PDA

View Full Version : the newb has questions

n3k0ch4n
April 28th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Hey guys, I want to start off by saying that I have virtually NO programming experience, so if I say something wrong, please feel free to correct me *as long as you dont eat my soul* Ok, Ive had some good experiences with Wine and Crossover in running a number of Windows apps that just dont have Linux versions. As far as I understand, it is an implementation of non-windows code to run Windows binaries natively through Linux and the X window system, so on and so forth...However, recently another question has come to mind, is there any projects out there attempting to do the same thing for the Macintosh OS? Might there be an equivalent of Wine for running Mac apps in Linux? The only thing Ive come up with so far is SheepShaver and Basilisk, neither of which I have had much success, and both of them are emulators so they eat up precious memory and slow down other apps running in Linux already. As a long time Mac user I would normally consider running Mac apps on anything but Apple to be blasphemous, but since my last Apple PPC died and with Mac being so expensive I need a way to run some of my old apps, mostly made for OS9. Any suggestions would be appreciated =3

qamelian
April 28th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Hey guys, I want to start off by saying that I have virtually NO programming experience, so if I say something wrong, please feel free to correct me *as long as you dont eat my soul* Ok, Ive had some good experiences with Wine and Crossover in running a number of Windows apps that just dont have Linux versions. As far as I understand, it is an implementation of non-windows code to run Windows binaries natively through Linux and the X window system, so on and so forth...However, recently another question has come to mind, is there any projects out there attempting to do the same thing for the Macintosh OS? Might there be an equivalent of Wine for running Mac apps in Linux? The only thing Ive come up with so far is SheepShaver and Basilisk, neither of which I have had much success, and both of them are emulators so they eat up precious memory and slow down other apps running in Linux already. As a long time Mac user I would normally consider running Mac apps on anything but Apple to be blasphemous, but since my last Apple PPC died and with Mac being so expensive I need a way to run some of my old apps, mostly made for OS9. Any suggestions would be appreciated =3

There's PearPC, a PPC emulator.