PDA

View Full Version : 28 Weeks Later

BWF89
May 12th, 2007, 05:03 AM
I just saw the original 28 Days Later on TV yesterday. I liked the first half, but after they got to the military base I thought it went downhill.

I went to the movies today and saw the sequel 28 Weeks Later with some friends. It was action packed but I was disappointed with it also.

I'd say it's worth watching, if only because I like post-apocalyptic type movies.

The main gripe I have against the 28 movies is I can't help but compare them to George A Romero's Day of the Dead films which were really good. I like zombie movies where the main characters are just trying to survive against zombies. I guess you could say I like that "isolation feeling" you get from Romero's movies where the characters hold up somewhere and eventually plan escape better than the 28 series where the characters are constantly running around to different places.

Ender Black
May 12th, 2007, 05:19 AM
BWF89,
You sound like you would really enjoy a review of Xbox 360's zombie game, the name escapes me at the moment, on the latest edition of theescapistmagazine.com. If you haven't read escapist.com yet, when they review a game they usually review like literature explaining the imagery and the underlying message. The reviewer had a fascinating take on what makes us enjoy zombie flicks and what they really mean in context to Western - Consumerism society.

Edit: Heres the link to the story: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/96/9

antenna
May 12th, 2007, 05:20 AM
The original is one of my favourite movies (yes the first half is the better), I didn't know the second one was released already (i'm slow). Will have to catch that sometime.

afljafa
May 12th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Looking forward to it. Will probably get the original out just prior to seeing the latest.

Love the genre.

cliv
May 12th, 2007, 07:37 AM
28 days later is my favorite zombie movie and i dont even like zombie movies... :-) it just seemed a different compared to other zombie movies. Im looking forward to see if 28 weeks later can live up to the first one.

karellen
May 12th, 2007, 07:40 AM
I saw the first one and I liked it, probably I'll go and see 28 weeks later
the zombies in romero's movies are dead people brought back to life that can be killed only by destroying their brain. in 28 days later, they are ordinary living people, infected by that strange virus "rage". they move pretty fast and die much easier

DoctorMO
May 12th, 2007, 07:58 AM
is the second one set in the USA?

karellen
May 12th, 2007, 08:21 AM
is the second one set in the USA?

I don't think so, probably is set in London

cliv
May 12th, 2007, 08:54 AM
according to imdb it is set in london, but the american army is involved :-)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0463854/plotsummary

Chilli Bob
May 12th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Saw 28 weeks later last night. Pretty good, but then I LOVE end-of-civilisation flicks.

The first one (28 Days Later) was great too, but has no-one noticed that the entire story is taken almost word for word from the book "Day of the Triffids" (not the movie "Day of the triffids", that was very different) , just replacing the Triffids with Infected?

BWF89
May 12th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Ithe zombies in romero's movies are dead people brought back to life that can be killed only by destroying their brain. in 28 days later, they are ordinary living people, infected by that strange virus "rage". they move pretty fast and die much easier
Did you see the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_of_the_Dead_%282004_film%29

Fast moving zombies.

BWF89
May 12th, 2007, 02:26 PM
BWF89,
You sound like you would really enjoy a review of Xbox 360's zombie game, the name escapes me at the moment, on the latest edition of theescapistmagazine.com. If you haven't read escapist.com yet, when they review a game they usually review like literature explaining the imagery and the underlying message. The reviewer had a fascinating take on what makes us enjoy zombie flicks and what they really mean in context to Western - Consumerism society. Edit: Heres the link to the story: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/96/9
I've heard of that game before, and it sounds really good. But I doubt I'll be getting a next gen system. Do you know any zombie games for PS2 or computer?

Ender Black
May 12th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I've heard of that game before, and it sounds really good. But I doubt I'll be getting a next gen system. Do you know any zombie games for PS2 or computer?

House of the Dead
Typing of the Dead (variant of House of the Dead that uses your typing skills instead of your twitch skills)
Bruce Campbell's game...damn what was that called... takes place after Army of Darkness... bloody hysterical

But that's all I can think of off the top of my head

thomas.hoyland
May 12th, 2007, 05:17 PM
nothing to do with the dead.......

what did people think to Miami Vice (2006)
e.g. camera work
scenery
story
music
etc

regards,
tom

karellen
May 12th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Did you see the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_of_the_Dead_%282004_film%29

Fast moving zombies.

yes, I saw it and I've found it pretty enjoyable. but still it's not "canon", those zombies moved damn fast....it ruines all the charm
:D

Tundro Walker
May 13th, 2007, 02:19 AM
I love "survival horror" genre, especially where the folks are kinda smart, get some weapons and actually defend themselves.

I loved the first one, and while I didn't have any gripes about the 2nd half, I can understand why some would, since it is a different pace.

I saw the 2nd one yesterday (opening night). I loved it too, and, again, can understand why some wouldn't like the 2nd half. But in this one, the 1st half was kinda blaise, while the 2nd half was pretty action packed.

I thought there were a few loopholes for my taste, though. It just seemed odd how easily the turbo zombies could get around in a secure military encampment.

However, I loved how they worked in the "standards" while still making it pretty fresh and exciting. IE: all horror / survival movies have those moments you just know something bad's gonna happen, you just don't know how they're going to do it in this particular film. They did a good job of executing it.

On a side note, Will Smith is going to be in some movie called "I am Legend" (?), which sounds like an almost identical rip-off of "28 Days/Weeks Later". He creates some virus, which he's immune to, which turns people into raging monsters.

Apparently Big Industry Hollywood can't think of it's own ideas so much, that it not only scrounges ideas from books, but will blatantly rip-off ideas from other movies already made. Who am I kidding, it's not like that hasn't happened before. But, most stories have already been told...I guess the interesting part is just how the story-teller re-hashes it these days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, best line in "28 Weeks Later"...

Everything's gonna be all right! I'm just gonna go see what's going on. I'll be right back.

For horror movie fans, the irony of that statement is comedic gold! I had to suppress my laughter during the flick when the guy said that. LOL!