PDA

View Full Version : Auto make c++ in gedit

lognok
May 5th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Hi there,
I have enabled the 'external tools' plugin in gedit, because I wish to use external commands to auto make/build (don't know the difference...) a c++ file (helloworld.cpp). This is the command I give:

g++ $GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_PATH -o $GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME

The problem is that my helloworld.cpp file is overwritten and changes to an executable file.

Question:
How do I get gedit to do: g++ <filemane>.<extension> -o <filename> ?

Thank for any help.

wtruong
May 5th, 2007, 10:30 AM
its g++ -o outfile infile

lognok
May 5th, 2007, 10:45 AM
'g++ -o outfile infile' and 'g++ infile -o outfile' produces the same result, which is outfile.

Problem is I can't get outfile without an extension, it always gives me ex. helloworld.cpp instead of helloworld.

WW
May 5th, 2007, 04:07 PM
From this web page (http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/ToolLauncherPlugin), it appears that the plugin does not provide an environment variable for the 'root' of the file name (i.e. the file name without an extension).

Here is a quick hack that you can use for your g++ command:

g++ $GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME -o `echo $GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME | sed "s/\(.*\)\.cpp$/\1/"`

It assumes that the extension is '.cpp'.

lognok
May 5th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Dude, that is just sweet :)

It works great, thank you.

hod139
May 5th, 2007, 09:58 PM
For a bash only hack, you can do

echo g++ $GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME -o ${GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME%.*}

WW
May 6th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Cool. That's much nicer than my ugly hack.

lognok
May 6th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks goes out to WW and hod139.

I can now compile and run my c++ code with accelerators in gedit with these commands in the 'external tools' plugin:

Compile:
g++ $GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME -o ${GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME%.*}

Run:
./${GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME%.*}

I think gedit + 'external tools' is a nice combination for my learning c++ coding. IDE's may come in handy when I begin to write larger projects, but for now this nice and simple.

Long live UbuntuForums!!!!!!!
:guitar:

JuhaPoy
October 8th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Run:
./${GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME%.*}

Run in terminal screen:

gnome-terminal -x ./${GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_NAME%.*} --working-directory=$GEDIT_CURRENT_DOCUMENT_DIR &

Did anyone know how to add 'breakpoint'.