PDA

View Full Version : Ollydbg and Wine

Redscare
May 1st, 2007, 10:14 PM
I am an amateur cracker, and I honestly hate windows, but that's where all the crackable applications are. For that, I need one simple tool to work: ollydbg (found at ollydbg.net). I have looked at the Wine site, and it says that olly works under fedora linux (and wine), but it apparently doesn't under ubuntu (and wine). I don't want to have to make the switch, so if anyone has any advice as to how to do this, please help.

matthew
May 1st, 2007, 10:49 PM
Cracking, aka the art of breaking into other people's computer systems, usually for nefarious purposes, is illegal, unethical, and generally frowned upon in these forums.

Hacking, the art of making hardware or software do things it wasn't originally designed to do, is highly valued and praised around here. It is also legal.

Since you are asking about cracking, I'm going to close the thread.

matthew
May 4th, 2007, 01:30 PM
After exchanging private messages with the original poster, I'm going to reopen this thread. A debugger isn't necessarily illegal, but I'm finding it difficult to see any really good reason for the OP's request to reopen the thread. I'll give the benefit of the doubt, though.

If there is one hint of illegal activity being suggested or described, the thread will be closed permanently and severe infractions will be issued.

Redscare
May 4th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Thank you for understanding

Redscare
July 7th, 2007, 03:34 PM
The solution or alternative would be to disassemble in IDA and to debug the app under wine-gdb, but currently ollydbg also runs, with limited stability, under wine.