PDA

View Full Version : how to change window border width??

fuzz500
May 10th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Hello All,
I've got a nice dual monitor setup running feisty at 3200 px wide, and I find the borders on metacity windows are very very tiny and hard to grab if I want to do a window resize... I've been searching everywhere to find out how to increase the window border width. This must be a very well kept secret!!

Any suggestions? How do you specify your window border width??

regards,
Fuzz

cmcginty
November 6th, 2009, 04:51 AM
https://bugs.launchpad.net/metacity/+bug/160311/comments/11

It is relatively painless to change the dimensions of the surrounding border for themes. That said, you may end up with a gaudy looking heavy window, but I assume that you don't care about that.

To change border widths, simply open up the theme's Metacity XML file. For example, Human's theme is located in /usr/share/themes/Human/metacity-1/metacity-theme-1.xml

The stanza in question should be apparent:
<distance name="left_width" value="5"/>
<distance name="right_width" value="5"/>
<distance name="bottom_height" value="5"/>

Try mucking with the values until you get something you are happy with. Unfortuanately, resolution dependency still plagues much of Gnome.

Sef
November 6th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Moved to ABT.

StefQube
August 19th, 2010, 08:22 PM
A much easier way: ( for Absolute Beginner Talk ! )

In Gnome:
System / Preferences / Appearance / Theme / Customize / Window Border

That was originally posted by ozar here:
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubuntu-help/151537-how-change-very-wide-window-borders.html

I got up to 6 pixel border width from :
System / Preferences / Appearance / Theme / Customize / Window Border <==> Atlanta

Before "Atlanta" I had "Radiance" which was only 1 pixel wide. This is a six fold improvement for my big screen.
And then, I piked the controls, then the colors ... looks so much better!
System / Preferences / Appearance / Theme / Customize / controls <==> "Dust Sand"
System / Preferences / Appearance / Theme / Customize / colors (...click on one)

Well, if you need, say, 12 pixels width, you may still be stuck with a file to edit as per the link above from : cmcginty, or maybe you can download a package or a theme...?

choikwa
October 18th, 2010, 07:29 AM
You can just go to system>Preference>appearance>windowborder>get themes online and download one that suits ur taste.

cmcginty
October 19th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Changing the theme is a little drastic, I don't like the other window border themes.

Q: How do I make my car drive better?
A: Sell it and buy a BWM.

eddybeerke
September 25th, 2012, 11:23 AM
https://bugs.launchpad.net/metacity/+bug/160311/comments/11
Its value was "1" (I think they are pixels) I set it to "3":
<distance name="left_width" value="3"/>
<distance name="right_width" value="3"/>
<distance name="bottom_height" value="3"/>

nothingspecial
September 25th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Old thread.