PDA

View Full Version : Games For Ubuntu

robcarr2
May 11th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Anyone know any good games similar to Duke Nukem or Doom for Ubuntu?

SZF2001
May 11th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is pretty fun and people still play it. There are Linux scripts for installation.

America's Army has a Linux version, too - but it's not up to date, due to lack of Linux supporters. Or something like that.

Extreme Coder
May 11th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Uh... Doom itself?
There is also Enemy Territory, American Army,Nexuiz, Warsow, Urban Wars, and probably a lot others.

Extreme Coder

Gargamella
May 11th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I suggest TCE, a mod of enemy territory both free...it is similar to Counter Strike and I like it very much ;D

DoctorMO
May 11th, 2007, 06:51 PM
You could also try savage although it has a strat element to it. you've also got your quake 3 based games.

AndyCooll
May 11th, 2007, 07:13 PM
You could try the Gaming & Leisure (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=93) section of these forums. I'm sure the guys using that section will have some good ideas for you to try.

:cool:

KIAaze
May 11th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Freedoom (http://freedoom.sourceforge.net/)

bonzodog
May 11th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I suggest you go to the main Ubuntu Gaming site at:

http://gaming.gwos.org

Basically, ALL ID software titles run on Linux natively, including Doom 3, and Quake 4.

I am currently hooked on a game that started out as a quake 3 mod, and is a standalone, called World of Padman (http://www.worldofpadman.com/). Very cool.

adamklempner
May 11th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I play the America's Army game fairly regularly. It is out dated and will not be updated any more: the army stopped paying the guy that was doing the ports for them and he did the last two in his spare time for free... But as such there is a fairly good Mac and Linux following at the 2.5 version.

I like it better this way because being out dated actually acts as a pretty good filter to get rid of the Windows players. When the game was being updated for Mac/Linux, I used to look forward to the time when the windows guys would get an update because theirs would always come 1-2 months before ours. During this time, all of the windows kids would leave and the incidents of hacking/cheating essentially disappeared. This Mac/Linux gaming community is a lot more fun to play with for me because of that and because the quality of the people is generally better, i.e. more mature, respectful, cooperative, etc. This is very important in because AA is a team based game. Oh yeah, and its free (as in beer) and really easy to install on Linux.

Just my .02

Compucore
May 12th, 2007, 12:53 AM
OPen arena is another nice one which is similar to like quake III. :D

honeydew
May 12th, 2007, 01:31 AM
I use Nexuiz.. Im a addict it rocks my socks, graphics are good... game is high paced.. and there is a good amount of open servers.. this is really open goodness, if anyone wants to get pwned in the face send me a pm :twisted:

first you have to make sure your gl is running.. but.. after that type this in your terminal..

sudo apt-get install nexuiz nexuiz-data

juxtaposed
May 12th, 2007, 03:02 AM
I've been playing Wolfenstein:ET recently, though it is much slower on linux then windows. Also Open Arena is good, though the online servers don't seem to have any people, only bots. Also, Tremulous. It's original, though I don't know how to play it much (except go around and kill the other team).

honeydew
May 12th, 2007, 07:03 AM
ey.. if you want to create a time to get on.. Im there.. I agree.. most the time its playing bots.. lets organize a time to get on and play.. find a server that is good for all of us..

kripkenstein
May 12th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet: Sauerbraten! Awesome game, and the online community is very friendly. Lots of fellow Linux/Ubuntu people to shoot with/at ;)

Nexuiz, as mentioned, is also good. I'd say Sauerbraten and Nexuiz are worth checking out.