PDA

View Full Version : runtime classes in Java

Bobtheknight
May 8th, 2007, 04:47 PM
My Betters,

When I try to compile/run a java program I found on the web, I found that I have a bunch of classes that I must download and include in my CLASSPATH before I can run the TestClient.class. This would be a problem because after I'm done compiling, I don't want my users to have to download jar files and set classpath, they won't know how.

What should I do?

Bob

samjh
May 8th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Simply distribute your program with the necessary class files, and write a shell script to execute your program with the necessary classpaths specified.

If you don't want to do that, you can pack your program into a jar file, and then archive that jar file with a directory that contains the dependent class files. For example, you could have YourProgram.tar.gz which will contain RunMe.jar and a subdirectory /lib with the needed classes. In your RunMe.jar file, you can specify the classpath in the the manifest. This way, the user can just unpack the tar.gz archive to a directory of their own choosing and run your RunMe.jar without having to tinker with classpaths themselves. For more info on jar files, see here: http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/deployment/jar/