PDA

View Full Version : Current Microsoft employee "making the switch" to ubuntu

jiminycricket
April 30th, 2007, 07:38 AM
...allegedly, anyways. I saw this on Digg (http://digg.com/linux_unix/Microsoft_employee_blogs_about_switching_from_Wind ows_to_Ubuntu_at_home)and it's pretty interesting to follow and subscribe to. Here's the first post:

http://makingtheswitch.wordpress.com/2007/04/28/when-did-i-become-such-a-tool/

“When did I stop being creative?”

The words stumbled out of my mouth leaving behind an aftertaste of shame and contempt. It wasn’t that long ago that I still wrote and drew and played music for fun. It wasn’t that long ago that I always had a pet project going on. Helping on an open source project or helping a non-profit get setup on repurposed systems. But sometime in the recent past, and I really couldn’t put my finger on when, that stopped.

Today I’m starting a pet project. The first of what I hope is many to come.

Moving my family computer from Windows XP to some form of Linux. A symbolic gesture more than anything - but one that will force me to do those things I so sorely miss.

http://makingtheswitch.wordpress.com/

blackened
April 30th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Apparently Michael Dell also uses Ubuntu. Link Here. (http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/biographies/en/msd_computers?c=us&l=en&s=corp)

kragen
April 30th, 2007, 11:57 AM
huh? So what?

Sorry, it just strikes me as a bit worrying that Microsoft employees aren't allowed to admit that installed Ubuntu without everyone in the open source community making a big deal of it. It's like a McDonalds employee admitting he bought a burger king - not a huge deal. Stop clutching at straws, it definitely doesn't mean that Microsoft employees have lost faith in their products.

In fact, I notice that on the blog now he's been forced to make a post in response to all the comments made by linux zealots on digg. Frankly I find that shocking - not particularly surprising, but still pretty shocking.

The one thing about open-source software that I'm starting to get really sick of is everyones little hate-war against Microsoft.

DoctorMO
April 30th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I'm starting to get really sick of is everyones little hate-war against Microsoft

It seems like everyone had their reasons, I don't hate Microsoft I just find them deeply troublesome and immoral; a result of the modern world in which we reward greed and selfish behaviour and not altruism, generosity or cooperation.

I don't care if their employees use Ubuntu, the only true sign that the employees have seen sense is when they resign with prejudice as a complaint against Microsofts practices. since most of them happily got employed knowing what was going on I find this unlikely.

jiminycricket
April 30th, 2007, 12:59 PM
huh? So what?

Because I think it's interesting. I like reading reviews of Linux, and this was a particularly interesting one for this place that I thought people might want to keep up on, perhaps subscribe to, and help, just like any product that you would use and see how others like it. And I didn't see any zealous comments I saw on his blog, there were helpful hints and the normal questions a blogger gets when they post things (eg., use gparted, ntfs-3g, etc) . I don't think anyone else mentioned hating Microsoft. I didn't see any zealous comments in this thread either...

lakersforce
April 30th, 2007, 01:08 PM
I don't care if their employees use Ubuntu, the only true sign that the employees have seen sense is when they resign with prejudice as a complaint against Microsofts practices. since most of them happily got employed knowing what was going on I find this unlikely.

I disagree. Know thine enemy! :lolflag:

maniacmusician
April 30th, 2007, 01:38 PM
first off, it's only fair to point out that he made a big deal of it first by starting a blog about it. The sub-heading for his blog is "One Microsoft Employee Documents His Switch from Windows to Linux." He's the one that made Microsoft the main topic of his first post. He regretted this later and tried to amend for it in that last posting, but it's clear that he meant to use Microsoft as originally portrayed in the first post.

He wanted this attention. He may not have expected the degree to which it happened, but he got it. Sure, there are always some Linux zealots that will hit him harder than others, but don't say that they made it a big deal; He did.

Eddie Wilson
April 30th, 2007, 01:44 PM
As far as hate-wars, as it was called, I hate anybody that tries to tell me what I can have on my computer or what I can't have. Also I don't have to prove to anybody that what is mine really is mine. Microsoft has no right spying into my personal life and they will if you use their software. They charge you high prices for incomplete software and that amounts to rape of the computer users of the world. You may not agree but thats the way I feel.

Lord Illidan
April 30th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Personally, digg's quality always struck me as particularly low...in terms of the users, not the site in particular. The members are always eager to jump on anyone...I find slashdot better.

I sympathize with this guy. He did nothing wrong in setting up a blog.

maniacmusician
April 30th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Personally, digg's quality always struck me as particularly low...in terms of the users, not the site in particular. The members are always eager to jump on anyone...I find slashdot better.

I sympathize with this guy. He did nothing wrong in setting up a blog.
I agree that he did nothing wrong. I think it'll be an interesting read, I've subscribed to the RSS feed for the blog. I look forward to reading it.

I was just contesting kragen's claim that it was the open source community who turned this into a big deal. When he dedicated an entire blog to switching to Linux, and proudly pointed out that he was a Microsoft employee, he was practically begging for attention. It was obvious that he would get somewhat of a backlash. Also, he posted his own story on Digg, so he was looking to attract viewers to his blog....he had to have known that he wouldn't get an entirely positive response.

But I agree, he did nothing wrong in making a blog or any of that. I'm glad he did, it's another interesting thing for me to read during the week.

koshatnik
April 30th, 2007, 02:17 PM
huh? So what?

Sorry, it just strikes me as a bit worrying that Microsoft employees aren't allowed to admit that installed Ubuntu without everyone in the open source community making a big deal of it. It's like a McDonalds employee admitting he bought a burger king - not a huge deal. Stop clutching at straws, it definitely doesn't mean that Microsoft employees have lost faith in their products.

In fact, I notice that on the blog now he's been forced to make a post in response to all the comments made by linux zealots on digg. Frankly I find that shocking - not particularly surprising, but still pretty shocking.

The one thing about open-source software that I'm starting to get really sick of is everyones little hate-war against Microsoft.

I kinda agree with this to an extent. I often wonder why linux users are so obssessed with what Apple or MS do. Means nothing to me, I don't use their crappy products anymore. Hell, I don't even care what other linux distro's are upto. Why does it matter?

Steve H
April 30th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I admire his attempt in the first blog post to be a "free man" but he obviously got scared because his second post can be summed up as "I didn't mean anything bad, please don't fire me, pleeeeeease!".

It is very telling of M$ that it's employees feel soooo scared about speaking out that they have to go and put a pseudo-retraction in order to deflect any heat from the company (and probably continue to get paid).