PDA

View Full Version : Macro or script program for mouse and keyboard

grzecisz
May 7th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Hello. I'm looking for simple (or advanced :P ) program that will be able to create macro and simulate mouse click/movement and also keystrokes. I'm running Ubuntu Edgy and Gnome. Thanks for any info.

LaRoza
May 7th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I am not exactly sure what you want, but if you want to automate multi-step tasks, you could write a shell script to do it.

grzecisz
May 7th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I am not exactly sure what you want, but if you want to automate multi-step tasks, you could write a shell script to do it.

sure, but can shell script emulate mouse clicks or keystrokes in other program?

LaRoza
May 7th, 2007, 01:54 PM
As I said, I do not exactly what you wanted, I am not familiar enough with Bash scripts so I am using a batch script to demonstrate:

This

@echo off
defrag c: -w -v > c:\users\laroza\desktop\defragResults.txt

Would make defragmenting c: fully and outputting the statistics to a text file an my desktop a click away.

To do this any other way, you would indeed have to click the mouse and type.

However, if you wanted to do some thing without command line arguments, you would have to use something else. Like opening Firefox, going to yahoo!, logging in, and entering my inbox couldn't be done with Batch. (You can get a Firefox add-on called Deja-click though.)

grzecisz
May 7th, 2007, 02:04 PM
However, if you wanted to do some thing without command line arguments, you would have to use something else. Like opening Firefox, going to yahoo!, logging in, and entering my inbox couldn't be done with Batch. (You can get a Firefox add-on called Deja-click though.)

Yes, this is what i want :) I want this macro program to be able to CLICK with my mouse pointer on specific coordinates, for example icon on a desktop or a button on some webpage. I think its impossible in Shell script.

This Firefox add-on would be great, but it is working only for FF and i want something that would work also 'outside' Firefox.

thanx though :]

Darkness3477
May 8th, 2007, 06:57 AM
I tried doing something similar to this in Python. I was trying to make a macro for an online Java game just for a bit of fun as some of my friends are really into doing things like this. I looked around, but couldn't find anything incredibly helpful.

However, I know you can quite easily do this in Java. I'm not sure what you would need to search for, so I can't help you too much though. However, if you'd like I can ask a friend on how he managed to get everything working for you.

cwaldbieser
May 9th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Yes, this is what i want :) I want this macro program to be able to CLICK with my mouse pointer on specific coordinates, for example icon on a desktop or a button on some webpage. I think its impossible in Shell script.

This Firefox add-on would be great, but it is working only for FF and i want something that would work also 'outside' Firefox.

thanx though :]

http://www.gnu.org/software/xnee/www/index.html
It looks like xnee is in the repositories, though I have never used it.

grzecisz
May 10th, 2007, 11:24 AM
http://www.gnu.org/software/xnee/www/index.html
It looks like xnee is in the repositories, though I have never used it.

Hey, that looks like the one i'm lookin for :) Haven't tried it out yet, but description is promising.

Thank You very much, and all of You guys for replies.