Windows Genuine Advantage? Seriously, when any company begins to treat their customers like that you should expect a certain level of anger.

RAV TUX
June 12th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Read my recent post here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2827362#post2827362

You'll see I have not mis-spelled Microsoft, respectively.

Linux Killer!
June 12th, 2007, 05:23 AM
To thread starter:

Who are you to comment on personal expression dipshit? you know that there is a large number of people in the linux community who despise microsoft, they are giant corporate douchebags with the morals of cannibals and pedophiles.

Why are we stupid for hating microsoft? Why in the world should i respect a corporation who completely disregards the users and puts the users in a position of dependence on their product, they are like dealers selling crack getting people into a situation of dependency. They aren't even working for the users anymore, they users work for them with constant restrictions and privacy scares. Heard of Palladium (sp?)? Windows Genuine Advantage? Seriously, when any company begins to treat their customers like that you should expect a certain level of anger.
Your anger is unprofessional. A mature response would be to intelligently attack Microsoft rather than just simply misspell their name. How are we suppose to be taken seriously if we lash out at the competition in such a childish manner? THAT's the issue at hand I think.

DeadSuperHero
June 12th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Nice, RT. I thought that was clever, and yet took juust enough of a blow at Microsoft to still retain the general attitude.
Why not just bash Angel Soft toilet paper, or Micro Machines? They're longer, and funnier.

Who are you to comment on his comment? I don't believe your name is Linus, or Bill, or Steve.
Yes, Micosoft seems to do some shady business practices.
When this happened back in the 1900's with rail road companies, Teddy Roosevelt disbanded them.
So, what's stopping the government from telling Microsoft to take it easy? Nothing at all.
Remember, don't subscribe to the mob mentality. Make your own decisions, mate.

runningwithscissors
June 12th, 2007, 05:28 AM
I just do it to see idiots get worked up over it.

Me: M$
Supposedly mature fellow: ZOMG! U WROTE MICROSOFT WIV A $ SIGN, UR SUCH AN IMMATURE LUNIX ZEALOT!!!!111!1LOLZ!1

Omnios
June 12th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Hi you kind of got a point but I tend to use winblows allot even when talking to my dad but I am not trying to be funny nor do I hate Microsoft. Actually after using Ubuntu and trying other distros for 4 years now I actually think windblows blows but thats my personal opinion. Haven't tryed VIsta yet so have no comment on that version of windows yet.

Anyways over the last six months or so I have been stopped using windblows and other colorful references after reading a post by admin asking users to stop using anti windlows and other anti Micro Literature.

Now the flame
K what is Blue and costs $500

DeadSuperHero
June 12th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Yeah, but if we keep insulting other OS's like Microsoft, that doesn't make us Linux users. It makes us Lindicks.

slimdog360
June 12th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Agree with you 100% Sp4cedOut.

dam it, you stole my joke

Linux Killer!
June 12th, 2007, 05:33 AM
I just do it to see idiots get worked up over it.

Me: M$
Supposedly mature fellow: ZOMG! U WROTE MICROSOFT WIV A $ SIGN, UR SUCH AN IMMATURE LUNIX ZEALOT!!!!111!1LOLZ!1
Oh come off it. I can call you a zealot without having to resort to kiddy-type.

If there's one thing I hate on the net more than M$ & co, is "leet-speak" or whatever the hell it's called these days. That and excessive use of the word "lol".

dam it, you stole my joke
I made a funny? I'm confused and didn't even do it deliberately. :)

RAV TUX
June 12th, 2007, 05:34 AM

I've seen:
Microsucks
Micro****
WinBLOWS

It's usually from Mac users, but occasionally I see it from Linux users as well. I think this is counter-productive for two reasons.

First, it makes you, and by extension Linux users look immature. Changing a proper noun to carry an insult looks immature unless it's used in a witty and original way. I want to stress the word "original." If you're at a party and someone tells a clever joke, you wouldn't stand up and repeat that joke, would you? So if people all over the internet are spelling "Windows" "Winblows", you spelling it "Winblows" does not make you look clever, it just shows that you can follow a crowd.

Just say it out loud: "I don't use WinBLOWS, I use Linux." That sounds like something a little kid would say, not and adult.

Second, it makes it look like we use Linux because we hate Microsoft, which I hope isn't true. When I tell people about Linux, I hardly ever mention Windows, I just focus on the positive aspects of Linux. I think this is a serious problem. I've met many people, including my Dad, who thought people used Linux because they hate Microsoft and want to be different. We should show that Linux is not just some alternative for disgruntled Windows users, but a good operating system on it's own.

Honestly, I think most people use the short hand MS for Microsoft.

neorou
June 12th, 2007, 05:36 AM
To thread starter:

I can not say it any better than tehhaxorr. The dependence part is why I despise dealing with Microsoft. I have family and in-laws who ask me simple and silly IT support questions about Microsoft. When I try to convince them to try linux, the refuse. The only reason is they can't find familiar GUI features. Anything that looks different they can't use.

Then there is the whole license sales issue. I work for a research institution. We survive on writing grants. A certain level of nepotism imbued in the higher IT structures have caused us to continue to depend on Microsoft because of their say-so. According to their financial analysis it is cheaper for us to stick with Microsoft. the real reason is that these old guys can not LEARN a new system and are too lazy to figure out how to deploy and support business systems on a large scale. They are what's wrong and companies like Microsoft totally take advantage of that.

It's true that there are new linux users out there that are simply regurgitating old wordplay, however, if that helps us decompress and express our distaste of Microsoft on a LINUX forum, then what's the big deal? MIcrosoft steals ideas all the time, and label it their own. That sounds awfully childish to me.

Salpiche
June 12th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Funny to read that from someone who only runs Windows, Mas OS and Ubuntu :D

LOL!
Funny to see how much you read!

"I also have multiple computers running several OS's from Windows 2000 to OS X, yet I prefer Ubuntu as my main desktop OS."

well if you want a list let me know, I have not spent 20 years behing several computer systems for nothig...

end

loell
June 12th, 2007, 05:43 AM
heh, :p

I use M$ for microsoft many times, yet i don't feel smarter, nor do i want to convey myself as smart when i use M$.

its just that i'm used to it.

just bear in mind that theres a division between alternate spelling users and bashers.

;)

slimdog360
June 12th, 2007, 05:46 AM
I made a funny? I'm confused and didn't even do it deliberately. :)
Cause 'Sp4cedOut' spells his name with a '4' instead of an 'a'

RAV TUX
June 12th, 2007, 05:46 AM
heh, :p

I use M$ for microsoft many times, yet i don't feel smarter, nor do i want to convey myself as smart when i use M$.

its just that i'm used to it.

just bear in mind that theres a division between alternate spelling users and bashers.

;)Excellent point, both MS and M$ are both appropiate shorthand terms for Microsoft and there is no MS bashing going on.

Linux Killer!
June 12th, 2007, 05:47 AM
MIcrosoft steals ideas all the time, and label it their own. That sounds awfully childish to me.
Sounds like good business to me. Everyone steals ideas, even in Linux (that ain't a bash, it's just a fact of life).

runningwithscissors
June 12th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Oh come off it. I can call you a zealot without having to resort to kiddy-type.

If there's one thing I hate on the net more than M$ & co, is "leet-speak" or whatever the hell it's called these days. That and excessive use of the word "lol".I only used pseudo-leet-speak to emphasise the reaction that a simple $ sign causes. I myself never use those alternative spellings but in jest. Yes, it is a bit childish to write Microsuck and Winblows but I don't really care when people do it. It's not of the slightest concern to me. Same goes for those who spell Linux as Lunix.

SoulinEther
June 12th, 2007, 06:18 AM
If you make fun of Microsoft slyly by using alternative names like Macrocrack, Micromanagingyourcomputer, Micro$oft, or Macro$$$, you get branded immature and nobody likes you.

If you express your frustration and dissatisfaction for Microsoft in a dignified and respectable way, they sic their lawyers on you to shut you up.

It's a lose-lose situation. Best bet is to simply STOP REFERRING TO MICROSOFT OR WINDOWS. Gee, how does that make you feel, not at all being part of the conversation? That is the ultimate insult.

Mac Dude: Hey Linux, how are you doing today?

Linux Dude: Pretty good, how about you?

Mac: Good, thanks for asking.

Microsoft Dude: Hey, why didn't you ask me how my day's going?

Linux: Say, is that your new Time Machine?

Mac: Yep, you wanna give it a try?

Linux: Sure, why not?

Microsoft: My day went well, thanks for asking, my value on the stock market is going up.

Mac: Where do you want to go?

Linux: Oh, fifteen years into the future.

Microsoft: Can I come too?

Mac: Aaaaaaaaand here we are.

Linux: Hey wasn't there this really annoying dude talking to us?

Mac: Where? I don't think he exists any more.

Linux: What a shame. Oh well.

Linux Killer!
June 12th, 2007, 06:24 AM
It's a lose-lose situation. Best bet is to simply STOP REFERRING TO MICROSOFT OR WINDOWS. Gee, how does that make you feel, not at all being part of the conversation? That is the ultimate insult.

<snip>
Ohhh, I just hate that. It's by far the MOST effective way to make a person feel like crap, and that's without having to even utter a single word to them!

I gotta try it more often. :)

wulfhound
June 12th, 2007, 07:01 AM
If by Joneses you me the rest of the WORLD, then that's your problem.

I however will continue to have a partition for Windows so that I can view the documents/media that cannot be properly read in Linux, run the software necessary to connect my Nokia 6060 (OOPS!), and so on. Keeping yourself compatible with the vast majority of computer systems is still very important.

FYI, even Nasa doesn't bother upgrading very often. And many centers made absolutely sure every time they needed a new computer, that it didn't have VISTA on it at all.

98 seems to be the OS of choice behind many computers at stores, even ATMS (I have seen a great deal of these machines offline at a Meijer).

So by the world, yes, the world really doesn't bother upgrading unless it HAS to. Otherwise it leaves well enough alone. That's why insurance companies still pay C programmers boatloads of money a year. That's right. C.

Pfft :)

L

jrusso2
June 12th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Who cares, Microsoft deserves all the abuse it can get as far as I am concerned. Many of us have a dislike for their products and their practices.

So I could care less what names people use

SoulinEther
June 12th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Imagine if the Hubble telescope was running new cameras.............. hell, the images would be amazing.

karellen
June 12th, 2007, 07:33 AM
totally agree with the thread starter. it's childish, imature, without any point and meaning, and puts the linux community in a bad light (and I don't care if the windows' fans do the same, this is not an excuse)....we can do better than misspelling the name of microsoft/windows...

eentonig
June 12th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Funny how people always fight over semantics. And how people get upset because they fight over semantics.

Circus-Killer
June 12th, 2007, 07:40 AM

I've seen:
Microsucks
Micro****
WinBLOWS

personally, i think this poster go it the other way around. a post like this, so long winded, focused just on purely the way people speak. now thats immature! get a life dude. seriously, who cares if a poster refers to windows as windows, or as windblows. it aint about tryna look smart. however, the original poster did try to look smart, and ended up looking like more of a fool than the fools he speaks of.

Spr0k3t
June 12th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Cause 'Sp4cedOut' spells his name with a '4' instead of an 'a'

So what's wrong with that? :D

I'm surprised he doesn't use a 0 instead of a capital O, let alone a 3 instead of e. It's a trend I tell you. Anyway, back on topic... MacroSuck will always be incorrectly referred to as Microsoft. What's amazing though, people recognize the name regardless of how you say it, write it, or abuse it. Even when it's "properly" used, there is generally a snide remark or thought roaming somewhere. It's like using the word "Ociffer" instead of "Officer" even in front of someone in law enforcement... it's old, but they've heard it so many times that it's generally accepted.

karellen
June 12th, 2007, 08:25 AM
personally, i think this poster go it the other way around. a post like this, so long winded, focused just on purely the way people speak. now thats immature! get a life dude. seriously, who cares if a poster refers to windows as windows, or as windblows. it aint about tryna look smart. however, the original poster did try to look smart, and ended up looking like more of a fool than the fools he speaks of.

the way people speak (should) reflect the way they think (or at least trying to do so). so it's important in my opinion too. I don't believe that wanting people to speak and write correctly (not like 12 years illiterates) makes somebody fool or stupid. I'm on the same side of the fence with Sp4cedOut regarding this problem. I don't want to offend anyone, deliberate improper spelling it just seems childish and immature to me, but "trendy" - as the main purpose is to catch somehow the attention. It's not very polite of you to say to somebody who you don't know "get a life" only because he wants people to write words proper, no to say more...we are all strangers one to each other on this huge network...so maybe we could some more care when we are referring to others.

Chayak
June 12th, 2007, 08:36 AM
The same with 1337 5p3@k if you ask me.

steven8
June 12th, 2007, 09:01 AM
The same with 1337 5p3@k if you ask me.

Ha! I finally see it. Leet Speak. I've never done it, and it just looks so silly. I was happy to finally make some sense of the symbols being used.

Chilli Bob
June 12th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Changing a proper noun to carry an insult looks immature unless it's used in a witty and original way. I want to stress the word "original." If you're at a party and someone tells a clever joke, you wouldn't stand up and repeat that joke, would you?

Who ever said is was supposed to be funny or original? It's a sign of contempt, not a joke.

Second, it makes it look like we use Linux because we hate Microsoft, which I hope isn't true.

I do use Linux because I hate Microsoft. I originally tried Linux because I was sick of the sight of Windows and wanted it out of my life. The fact that Ubuntu has worked so amazingly well is an unexpected bonus.

Spr0k3t
June 12th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I do use Linux because I hate Microsoft. I originally tried Linux because I was sick of the sight of Windows and wanted it out of my life.

Truer words could not be spoken by many who deface the name. I've always hated Microsoft not for their success but in everything else they do. That said, I study the writings and speeches of Ballmer and Gates so as not to become oblivious of mein enemy.

Enverex
June 12th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I agree with the OP. Everytime I see someone say "M$" or "Winblows" I immediately assume the person is very immature and remove all weight from anything they say. It's just childish.

steven8
June 12th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Truer words could not be spoken by many who deface the name. I've always hated Microsoft not for their success but in everything else they do. That said, I study the writings and speeches of Ballmer and Gates so as not to become oblivious of mein enemy.

It's like teaching your kids to be not only good losers, but good winners as well. With a company, there is nothing wrong with being successful, it's what you do with that success that counts. Do you use that success for good, or do you use your new-found leverage to grind other competitors to dust so you can stay on top.

Circus-Killer
June 12th, 2007, 09:57 AM
the way people speak (should) reflect the way they think (or at least trying to do so). so it's important in my opinion too. I don't believe that wanting people to speak and write correctly (not like 12 years illiterates) makes somebody fool or stupid. I'm on the same side of the fence with Sp4cedOut regarding this problem. I don't want to offend anyone, deliberate improper spelling it just seems childish and immature to me, but "trendy" - as the main purpose is to catch somehow the attention. It's not very polite of you to say to somebody who you don't know "get a life" only because he wants people to write words proper, no to say more...we are all strangers one to each other on this huge network...so maybe we could some more care when we are referring to others.

slang has forever been a part of english, and it is what lets english evolve the way it has. if it wasnt for the way people talk, and change things to suit themselves, then we would all still be speaking like shakespeare.

furthermore you are suggesting that people talk the way YOU want them to, ultimately destroying their right to express themselves in the way that they choose. also, you stunt the persons creativity. if everybody spoke with the same grammer/pronounciation/language we would indeed be living in a very dull world. needless to say, i just think its ridiculous that you want people to be just like you, and do as you do. point is, if you want to spell microsoft properly, do so. but that does not give you the right to tell people how they must spell it, especially when such spellings often convey a message of how that person feels towards said company.

to sum it up, you cant stop people from expressing themselves just because you disagree with it.

argie
June 12th, 2007, 11:03 AM
slang has forever been a part of english, and it is what lets english evolve the way it has. if it wasnt for the way people talk, and change things to suit themselves, then we would all still be speaking like shakespeare.
Funny that, because Shakespeare invented a lot of words and didn't just stick to what was around:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_invented_by_Shakespeare#List _of_Words_first_used_by_Shakespeare

steven8
June 12th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Funny that, because Shakespeare invented a lot of words and didn't just stick to what was around:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_invented_by_Shakespeare#List _of_Words_first_used_by_Shakespeare

Which actually proves his point even more. Language evolves, eh?

karellen
June 12th, 2007, 11:21 AM

furthermore you are suggesting that people talk the way YOU want them to, ultimately destroying their right to express themselves in the way that they choose. also, you stunt the persons creativity. if everybody spoke with the same grammer/pronounciation/language we would indeed be living in a very dull world. needless to say, i just think its ridiculous that you want people to be just like you, and do as you do. point is, if you want to spell microsoft properly, do so. but that does not give you the right to tell people how they must spell it, especially when such spellings often convey a message of how that person feels towards said company.

to sum it up, you cant stop people from expressing themselves just because you disagree with it.

I don't want people to talk like me. I'm not even a native English speaker. but a language has a grammar and rules, you must agree with this. and until these rules change (in a great amount of time) people should respect them. it's just a matter of personal opinion, I'm not trying to enforce a rule here. and in this particular case, we were talking about a deliberate misspelling expressing a unproductive and childish (again, it's just me) attitude...

argie
June 12th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Which actually proves his point even more. Language evolves, eh?

Agreed. Anyone who has trouble believing that need look no further than google: v. in the OED :)

smoker
June 12th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Thinking up alternate spellings for "Microsoft" does NOT make you look smarter.

i don't think for a minute that is the point. it is all a bit of fun really, and i love to see a new original bastardisation of microsoft or windows.

luca_linux
June 12th, 2007, 11:45 AM

I've seen:
Microsucks
Micro****
WinBLOWS

I completely agree with you.
1) I do not understand why people have to hate Microsoft, which is just a corporation doing its business.
2) Closed source is not devil...I wish there were more ports of closed source applications, such as lots of CADs, professional business applications, etc., so that Linux would get the final boost to success.
3) I use Linux (and BSD) because I think it's a great OS (from a Computer Science point of view) not because it's free (in the meaning of money) nor strictly because of open source (even though I share it).
4) So I'm not on the side of those who want to keep proprietary applications away from Linux. If they are open, it's better; but if they are not, that's ok anyway.
What's important is that Linux really becomes productive.
5) Let's stop caring that much about licenses...(see what's happening with ZFS, which itself is wonderful)

lightrush
June 13th, 2007, 07:11 AM
sry for double post :roll:

lightrush
June 13th, 2007, 07:37 AM
First off
I want to say to the "mature" people who are insulting in a way calling others "immature" for using certain words or hating Microsoft the following:

Guys, if u were really mature people you would have already understood that u CANT make an immature person grow up by calling him "immature". The only thing u accomplish by doing that is offend the person and make him react back. Maturity comes with the experience actually even not with the time. Someone can accept something only when he realizes it for himself, only when the calculation appears in his own brain and only if it seems valid and logical enough. The only positive thing for that to happen u can do is add more variables to the calculation - SHARE ur point of view and the experience that led you to it. So take a look at yourselves once again because I think u still have a path to walk. What u do is not the right way to reach ur aim.

Second
I want to ask the "mature" ppl which are stating others not to be smart for hating MS the following:

Guys, since when r u using Linux? For how long have u been using MS products?

Third
As a person who has been using DOS at the age of 5 on a modified clone of Apple II, after that everything else from their product line including DOS 5, 6.22, WIN 3.1, 3.11, 95, 95 OSR2, 98, 98SE, Me, 2000, XP, 2003 Server, and all Betas of Vista including the first leaked Alpha named Longhorn 2 years ago and the Final Vista - I can tell that I know everything about them, I have used them all my life, I know every single button by heart, I know every single tweak one culd do to make them work faster; Do you understand that Windows was like part of me? And after all that time they still didnt succeed to bring a system that could work for more than 2 months without braking down in some way! It was normal thing to reinstall my system every 1-2 months at most and I was TAUGHT by them to accept that as normal and I was accepting it... And after all this time now when I am 21 ( u can calculate the years) I am using something that excels MS in pretty much every way and you know what? I see myself sitting in front of that beautiful system as a cripple! And I still am a cripple trying to start walking. They have crippled and they are crippling all their users' minds making them unable to operate anything that doesnt have START button; and whenever they see a command line, they start screaming "WTF IS THAT!". And after all this time being a zombie and u wake up and see the real damage caused to your own mind all because of them... Trust me - hatred is the most normal feeling that one would feel.

I dont support flaming or bashing... that doesnt achieve anything good. My point is - "mature" ppl, be real mature ppl and become able to place urself @ other's ppl position and try to understand others ppl points of view. That is mature. By flaming someone being immature or childish because using M$ or whatever - u r doing the EXACT same thing when that one uses the M$ word!

I hate MS and I try dezombizize anyone I can whenever I have an opportunity to do so. This is my way to respond to their attitude to me - I will get every customer of theirs I can who comes across - give him to read a few lines of text and open his eyes. Because people deserve to have the knowledge. The same these people that made Linux happen because someone gave them piece of text to read. Some folks here dont realize that Linux (FOSS) is not a piece of code. Linux is far more than an that - Linux is Community - a way of thinking backed by lots of people. Many ppl out there have had written OSes or other piece of code but what made Linux to become what is it now is that it happened the ppl behind and in front of it got the right way of thinking. Believe it or not Linux really can change one's way of thinking. Help others understand what u had already understood.

PS:
That hatred is normal and for a normal human being it would disappear in time as it happens with me. But initially ... it is completely normal reaction, maybe not the best one but normal. Actually no reaction about anything is good when it involves feelings especially the strong ones like love and hatred.

I dont think that there is a word dezombizize but sounds funny.

By saying "Linux" I mean the whole (FOSS) community.

I really want an answer on my 2nd point.

I am challenging you for longer post than this one the topic! (Quotes doesnt count)

Spr0k3t
June 13th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Lightrush, that is an extremely well done repost to the OP and the majority of the thread. If I could give you karma, I would.

My timeline:
81 - 88: Commadore stuffs (PET)
82 - 86: Unix/VMS/DEC Alpha
84 - 84.1: Apple II (YUCK)
84 - 88: Macintosh/Apple
87 - 03: Amiga (still have many systems though)
89 - 91: Amiga/UX (system fried in 91)
95 - 06: That one company
93 - 04: Apple
07 - : Linux (Best I've used to date, but miss some features of others)

So, as you can see... my background is quite diverse. I /root/ for the underdogs. Stands to reason why I'm a cubs fan to boot. Through the majority of the time I had nothing but that one system on my computers, it was for development and education only... not choice. I still hate M$ with a passion and quite possibly always will. What's interesting though, the one I've used the most is the one that taught me the most about Windows and how it works... but it wasn't Windows.

lightrush
June 13th, 2007, 08:12 AM
My timeline:
81 - 88: Commadore stuffs (PET)
82 - 86: Unix/VMS/DEC Alpha
84 - 84.1: Apple II (YUCK)
84 - 88: Macintosh/Apple
87 - 03: Amiga (still have many systems though)
89 - 91: Amiga/UX (system fried in 91)
95 - 06: That one company
93 - 04: Apple
07 - : Linux (Best I've used to date, but miss some features of others)

I would say that I envy u - u've lived through quite interesting times and I wish I had too. :)

Unfortunately I was born with MS and didnt learn alot from it through these 16 years... which I sincerely regret.

karellen
June 13th, 2007, 09:05 AM
First off
I want to say to the "mature" people who are insulting in a way calling others "immature" for using certain words or hating Microsoft the following:

Guys, if u were really mature people you would have already understood that u CANT make an immature person grow up by calling him "immature". The only thing u accomplish by doing that is offend the person and make him react back. Maturity comes with the experience actually even not with the time. Someone can accept something only when he realizes it for himself, only when the calculation appears in his own brain and only if it seems valid and logical enough. The only positive thing for that to happen u can do is add more variables to the calculation - SHARE ur point of view and the experience that led you to it. So take a look at yourselves once again because I think u still have a path to walk. What u do is not the right way to reach ur aim.

Second
I want to ask the "mature" ppl which are stating others not to be smart for hating MS the following:

Guys, since when r u using Linux? For how long have u been using MS products?

Third
As a person who has been using DOS at the age of 5 on a modified clone of Apple II, after that everything else from their product line including DOS 5, 6.22, WIN 3.1, 3.11, 95, 95 OSR2, 98, 98SE, Me, 2000, XP, 2003 Server, and all Betas of Vista including the first leaked Alpha named Longhorn 2 years ago and the Final Vista - I can tell that I know everything about them, I have used them all my life, I know every single button by heart, I know every single tweak one culd do to make them work faster; Do you understand that Windows was like part of me? And after all that time they still didnt succeed to bring a system that could work for more than 2 months without braking down in some way! It was normal thing to reinstall my system every 1-2 months at most and I was TAUGHT by them to accept that as normal and I was accepting it... And after all this time now when I am 21 ( u can calculate the years) I am using something that excels MS in pretty much every way and you know what? I see myself sitting in front of that beautiful system as a cripple! And I still am a cripple trying to start walking. They have crippled and they are crippling all their users' minds making them unable to operate anything that doesnt have START button; and whenever they see a command line, they start screaming "WTF IS THAT!". And after all this time being a zombie and u wake up and see the real damage caused to your own mind all because of them... Trust me - hatred is the most normal feeling that one would feel.

I dont support flaming or bashing... that doesnt achieve anything good. My point is - "mature" ppl, be real mature ppl and become able to place urself @ other's ppl position and try to understand others ppl points of view. That is mature. By flaming someone being immature or childish because using M$ or whatever - u r doing the EXACT same thing when that one uses the M$ word!

I hate MS and I try dezombizize anyone I can whenever I have an opportunity to do so. This is my way to respond to their attitude to me - I will get every customer of theirs I can who comes across - give him to read a few lines of text and open his eyes. Because people deserve to have the knowledge. The same these people that made Linux happen because someone gave them piece of text to read. Some folks here dont realize that Linux (FOSS) is not a piece of code. Linux is far more than an that - Linux is Community - a way of thinking backed by lots of people. Many ppl out there have had written OSes or other piece of code but what made Linux to become what is it now is that it happened the ppl behind and in front of it got the right way of thinking. Believe it or not Linux really can change one's way of thinking. Help others understand what u had already understood.

PS:
That hatred is normal and for a normal human being it would disappear in time as it happens with me. But initially ... it is completely normal reaction, maybe not the best one but normal. Actually no reaction about anything is good when it involves feelings especially the strong ones like love and hatred.

I dont think that there is a word dezombizize but sounds funny.

By saying "Linux" I mean the whole (FOSS) community.

I really want an answer on my 2nd point.

I am challenging you for longer post than this one the topic! (Quotes doesnt count)

first: you seem to mix/confound maturity with resignation and accepting passively everything that comes from the others...which I think it's a whole different thing
second: don't you think hate should be directed to something more worthy of this? like somebody who did something really bad to us (personally) or to people who we love...I find it very hard to hate something abstract like an os (or even concrete as a corporation)...it's just a point of view
third: I don't know what you do with your pc but I install windows xp once a year...and with proper care it runs smoothly all time (obviously, it's correctly to point out that an os shouldn't need all this proper care...and I agree)

Circus-Killer
June 13th, 2007, 09:10 AM
if you can hate the nazis, you can hate a corporation. :-x

EDIT: i guess it all boils down to is education. educate yourself on microsoft's shady tactics.

Spr0k3t
June 13th, 2007, 09:18 AM
i guess it all boils down to is education. educate yourself on microsoft's shady tactics.

I think the hatred will fulfill its destiny once you have truly experienced the power of the dark side. Give in to your fear... blah blah blah... Lunix... I, am your father.

I have to add this: "So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

some_random_noob
June 13th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I agree about protecting the reputation of Linux users, I used to write stuff like "Micro$oft" but only because its funny. I don't really care. It doesn't mean anything to me.

Edit: on second thoughts, I think that anyone who supports the thread maker is a hypocrit. Microsoft is an evil monopolistic company and their main intention is to make money at the expensive of other people, so alternative spelling suits well. I don't spell Microsoft as Micro$oft but it doesn't bother me. When I originally used alternative spelling I didn't do it to be a smart ***. Most people who use alternative spelling aren't immature, its just one of those things they do. It adds your opinion if anything :) The only immaturity I see in this thread is the thread maker accusing a small minority of users. We're not immature, you're just seeing things.

Linux Killer!
June 13th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Right, could somone please explain to me what is it about Microsoft that makes them "evil"?

Hitler was evil. Pol Pot was evil. Bill Gates is a businessman/nerd, and created Microsoft to be a ruthless company. That's business, that's how multi-national corporations act - why not attack Apple for exploitation in other countries? Surely they're evil too... or is that uncool?

There are arguably worse companies that MS; mining companies that dump their waste into the river systems that villages use as their water supplies would be an examply of a truly evil company. Microsoft makes software and holds a minopoly, and you're telling me that's evil?

Calling a corporation evil without some sort of perspective is immature. It's childish. Good vs evil is something I'd expect George W Bush to say (which he does), not intelligent people.

karellen
June 13th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Right, could somone please explain to me what is it about Microsoft that makes them "evil"?

Hitler was evil. Pol Pot was evil. Bill Gates is a businessman/nerd, and created Microsoft to be a ruthless company. That's business, that's how multi-national corporations act - why not attack Apple for exploitation in other countries? Surely they're evil too... or is that uncool?

There are arguably worse companies that MS; mining companies that dump their waste into the river systems that villages use as their water supplies would be an examply of a truly evil company. Microsoft makes software and holds a minopoly, and you're telling me that's evil?

Calling a corporation evil without some sort of perspective is immature. It's childish. Good vs evil is something I'd expect George W Bush to say (which he does), not intelligent people.

who says they are all intelligent people? ;)

steven8
June 13th, 2007, 11:12 AM
who says they are all intelligent people? ;)

Duh, that's right karellen. Darh, a bunch of us are just plain stoopid! But Microsoft is still evil.

LightB
June 13th, 2007, 11:14 AM

Trolls are desperate these days? They have to resort to sounding halfways reasonable... I mean that can't be much fun.

Still isn't that interesting though.

Spr0k3t
June 13th, 2007, 11:14 AM

You're joking right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Microsoft

That's not everything... there are quite a few issues not even listed on the wiki. Check into the early history of MS and their business tactics. Go rent Pirates of the Silicon Valley. Read some of the memos and speaches done by Gates and Ballmer. Check out the entire Sun vs MS war. Dig up the board notes by W3C. Check the payouts of MS covering up the push for ooxml doctypes. The list is huge, or are you oblivious to these tactics of theirs?

When it comes to evil MS > Sony

loell
June 13th, 2007, 11:19 AM
@linux killer , you seem to mix up the definition of evil from those different context.

mining company who dump their waste is evil on environmental context
most dictators are evil in human rights context. don't mix them up.

microsft is evil, in software business and software freedom context.
in modern business, if you can still remember your basic economics, monopoly is not a good thing.

karellen
June 13th, 2007, 11:29 AM
@linux killer , you seem to mix up the definition of evil from those different context.

mining company who dump their waste is evil on environmental context
most dictators are evil in human rights context. don't mix them up.

microsft is evil, in software business and software freedom context.
in modern business, if you can still remember your basic economics, monopoly is not a good thing.

so very true. too bad that most of ones who speak of evil forget to mention the context (even if it should be implied from the beginning)

Linux Killer!
June 13th, 2007, 11:52 AM
But Microsoft hasn't KILLED ANYONE (that we know of).

Software freedom doesn't even register a blip on the evil radar. It's something we nerds are obsessed with, but I highly doubt a dispassionate view of the issue would rate it as particularly important when it comes to measuring evil.

Monopoly is not a good thing. But all this means is that MS holding a monopoly = bad, and bad doesn't always mean "evil". They're bullies, they'll do what it takes to get what they want, they'll sue the crap out of the opposition, but that = ruthless, NOT EVIL.

God are you people out of touch with reality or something? Do you have any idea what pure, true evil actually is anymore? Why is it I can use Windows every day without feeling sick about it, knowing who wrote it and how they operate? Because it's totally out of perspective.

LightB
June 13th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Ok folks, enjoy playing with the troll. I'm out.

karellen
June 13th, 2007, 12:02 PM
like any other discussion that contains the 'magic words' - "windows" "linux" "microsoft" "bashing" "evil" - this one leads nowhere...
too bad people speak different languages so often :confused:

steven8
June 13th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Ok folks, enjoy playing with the troll. I'm out.

But they're so cute!!

LightB
June 13th, 2007, 12:04 PM
But they're so cute!!

Maybe they are, the little midgets. But they're predictable and tiresome to me now.

loell
June 13th, 2007, 12:08 PM
on second thought, i'll stop , feeding the troll ;)

Spr0k3t
June 13th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Yup, I'm done... motion to lock.

use a name
June 13th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Thinking up alternate spellings for "Microsoft" does NOT make you look smarter.
But glasses do, right?

Spr0k3t
June 13th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Hehehe, this is good...

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2000/4/MS_Buys_Evil.html

steven8
June 13th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Yup, I'm done... motion to lock.

I second the motion.

forrestcupp
June 13th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I know the thread has probably gone a different direction, but I agree with the OP totally. Just read my signature.

It's ok to use Linux happily without hating Microsoft. It's even ok to hate Microsoft and use their actual name. Making up these clever nicknames is just childish. The same people that do that get worked up when Windows people ridicule Linux.

capecove
June 13th, 2007, 02:40 PM
After reading through this thread I will admit tht it has changed my mentality slightly. I did use the term M$ due to the apparent use by others in the Linux community but also partially due to frustration from what I see daily in the IT community. I can see the rationale for not using terms such as that and now hope that others reading this thread has as well. How many times have I used it? Maybe 3. So, the damage I caused is likley insignificant. I would only hope to propel the cause of Linux, and Ubuntu specifically.

karellen
June 13th, 2007, 02:51 PM
too bad that not all linux users are like you, capecove...
anyway, I wish you luck :)

loell
June 13th, 2007, 03:42 PM
this thread does not move me a bit, as usuall, i'll use

M$ or MS as reference to microsoft , not as a bash, rather as leet speed and comfortabilty of my fingers.

and I encourage anybody to do so!

forrestcupp
June 13th, 2007, 05:53 PM
this thread does not move me a bit, as usuall, i'll use

M$ or MS as reference to microsoft , not as a bash, rather as leet speed and comfortabilty of my fingers.

and I encourage anybody to do so!

MS is an abbreviation and is ok. M$ is derogatory. These derogatory names make Linux users look like crazy zealots and actually can hurt the cause.

loell
June 13th, 2007, 06:59 PM
M$ have been in use for a long time. it did not hurt the "cause" , surely it won't hurt any in the future.

also, bannering users that use alternates as lame, will not do any significance to the cause that you are reffering to. hence your no better or worst from those that use alternate spellings.

capecove
June 13th, 2007, 08:24 PM
too bad that not all linux users are like you, capecove...
anyway, I wish you luck :)

Thank you! Glad to see a Romanian citizen. I had friends in Romania, hope all is well there. :)

capecove
June 13th, 2007, 08:28 PM
MS is an abbreviation and is ok. M$ is derogatory. These derogatory names make Linux users look like crazy zealots and actually can hurt the cause.

I agree. You know, many of us climbed into the IT community on the shoulders of Microsoft's achievements. Without them/their efforts early on I don't know what direction the computer industry would have gone. Heck, anything to make Captain Kirk (William Shatner) stop selling VIC 20's is alright by me! ;)

(By the way, I can say that sine I am a Trekkie), gotta go watch season 6 of ST:TNG :popcorn:

jgrabham
June 13th, 2007, 08:40 PM
What about microsh*t

some_random_noob
June 13th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Ok this thread is just getting lame now. I don't think that alternative spelling is "childish" and I don't think it makes you look like a crazy linux zealot. But yes, it degrades Microsoft and we shouldn't need to use alternative spelling to degrade their image because us linux users are smarter than that ;)

Discussion over?

karellen
June 13th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Thank you! Glad to see a Romanian citizen. I had friends in Romania, hope all is well there. :)

thanks...:)
here things are more or less ok, depending of the point of view

arvevans
June 13th, 2007, 10:29 PM
As a "Retired - Old F..t" I have lived with and suffered from Microsoft (TM) since it was born out of the old CP/M operating system. Over the same period I was extensively involved in UNIX/POSIX development & deployment, so have been able to use and compare both as they evolved. I think that gives me some right to call them as I see them (I may be old but I refuse to grow up!).

You forgot: Microshaft, Micro-slick, Win-doesn't, and many, many more that I have heard over the years as expressions of overwhelming frustration by system administrators and users. Yes, there have been similar nicknames applied to UNIX, and other POSIX derivatives, but not usually with such frequency and vehemence.

I am sorry if you find it hard to defend Micro$oft from these nicknames. Maybe it is that Micro Soft is (1) indefensible, (2) deserving, or (3) a very attractive target of such abuse.
_._
;)

TBOL3
June 13th, 2007, 10:34 PM
I just call them MacroSoft, they're big enough now. They're no longer that little garage company. :lolsign::lolflag:

flawedprefect
June 13th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Hey I'm an intellegent guy... but I still giggle at pee and poo jokes.

(heheh... microsh*t - nice one)

qamelian
June 13th, 2007, 11:21 PM

Microsoft's history of lying, cheating and stealing (and being found guilty by the legal system in several countries) is a matter of record. Do a little research on you own. It isn't that hard.

forrestcupp
June 14th, 2007, 03:18 AM
What about microsh*t

All these derogatory names are one of my pet peeves, but this one is just funny.

feravolo
June 17th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I was searching on for something else and stumbled across this tread and since I enjoyed reading it I thought I would add my thoughts about that "multi-billion dollar software giant" that I think you people are talking about.

I omitted the search term that I was using and the name of the "multi-billion dollar software giant", since I didn't want this posting indexed under those terms by anything.

Maybe that is why a lot of people misspell that word, since they just don't care to promote it in any way. Even if the page would rank about as the zillionth page with the name of that "multi-billion dollar software giant".

Hey just for the goof try searching with the quotes for "multi-billion dollar software giant" and see the ranking of this posting and you might just learn something about search engines.

So If would rather not talk about that "multi-billion dollar software giant" at all [like me], just leave them out of the conversation all together. Otherwise, Spell the name right and [as a bonus] give them credit for the ownership of any of their marks.

I don't think that "Multi-Billion Dollar Software Giant", is at all negative it's just an accurate description of that business entity.

Thank You

catnappist
July 9th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Well... at least now I know where the christians and Philistines meet, and what kind of garbage they fuss about. Meeeeowww.