PDA

View Full Version : Shared lib error

HughJass
May 3rd, 2007, 05:31 PM
Trying to install Firefox on Feisty (AMD 64) using the script. I downloaded and installed the 32bit libraries recommended.

I get this error message when trying to start Fx

sandy@sandy-desktop:~$ firefox
/opt/firefox/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
sandy@sandy-desktop:~$

nanotube
May 3rd, 2007, 06:25 PM
hi
it appears that you are missing libgtk. so just run the following command to install it from the repositories:

sudo aptitude install libgtk2.0-0
that should fix the problem for you.

it is surprising you don't already have it installed, i thought it came by default with ubuntu. are you by any chance running kubuntu?

HughJass
May 3rd, 2007, 07:57 PM
Did that but the error message is identical to that posted above when I try to launch Firefox.
Maybe I should use the remove script to get back tto what I had?

nanotube
May 3rd, 2007, 08:46 PM
hi,
yea, you certainly can do the 'remove' and go back to the repos version... but first, maybe let's try to figure this out. i, for one, am curious as to what's going on. :)

could you please run

locate libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
and post the output?

we will get to the bottom of this - if you are willing to investigate, at least. :)

HughJass
May 3rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
Well I am willing too.
All programs are now taking 10-15 secs to open and KPPP won't work at all.
I am working with an old computer to connect with here.

Here is the output...

sandy@sandy-desktop:~$ locate libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1000.11
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
sandy@sandy-desktop:~$

nanotube
May 3rd, 2007, 09:04 PM
hmm, well, try this:

sudo aptitude reinstall ia32-libs-gtk

(courtesy of http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-90106.html)

HughJass
May 3rd, 2007, 11:45 PM
It was'nt installed.

It is now and Firefox does load.

I am still having problems but will wait and try and get a better handle on them for you before I re-post.

Thanks,
Sandy

nanotube
May 4th, 2007, 12:32 AM
It was'nt installed.

It is now and Firefox does load.

I am still having problems but will wait and try and get a better handle on them for you before I re-post.

Thanks,
Sandy

ah, cool. i will add this package to the faq on our site, then.

sure, feel free to post with any other problems, i'll be glad to try to help. :)

EDIT: oh, it already was on the site in instructions for 64bit users (http://pykeylogger.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Ubuntuzilla#.5BThunderbird.2C_Firefox.5D_What_you_ need_to_run_Firefox_and_Thunderbird_on_64-bit_system). :)

HughJass
May 4th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Yes, but I did install all the recommended files except the ncurses one which it said it couldn't find.

It was after this that the rest of the system went haywire. It is pretty well unusable I'm afraid.

My uneducated guess is that lots of files are in the wrong place.

After rebooting this morning I found that none of the programs would load properly not just Firefox.

I will try uninstalling these lib32 files and see if I get the system back.

nanotube
May 4th, 2007, 03:34 PM
hmm, well please report back.
all those packages are in the official repositories, so they /shouldn't/ cause problems, but i guess everything is possible. :)