PDA

View Full Version : A small firefox extension...

freakavoid
April 27th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Hi all,

Since i couldn't find another way to do the job I wrote a small extension for firefox to suit my need to quickly open a terminal in a downloaded file's location. I thought there has to be something like Open Containing Folder menu item for CLI people. I'm not sure if anybody else needs such a thing but sharing it with the community seemed not a bad idea anyway. The attached tarball contains the xpi file. Currently it's gnome only but it can easily be extended if there is any demand for it.

update: copies file's path to the clipboard now.

chakkaradeep
April 27th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Hi all,

Since i couldn't find another way to do the job I wrote a small extension for firefox to suit my need to quickly open a terminal in a downloaded file's location. I thought there has to be something like Open Containing Folder menu item for CLI people. I'm not sure if anybody else needs such a thing but sharing it with the community seemed not a bad idea anyway. The attached tarball contains the xpi file. Currently it's gnome only but it can easily be extended if there is any demand for it.

Any screenshots and tips on how to install :)

Thanks

freakavoid
April 27th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Any screenshots and tips on how to install :)

Thanks

Here you go.
To install it: extract the xpi from the tarball and drag+drop it to the firefox window.

chakkaradeep
April 27th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Here you go.
To install it: extract the xpi from the tarball and drag+drop it to the firefox window.

Hey, this is really nice :)

Good work !

earobinson
April 27th, 2007, 05:22 PM
neat!

freakavoid
April 27th, 2007, 05:24 PM
glad you liked it :)

Malta paul
April 27th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Thank you, great.:)

Iarwain ben-adar
April 27th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Hi there,
would love to get it available for KDE (how can i edit the xpi file?)

Iarwain

freakavoid
April 27th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Hi there,
would love to get it available for KDE (how can i edit the xpi file?)

Iarwain

Never used KDE so if you tell me the equivalent of the command line "/usr/bin/gnome-terminal --working-directory" i can fix it for you. If you want to do it your self: extract the xpi file (it's basically a zip file) and the oth.jar archive in the content folder. There is just one code file named overlay.xul find the two strings for the command "gnome-terminal" and for the option "--working-directory" and change them to their KDE equivalents. I don't know if one can detect the current desktop-manager within firefox but I'll give it a shot tonight and try to do it automatically.

Iarwain ben-adar
April 27th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Hi,
thanks for the info :D

Problem is i can't extract it..

The KDE eq. is konsole

/user/bin/konsole --workdir pwd

This should work

Iarwain

freakavoid
April 27th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Hi,
thanks for the info :D

Problem is i can't extract it..

The KDE eq. is konsole

This should work

Iarwain

Here is the KDE version. I couldn't test it so some feedback would be nice.

Iarwain ben-adar
April 27th, 2007, 07:36 PM
It works :D

Thanks ;)

Iarwain

freakavoid
May 8th, 2007, 10:06 PM
update: copies path to the clipboard now. files attached to the original post.