PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu preinstalled laptops

nocturn
July 5th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Hi guys

We're starting a store (opening september-october 2005) and one of the things we would like to offer are pre-installed Ubuntu systems. I think we will go for cheap laptops (such as ECS and Aopen that we ourselves can get without Windows license).

Our target audience is dual, we are targetting both existing Linux users looking for a windows-less laptop and new users who just want an affordable laptop (WinXP alone is 200 € over here, OfficeXP is another 600, passing over the price of cheaper laptop hardware).

What do you guys think, would there be a market for this? Are any of you interested in this kind of thing (not specificly from us, but in general - we only sell in Belgium with azerty-be keyboards, BTW -).

One of the issues we need to address is type a good manual to go with the systems (for those not yet used to Linux).
Can we use the Ubuntu logo in these?

bk452
July 5th, 2005, 04:54 PM
What do you guys think, would there be a market for this? Are any of you interested in this kind of thing (not specificly from us, but in general - we only sell in Belgium with azerty-be keyboards, BTW -).

I would have wanted it. Not being a linux geek, I really had to stumble around but I'm the adventurous type who needed to escape from windows. A good manual is a definite must and that cannot be stressed enough.

Too bad you're in Belgium. I'm in Detroit.

Kvark
July 5th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Very good idea.

When looking for a computer as linux user I'd definately want to cut down the price by not getting a windows and office licence I won't even use. Even more so if aiming for a cheap computer.

I'm pretty sure many windows users will consider it too when they see a noticeable price difference. Either cause learning a new OS is interesting and worth the saving, or to be honest, cause they care about licences just as much as most windows users do.

Aiming for laptops with this is also suiting I think. Personally I see desktops as gaming machines and laptops as office machines. Which means I'd look for high performerance in a desktop and low price in a laptop. But I'm not sure if others share my view on this point.

ps. I'd love to see the look on windows users' faces the day they walk into a computer store and see two price tags on all models. One for windows that is about the same as in other stores. And one for linux that is cheaper even though it's the same hardware specs. :razz:

nocturn
July 6th, 2005, 07:31 AM
ps. I'd love to see the look on windows users' faces the day they walk into a computer store and see two price tags on all models. One for windows that is about the same as in other stores. And one for linux that is cheaper even though it's the same hardware specs. :razz:

LOL, me too. That's not going to happen in our store though, it will be 100% Microsoft free :-)

nocturn
July 6th, 2005, 07:35 AM
I'm pretty sure many windows users will consider it too when they see a noticeable price difference. Either cause learning a new OS is interesting and worth the saving, or to be honest, cause they care about licences just as much as most windows users do.

Another advantage we have is that we are midway between two schools (7-12 year old kids). I'm hoping that the affordable laptops are attractive to parents who cannot or will not shell out 1000€ plus for a low-end windows PC.

Maybe we can even get the schools interested (that would be the biggest catch). The Belgian government has recently started a program to incourage the use of FOSS in schools, yet there are almost no companies here offering support for it.

ssck
July 6th, 2005, 08:23 AM
there will definitely be a market for this.i am sure there are many who would like to get a decent laptop without shelling a bomb for the OS and produtivity tools.and a good way to do this would be to have ubuntu or any other linux distro pre installed.

nocturn
July 6th, 2005, 08:44 AM
there will definitely be a market for this.i am sure there are many who would like to get a decent laptop without shelling a bomb for the OS and produtivity tools.and a good way to do this would be to have ubuntu or any other linux distro pre installed.

I'm considering to offer other distro's such as Debian stable, Fedora and maybe SuSE as optional (maybe a little extra cost for the time), but the default will be Ubuntu.

The store is going to be an Ubuntu heaven, all internal systems will run Ubuntu and maybe Debian (not sure which on the servers) :-)

Kvark
July 6th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Maybe we can even get the schools interested (that would be the biggest catch). The Belgian government has recently started a program to incourage the use of FOSS in schools, yet there are almost no companies here offering support for it.

If you can get a good dialog with the schools and get them to show you all the details about their situations when it comes to computers. Then I'm sure you can see what they are missing or doing wrong and come up with a lot of things they'd love. I'm sure they'll give you the deal next time they need to replace their workstations.

For example if they currently store documents locally, then this would sound great in their ears...
Each student gets a folder (his/her home directory) on a central server where their work is stored while the workstations contains only programs. That way students can access their work from any computer and not just the one they saved it on, and no running around with floppies either.

Some good sale arguments can be found in showing off linux software that is useful in a school environment, like easy backups and stuff, maybe a tool to easliy manage user accounts for the many students.

Not to mention that students won't have the user privileges to mess things up and there won't be many viruses either. Catching the attention of those schools should be a piece of cake.

brim4brim
July 6th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Very good idea.

When looking for a computer as linux user I'd definately want to cut down the price by not getting a windows and office licence I won't even use. Even more so if aiming for a cheap computer.

Aiming for laptops with this is also suiting I think. Personally I see desktops as gaming machines and laptops as office machines. Which means I'd look for high performerance in a desktop and low price in a laptop. But I'm not sure if others share my view on this point.

I bought a gaming laptop but then I always was different :smile:

Okay so as a Computer Science Student I think hells yeah if the price difference is 200 Euro. I mean for one thing most people already have a copy of XP Home lying around from their old laptops anyway at this stage given the age of XP.

If you can reduce the price of my laptop by 200 Euro and I get Ubuntu I'd gladly fork over the cash.

Also you might want to consider giving users a run in the shop with Linux and I'd offer Gnome instead of KDE for ease of use as a front end but I must say I like it, I like it a lot!

primeirocrime
July 6th, 2005, 07:10 PM
oh very nice! to bad about the azerty keyboards... but I forsee that if you guys grow you will sell also native keyboards like portuguese [that is QWERTY with a "ç"]

:) So I'll wait and see. May fortune smile upon you all.

nocturn
July 7th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Also you might want to consider giving users a run in the shop with Linux and I'd offer Gnome instead of KDE for ease of use as a front end but I must say I like it, I like it a lot!

The default is going to be Gnome (standard Ubuntu), but Kubuntu desktop can be installed on request.

In our store, we are going to put an older desktop system which can be used to demonstrate Linux. It will have both Ubuntu-desktop and Kubuntu-dekstop on it.

I really, really hope this hits off, I'm very nervous as you can imagine...

nocturn
July 7th, 2005, 07:54 AM
oh very nice! to bad about the azerty keyboards... but I forsee that if you guys grow you will sell also native keyboards like portuguese [that is QWERTY with a "ç"]

:) So I'll wait and see. May fortune smile upon you all.

Thanks!
When we are financially stable enough, I would like to expand our offer to all EU countries (non-EU shipments are more complicated, so we'll see).

phen
July 7th, 2005, 10:16 AM
are you planning a local store? do you think that there are enough interested clients living around the store? I think it is important for your business to sell via internet, too. I find linux laptops really cool, and wouldn't hesitate to buy one, but i don't think the linux user market is strong enough for local stores yet.

cheers,
kai

nocturn
July 7th, 2005, 10:29 AM
are you planning a local store? do you think that there are enough interested clients living around the store? I think it is important for your business to sell via internet, too. I find linux laptops really cool, and wouldn't hesitate to buy one, but i don't think the linux user market is strong enough for local stores yet.

cheers,
kai

We will be selling via the Internet too, but in the first phase only in Belgium, maybe in other EU countries but with non be-azerty keyboards it will have to be on order.

The computers are just a side-product, the main focus of the store is gifts and gadgets (powerball, cheap PDA's, watches).
Our goal is to have as much products as possible that are morally justified (environmental friendly, Free Software, fair trade, ...).

ubuntu_demon
July 8th, 2005, 08:15 PM
I'm considering to offer other distro's such as Debian stable, Fedora and maybe SuSE as optional (maybe a little extra cost for the time), but the default will be Ubuntu.

The store is going to be an Ubuntu heaven, all internal systems will run Ubuntu and maybe Debian (not sure which on the servers) :-)
Very cool idea!

Is your store close to the netherlands ? Maybe I'll come visit someday :)

For servers you can install breezy ..... it will have 3 years security support!

nocturn
August 1st, 2005, 09:45 AM
Very cool idea!

Is your store close to the netherlands ? Maybe I'll come visit someday :)

For servers you can install breezy ..... it will have 3 years security support!

Sorry for the late answer (I was on vacation).
Actually, it will be very close to the Netherlands, About 10-15 minutes from the border.

We are located in Beerse (near Turnhout).

heimo
August 1st, 2005, 10:08 AM
So... will you be handing out free Ubuntu install / live CDs? :)

nocturn
August 1st, 2005, 10:22 AM
So... will you be handing out free Ubuntu install / live CDs? :)

Yes, we will.
I'm not sure about Hoary though, I can order the CD's but we'll be opening arround october 1st, so Breezy will be nearly there...

ubuntu_demon
August 1st, 2005, 10:22 AM
Please post a website when your store launches :)

johanvdw
August 1st, 2005, 10:37 AM
Sorry for the late answer (I was on vacation).
Actually, it will be very close to the Netherlands, About 10-15 minutes from the border.

We are located in Beerse (near Turnhout).
Ah, Beerse, I used to work there (Janssen). Isn't it more interesting to open a store in the Netherlands? VAT is lower there.

Anyway, if you launch, post something in this forum. I might be interested. I still believe however that most people will stick to windows. And as it is getting harder and harder to install an illegal version I guess more and more people tend to buy and OEM version when they buy windows. So I would not only concentrate on linux-based laptops

nocturn
August 1st, 2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all the positive feedback! I will certainly post a link when the store is open.

The Linux-laptops are a side product (the main focus of the store is gifts and gadgets). If they really hit off (and there is demand for server products too), we may split that part of in a seperate business (in some years). If not, we will have to discontinue that line and try again later...

Kvark
August 1st, 2005, 11:28 AM
Ah, Beerse, I used to work there (Janssen). Isn't it more interesting to open a store in the Netherlands? VAT is lower there.

Anyway, if you launch, post something in this forum. I might be interested. I still believe however that most people will stick to windows. And as it is getting harder and harder to install an illegal version I guess more and more people tend to buy and OEM version when they buy windows. So I would not only concentrate on linux-based laptops
Not only windows but also the propriarity programs that run on it will eventually become too troublesome for the average joe to crack. If you add up the cost of the programs software will cost more then hardware. When that happens people will look for an alternative.

seanroth
August 6th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Hi guys

We're starting a store (opening september-october 2005) and one of the things we would like to offer are pre-installed Ubuntu systems. I think we will go for cheap laptops (such as ECS and Aopen that we ourselves can get without Windows license).

Our target audience is dual, we are targetting both existing Linux users looking for a windows-less laptop and new users who just want an affordable laptop (WinXP alone is 200 € over here, OfficeXP is another 600, passing over the price of cheaper laptop hardware).

One of the issues we need to address is type a good manual to go with the systems (for those not yet used to Linux).
I would definitely like to buy a laptop with Ubuntu on it.. but, I'm in the US. :|

Mr_J_
August 9th, 2005, 05:00 PM
How cheap are we talking about?
Because I've been considering amassing money towards a shiny Laptop for some time...
It is a shame about the laptop keyboards tho...
I'm a Portuguese user, and I'd like a PT keyboard.

Post around for ur shop, or better yet mail me when ur shop is opened... The online one that is. I'm not getting a trip to Belgium any time soon.

What kind of laptops are we talking about?
More to power?
Or... (and this woudl be my favorite)
Less power and more battery!

My Mail (joao.pio@gmail.com) is that one. Just send me a link towards ur shop, but make the subject sugestive enough for recognition!

Another thing! You said something about buying laptops without OS... Where can I find that? That sounds good!

nocturn
August 10th, 2005, 07:41 AM
How cheap are we talking about?
Because I've been considering amassing money towards a shiny Laptop for some time...
It is a shame about the laptop keyboards tho...
I'm a Portuguese user, and I'd like a PT keyboard.

Post around for ur shop, or better yet mail me when ur shop is opened... The online one that is. I'm not getting a trip to Belgium any time soon.

What kind of laptops are we talking about?
More to power?
Or... (and this woudl be my favorite)
Less power and more battery!

We plan to offer machines in the 500-700 € price range. They should have very good battery lifes, but less power.

My Mail (joao.pio@gmail.com) is that one. Just send me a link towards ur shop, but make the subject sugestive enough for recognition!

I will certainly do so!

Another thing! You said something about buying laptops without OS... Where can I find that? That sounds good!

I do not know about portugal, but there are some brands that offer machines without Windows. The main brands are Aopen, ECS, Maxdata, Jewel notebooks and Nerio notebooks. Some stores that offer those brands do put Windows on them anyway, so you'll have to shop arround. The downside for myself was that most of them are low-powered while I was looking for an AMD64 platform.

chadauld
August 11th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Just another idea... You might wish to have a few models with wireless cards pre-configured. Many people want laptops for the wireless access these day and wireless setup on Linux can be quite frustrating for a new user. Have it ready to go and just give them instructions on how to enter their WEP key, etc.

nocturn
August 11th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Just another idea... You might wish to have a few models with wireless cards pre-configured. Many people want laptops for the wireless access these day and wireless setup on Linux can be quite frustrating for a new user. Have it ready to go and just give them instructions on how to enter their WEP key, etc.

That is exactly the plan, I'm also planning on loading wifi-radar on them (or use the Network Manager that will be in Breezy).

chadauld
August 11th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Sounds like you have it covered. Good luck! :grin:

nocturn
October 3rd, 2005, 02:51 PM
Just an update, our shop is open since this saturday. The laptops should follow in a week or 3, I want to start selling them with Breezy anyway.

In case anyone is interested: http://www.gifta.be
We currently ship to EU countries only though (we need to find out what kind of paperwork is required to ship outside the EU).

Mr_J_
October 3rd, 2005, 03:30 PM
Wen't and saw your store.

I understand it's only a day since the door is open, but...
On the laptops.

There were quite a few requests to change to other keyboards.
Is it possible for you to purchase extra keys and put them in there?

A reorganization of the keys would also be required, but that would only be necessary if extra keys could be purchased.
The portuguese language, for example, uses a few extra keys that other languages don't use. Just like many others here in europe.:D

Just to make a pertinent question.
What is the range of prices of these laptops? I know it's somewhere up the post ladder, but I'm wondering about final prices.
How much to purchase, change keys (if possible to portuguese keyboard), send and everything until it gets to me. Really don't mind if the OS comes in english or portuguese, but the darn keyboard would be really nice! Just look around to see if you can purchase loose keys.
If technical descriptions are available that would be nice.

Finally found keyboard layout pictures. http://www.terena.nl/library/multiling/ml-mua/test/kbd-all.html

Another idea that would be nice would be a manual.
Specific Ubuntu chapters and laptop tips and tricks, tech info and relative max temps and the like... "How to take care of your brand new laptop" for us newbies at laptop care.

In case you're wondering why all the interest. It's because I might have it in me to purchase a laptop if the price is right. Probably around November...

Since ur also into toys and the like. How are you with propeler beanies? It would send my sister into a rage if I ever showed up with one.
So I'd like to get one. Just to see it! If these aren't suposed to be asked here. Just say and I'll start making them privatly to the site's email, or whatever form of comunication I find there.

nocturn
October 4th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Wen't and saw your store.

Thanks for visiting!

I understand it's only a day since the door is open, but...
On the laptops.

There were quite a few requests to change to other keyboards.
Is it possible for you to purchase extra keys and put them in there?

I'm still negotiating with Laptop suppliers (not an easy thing), I'll bring this up at the next occasion. I do hope we can offer different keyboards.

Since ur also into toys and the like. How are you with propeler beanies? It would send my sister into a rage if I ever showed up with one.
So I'd like to get one. Just to see it! If these aren't suposed to be asked here. Just say and I'll start making them privatly to the site's email, or whatever form of comunication I find there.

This part may be better suited off site, you can E-mail us at info@(remove for no-spam)gifta.be or me personally at gvs@(remove for no-spam)gifta.be

What is a propeler beanie?

jhenzenn
October 5th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Ooops, wrong message...

Zelut
October 8th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Out of curiosity, how much does the MS license add to the price of a machine anyway? A lot of friends & family come to me before buying a machine and if I could tell them the MS markup I'm sure I could help 'convert' them :)

I think it'd be a great idea to have a store. I spend a lot of my time formatting windows for people who are tired of spyware/viruses and moving them to our OS. If it came out-of-the-box it'd be fantastic

ubuntu_demon
October 8th, 2005, 10:05 AM
nice store (filosofy + gadgets + ubuntu laptops in the future) !

Z_Cee
October 10th, 2005, 02:42 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu and Linux and I couldn't resist this topic because it involves new laptops being sold without a Microsoft Product being installed.

I was wondering, have you thought about selling Ubuntu laptops/notebooks on Ebay? If a potential customer in the USA, UK, or Australia(and others) were to click the "Worldwide" option in their search for laptops it would include sellers from all parts of the world.

Ebay is a worldwide market and could sell Ubuntu pre-installed computers rather easily.

Just a thought -- I'm enjoying this site. Thanks!

nocturn
October 10th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Out of curiosity, how much does the MS license add to the price of a machine anyway? A lot of friends & family come to me before buying a machine and if I could tell them the MS markup I'm sure I could help 'convert' them :)

It is difficult to answer this because Ms negotiates prices with OEM's individually.
When they are forced to refund a windows license, you typically get something like 30 €, but OEM's that offer a choice of OS typically charge 100-150 € extra for a windows OEM license.

nocturn
October 10th, 2005, 10:02 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu and Linux and I couldn't resist this topic because it involves new laptops being sold without a Microsoft Product being installed.

I was wondering, have you thought about selling Ubuntu laptops/notebooks on Ebay? If a potential customer in the USA, UK, or Australia(and others) were to click the "Worldwide" option in their search for laptops it would include sellers from all parts of the world.

Ebay is a worldwide market and could sell Ubuntu pre-installed computers rather easily.

Just a thought -- I'm enjoying this site. Thanks!

We will consider this, we have a meeting with a potential supplier on friday. I'll see if I can get the non-Belgian keyboards too.

We cannot do outside of the EU for now, until we know what paperwork and laws/taxes are involved.

Mapassy
October 10th, 2005, 09:47 PM
HI,
Ubuntu on laptops, it sounds great!
That is what I have done, I installed Ubuntu on my Acer 2200. GREAT!
I was really surprised when I have discovered that many of the online pc stores in Bulgaria offer laptops with LINUX. More (like what distro, etc) is not mentioned but it is good beginning!
I think it has started alredy to attract the people in Bulgaria because for them the price is the first think they ask. If you cut the license for mS... good product!
I think Ubuntu laptops will have a good market in Eastern europe

jrev
October 14th, 2005, 07:49 AM
I think that you 'll be able to sell a lot of laptops if only you make yourself known on the http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/
I myself was looking for a laptop a few months ago and finally bought a toshiba satellite
:p
let us know what is the laptop brand, the technical parameters and the price ...

nocturn
October 17th, 2005, 08:00 AM
The deal is done, we are going through with it. The laptops will be supplied by MaxData.
We can get them with both Azerty-belgian and qwerty keyboards. I will check which qwerty's they offer, but it's a start.

It may take a couple of weeks before we get this started, but I'm glad we can do it.

Zerocool10482
October 17th, 2005, 01:02 PM
That's good news but when are you going to list things. And please don't go the ebay way. I think you lose alot of money that way with posting things. Will you ship to the US.

nocturn
October 17th, 2005, 02:07 PM
That's good news but when are you going to list things. And please don't go the ebay way. I think you lose alot of money that way with posting things. Will you ship to the US.

We can only proceed when the paperwork is out of the way. Then it is a matter of selecting the models, and doing some testing. We will announce them on our site when they are available.

Unfortunately, we cannot ship to the US at the moment, we need to check the export laws for this, but it can take a while.

jannol
October 20th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Zepto znote laptops seems to be well supported to linux and available to buy without win.

I'm thinking about buying Znote 6515WD for myself.

http://zepto.com

oddflux
October 21st, 2005, 04:47 PM
I'd advise you to dual boot. No novice to linux would like to be discomforted by not having access to windows at all.

aSTeRiX
October 22nd, 2005, 02:23 AM
A lot of people are still just being introduced to the computer world. So when they buy a prebuilt Linux machine, they would expect that is how most computers are. It's the same with people who start with Mac OS, they may have never used a computer before and decided that is the kind they'd want.

nocturn
October 24th, 2005, 07:39 AM
I'd advise you to dual boot. No novice to linux would like to be discomforted by not having access to windows at all.

It is no more difficult for a complete novice to learn to operate a preinstalled Ubuntu machine.

We ar definetely not selling any Ms products. Our store has a policy of ethically justified products, MS does not fit this principle.

ThirdWorld
October 24th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Hi guys

As a bussines owner i am preparing myself to switch all my Winxp boxes to linux Ubuntu. I already have all the linux versions of the apps that I use in windows in my office. Yes I think there is a lot of market, the future of linux will be amazing.:D

prasys
October 24th, 2005, 08:23 AM
certainly its a good idea. Why dual-boot. Certainly , ubuntu offers many things for end-users. What they are going to do in the laptop its up to them, and its a good way to teach people to use linux too. If we include some guides (a la XP Tutorial style) for new people that have made the switch , it will be great. I think its going to be a great idea !

aSTeRiX
October 24th, 2005, 11:56 AM
I've been building a lot of PC's for friends, family, and some people I don't even know lately. I was wondering if it's a good idea to start building PC's with my own money then selling them all ready to go. I'm just turning 18 in January and I'm not sure if people will avoid buying the machines from me because of my age. These machines would be running Ubuntu and possibly a users guide to the operating system.

public_void
October 24th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I'm definetly behind anything Linux, to show people what its all about. Example: I went to a large computer retailer here in the UK. I asked a girl where the Linux distros where, I wanted to see what was on offer, just to give me an idea. It didn't seem she'd heard of linux and passed me to this guy. I asked him, he said "Oh we don't sell that here", as if it where rubbish, obviously misinformed. I know not many places sell a form of Linux distro, but I wish they did, even on a small scale. I think most people are misinformed, some people have seen my desktop when I got Ubuntu and ask me what program that is, or said it looks a bit funny. I hope people building or selling Linux machine luck, and I hope you do well.

ubuntu27
October 25th, 2005, 06:34 AM
I'm definetly behind anything Linux, to show people what its all about. Example: I went to a large computer retailer here in the UK. I asked a girl where the Linux distros where, I wanted to see what was on offer, just to give me an idea. It didn't seem she'd heard of linux and passed me to this guy. I asked him, he said "Oh we don't sell that here", as if it where rubbish, obviously misinformed. I know not many places sell a form of Linux distro, but I wish they did, even on a small scale. I think most people are misinformed, some people have seen my desktop when I got Ubuntu and ask me what program that is, or said it looks a bit funny. I hope people building or selling Linux machine luck, and I hope you do well.

And that reminds me of a little incident I had one week before. My nickname in my MSN Messenger/Gaim connected to MSN was "Ever Wonder Why they (Microsoft) chose to name their next OS Vista? Virus Infections, Spyware, Trojans, and Adware” And a girl in my contact list said: “You are the only one who wonders that” and I told her “It is a joke, I am a Linux user” [Well, not all Linux user make fun of MS though] . and she replied: “What's Linux?”

Back to the topic, I believe it is a good idea to chip computers preinstalled with Linux [Any distro, but in this case I prefer Ubuntu], so that people will be at least be AWARE that there is a OS called Linux.

JurB
October 29th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Great idea!
I'm from belgium and was looking to buy a laptop...
Going to watch you're site right now!!!

estel
November 4th, 2005, 02:09 PM
I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap, not exactly fast laptop that will just be practical for work etc. I'd certainly consider this.

HJThis
November 4th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Hello,All

First safe weekend

wow if i could get one in the US i would be all over it

Best of luck

dosed150
November 13th, 2005, 01:41 AM

i bet that was pcworld sounds so much like them

JurB
November 29th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Any news about these laptops?... i'm planning on buying one elsewhere before the end of the year, but if you are close to selling them i'de first have a look and then decide...

nocturn
November 29th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Any news about these laptops?... i'm planning on buying one elsewhere before the end of the year, but if you are close to selling them i'de first have a look and then decide...

We are very close to selling them.

The laptops will be provided by maxdata. The models we will offer standard are similar to the ECO 4000A and EC0 4500A, with some modifications and off course without Windows :-)

Some specs are here: http://products.maxdata.nl/upload/web/entry_index.htm

I am trying to get one model with Nvidia card (4100IW, but I cannot get that one without windows license).

nocturn
December 1st, 2005, 12:04 PM
This is it, the laptops are up on our site. You can view them at http://www.gifta.be

We can supply them with German, Swiss, US, UK, French, Belgian, Dutch, Spanish and Italien keyboards.
This is a dream come true for me.

aSTeRiX
December 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM
This is it, the laptops are up on our site. You can view them at http://www.gifta.be

We can supply them with German, Swiss, US, UK, French, Belgian, Dutch, Spanish and Italien keyboards.
Awesome job man! I think with a bit of advertising your laptops will become popular. I just wish more of the information was in english.

JurB
December 1st, 2005, 05:20 PM
Nice,
could you pm me the full specs of both models please? (graphic card, soundcard,
hd speed, etc...)
I assume the racer model has the 64-bit version of ubuntu... has it been fully tested and know to work with the hardware?

small tip: in the pictures, replace the xp desktop with the ubuntu logo or something ;)

CTRL-ALT-DLT
December 24th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks for all the positive feedback! I will certainly post a link when the store is open.

The Linux-laptops are a side product (the main focus of the store is gifts and gadgets). If they really hit off (and there is demand for server products too), we may split that part of in a seperate business (in some years). If not, we will have to discontinue that line and try again later...
I live in Belgium (but we're moving in 5 weeks)! Maybe i could visit your store sometime..

steve
December 29th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Some specs are here: http://products.maxdata.nl/upload/web/entry_index.htm

I am trying to get one model with Nvidia card (4100IW, but I cannot get that one without windows license).

I like what you're doing here. I've often thought of doing something similar, but as a software developer I probably wouldn't do well selling laptops. :)

I was just wondering: Is it possible for you to post complete specs on this laptop? Specifically I'm wondering about the wireless card, DVD-RW, and bluetooth (if any); also, does the laptop you've built have full open source driver support? (ie. Everything works the instant Ubuntu has been installed - no fiddling, and no non-free drivers). I would really like to build myself a couple of laptops, similar to Apple's iBook/PowerBook line, that supported Ubuntu out-of-the-box, then post a how-to online.

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else built their own Ubuntu laptop? Is anyone running an off-the-shelf laptop that has full Ubuntu support? (IBM ThinkPad x-series have great support, but I'm interested in a desktop replacement as well as 12" ultraportables.)

nocturn
December 29th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I like what you're doing here. I've often thought of doing something similar, but as a software developer I probably wouldn't do well selling laptops. :)

I was just wondering: Is it possible for you to post complete specs on this laptop? Specifically I'm wondering about the wireless card, DVD-RW, and bluetooth (if any); also, does the laptop you've built have full open source driver support? (ie. Everything works the instant Ubuntu has been installed - no fiddling, and no non-free drivers). I would really like to build myself a couple of laptops, similar to Apple's iBook/PowerBook line, that supported Ubuntu out-of-the-box, then post a how-to online.

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else built their own Ubuntu laptop? Is anyone running an off-the-shelf laptop that has full Ubuntu support? (IBM ThinkPad x-series have great support, but I'm interested in a desktop replacement as well as 12" ultraportables.)

Hello Steve

I will post a link to the full specs, but everything works out of the box with Ubuntu, including the Wireless card (realtek kernel driver) and the DVD+/- drive. They even hibernate without tweaking.

So, no non-free drivers or tweaking required.

nocturn
December 29th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I added a full spec list to the pages on our shop site.

Jonne
January 17th, 2006, 12:19 AM
I posted an inquiry for a laptop in the webform on your site. I hope you'll be able to help me.

Even if you can't, you're doing a great job :).

zasf
January 17th, 2006, 12:47 PM

The right word is "italian", i just wanted to report this since I saw it wrong also on the website.

Other than that, keep on the good work!

Krigl
February 14th, 2006, 08:47 AM
About keyboards - we use QWERTZ ones here and if you buy a foreign laptop, it is possible to buy QWERTZ-cz keyboard stickers, so you don't need to change keys. Guess it should be possible in Belgium as well.

nocturn
February 15th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Dear all

This is a last posting here. The store has been closed.

Thanks for your interest.