PDA

View Full Version : Synchronicity: Or the odd things that happen to us

eXisor
June 1st, 2007, 05:47 PM
Some things that have happened to me just have to make me think... What are the odds?

An example.

Many years ago, before cellphones, a couple of buddies and I were going to a bar for after-work drinks. Our girlfriends and another buddy were going to meet us later, making drinks into supper, supper into drinks, you get the idea.
Having parked our cars in a make-shift parking lot (it's a ZA thing), Garth, Tony and I walked towards the pub, passing a phone-booth along the way. The phone started ringing.
Usually I'd probably not even notice, but since I was lagging slightly behind and in good spirits, I thought, hey, let me help someone out: meaning this is a public phone in the middle-of-nowhere, so wrong number?
In any event, I answered and my buddy Phillip, who was to meet us later, slightly nonplussed, said, Oh, he thought he was phoning Garth to tell him to go on without him, the Garth who was by then fifteen paces ahead of me and had without benefit of call done exactly that.
Huh? Phillip? Do you know you just called a phonebooth I happened to be walking by?
Of course since Garth was not at home where Phillip was trying to reach him, this freak connection was probably the only way for Phillip to reach Garth at that moment in time, like some super-psychic-operator thought, yeah, it's meaningless and trivial enough, this I gotta do. Let's givem something to think about.
So i called Garth to complete that psychic connection, not telling him a thing beyond that it was for him. He thought I was taking-the-**** so was a little weary at first, but gobsmacked astonishment later, Phillip, how.... and eventually Tony got to bear witness too.

Strangest thing this synchronicity.

I have other instances, but I'd hate to get ahead of myself.

So tell me what you think and relate the inexpicable things that have happened to you.

stmiller
June 1st, 2007, 10:13 PM
Ah Carl Jung? Fascinating stuff.

eXisor
July 2nd, 2007, 12:11 PM
Four weeks on and I'm still the only one to have a relateable encounter?

Anyhow, I said I have a few more instances to share, so I'll continue. Be warned, this one's downright creepy and I hope it never happens to me again. Cue twilight zone and outer limits. Suspend belief, disbelief, or neither, if this kind of thing is simply monday.

In any event, picture a crowded bar with limited seating so clusters of people standing close together drinking beer and catching up with their own party. My friends and I are chatting, no deep thoughts, nothing serious, but I'm focused on our group so imagine my surprise when I somehow tune into what the guy directly behind me, no more than six inches away, facing his group, is saying, and moreover, I'm like a beat and a half ahead of him when my disbelief prompts me to start speaking his words, exactly the way he speaks.

We're so perfectly attuned that two or three sentences later I'm a full sentence ahead of him and my friends are listening to us, myself and the perfect echo behind me, and sharing my astonishment.

That's when the guy hears himself as the echo, and spends a hellish few moments trying, and failing, to assert his individuality/persona, to break free and to stop being the echo. He later said he couldn't: the words I spoke were his and he had no others. He said he felt trapped, helpless, that words stopped having meaning and became unrecogniseable, yet he had to make the sounds. I beat him to the verbal punch, all the way through his astonishment and false starts, from the topic of their conversation to the freaky WTF we all arrived at.

It was so difficult to sever the link that I had to stop talking altogether before I, and he, got back control, and to be unique again.

As you can imagine he felt I usurped his persona so we very nearly got to fisticuffs, and it was only when he realised I was as freaked as he, that we all got beyond it to consider what happened. No definitive conclusions, but suffice it to say none of us would have said it to be possible, not for so long, and not through the stop/start, shock and surprise, trying to break free part of it.

Let me be clear, I had no access to his thoughts and personality or any special knowledge. It was as if I got a real-time feed and he got a time-delayed version of what he'd say/said. For me too, his words held little meaning.

Trying to understand it all, then, and later, I must've unconsciously overheard their conversation, tuned into his way of speaking and thinking, somehow arrived at a knowing of what he would say next, which, listening to him, I affirmed a while before speaking. And all that unconsciously, without trying or wanting to.

I've never come across anything the like, in literature or psych, so I wonder, does this mean we can surf each other's thoughts?
:)

Can I borrow a tin hat?

DoctorMO
July 2nd, 2007, 01:06 PM
Let me be clear, I had no access to his thoughts and personality or any special knowledge.

Hardly a surprise; human minds are a boggle of stuff going on at the same time; people them selves don't know what their about to say most of the time. It always amazes me that people think they are their thoughts when it's really that their thoughts is what makes up them.

The only really freaky thing (apart from the usual, think about someone and have them call or email you) when I was much younger I apparently went for an hours time travel. I had stored my PE kit in a teachers class room at lunch but then forgot to take it with me for the last period. so I runs back to the other building and find a happy smiling class room and the teacher is happy to let me take my stuff and I runs back. the problem was that on that day said teacher had an important test for her students on the last period and swears I came in during the previous period which was just a normal class. Logically either the teacher was lying (I confirmed with her students), I was confused (hardly since my time table doesn't change all year) or it was very odd.

I was once told that if telepathy was ever possible; humans would develop it as an advanced form of empathy; since it would be advantageous to understand others in social groups.

Omnios
July 8th, 2007, 04:16 AM
When I was fairly young I went to a friend of mines computer store "think it was early C-64 days. Anyways he had one of those old net servers way back when. So anyways I was asking what it did and he said users could phone in and use it. So anyways I said so its the Internet. And he answered the what?

Well years later they they came up with the name internet for what is now the internet.