PDA

View Full Version : what to do with programming knowledge...

n0dl
May 9th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Hello fellow ubuntu programmers,
At the risk of sounding like an uncreative dolt, im lacking projects aside the stuff i get assigned from school, Beside games and reworking my older school projects what else can I do with this knowledge? Any suggestions?

raja
May 9th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Lucky you !
I find myself always dabbling in a couple of projects. I think you have to just find your itch so that you can scratch it. Isnt there something that you miss in some software ?
A ripe area in Unix is to make GUI frontends for some applications that already have a robust backend. While those who have been using linux for some time dont miss the gui much,newcomers definitely find them helpful. Thus, for example, someone recently wrote a frontend for Truecrypt (whose linux port was command line only). If you find encfs interesting as an alternative encryption method, you can try writing a frontend for it.

jfinkels
May 9th, 2007, 09:51 PM
If you are truly intrepid, take a look at ideas for Google's Summer of Code (even though you can't do it this year, you can work on something and apply for next year :D ) http://code.google.com/soc

nix4me
May 9th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Make a wicked front end for the lftp command line client. That would be awesome....wish i could code good enough to do it.

nix4me

engla
May 10th, 2007, 12:38 AM
I have these needs, someone could fill them... :)

+ Free-form RSS reader that is more fun..
Some kind of "alternative representation" of articles
Think about circular "pie" arrangements, or trees/graphs
Visualize outbound links as shaded nodes?

+ Icon manager!
Manager for custom icons in Gnome and nautilus

+Contacts manager with semantic web perspective
Keep contacts as FOAF files.
Update against a URL, cache locally
Import/export abilities

+ PDF-Lab. Split, concatenate, transform pdf files in gnome
With the help of tools like pdfjam, pdfnup, pdfjoin

n0dl
May 10th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Hmm.. These projects actually sound like fun. Im not all too great at programming but they sound like something that may occupy my time. Maybe i might changed the name of this thread of "The needs of ubuntu-ers" where any ubuntu people can come around with there needs and I (or anyone else) can program a solution! :)

pmasiar
May 10th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Beside games and reworking my older school projects what else can I do with this knowledge? Any suggestions?

Join any open-source project of your interest. All of them are looking for developers, and have simple bugs to be fixed set aside for beginners like you. Any project you are interested in.

JT673
May 10th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Welcome to JT673's Clinic for Itchy Programmers!

Step 1) Look at your computer. What do you think needs improvement?
Step 2) Flesh out your idea.
(Optional) Step 3) See if some other people have the same idea.
(Optional) Step 4) Get together to start a Sourceforge Project!
Step 5) Develop it.
Step 6) Unleash it!

I haven't really tried that with a commercial-grade project, but I got a small rot13 "fpevcg" in today. Maybe I should develop a "sebagraq" for it...

ssam
May 10th, 2007, 09:50 AM
fix bugs.

whats you favourite linux application? if its not in your chosen programming language whats you next favourite.

find their bug tracker, and irc room.

find out if they keep a list of easy to fix bugs. if not find one that looks easy.

then see if you can fix it.

most projects would be happy to help you, if you have questions about how their code works.

most projects wont give you write access to their source code versioning system, so you will have to ask what the best way to give them a patch is. if they accept the patch then you might will get you name in the projects changelog or credits

===
another idea

find a bounty
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bounties

there are probably more bounty lists around if you look for them

Max_Might
May 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM
For example I am writing RSS reader in python in my free time, thats the way I am going to learn python :)
It will be GTK based and will make use of PyGTK and will use SQLITE as database. I am doing it in my free time and I am in the beginning .. but what do you think about the idea?

Vert
May 10th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Write a patch for gnome enabling the choice of programs to associate with things like multimedia keys. For example, in keyboard shortcuts I can assign my multimedia keys... but am only assigning them to Rhythmbox or the user could change the terminal hotkey to use Konsole or xterm.. Personally I like Amarok better and would love to use Gnome + Amarok.

I've been thinking of doing that, but I'm mostly a Java programmer and don't know too much about how accomplish such a task (especially in C or C++).

pmasiar
May 10th, 2007, 05:14 PM
how to join Ubuntu project: http://www.understated.co.uk/blog/2007/mentoring-in-launchpad/

launchpad connects people interested in doing something usefull, with mentors, helping them succeed.

Now the hardest part: decide in which project you want to participate... :-)

n0dl
May 10th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks for all your replies. Up until now I thought you had to be professional programmer, have a resume, and have a great amount of experience in programming to be part of a dev team, or to help debug something. I look foward to honing my skills in programming :)