PDA

View Full Version : Testers wanted: seamonkey installation script

nanotube
May 9th, 2007, 06:32 AM
**EDIT:Read further down in the thread for the newest testing version. If you want the "stable" release, get the latest from our homepage (http://pykeylogger.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Ubuntuzilla).

as a celebration of finishing my last final exam (woo!), i have taken the time and created the seamonkey install script. it is based on our previous framework, rather than one posted by sumashod above, though i have borrowed the idea of creating an applications menu icon. :)

as our prior scripts, it has a number of fancy features, including
* automatically detects the latest version,
* downloads
* installs in /opt,
* verifies md5sum (no gpg signatures for seamonkey, so we do the next best thing),
* links to firefox plugins (if user requests)
* creates the apps menu icon.
* has option to uninstall

it is missing one feature, which is localization choice, since seamonkey does not have official localized builds, only a few contributed builds... so at this point i have decided to try for en-US only, which is the official build.

command to run the script is equivalent to our tb and ff scripts,

bash /path/to/script/installseamonkey.sh -install
and

bash /path/to/script/installseamonkey.sh -remove
please test, and post any bugs/corrections/suggestions.

script attached.

aysiu
May 10th, 2007, 02:26 AM
It didn't quite work. I asked it to link to the repositories' Firefox plugins, and it appeared to try to link to the /opt Firefox plugins (which doesn't exist right now):
If you have the repositories version of Firefox installed, you can choose to link all the Firefox plugins to your Seamonkey install. Would you like to do that? [y/n]? y

Backing up old Seamonkey preferences

Changing to home directory

Downloading Seamonkey archive from the Mozilla site

--18:23:22-- ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/1.1.1/seamonkey-1.1.1.en-US.linux-i686.tar.gz
=> `seamonkey-1.1.1.en-US.linux-i686.tar.gz'
Resolving ftp.mozilla.org... 63.245.208.138
Connecting to ftp.mozilla.org|63.245.208.138|:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done. ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD /pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/1.1.1 ... done.
==> PASV ... done. ==> RETR seamonkey-1.1.1.en-US.linux-i686.tar.gz ... done.
Length: 14,762,685 (14M) (unauthoritative)

100%[================================================== ================================================== ==========================>] 14,762,685 144.42K/s ETA 00:00

18:25:00 (148.88 KB/s) - `seamonkey-1.1.1.en-US.linux-i686.tar.gz' saved [14762685]

Downloading Seamonkey MD5 sums from the Mozilla site

Verifying Seamonkey MD5 sum

./seamonkey-1.1.1.en-US.linux-i686.tar.gz: OK

Extracting the downloaded Seamonkey archive

Removing installation file(s) to free up disk space

Linking plugins

mv: cannot stat `/opt/firefox/plugins': No such file or directory
Previous command did not complete successfully. Exiting.

nanotube
May 10th, 2007, 03:08 AM
whoops, that was an accidental holdover from the firefox script (which i used as the base).
here's the updated version, attached.
thanks for the testing :)

aysiu
May 10th, 2007, 03:23 AM
It works perfectly now. By the way, it seems to just go for English. Is the locale thing not possible with Seamonkey?

nanotube
May 10th, 2007, 05:41 AM
It works perfectly now. By the way, it seems to just go for English. Is the locale thing not possible with Seamonkey?

cool! just to make sure, did the menu item show up?

as to locales; see this sentence in the first post in this thread:

it is missing one feature, which is localization choice, since seamonkey does not have official localized builds, only a few contributed builds... so at this point i have decided to try for en-US only, which is the official build.
so, while it's /possible/, i'm not sure if it's worth it?
they have 6 contributed builds in tar.gz/tar.bz2 format, but all of these plus some others are available as installable language packs (ie, once you have seamonkey, can install a language pack on top) (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/releases/#l10n)

so, i figure, it would be better to just install the en-US version, and point people to the language pack list if they want another language, since that gives more choices?

aysiu
May 10th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the explanation about locales.

The menu entry didn't show up, but I'm using IceWM, so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it (I do have menu-xdg installed, though--maybe I needed to restart IceWM for it to be acknowledged?). I'll test that later.

aysiu
May 10th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Well, even after a restart in IceWM, it isn't in the menus, but the menu entry is definitely present:
username@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ cd /usr/share/applications/
username@ubuntu:/usr/share/applications$ ls
avidemux.desktop gnome-cups-manager.desktop hplip-kubuntu.desktop orca.desktop Thunar.desktop
baobab.desktop gnome-dictionary.desktop hp-sendfax.desktop python2.4.desktop Thunar-folder-handler.desktop
cddb-slave.desktop gnome-keyring-manager.desktop hwdb.desktop python2.5.desktop time.desktop
defaults.list gnome-nettool.desktop java1.4.desktop reclevel.desktop users.desktop
evince.desktop gnome-power-preferences.desktop javaws1.4.desktop redhat-manage-print-jobs.desktop vlc.desktop
exo-preferred-applications.desktop gnome-screenshot.desktop kde redhat-system-config-printer.desktop vumeter.desktop
file-roller.desktop gnome-search-tool.desktop language-selector.desktop rhythmbox.desktop wine-notepad.desktop
firefox.desktop gnome-sound-recorder.desktop leafpad.desktop scim-setup.desktop wine-regedit.desktop
galeon.desktop gnome-system-log.desktop mimeinfo.cache screensavers wine-uninstaller.desktop
gcalctool.desktop gnome-volume-control.desktop mozilla-thunderbird.desktop seamonkey.desktop wine-winecfg.desktop
gdmflexiserver.desktop gnome-volume-properties.desktop mozilla-thunderbird-pm.desktop services.desktop wine-winefile.desktop
gdmflexiserver-xnest.desktop goobox.desktop mplayer.desktop shares.desktop wine-winehelp.desktop
gdmphotosetup.desktop gpilotd-control-applet.desktop network.desktop sun-java5-java.desktop wine-winemine.desktop
gdmsetup.desktop gqview.desktop ooo-base.desktop sun-java5-javaws.desktop xfce-xfprint-settings.desktop
gimp-2.2.desktop gstreamer-properties.desktop ooo-calc.desktop synaptic.desktop xfprint.desktop
gksu.desktop gucharmap.desktop ooo-draw.desktop synaptic-kde.desktop xfprint-manager.desktop
gnome-btdownload.desktop hal-device-manager.desktop ooo-impress.desktop tagtool.desktop xsane.desktop
gnome-cd.desktop hp-fab.desktop ooo-math.desktop template.desktop
gnome-cups-icon.desktop hplip.desktop ooo-writer.desktop Thunar-bulk-rename.desktop
username@ubuntu:/usr/share/applications$ cat seamonkey.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Seamonkey
GenericName=Browser
Comment=Internet-Browser
Exec=seamonkey
Icon=/opt/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default/seamonkey.png
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Network;
username@ubuntu:/usr/share/applications$

nanotube
May 10th, 2007, 05:57 AM
hmm, that must be an icewm thing, because i just tested it here on gnome, and the menu showed up in the internet submenu, along with all the other browsers, automagically.

aysiu
May 10th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Well, it's there in /usr/share/applications, so I think it's good.

nanotube
May 10th, 2007, 06:41 AM
well, i added a section about seamonkey install to the ubuntuzilla website, and uploaded the script. :)

also, i have moved the script downloads off to the main sf.net fileservers. this has the benefit of
(1) letting sf.net spread the bandwidth between its mirrors (though the effect for the small scripts is minimal)
(2) giving us download statistics for the scripts. (already, in the last half an hour, the firefox script's been downloaded 8 times!)

so, that's the news. :)
thanks again for testing!

igster
May 10th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Works for me on Feisty. I tried install and remove options and it worked perfectly. Great job!

nanotube
May 10th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Works for me on Feisty. I tried install and remove options and it worked perfectly. Great job!

thanks for your feedback! :)

sumashod
May 11th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Hi.
I found a small bug:

wget -c --tries=20 --read-timeout=60 --waitretry=10 -q -O - ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/1.1.1/MD5SUMS |grep 'linux-i686.tar.gz' > seamonkey-$VERSION.en-US.linux-i686.tar.gz.md5

correct is
/releases/$VERSION/MD5SUMS

Andy

nanotube
May 11th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Hi.
I found a small bug:

wget -c --tries=20 --read-timeout=60 --waitretry=10 -q -O - ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/1.1.1/MD5SUMS |grep 'linux-i686.tar.gz' > seamonkey-$VERSION.en-US.linux-i686.tar.gz.md5

correct is
/releases/$VERSION/MD5SUMS

Andy

hey wow, you're right, thanks for catching that! that would've been a major pain once they released a new version, and md5sums started consistently failing. :) heh heh...
thanks for taking the time to read the code! i will fix and push out the new version shortly.

if you have any other comments/suggestions, please feel free to post them :)

sumashod
May 11th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I have finished myself with my SeaMonkey instal-script. In my Script I have integrated one more update function. One can begin this with me with seamonkey-update in shell or console. If you also have interest in this function, then you could use certainly a few things from my Script. Unfortunately, I am able to only badly in English and help myself in an on-line translator, but for the code you need no German to speak.

Greeting Andy

SeaMonkey Installer (http://sumashod.su.funpic.de/scripts/seamonkey-installer-de.tar.bz2)

nanotube
May 13th, 2007, 06:17 AM
thanks for posting your updated script.
the update option is a good idea, seeing as how seamonkey does not have a built-in updater like firefox and thunderbird do.
i have updated my script to include an update option, though i used, again, a different basic method to provide that functionality. ;) (i didn't go for generating a separate script)

see the new versions up for testing at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=441909

please test, look, read the code, comment :)

garrencornelius
June 3rd, 2007, 08:30 PM
I ran the script just now, and everything worked wonderfully. The icon showed up in K Menu under Internet, as I'm using Kubuntu 7.04. Thank you very much for the script. I was having trouble compiling everything a few weeks ago, and just decided to see if anyone had posted an easier solution.

nanotube
June 3rd, 2007, 08:54 PM
I ran the script just now, and everything worked wonderfully. The icon showed up in K Menu under Internet, as I'm using Kubuntu 7.04. Thank you very much for the script. I was having trouble compiling everything a few weeks ago, and just decided to see if anyone had posted an easier solution.

thanks for your feedback! :)