PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu & StumbleUpon

lepz
April 30th, 2007, 03:17 PM
When I first installed StumbleUpon two of my interests that I ticked were obviously computers and Linux. But I'm wondering, why out of the hundreds of Linux distro's out there and the hundreds of thousands of websites 99% of the time when I stumble, that distro will be Ubuntu?

If it's suppose to be random then the stats dont add up, ok Ubuntu may be the most popular but still seems strange to me.

Just a thought ;)

macogw
April 30th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I've gotten ubuntu.com twice so far on stumbleupon after having it for like 3 days. And yeah, it was the first one for me too when I ticked "linux"

karellen
April 30th, 2007, 05:32 PM
well that says enough about how popular ubuntu is ;)

crimesaucer
April 30th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I've ran across some interesting Linux pages that aren't ubuntu.

What you should do is: goto your Stumbleupon tool bar and select your drop down menu, then select the ALL drop down menu, and then select the Computers section and then click on the Linux/Unix selection. Then when you Stumble, the only choices are Linux/Unix and you will get a more diverse selection of pages.

There are also groups to join that have pages linked and discussions.

lepz
April 30th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I've ran across some interesting Linux pages that aren't ubuntu.

What you should do is: goto your Stumbleupon tool bar and select your drop down menu, then select the ALL drop down menu, and then select the Computers section and then click on the Linux/Unix selection. Then when you Stumble, the only choices are Linux/Unix and you will get a more diverse selection of pages.

There are also groups to join that have pages linked and discussions.

Thank you for that, yes you do get a more diverse selection. But I can see why some peeps from other distro's may feel upset, imagine if your a novice to Linux and you ticked computers and Linux and just stumbled and the distro that kept coming up time and time again was Ubuntu?

It dont bother me because I use Ubuntu but if my main OS was Gentoo then I would be annoyed. :)

crimesaucer
May 1st, 2007, 01:37 AM
I also see people react negatively towards ubuntu related articles on digg.com because of similar views that the internet tends to showcase ubuntu instead of other distros.

But it is one of the most popular Operating Systems behind Windows and Apple, so it makes sense.

FuturePilot
May 1st, 2007, 01:39 AM
I too have gotten ubuntu.com once:)

crimesaucer
May 1st, 2007, 03:06 AM
Well, what's lame is when people "thumb up" and share a page that isn't anything worth sharing. What's cool is when it's to a good "HowTo", or guide that might be difficult to find, or even some new app.

When I first tried xubuntu/ubuntu last October, I was lucky to find this page on Stumbleupon and it taught me some good terminal codes and made me not so scared to jump in there and start learning terminal.

I found this on Stumbleupon: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=73885