PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu Better than Fedora?

flowingfire
May 17th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Hi everybody. I'm somewhat curious about your opinions about Ubuntu in comparison to Fedora.

The reason I ask is because, in less than 10 days, Fedora is releasing a new version that they promise will be pretty ground-breaking. I'm actually quite excited, because it seems to me that technologies coming from the Red-Hat engineers are bound to be pretty exciting... At least that's my assumption.

Why do you all choose to use Ubuntu over Fedora? What are Ubuntu's inherent strengths? What are Fedora's strengths? Why should anybody use Ubuntu instead? What are the pros and cons?

I'm really curious, because I have the inclination that while Fedora may be a bit more stable overall, Ubuntu is a bit ahead of the game. Is this a correct assessment? Is Ubuntu more usable overall because it incorporates untested elements that might not be as stable?

Just curious. I want to know what the best possible Linux experience would be.

Thanks.

Lord Illidan
May 17th, 2007, 08:04 AM
We might be a bit biased...but what do you expect from ubuntuforums?

Personally, I like Ubuntu most for its package manager. Fedora's substitute is slow, and doesn't have as many packages, as well as being more complicated.

Other than that, they're both good distros.

heimo
May 17th, 2007, 08:11 AM

Curious? Install them, test them, make your choice. Bringing up "distro-wars", endless discussions about strengths and weaknesses of distributions on a naturally biased forum (Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php) > The Ubuntu Forum Community (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=130) > Forum Community) (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=175) won't lead to anything. They're both probably very good distributions and it's great that Fedora has a new release coming soon.

Which one is better? Which bottled water is better?

flowingfire
May 17th, 2007, 08:17 AM
LOL. I'm asking because I basically want to know why YOU chose Ubuntu over the others. It's not meant to be a distro war.

I honestly want to know what the strengths are, because I want to make an informed choice before installing Fedora, possibly hating it, then going to all the trouble of re-installing and configuring Ubuntu just how I like it.:)

And Ubuntu is pretty good!

macogw
May 17th, 2007, 08:20 AM
All I'm saying is this: I hate yum and it's super slowyness and weird install-a-repo-with-an-rpm thing

heimo
May 17th, 2007, 08:28 AM
I honestly want to know what the strengths are

I have no recent experience with RedHat based distributions, but the thing that drove me back from RedHat to Debian was Debians great package management and excellent package repositories. The thing that drove me from stable Debian to Sid was hunger for latest software. And then there wasn't a long jump from Sid to latest Ubuntu (two years ago), which inherits Debians great package management, combines it with very latest Gnome stuff, adds some more polish and is backed up with huge, friendly, easily approachable (I hope that's a word) community of users and developers at Ubuntuforums. </end of marketing>

jiminycricket
May 17th, 2007, 08:32 AM
They both definitely have their strengths. Fedora of course is supported by Red hat and therefore really high quality, good system-config-* GUI tools, and they created AIGLX. I really like Ubuntu/Debian's upgrade capabilities though and apt-get overall better though; no need to download new .iso files to upgrade.

karellen
May 17th, 2007, 08:43 AM
ubuntu pros:
- the community;
- the package manager;
- mark shuttleworth;
- shipit;

fedora pros:
- red hat support;
- some technologies (eg selinux);

in the end, I choose ubuntu, it suits me better

WalmartSniperLX
May 17th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Well I use both so here goes:

-Ubuntu has a better package management system (apt). It is MUCH FASTER than Fedora's (yum/.rpm)
-Ubuntu is THE LARGEST community maintained Linux OS. There are many benefits there. Also this leads to better support by the entire linux community.
-Fedora uses .rpm, which is more popular than .deb (ubuntu) as far as commercial programers since it is the Redhat package management. Think of it as the largest commercial supported distro/packagement.
-Fedora is backed by RedHat by developers, community, and financially. It is generally a high quality OS with both a powerful CLI and a full GUI.

Btw I use Fedora core 6. I do not have Ubuntu installed on my current pc. The only install of Ubuntu I have atm is 6.06 and thats on an older pc that is sitting a foot from my current pc, not plugged in.

But that's what I think. To find out what you will like more, try out each one and see for yourself. I plan on updating to Fedora 7. But, doesn't mean I necessarily like it more than Ubuntu.

ButteBlues
May 17th, 2007, 08:59 AM
The only issue I've found with Fedora is that it still, unlike SUSE, Ubuntu, etc, cannot compile my wireless drivers correctly (I have to do it manually).

Other than that, it's a solid distro.

beast2k
May 17th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Hi everybody. I'm somewhat curious about your opinions about Ubuntu in comparison to Fedora.

The reason I ask is because, in less than 10 days, Fedora is releasing a new version that they promise will be pretty ground-breaking. I'm actually quite excited, because it seems to me that technologies coming from the Red-Hat engineers are bound to be pretty exciting... At least that's my assumption.

Why do you all choose to use Ubuntu over Fedora? What are Ubuntu's inherent strengths? What are Fedora's strengths? Why should anybody use Ubuntu instead? What are the pros and cons?

I'm really curious, because I have the inclination that while Fedora may be a bit more stable overall, Ubuntu is a bit ahead of the game. Is this a correct assessment? Is Ubuntu more usable overall because it incorporates untested elements that might not be as stable?

Thanks.
I think I can help you here, I have been wrestling with this Fedora vs Ubuntu thing since ubuntu came out. Ubuntu (IMO) has an edge over fedora for 2 reasons. Ubuntu is a one cd distro and it's a live cd and as a result the install is faster and it's less bloated when your done. The second reason is dependencys when installing anything that isn't available through yum. This is where the synaptic package manager really shines, I simply got tired of fighting with rpm packages. Also allong this line, the fedora people have a real hard line way of thinking toward closed source apps/drivers they do have fedora frog that is being worked on but its not even in the same league as automatix or easyubuntu all this makes fedora that much harder to manage after the install. With all this said Fedora would be my first choice for a server or a situation where I didn't need a gui, because it's better supported. Go into a bookstore and ask for a book on Ubuntu and see what happens, then go and ask for a book on redhat/fedora, you get my point here. So Fedora/Redhat for servers (for now) and (K)Ubuntu for the desktop (for now)

flowingfire
May 17th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Wow. Thanks. These are really awesome answers. I have to say that I'm pretty convinced that I'm going to stick with Ubuntu.

I especially like the distinction between Fedora as a good server system and Ubuntu as the good desktop system.

Plus, these forums rock. I don't know if you get this kind of community support with Fedora, but I doubt it. :)

Dragonbite
May 17th, 2007, 02:06 PM
You can also bring up this discussion in the Other OS Talk (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=147) forum where you will most likely run across a number of people who use something else in addition to or instead of Ubuntu. They will likely have some good perspective on things.

Eddie Wilson
May 17th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Hello All,
Well I have never used Fedora, but from what I hear its a very good distro. I have tried several distros and Ubuntu is my first choice. I do perfer a distro that is backed by a company rather than a small group. Thats not saying that there are not good distros put out by small groups. I'm sure there are. SimplyMepis is one, but Ubuntu has always worked great for me. I do believe that I will try Fedora because trying different distros is just plain fun.
Eddie

beercz
May 17th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Is Ubuntu Better than Fedora?

In short ....

.... I don't know!

chingchong
February 17th, 2008, 12:56 PM
First off anything thats OpenSource is better IMO. I have used Fedora since Core 2, and Mandrake before that. I've tried Slackware and Suse and everything I could get my hands on. Fedora's Application manager does leave some things to be desired some times but saying its only good for servers or inferior to Unbuntu is obscene. Fedora's install is easy and while DVD or multi CD distros are intimidating there's good reason... offline install flexibility.

I like that Unbuntu is a live/install the only problem is with my new 8800GT I can't install it, at least not outside the text mode install which you need a separate CD for or the DVD distro. Lots of people are having this issue just search "Unbuntu install blank screen 8800GT". The solution is to install in text mode and use the terminal to update drivers, this will scare Linux users away. And if everyone continues to say Unbuntu is the best, new users will start and stop there. This is appalling. Fedora installed perfectly every time, on every PC I've ever used. I've heard all this hype about Unbuntu and haven't scene much advantage to it but if its attracting new Linux users or preventing Noobs from getting deterred, I'm all for it. I would like to check out Unbuntu's upgrade feature as this has been a weakness for Fedora but I've seen a few posts with issues with that as well.

But as for my response to the users question, from my experience Fedora is a much better Distro... easier to install and far more packages available.

So NO! Unbuntu is not better... when they improve their installer they may be on par with Fedora but the current state is unacceptable for the average noob with the newest hardware.

I will say this they're text mode installer is great, I have used it but unfortunately my CD was corrupted so the install failed. But I never should have had to use it in the first place.

Finally Unbuntu and Fedora are both linux distros with their own unique packaging schemes. Other than that you won't see a real difference (except maybe in the install, if your hardware allows it Unbuntu is more streamlined, otherwise Fedora will always work well).
-If you want better performance Gentoo is the distro, everything is compiled specifically for your hardware.
-If you want better security and don't care about using older hardware Free/OpenBSD is excellent.
-Mandrake, Suse, Debian are on par with Fedora and Unbuntu, make your choice on hardware support if you're a total noob, if you have the slightest bit of experience pick which ever gives you the warm and fuzzies. Better yet install them all, delete the ones you use the least.

Thanks for reading.

FYI I plan on installing Unbuntu when the DVD distro finishes downloading. I want to remain informed in case I find something I like.

Jay Jay
February 17th, 2008, 01:56 PM
You can also bring up this discussion in the Other OS Talk (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=147) forum where you will most likely run across a number of people who use something else in addition to or instead of Ubuntu. They will likely have some good perspective on things.

I suppose that would mean someone like me... I run Windows (for now), OSX and (X)Ubuntu all alongside each other. On the Linux front I have so far tried Fedora, Knoppix, DSL and the "Ubuntu family" of distros. From my experiences in a head to head comparison between Fedora and (K)(X)Ubuntu, It was always the Ubuntu distros that won me over as a newbie because the Live CD's featured better hardware support. My wireless card worked from the moment of booting up. Whereas with Fedora things didn't go quite so smoothly - my card never worked, which was a major stumbling block.

Ubuntu also feels much more intuitive than Fedora, even as a novice I was able to find my way around and learn how to achieve tasks more quickly. However these are just my experiences, but I hope they go some way to answering your question.

Redlance
February 17th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Bah! Everyone already knows caldera linux beats all distro's hands down!!

:lolflag:

<runs away laughing maniacly>

just kidding. In the end I am just glad there is choice. and Ubuntu has been my choice for 2 years

:guitar:

Quillz
February 17th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I've used both and I think they're about the same. I stick with Ubuntu only because it was my first Linux distro.

Mateo
February 17th, 2008, 05:35 PM
to me, the most difficult thing about Fedora is their installer. You type in the name of a program and it might show you several versions of the same software (ubuntu only shows the most recent version, unless you ask for an older version), and it also doesn't show the software's name, it shows the package name so it can be difficult to find what you need.

gletob
February 17th, 2008, 05:35 PM
there are two reasons I use ubuntu : I like sudo and I like the names even though I'm still waiting for Horny Hamster

stmiller
February 17th, 2008, 05:45 PM
On Fedora you can install and use apt:

yum install apt

:) This is what I do when working with redhat-like boxes.

Mateo
February 17th, 2008, 05:46 PM
that's cool. i didn't know apt could work with rpm files. does it run with synaptic as well?

gn2
February 18th, 2008, 12:46 AM
does it run with synaptic as well?

Should do, openSUSE and PCLinuxOS are .rpm distros that can use Synaptic.

Synaptic is installed by default in PCLinuxOS, openSUSE you have to install it.

Distro-v-Distro which is better is like asking which is better, apples or oranges.

It''s just a matter of personal taste.

cprofitt
February 18th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Fedora's install took much longer, its patching process to much longer and its package management was downright painful. If you want an RPM based distro the only one I would suggest is openSUSE and I still prefer pacman or apt/synaptic over openSUSE's yast.

savantelite
February 18th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I keep giving fedora chances to impress me, but it never does.

thenetduck
February 18th, 2008, 02:57 AM
I have used everything from Mandrake to Gentoo. Currently I use Ubuntu. I have used Fedora (around core 4) but switched to Ubuntu because it made my hardware work.

Currently if you are trying to choose between the two, here are some good things to consider.

Fedora uses .rpm (duh, i know) and ubuntu uses .deb packages to manage packages. I found the problem with .rpm packages is they are sometimes specific to the distro. For instance, Suse and Fendora use .RPM packages, but some .rpm packages don't work with all systems smoothly. I found this annoying. Every go to a site and see 4 different RPM's? This is kind of why I enjoyed Gentoo because everthing was from source, so didn't really matter much but it just was too time consuming with troubleshooting.

Now with that said, .deb packages are a little bit cleaner than .rpms IMO but .rpms retain more information that a .deb package. This can be useful. Also, rpm see to be more mainstream for business. While in college if I need a program (because I was using Linux) I found that if the company I was getting the program had it for linux, it was always .rpm never .deb .This is changing with Ubuntu's popularity though, I have noticed .deb for Ubuntu specifically poping up just as much in Main stream.

Fedora has a good community and is backed by Red Had witch is cool, but I think Ubuntu has a bigger better community. There isn't much of a performance difference between the two, they are both using a linux kernel, it's just the packages that are installed and how they are installed.

The Net Duck

Northsider
February 18th, 2008, 04:25 AM
I can't even install Fedora, I always get errors or my computer craps out on me. I always wanter to try openSuse though, it seems harder than Ubuntu, and I don't even know my way around Ubuntu yet! :-]

mybunche
February 18th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I think technically, as a means to an end, there is not much between Ubuntu and Fedora.

For me Ubuntu is 'better' than Fedora for other reasons- eg
-its based off Debian, an incredible project
-to me Ubuntu 'feels' more international or multi-cultural
-it has the best forums :)
-Ubuntu wants to grow, has goals and people behind it are pushing it forward
-that Canonical is not a public company
-it's really the ecosystem around Ubuntu is what I like
-I'm not really sure how the Red Hat chiefs view the Fedora project. Is it an end in itself, or a means to their paid offerings. Red Hat is a public company and has obligations to its shareholders and as a result this effects their direction.

That being said, Red Hat is a profitable company which has many of paid employees that contribute greatly to open source.

mdsmedia
February 20th, 2008, 02:08 PM
First off anything thats OpenSource is better IMO. I have used Fedora since Core 2, and Mandrake before that. I've tried Slackware and Suse and everything I could get my hands on. Fedora's Application manager does leave some things to be desired some times but saying its only good for servers or inferior to Unbuntu is obscene.First, it's UBUNTU...not UNBUNTU, 2nd, nobody said it's ONLY good for servers or inferior to Ubuntu.

Considering the question was asked on an Ubuntu forum, in MAY LAST YEAR, it's nice that at least the Ubuntu forum members can have some impartiality regarding other distros. Nobody got on their high horse and said Ubuntu was better. They just stated their opinions and gave reasons.

Fedora's install is easy and while DVD or multi CD distros are intimidating there's good reason... offline install flexibility.Good point....but Ubuntu's installation is pretty easy too.

I like that U[n]buntu is a live/install the only problem is with my new 8800GT I can't install it, at least not outside the text mode install which you need a separate CD for or the DVD distro. Lots of people are having this issue just search "U[n]buntu [ahh forget it] install blank screen 8800GT".So your particular hardware has problems?
The solution is to install in text mode and use the terminal to update drivers, this will scare Linux users away. And if everyone continues to say Unbuntu is the best, new users will start and stop there. This is appalling.You really think so? I think it's WONDERFUL, although, if they're having hardware problems as you seem to have they'll probably be pointed in the direction of another distro which might work for them, rather than just "stick with Ubuntu....it's the best"
Fedora installed perfectly every time, on every PC I've ever used.Ubuntu installed perfectly everytime for me too.
I've heard all this hype about Unbuntu and haven't scene much advantage to itAnd what most are saying is TRY other distros and see how you like them. There may not seem to be any advantage...to YOU, but there may be, for reasons given by others, for someone else
but if its attracting new Linux users or preventing Noobs from getting deterred, I'm all for it. Here Here!!
I would like to check out Unbuntu's upgrade feature as this has been a weakness for Fedora but I've seen a few posts with issues with that as well.As there are for ANY OS or distro. Because it's free, people jump in as soon as the OS releases an update. Then complain about bugs. They happen.

So NO! Unbuntu is not better... when they improve their installer they may be on par with Fedora but the current state is unacceptable for the average noob with the newest hardware.Or more accurately, YOU.

Finally Unbuntu and Fedora are both linux distros with their own unique packaging schemes. Other than that you won't see a real difference (except maybe in the install, if your hardware allows it Unbuntu is more streamlined, otherwise Fedora will always work well).No it won't. You make statements like "obscene" and "appalling" yet you make a comment like this, knowing full well that it's just not true. Fedora will NOT always work well, just like Ubuntu will not always work well.

roaldz
February 20th, 2008, 02:51 PM
@mdsmedia

+1

quinnten83
February 20th, 2008, 03:13 PM
there are two reasons I use ubuntu : I like sudo and I like the names even though I'm still waiting for Horny Hamster

well you might get a chance for it in 13 years :)