PDA

View Full Version : The Official Ohio Ubucon '08 Planning Thread

Vorian
June 6th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I'm all for doing one ASAP

I want to know who else would be interested. (Google is interested in helping us also)

I'll post some info after this post, but I would like some feedback on When and Where. The rest should be easy to flesh out.

:popcorn:

EDIT:
Also set up a channel on irc.freenode.net #ohio-ubucon for anyone interested in the planning of this monumental event!

Vorian
June 6th, 2007, 12:55 PM
info

An Ubucon is a community driven, community organised event that is all about Ubuntu. These events often include a number of speakers, BOF sessions, demos, social events and more, and they are excellent ways to grow the Ubuntu community in your area, and to build an interesting and fun event. Ubucon's are different to large Linux expos and conferences in that they are uniquely community focused and driven, and uniquely Ubuntu.
With a worldwide community of Ubuntu users and our incredible network of LoCo Teams (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeams), the Ubuntu community is always keen to see Ubucons being organised and run across the world. In the vast majority of cases, the organisers have found them incredibly fun, fulfilling and worthwhile events to organise, and they are an excellent way of doing your bit' for the Ubuntu community.
So, you want to organise one, but don't know how. Well, luckily for you, this is where this guide comes in. This guide will run you through the core aspects of running an Ubucon, and also point you in the direction of other guidance and documentation to get you up and running.
Preparation

Relax, Don't Worry, Chill

Before you really get started, keep in mind that an Ubucon, as a community event, is a lot more about hanging out and advocating Ubuntu than anything else. As such, it's important to keep in mind that the whole point is to have fun. This is not to say that there won't be moments of stress or intensely hard work, but the whole idea is to bring people together in a relaxed setting. Remember that for some Ubucon participants, this will be their first exposure to Ubuntu, so it's important that you establish a welcoming - not intimidating - atmosphere. A few rules are in order:

An Ubucon, despite the "-con" suffix, is not a conference. In fact, the sole reason the name was chosen was because of the way it resembled "Rubicon." The setting is much more relaxed, and the schedule is much more fluid. Think of it as a community gathering or club
Although a relaxed air is in order, keep in mind that there needs to be at least some structure. Given the wide variety of people bound to show up, it's to have a defined skeleton on which participants can build (or tear down and start over, if the fancy strikes them)
The event will only be as successful as the participants allow. If those in attendance would rather talk about foo than bar, then let them, regardless of what may have been scheduled. There must be some type of interaction, and it should be encouraged every step of the way. Everyone needs to understand that they're expected to participate in some way. [see "open space" - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/htdocs/ubuntu/img/u-www.png http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-space_meeting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-space_meeting)]
Ok, Sounds Great. I'm Interested

Before you make the first phone call, send the first email or pester the first speaker, you should lay a certain amount of groundwork before you begin. When people have run event such as this in the past and they have failed, it is typically because they have not prepared for the level of work needed and rushed the job right at the end. You can mitigate these problems by preparing beforehand and building a team that is matched the level of work required to run the event. It's important to include others in the planning right from the beginning.
Remember, running an Ubucon is not something a single person can do easily. Sure, some people could run an event by themselves, but they would possible turn to alcohol, drugs and sitting in a chair nervously chatting to themselves. Don't do it to yourself, work as a team and it makes the entire process much more fun and productive from the start.
Find a Venue

It cannot be stressed enough, but perhaps the most important early decision to be made is where to have an Ubucon. Often, you simply take what's available and you may not have much choice. If you do have a choice, be creative. You may think that you need wi-fi, projection screens, podiums, microphones, etc. All of that is nice, but your first step is simply making sure you can locate a venue with ample electricity and easily accessible. If it's near public transportation, even better. Any other amenities you may think you need can be arranged.
The first choice is finding a place that is free of charge, and you may be surprised by your options. Technology companies, Non-profit organizations, churches, and schools, will regularly host gatherings of people around a variety of topics of interest to their members. Many of them will charge a fee, but there are ways to get space for free. For example, if one of your event organizers is a member of an organization, it doesn't hurt to ask them. Or if a gathering of Ubunteros is appealing to certain businesses, they may decide to host an Ubucon for you. It never ever hurts to ask.
Building an Ubucon team

After finding a group of people willing to help, it helps to get a handle on what everyone's skills are. Some people may designing handouts or graphics. Other folks may have experience running events. Still others simply enjoy reaching out to grassroots organizations or media. Take stock of what those in your group can do and let them do what they're good at. If you notice that you lack someone who can do X, then work through your group to try to find someone who can do that. And if you don't find that person... relax, don't worry, it will be fine https://wiki.ubuntu.com/htdocs/ubuntu/img/smile.png
It helps if people are clear on their key roles:

leader - benevolent dictators have a way of getting things done, but the operative term is "benevolent"
speaker liason - it's best of one person has the primary responsibility of reaching out to speakers
exhibitor liason - you may or may not have exhibitors, but it's good to have someone in charge of their needs
press - depending on how many people you want to reach, appointing someone to contact press members is a good idea
a/v (if required) - this can be difficult to pull together in time, so if you know of someone good with a/v equipment, make sure you treat them well! Another thing to note is copyright - make it clear from the beginning that you want distribution rights.
public relationship - if you bring a great ubuntu star, you will need someone to introduce "famous speakers" and visitors in order to arrange "corridors BOFs". Sometimes people is too shy to do it by themselves, or they haven't seen star's face before !
Building a programme of talks/events

It's important to leave the schedule somewhat flexible. Allow some time for open space-type collaboration, although it is helpful to have most of the schedule identified before the event.
building a timetable - take into account lunch, travel, registration
Wikitastic

Wikis are great for planning an Ubucon. Let those who are interested write in their preferred time slot and topic. It gives participants control over their destiny and makes them feel like a part of the event, as opposed to simply doing as they are told.
Finding speakers

This is not as hard as you might imagine. Sometimes, people will show up at an Ubucon with a topic in mind, although you may not have known about it before. Make sure you include them in the day's activities! As an Ubucon planner, it's your job to interact with people and locate potential contributors. Everyone has a responsibility to contribute in some way, even if it's just asking good questions or expressing a desire to learn more.
If speakers come a different country maybe you will need help with translations. Simultaneous traslation is expensive but it makes speeches more fluent. Volunteers can help with consecutive (non-simultaneous) translations, but bear in mind that speeches will take a lot (double?) more time.
Marketing and promotion

...more on this later... really depends on the size of the event, what type of audience is desired, etc.
Community Marketing

Blogs, podcasts, websites, forums etc.

- as mentioned, wikis are great. LUG's are useful for outreach - particularly those affiliated with universities.
Don't forget to contact local magazines. Every town has got a bulletin with events, fairs, conferences... People not only read screens !
Sponsored Marketing

Magazines, ads etc.
Resources

Here are some resources and places where you can find more help and guidance for making your Ubucon really kick!

ubucon-planners Mailing List - this is a mailing list filled with people who organise and run Ubucons all over the world. It is an excellent way of sharing ideas and knowledge with other organisers.

andrewski
June 6th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I know about 4 or 5 people (including me) that would be interested in attending. Since we're in Philadelphia, we may not be that much help organizing, but I'm interested and willing to help in any way that I can.

(AND... we'll see you at LinuxFest in September!)

montgoej
June 8th, 2007, 03:17 AM
I'm here in KY, just about 4 hours from Columbus and I'm definately willing to help planning and organizing. I don't have a ton of free time in the summer, but I'm willing to help where I can. And I'll also be seeing you all at OLF 2007!
~Jordan "The Stash" Montgomery

jpeddicord
June 8th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I"m just now realizing that Ubucons include out-of-state LoCos. Sounds great.

It will definitely be fun finding a place to host it. OLF uses the Columbus Convention Center, but I have no idea how much that actually costs to rent out for a day. :o

PTelly
June 15th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I have checked w/ the church I belong to and it would be possible to use the facility and the wifi. I just need some dates so there would not be any conflicts w/ other events.
Also as for fund raising. For those of us who live in Columbus area I might be able to get Roosters (yes the wing place) to donate some discount (15%) cards (for non profits) that are reusable until the end of the year. Should be able to get 50, maybe more, and we can sell them for $10.
If interested in using the church or Roosters cards just let me know.

o0splitpaw0o
June 15th, 2007, 07:29 AM
I could mock up animated art/video if needed Vorain. I need to keep my commercial art skills up to snuff. ; )

TheIdiotThatIsMe
October 7th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Interest in Ubucon is growing; an email has been sent out over the mailing list for discussion on planning for the event.

lyceum
October 8th, 2007, 10:46 PM
This is what I joined the LoCo group for! I could provide art, but I need a weeks notice or more. I could do a presentation. I could also greet people with a smile and point them in the right direction, as needed. As long as it is on a weekend, just ask and I will let you know, otherwise I will just try to volunteer for everything. It is my weakness :)

Wybiral
October 14th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Any more on this? I will definitely attend if it's not too far, and I would absolutely love to help out wherever I can. I've visited the IRC, but it appears dead. Is there a meeting time for the IRC where we can get together and toss some ideas around?

It was posted on June 6th, is it still an active idea?

lyceum
October 14th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Any more on this? I will definitely attend if it's not too far, and I would absolutely love to help out wherever I can. I've visited the IRC, but it appears dead. Is there a meeting time for the IRC where we can get together and toss some ideas around?

It was posted on June 6th, is it still an active idea?

October 28, 5pm EST

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=569891

:guitar:

Wybiral
October 14th, 2007, 09:46 PM
October 28, 5pm EST
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=569891

Thanks, I'll try to get in there.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
November 12th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Anymore updates, ideas?

TheIdiotThatIsMe
November 12th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Update. I've added a page to the Wiki for easier planning, so please check it out at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OhioTeam/OhioUbucon08

Please look it over and add to it!

Also, by
chance would it be possible to add a page to our website about the
Ubucon '08? Just describing what it is, put a link / banner on the
front page so help gain a little exposure, and then in the description
page add a link to our Wiki for help planning. Also if it's possible,
it would be great to get exposure for it on the Ubuntu Planet also,
and maybe also try and get an article about it into Full Circle or any
press sites.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
November 14th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Meeting tonight at 8PM on IRC #ohio-ubucon !

:popcorn:

lyceum
November 16th, 2007, 03:26 PM
At Ohio Linuxfest we collected some funds. What happened to that? Can we use that for Ubucon? I also think we should do some fund raising at Ubucon to get money for the next event.

I also thought of some different ideas for presentations:

Compiz Fusion: More than Eye Candy, or How to be More Productive with Compiz-Fusion

Create Web Sites quickly and easily with OOo, GIMP and Bluefish

Editing home movies on Ubuntu (I could not do this one)

Recording Music with Ubuntu Studio

Advantages of Open Software for Small Businesses

TheIdiotThatIsMe
November 17th, 2007, 11:38 AM
lyceum: Those are some awesome suggestions. I especially like the presentation about Ubuntu Studio, it's not something you hear as often about as Compiz-Fusion (although I like that idea too).

Do you think we might be able to get one of the people behind Ubuntu Studio to come to do a presentation at the Ubucon?

lyceum
November 17th, 2007, 07:55 PM
lyceum: Those are some awesome suggestions. I especially like the presentation about Ubuntu Studio, it's not something you hear as often about as Compiz-Fusion (although I like that idea too).

Do you think we might be able to get one of the people behind Ubuntu Studio to come to do a presentation at the Ubucon?

That would be great, but I do not know anyone working on the project, or where they live. I was just thinking of posting in the Multimedia & Video section of the forum for a volunteer. After looking at the Ubuntu Studio homepage, it looks like 3 of them are in the USA, the Project Leader, the Technical Leader and the Webmaster. If you would like I could send them emails, do we have a tentative date yet?

TheIdiotThatIsMe
November 17th, 2007, 08:04 PM
The date sent right now is June 15th 08. I would definitely send them an email, just let them know it will be in Ohio lol.

lyceum
November 17th, 2007, 08:39 PM
The date sent right now is June 15th 08. I would definitely send them an email, just let them know it will be in Ohio lol.

I sent the email to Cory Kontros. He is the Ubuntu Studio project leader, and he lives in NC. I also mentioned that we have limited funds so travel expenses would be on the person coming, but that I would buy lunch for the person doing the presentation. I asked for a recommendation if he could not make it. And don't worry, the lunch money will be coming from my pocket :)

Edit/Update:

Cory stated that he could not say either way at this point and asked that we get back with him later. I let him know I would do so early next year.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
November 18th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks Lyceum :popcorn:

lyceum
November 19th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Ideas part 2

I can't make the Wednesday meeting, I have a class that night, so I am just posting thoughts here...

Would it be possible to do some sort of video conference? All we would need are some web cams, microphones a projector and PCs with internet access. We may be able to get more guest speakers to Ohio that way. Just a thought. I do not have a projector, but I may be able to borrow one from my office (10% chance, we are going through management changes). I know it would be better to have live people, but I am trying to think of a plan B.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
November 23rd, 2007, 04:43 AM
Other people I was thinking about may be the people behind Full Circle Magazine and Ubuntu Podcast. What do you think?

lyceum
November 24th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Other people I was thinking about may be the people behind Full Circle Magazine and Ubuntu Podcast. What do you think?

Those would be great! One of the things that makes FOSS great is the community. These are 2 really good ways of getting info and of seeing the community in action.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
November 24th, 2007, 11:00 PM
That's the idea ;)

TheIdiotThatIsMe
November 28th, 2007, 01:59 AM
I found another hardware retailer that specializes in Ubuntu by the name of ZaReason (www.zareason.com) who seem to have pretty decent configurations. They also are a sponsor of the Freedomware Gaming Fest, so I'm hoping they might be willing to help us also, and of course showcase some of their systems :popcorn:

TheIdiotThatIsMe
December 1st, 2007, 12:24 AM
Sent off a message to ZaReason, Inc.

lyceum
December 10th, 2007, 02:33 PM
anything new going on?

TheIdiotThatIsMe
December 10th, 2007, 08:10 PM
YES! We just got a message from Linux Game Publishing agreeing to send us 200 Demo DVD's, boxed full versions with written authorization for installating on any machine as long as their deleted afterwards, BUT we get to keep the boxed full versions to give away as prizes or freebies.

We're getting somewhere :KS

lyceum
December 11th, 2007, 09:48 PM
YES! We just got a message from Linux Game Publishing agreeing to send us 200 Demo DVD's, boxed full versions with written authorization for installating on any machine as long as their deleted afterwards, BUT we get to keep the boxed full versions to give away as prizes or freebies.

We're getting somewhere :KS

That is awesome! :guitar:

TheIdiotThatIsMe
December 12th, 2007, 03:09 AM
We got a reply from ZaReason, but they asked to discuss the details after the holiday season since they're quite busy.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
December 18th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Just an update, we are currently getting a server that was donated from a member of the Ubuntu Michigan LoCo, which seisen is currently in charge of picking up. We will also be discussing some Ubucon things this Wednesday at the meeting so please be there!

Delvien
December 19th, 2007, 02:06 PM
What kind of server ? :P

rustybronco
December 19th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Compaq proliant ml350 dual 800mhz pIII's with about 45.5 gig (2-18.2 1-9.1) worth of scsi's.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
December 19th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Compaq proliant ml350 dual 800mhz pIII's with about 45.5 gig (2-18.2 1-9.1) worth of scsi's.

Thanks rustybronco :)

tnseditor
January 6th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Today I received a reply that System 76 is willing to provide systems for demonstration purposes for Ubucon and OLF 2008!

zerhacke
February 15th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I'd be happy to give a short presentation on how to use apt-get to the fullest. I'd also be happy to give a presentation on compiling programs.

I'm more interested in attending as a regular Joe, though. Get with me if you need to fill space.

Seisen
February 16th, 2008, 03:15 AM
The more people we have the better. \\:D/

zerhacke
February 17th, 2008, 11:16 PM
June 15, '08? Just cleared it with the boss (my wife) and I will definitely be in attendance. It's still at the library in Hilliard, right? That's only about an hour and a half's drive from here, no sweat.

Provided I can get some feedback on the project I can bring the ISO's to the Ohio LoCo branded CD and as many of them as I can burn. This is provided I can get feedback and customize it exactly to what the Ohio LoCo users want.

visualdeception
March 3rd, 2008, 04:18 AM
I just sent an email to the IN Loco...hopefully we can lend you guys a hand or two....

lyceum
March 4th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I will be in school (college) and working full time until the end of April, but after that I have the summer off, and will be at Ubucon. I have no trouble speaking in front of people or just hanging out. I am an artist and studying to be a web designer, so if you want me to do anything please let me know. I cannot be at the meetings to volunteer, so feel free to volunteer me for something or not. Either way I'll be there.

BillGod
March 31st, 2008, 07:12 PM
It's kind of a drive but if there is anyone else from the Canton / Akron area going. I plan on going. Maybe we can get a car pool together.

Seisen
April 13th, 2008, 02:51 PM
It's kind of a drive but if there is anyone else from the Canton / Akron area going. I plan on going. Maybe we can get a car pool together.

Well you can carpool with me because I will be there unless there is some catastrophic event otherwise they might kill me since I am bring the server.

tnseditor
May 14th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I think it would be a good idea to push Ubucon back until at least July since a month isn't enough time to plan for it even though we have been getting ideas gathered for quite a while.

plop1234
June 20th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I would love to help if possible. I want to try to get Dell on board. My names Marshal and I live in Toledo. I want to see if I can go. Whats the new date? PM me pleas.:KS

tnseditor
June 20th, 2008, 05:53 PM
We haven't set a new date for Ubucon yet. Someone will post here when a new date has been set.

plop1234
June 23rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
I want to contact Dell and see if they will bring in some demo models for quests to take a look at. Would someone please give me the info on things we would want and/or need them to bring? I know we need a couple test laptops and desktops, but is there nay thing else?

tnseditor
June 25th, 2008, 06:56 PM
We could also use some monitors if they would like to show them off :). They could also send some fliers or brochures too if they have them. Thanks for your help! Maybe we can do something fairly big when Intrepid is released in October.

lyceum
June 26th, 2008, 01:54 PM
We could also use some monitors if they would like to show them off :). They could also send some fliers or brochures too if they have them. Thanks for your help! Maybe we can do something fairly big when Intrepid is released in October.

I have several computers (in parts) and about 10 monitors. There should be enough parts to make about 9 or 10 PCs. The PCs are old and need to be put back together, I do not have the time. I have hard drives, memory and towers, but not all together. The towers have Pentium II & III processors. I need to get rid of them. They could easily run Xubuntu or act as a server. This could be a great way to show Ubuntu resurrecting older PC's. If someone had the time it would be cool to see all of them together with one acting as a server for the rest.

The monitors are actually really good. I got them from an art/design company when they upgraded.

Right now I am living in the Westerville area, but I am getting ready to move. If anyone wants these PCs, please let me know and we can schedule a pick up. If a group of people living near me wants to put a project together to set up these PC's for Ubucon, I can help, I just can't do it all myself. I have to get rid of them by the end of July, so about mid next month I will be freecycling them.

timcredible
June 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I live in Delaware, work in Columbus, just saw this thread - I could probably help with this if it's in Hilliard or some other Columbus suburb, and if it's on a weekend.

lyceum
June 26th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I live in Delaware, work in Columbus, just saw this thread - I could probably help with this if it's in Hilliard or some other Columbus suburb, and if it's on a weekend.

I am moving to Dublin or Hilliard (hopefully Dublin) in August. I am hoping to be rid of the PCs by then, but if they are going to be used for Ubucon and people are willing to help get them ready I will hang on to them. For all I care they can be given away as door prises after the show or sold to raise money.

plop1234
June 27th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I think we should run Edubuntu in the kids section, and I think we should run it as a terminal server instead of standalone. For educators, that would be more realistic. :) If I was an educator that was a fan of Ubuntu, but did not know how to implement it into the education world, I think that would be the best way to show Edubuntu off. Is any one willing to bring a terminal server in? I don't have any good hardware to build one my self. I tryed to but my computer just would not do it. :confused:

plop1234
June 27th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I want to contact Dell and see if they will bring in some demo models for quests to take a look at. Would someone please give me the info on things we would want and/or need them to bring? I know we need a couple test laptops and desktops, but is there nay thing else?

I also need event details if any one has them yet. I need them before it can call. Also I vote that it be held in August Early August. Because I don't want to miss it if I'm going on vacation. :KS that may be a little selfish but I TRULY DON'T want to miss it!

lyceum
June 27th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I also need event details if any one has them yet. I need them before it can call. Also I vote that it be held in August Early August. Because I don't want to miss it if I'm going on vacation. :KS that may be a little selfish but I TRULY DON'T want to miss it!

August is good, there are lots of fairs and other events that month. If it does not happen in August, Linux fest is in September so I would say to wait for October and 8.10.

lyceum
June 27th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I think we should run Edubuntu in the kids section, and I think we should run it as a terminal server instead of standalone. For educators, that would be more realistic. :) If I was an educator that was a fan of Ubuntu, but did not know how to implement it into the education world, I think that would be the best way to show Edubuntu off. Is any one willing to bring a terminal server in? I don't have any good hardware to build one my self. I tryed to but my computer just would not do it. :confused:

The best PC that can be built with the stuff I have (unless someone wants to spend money) would be a Pentium III with 512 RAM and an 80 gig hard drive. I would say that would be good for a server, but I really don't know much about servers. I just know the one at my last job had a 20 gig hard drive and little memory.

plop1234
June 27th, 2008, 06:42 PM
We relay need to set an official date. October is even better. All I have hard ware wise is a Pentium III 800mhz with 512 ram and a 2gb HD. And it dose not install properly on there I've tried. I think lyceum would be fine if your willing to do it of course.:popcorn:

TheIdiotThatIsMe
July 7th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I would still like to do an Ohio Ubucon, but unfortunately with OLF coming up it may be better to suspend it to a later date and maybe concentrate on a showing for OLF. October does sound good (hopefully not later, since it would be better to avoid snow, and may end up in spring of '09).

Because of time delay (and not having internet for several months, still dont but using my cell phone to dial into an unstable dial up connection temporarily), I have lost contact with the previous sponsors of OLF, but would be more than happy to contact them on behalf of Ubuntu Ohio again and see if we can round up anymore.

But I agree, we do need a time and place first and foremost.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
July 7th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I checked on OLF's website, and they are actually holding the event on October 11th this year, so maybe not the best idea for october.

Maybe we should suspend the planning for Ohio Ubucon and work towards a presence at OLF (get some more hands on experience).

lyceum
July 7th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Update on the PC's I have, I will not be able to do anything but give them. I cannot help get them ready. I just started a new job and between that and my classes and my family, I have no time. But again, I am giving them up for the greater good. If someone wants to pick them up, let me know. I need them gone before I move. I do think they would be good for letting people check out Ubuntu, or a variation of Ubuntu. And, they can be given away as door prizes :) At this point it looks like it will be some time before Ubucon, so I may be able to help in the future, but for now, I cannot store them at my house as we are moving to a smaller place.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
July 10th, 2008, 09:16 AM
It has been decided that Ohio Ubucon will be switched to sometime in 2009 to focus on more immediate upcoming events. Keep a look out for The Official Ohio Ubucon '09 Planning Thread coming soon :lolflag:

lyceum
August 28th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I have several computers (in parts) and about 10 monitors. There should be enough parts to make about 9 or 10 PCs. The PCs are old and need to be put back together, I do not have the time. I have hard drives, memory and towers, but not all together. The towers have Pentium II & III processors. I need to get rid of them. They could easily run Xubuntu or act as a server. This could be a great way to show Ubuntu resurrecting older PC's. If someone had the time it would be cool to see all of them together with one acting as a server for the rest.

The monitors are actually really good. I got them from an art/design company when they upgraded.

Right now I am living in the Westerville area, but I am getting ready to move. If anyone wants these PCs, please let me know and we can schedule a pick up. If a group of people living near me wants to put a project together to set up these PC's for Ubucon, I can help, I just can't do it all myself. I have to get rid of them by the end of July, so about mid next month I will be freecycling them.

Just as information, I freecycled the PCs. I moved to a smaller space and had no room for them.

tnseditor
September 1st, 2008, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the update :)