PDA

View Full Version : returning to new posts from long threads

timczer
June 25th, 2005, 03:37 AM
I have a nagging issue with reading threads. I like to hit new posts and then go through and read the ones that interest me. But if the post is several pages long, when I finish reading I have to hit the back botton on the browser several times to get back to the new posts thread. I think there should be away to get back to the starting point without having to go back several times.

Also (I guess its two nagging issues) is that on the posts, could the date of the original post be placed next to the name of the person originating the post. Sometimes a new post to a very old thread will come up. It would be nice to know how old the thread is to determine its relevance.

kassetra
June 25th, 2005, 05:00 AM
I have a nagging issue with reading threads. I like to hit new posts and then go through and read the ones that interest me. But if the post is several pages long, when I finish reading I have to hit the back botton on the browser several times to get back to the new posts thread. I think there should be away to get back to the starting point without having to go back several times.

Also (I guess its two nagging issues) is that on the posts, could the date of the original post be placed next to the name of the person originating the post. Sometimes a new post to a very old thread will come up. It would be nice to know how old the thread is to determine its relevance.

Ok -
1. Have you tried reversing the order of the posts? When I click on a thread, it shows me the "new posts" as pages 1, 2, etc. and the "LAST>>" takes me to the posts that started the threads... So then you've read the new ones, can skim the first ones, and decide if you want to read the ones in the middle... (without hitting the 'back' button a bunch.) ... Also it's very possible that when a new version of our forum software is released they might have a "<<FIRST" button as well...

2. The dates of each post are above the person that made the post... that's an automatic function -- are you asking to have the person that started the thread show only the first date in that thread, no matter how many times or when that person posts? Maybe I'm not quite understanding what you mean... can you clarify?

timczer
June 25th, 2005, 12:25 PM
On the first point, I did try that but I found it confusing as you sort of end up reading the argument backwards. It seems more comfortable to start at the beginning and follow the post through.

On the second point, on the starting point for this sub forrum, my topic is listed with my name under it. You are listed as a replier with the date and time you replied. I think it would be helpful if the date I started the thread was next to my name. Often with "new posts" someone will reply to a thread that may have been started several months ago, and the original topic may be obsolete now (maybe something before hoary was final, an old Nvidia driver, etc.) I guess for me knowing when the thriead started puts the in context without having to actually open the thread to see the date of the first post.