PDA

View Full Version : Log out of forum

electroglas
June 22nd, 2005, 05:43 AM
I wanted to allow my wife to post to the forum but the log out feature does not seem to work with Firefox.

Does anyone know why?

panickedthumb
June 22nd, 2005, 06:01 AM
what is it doing? Or rather, not doing? It's working fine for me here, always has. Does it just sit there? Does it refresh the page at all?

electroglas
June 22nd, 2005, 06:07 AM
I hit "Log Out" and it pops up a java script box saying "all cookies cleared".

When I close Firefox and return, I am still logged in.

panickedthumb
June 22nd, 2005, 06:11 AM
hmm... after the box saying "all cookies cleared" comes up, are you logged in? Or is it just that it automatically logs you back in after you restart? Either way, try clearing out your cache-- well, everything if you don't have anything important. Saved Passwords, History, Cache, cookies, etc. There's something there keeping it, and I have a feeling it's on your end and not the server end. I've been wrong plenty of times though ;)

electroglas
June 22nd, 2005, 06:17 AM
I cleared the cache, logged out, closed Firefox, opened Firefox and I am still logged in.

electroglas
June 22nd, 2005, 06:20 AM
I think it may be the cookies staying in place since I see them in the preferences.

Screw it, she will have to do it on her laptop.

panickedthumb
June 22nd, 2005, 06:22 AM
did you also clear the cookies? At some point, for some reason, you may have lost privileges to the cookie files. I don't know why, but it's possible. Try removing them manually from the cookies dialog in the prefs and see if it will let you.

Regardless, I'll report this one to see if we can do something about it if it's on our end.

bored2k
June 22nd, 2005, 06:27 AM
I think it may be the cookies staying in place since I see them in the preferences.

Screw it, she will have to do it on her laptop.
Install epiphany-browser. She can use that in the mean time.

electroglas
June 22nd, 2005, 06:28 AM
Clearing the Ubuntu cookies took care of it.

I reinstalled Hoary yesterday (trying FC4) and just copied in my backed up .mozilla directory as my normal user name.

I installed Java using the handy script file from the forums that adds several apps/features.

panickedthumb
June 22nd, 2005, 06:32 AM
that may be it actually. There's a unique id based on the time the user was created, and just because the names match doesn't mean that the users match. You might have flubbed the permissions somewhere along the way.

electroglas
June 22nd, 2005, 06:39 AM
I guess if Firefox had better import tools I wouldn't have this problem?

If I try "Import", the only thing I can import is bookmarks.

panickedthumb
June 22nd, 2005, 06:41 AM
yeah I know, it's a bit of a beast to do some things.

electroglas
June 22nd, 2005, 06:51 AM
I switched from WinXP to Ubuntu about 6 months ago and everything pretty much works/has enough features out of the box except import/export features (Evolution export and Mozilla) , my HP Officejet (scanning portion) and my Samsung PDA/phone.

I guess I will keep waiting for the community/corporate improvements and figure out how to run my semiconductor equipment service business with what I have.

BTW - Since I don't program or know enough to write good documentation, I donate to several projects.

bored2k
June 22nd, 2005, 12:17 PM
I switched from WinXP to Ubuntu about 6 months ago and everything pretty much works/has enough features out of the box except import/export features (Evolution export and Mozilla) , my HP Officejet (scanning portion) and my Samsung PDA/phone.

I guess I will keep waiting for the community/corporate improvements and figure out how to run my semiconductor equipment service business with what I have.

BTW - Since I don't program or know enough to write good documentation, I donate to several projects.
Do not deviate a thread. Create your own if you don't find similar.

trash
June 22nd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Wierd coincidence or what, Opera just started rejecting my password to this forum yesterday! Works fine with firefox though.

tread
June 22nd, 2005, 12:39 PM
Actually, I experienced the not logged out "feature" :) too .. I click logout and all cookies are supposedly cleared. This is partially true .. I lose information about new posts and stuff like that, but I remain logged in. I will try clearing all of firefox ' cookies and see if it works, but clicking logout didn't work for me.

jensyt
June 22nd, 2005, 01:23 PM
Do not deviate a thread. Create your own if you don't find similar.

Unless I'm mistaken, he's furthering the thread that he created. Apologies for being rude, but that comment was in no way necessary nor furthering this thread any more than mine is.

And if you were to consider his comment off topic, then why not the others that are similarly off topic? For instance, panickedthumb's post.

On topic...

I've not had a problem with Firefox before, but I haven't quite tested this "feature" extensively. Sorry for being of no real assistance.

daller
January 4th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Wow - An old thread!

Well, I'm having login problems with the forums!

I get logged out now and then... and have to re-login...

...sometimes several times a minute...