PDA

View Full Version : Pointer, weird error!!

Adntu
May 8th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Hi
I am learning c++ pointers, I tried the following fragment:

int p1*;
*p1=1;
int p22=4;
cout<<p22;

and it gives:

Segmentaiton fault (core dumped)

but when I added new int:

int p1*;
int y;
*p1=1;
int p22=4;
cout<<p22;

it works fine!!! is there anything I did not get about pointers causes this behavior???

hod139
May 9th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Hi
I am learning c++ pointers, I tried the following fragment:

int p1*;
*p1=1;
int p22=4;
cout<<p22;and it gives:

This code shouldn't even compile. The first line should be changed to:

int *p1;

Adntu
May 9th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I am sorry, I wrote it incorrect here, but in my file it is:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
main ()
{
int *pa;
float *ps;
char *pd;

*pa=1;
*ps=2;
*pd=3;
cout << *pa<<*ps<<*pd;
return 0;
}

as I said I am just trying it out.
so what might be the cause???
thanks

Wybiral
May 9th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Pointers are generally used to point to addresses, you're using them to store values... If that's all you need, just use a normal variable,

Adntu
May 9th, 2007, 06:18 PM
no, this is not a functional code, just I am trying to use the pointers, would you please tell me what is wrong with my code? I just wrote it similar to some website and to one book I have????

seamless
May 9th, 2007, 06:38 PM
This is your problem:

int *pa;
*pa=1;
You create a pointer to a memory address then write to it. However, you have never allocated memory at that address to store the value.

You need to do something like:

int *pa = new int;
*pa=1;
delete pa;
Be sure to use a corresponding delete with every new otherwise the memory will not be freed and you will have created a nice memory leak in your program.

siiib
May 9th, 2007, 06:40 PM
try this

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main ()
{

// initialise values
int a = 3;
float s = 3.14;
char d = 'c';

// create pointers
int *pa;
float *ps;
char *pd;

//give pointers addresses of values
pa=&a;
ps=&s;
pd=&d;

cout << "actual value of pa: " << *pa << endl;
cout << "actual value of ps: " << *ps << endl;
cout << "actual value of pd: " << *pd << endl;

cout << "address value of pa: " << pa << endl;
cout << "address value of ps: " << ps << endl;
cout << "address value of pd: " << pd << endl;

return 0;

}

make any sense?? note pedants: i've left the new and delete stuff out to make it a bit clearer.. see previous post.. this would be considered poor practice in real life but for teaching purposes makes a point

seamless
May 9th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I'm going to briefly explain what siiib has done a bit.

int a = 3; // this will create an int on the stack and allocate memory for it.
int *pa; // this will create a pointer of type int.
pa=&a; // this will set pa to point to the memory address of a.

Now any manipulation of *pa will change a because pa points to the address of a. So:
*pa=14; // now a == 14.

A pointer simply points to a memory address. You need allocated memory at that address to manipulate the value. You can either do this by creating an object on the stack like in siiib's example or you can create it on the heap using new. If the object is created on the stack the memory will be freed once the object is out of scope. For example if you have it in a function call x() then once the program leaves x() then the memory will be freed. If you create it on the heap using new then it will remain until you explicitly free it using delete.

Simply put a pointer poitns to something you either have to set it to point to something already created or create something for it to point to.

siiib
May 9th, 2007, 07:16 PM
heh thanks for the explanation.. i was eating my dinner at the time..

i think what has you confused is that you are trying to 'allocate' a value using the dereference operator.. the dereference operator * is special in that it gives you the value at an address not the address.. by logical extension and thinking ahead (like i think you have) you'd think that it would work the other way wouldn't you?? but it doesn't really work like that.. *pa ==4; is not something that you'd normally see..thats just how it is i'm afraid.

hth

jamescox84
May 9th, 2007, 08:43 PM
They're what we call dangling pointers, they point to some unknown location. Pointers point to a memory address, that's what they store, the address. If you just declare a pointer without initializing it with a default value, it points to a unknown area in memory. When you try to dereference it and assign it a value like this
*p = 10; chances are your writing to memory you don't have permission to write to, hence the Segmentation Fault. If you want to give it something to point to other than another variable, then you can allocate a new data with new like this, but don't forget to release the allocated memory with delete before the program end's or you will have a memory leak.

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
int *p = new int; // Allocates memory for a new int

*p = 42; // Now we can access that memory

std::cout << *p << std::endl;

delete p; // Never, ever forget to free memory!!!

return 0;
}

Hope that helped explain things, pointers are very useful for somethings but it's recommended that where ever possible you should use references.

siiib
May 10th, 2007, 05:45 PM
int *p = new int; // Allocates memory for a new int

<groan> only if you're using the heap.. whats a heap??.. anyone?

p.s.thx you just won me a coffee:popcorn:

jamescox84
May 10th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Sorry, I realize most of what I wrote had already been explained, so sorry about that.

The heap is a large area of memory that applications can allocate parts of, when needed.

Adntu
May 10th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Oooh! a lot of explanation and examples as well, thank you very much guys, it is clear enough for me now, but still I have two questions:
-what is the proper way to manage memory when dealing with pointers? I mean should I use the "new/delete" approach or the stack one?
-in case there is a "memory leak" does this mean memory will not freed until the program ends, or will not for ever?
again thanks a lot, I appreciate your help! better than some books!!!

amo-ej1
May 10th, 2007, 09:21 PM
when you have memory leak the memory will not be freed until your program terminates. But a large memory leak will have your system go out of memory and end up unwanted results (typically you application will be killed by the kernel, but it's also possible that other applications get killed in order to free the memory). This is something you don't want to see on e.g. a webserver

Edit:

this can be easily tested, create an application which looks like:

int main(){ while(1){ int * a = new int(); }

Concerning your stack approach, the stack approach is the safest, however it can't be applied. If you have an application which reads a number and then reads that amount of integers. You could allocated the first number on the stack but after this you would need to allocate the space for the next values to read. So in the most typical case you won't know at compile time how much data there is to process (e.g. reading from a network or from a file or user input)

seamless
May 11th, 2007, 04:28 AM
-what is the proper way to manage memory when dealing with pointers?
When dealing with pointers only worry about memory management when you use new yourself. Only memory that is allocated with new needs to be freed with delete.

I mean should I use the "new/delete" approach or the stack one?
You need to use both depending on the situation and your implementation. They are both there and both have their place. A good rule of advice is use the stack when you can.

Some examples of when you have to use the heap with new and delete are:
* Objects on the stack are deleted when their scope ends so if you need an object to be persistent.
* You are using lots of memory, either lots of objects or data. The stack has a size limit usually much smaller than the heap. This is defendant on the system and I believe the compiler as well.
* Any case where you don't know the exact amount of memory you are going to use. For instance using a linked list to store a variable list of data.

siiib
May 13th, 2007, 08:17 PM
>The heap is a large area of memory that applications can allocate parts of, when needed.
heh sorry i was being ironic..:) what i was trying to say is can we not get ahead of ourselves confusing the cr8p out of someone when they just need a simple stack based example to get them started for now..thx for all contributions.. good thread.:popcorn:

thelinuxguy
May 13th, 2007, 09:34 PM
They're what we call dangling pointers

Adntu: It is very obvious but Wikipedia has a good article on dangling pointers in case you are interested. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangling_pointer