PDA

View Full Version : Resize console window within C++ program

nrwilk
May 27th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Heya everyone,

I am having fun writing a little ncurses app with C++, and I want to be able to resize the console window from within the application. Does anyone know how I can do this? I would like to be able to check the columns and rows, and if the window is too small, resize it.

I found this, but it doesn't seem to work in Konsole:

\e[8;50;80t

I do have konsole set to allow resizing.

Is there any way to make sure that a C++ program will be able to resize the console window, no matter which one it is running in?

Thanks for any help!

nrwilk

linfidel
May 27th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Are you sure you want to do this? If the program is only for you, it's fine, but if others are using it, you will probably only manage to annoy them. Users can make it whatever size they want, and may prefer doing things their own way, like most Linux users. :)

nrwilk
May 30th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Are you sure you want to do this? If the program is only for you, it's fine, but if others are using it, you will probably only manage to annoy them. Users can make it whatever size they want, and may prefer doing things their own way, like most Linux users. :)

Yeah, I doubt it will ever be seen by anyone other than me. Just for fun and learning. I know I would hate it if my console window was resized without my permission. Also, the resize will be optional, with the default choice being a negative.

So, I just want to experiment with it.

winch
May 30th, 2007, 10:28 PM
if you use dcop (http://www.volny.cz/bwian/dcop.html) to resize the konsole window.

dcop konsole-<konsole PID> konsole-mainwindow#1 resize 700 500

Locks you into using konsole and requires you have the PID of the konsole your program is running in.

nrwilk
June 23rd, 2007, 07:27 PM
if you use dcop (http://www.volny.cz/bwian/dcop.html) to resize the konsole window.

dcop konsole-<konsole PID> konsole-mainwindow#1 resize 700 500

Locks you into using konsole and requires you have the PID of the konsole your program is running in.

Yeah, but I'd like it if it wasn't specific to Konsole. Isn't there some easy, standard way to resize a console window? If there isn't, then there should be.