PDA

View Full Version : how-to web site

lyceum
May 21st, 2007, 02:01 PM
I am currently working on a "how-to" website for Ubuntu. It has 3 goals.

1. Help new users find the FOSS programs they need to make Ubuntu useable.

2. Help them install Ubuntu and the software they need.

3. Raise awareness for FOSS in general.

I am working on a database for the programs. It will include information from the each program's homepage and Wikipedia. It will also let users know what platform the program can be used with (Linux, Apple, Windows). Then there will be room for users comments.

I was wondering if I could get some help making how-to's like the one I made for using the IRC. Word and pictures with a white background (no wallpaper to distract). I would like to get this done before the Ohio Linuxfest. If you would like to help, please let me know.

Thank you.

jimbo2150
May 21st, 2007, 02:16 PM
I volunteer! Just let me know what programs you want me to work on! I used to make how-tos all the time.

lyceum
May 21st, 2007, 03:16 PM
I volunteer! Just let me know what programs you want me to work on! I used to make how-tos all the time.

Pretty much anything in Add/Remove. I am going to start the site off with all the programs found there. You do not need to do anything for GIMP, I am working on those while working on the site. I you want to have some fun, you can do some "how-to play" for games, but really I think the best thing would be the programs you use the most. Thanks!

-edit-

After some thought here is a list of the most "important":

1. Evolution (setup and use)
2. GAIM/Pidgin (setup and use)
3. Thunderbird (setup and use)
4. Firefox add-ons

I know these can be found elsewhere, but I am trying to create a site that is all encompassing.

lyceum
May 28th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I messed with the IRC how-to to make it look better. This is the rout I plan to take with the how-to's if anyone would like to comment.

jimbo2150
May 29th, 2007, 01:35 AM
I am not sure where you are putting your tutorials. In the Ubuntu Ohio wiki or on another site?

lyceum
May 29th, 2007, 02:12 AM
I am not sure where you are putting your tutorials. In the Ubuntu Ohio wiki or on another site?

http://whitetreeevolution.com/chatohio.html

Sorry, There is a sticky here in the Ohio LoCo's group on how to use the IRC, but here is a direct link.

blakesmith
May 31st, 2007, 03:32 AM
Looks good, only thing I see is that the Page 1 link is really page two and so on.

lyceum
May 31st, 2007, 12:02 PM
Looks good, only thing I see is that the Page 1 link is really page two and so on.

yeah, page one is just an intro, so I really didn't think that it counted as a real "page 1" on the how-to. Thanks for the input. :)

evolushun
October 3rd, 2007, 09:03 AM
This may be out of the question and I certainly don't mean to step on anyone's toes but I can help with the website if needed? I am not very gifted in the "how-to's" but I can make a mean website! LOL

lyceum
October 3rd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the offer. I am a web designer (or at least learning to be a web designer). But my project kind of got scrapped. There is a user here in the forum that has already organized what I was trying to do better than I could. His project is called Going Open. His name is curuxz. You may want to see if he needs any help. :)