PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Segmentation Fault (Core Dumped) in Thunderbird

expatCM
April 26th, 2007, 04:01 AM
I cannot deny ... the script runs. However.... I have a tiny problem ... and since I do not know enough about Ubuntu it is hard for me to know where to look to fix .... This is a new install and Thunderbird has not yet been running on this machine.

After running the script Thunderbird appears installed but it does not run. If I select Applications / Internet / Thunderbird then I see the tab with Starting Thunderbird but that disappears after a few seconds.

If I open a command prompt and enter the command thunderbird I get the message "Segmentation fault (core dumped)"

nanotube
April 26th, 2007, 04:29 AM
I cannot deny ... the script runs. However.... I have a tiny problem ... and since I do not know enough about Ubuntu it is hard for me to know where to look to fix .... This is a new install and Thunderbird has not yet been running on this machine.

After running the script Thunderbird appears installed but it does not run. If I select Applications / Internet / Thunderbird then I see the tab with Starting Thunderbird but that disappears after a few seconds.

If I open a command prompt and enter the command thunderbird I get the message "Segmentation fault (core dumped)"

that is a hard one to track down... could be a bad download. did you get gpg to verify the integrity of the downloaded archive?

aysiu
April 26th, 2007, 04:40 AM
If I open a command prompt and enter the command thunderbird I get the message "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" I have no idea what's wrong.

I did a Google search and found out you're not alone (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=542409&sid=176a4f21e74b860e0cf84270dc9ef046), but, unfortunately, I don't see a solution.

Do you get the same thing with
mozilla-thunderbird as you get with
thunderbird?

By the way, I've moved this to its own thread, since I'm pretty sure it's not directly related to the script having run successfully or not. Still, if we can troubleshoot this post-install problem... all the better.

expatCM
April 26th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Yes I got the same thing with the command thunderbird and mozilla-thunderbird.

No I did not check the gpg ... I was running the install script and just stood back. I have another very similar machine which I have just finished loading Ubuntu. I will run the script on that machine and see what happens just as soon as I have posted this message...

nanotube
April 26th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Yes I got the same thing with the command thunderbird and mozilla-thunderbird.

No I did not check the gpg ... I was running the install script and just stood back. I have another very similar machine which I have just finished loading Ubuntu. I will run the script on that machine and see what happens just as soon as I have posted this message...

ehrm, the script has built in gpg key checking. it just asks you whether you want to do it or not. so the question is, did you say "y" or "n" in response. :) if you aren't sure, just run the script again, and this time tell it "y" when it asks for gpg key verification.

expatCM
April 26th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I have run the script again. I did check Y when prompted to check the signature. The message at the end of the script says that Thunderbird has been successfuly installed.

I select on the menu entry, the program tab appears and then disappears ... the program does not open.

I have now run the script on a second machine and everything else follows though but in this case Thunderbird will open on the Import Settings screen ...

Now it is time to tread into the unknown ....... I have asked myself what is different between the two machines. All I can think of is scim and this may be relevant since it will automatically load every time a program is launched which supports an IME. The machine with the successful install did not have scim configured at the time of install. On the machine with the problem, it is already working. So I am wondering if scim is stopping Thunderbird from installing ....

Do you happen to have any idea how I can stop scim from loading for a session so that I can test and see if I can run the install script without it being present?

nanotube
April 26th, 2007, 07:20 PM
well, i've never done anything with scim, but if it's like most other things, it will have a daemon running in the background, so you can just kill the scim process?

if not, then you'd probably get more specific help in the general help forums, since this is a rather low-traffic area.

expatCM
April 27th, 2007, 02:53 AM
I tried to kill all instances of scim. There are five processes and four are easy to kill. The core is a zombie and I have no idea how to remove it.

I think there is a very strong correlation between the problem with the Thunderbird installation script and scim though since I just ran the script again having first killed the four scim processes. The script ran but ... Thunderbird would not load. What was very interesting is that scim had appeared in the system tray so the zombie process must have somehow been activated .....

I will open a fresh thread to see if there are any suggestions of how to stop scim. The official scim website is not close enough to the mark here ...

nanotube
April 27th, 2007, 03:46 AM
hmm, ok, well, please post back here if you figure this out...

expatCM
April 27th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Yes, worked it out.

I removed scim using synaptic. Then ran the install script. Zero problems. I am now trying to work out how to put back scim the way it was ... but that is another issue ....

So the conclusion is that if scim is installed then the Thunderbird install script does not work completely.

nanotube
April 28th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Yes, worked it out.

I removed scim using synaptic. Then ran the install script. Zero problems. I am now trying to work out how to put back scim the way it was ... but that is another issue ....

So the conclusion is that if scim is installed then the Thunderbird install script does not work completely.

ok, thanks for playing around with this, and reporting your results. i will post this scim problem into our help section for others' reference.

seetho
April 28th, 2007, 08:58 AM
I installed tb2 on a fresh dapper system manually. It was worked fine initially. It is beautiful!

Unfortunately it broke (segmentation fault) after I activated SCIM which I need for typing some Japanese. Initially it did not occur to me that SCIM was the one that broke tb2, but after reading the posts here, it is the most likely suspect.

nanotube
April 29th, 2007, 02:43 AM
hi
here is a possible fix (found at http://alvonsius.wordpress.com/2007/01/23/scim-and-sunbird/)

in a terminal, to start thunderbird, try using this command line:

export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge; thunderbird

see if that works out for you, and please post back here with results.

drdreus
April 29th, 2007, 04:42 AM
I had the same problem with Mozilla Sunbird. It wasn't until someone here mentioned SCIM that I realised that had changed on mine too.

I've had problems with SCIM and programs before... apparently they don't play nice together.

Anyway, I found this mentioned in http://www.ubuntuguide.org (http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_dapper#How_to_install_PDF_Reader_.28Adobe_R eader.29_with_Plug-in_for_Mozilla_Firefox) regarding Adobe. They suggested

gksudo gedit /usr/bin/acroread
And changing:

#!/bin/sh
#
to:

#!/bin/sh
#
GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
I'm not entirely sure what it's doing other than circumventing SCIM. But after doing that I was able to start Sunbird.

If SCIM causes problems Adobe, Thunderbird and Sunbird (and who knows what else) this should probably be fixed in the future.

nanotube
April 29th, 2007, 04:52 AM
I had the same problem with Mozilla Sunbird. It wasn't until someone here mentioned SCIM that I realised that had changed on mine too.

I've had problems with SCIM and programs before... apparently they don't play nice together.

Anyway, I found this mentioned in http://www.ubuntuguide.org (http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_dapper#How_to_install_PDF_Reader_.28Adobe_R eader.29_with_Plug-in_for_Mozilla_Firefox) regarding Adobe. They suggested

gksudo gedit /usr/bin/acroread
And changing:

#!/bin/sh
#
to:

#!/bin/sh
#
GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
I'm not entirely sure what it's doing other than circumventing SCIM. But after doing that I was able to start Sunbird.

If SCIM causes problems Adobe, Thunderbird and Sunbird (and who knows what else) this should probably be fixed in the future.

thanks for the info. :)

first question: so did you try doing this for thunderbird, and did it work?
second question: instead of editing the script, does using either of the following two commands to start thunderbird work:

export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim; thunderbird

drdreus
April 29th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Oddly enough, my Thunderbird worked fine without any tinkering. I installed it using Automatix2, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

However, typing
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge; sunbird
export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim; sunbird both allowed me to open the unaltered sunbird.

Is there a benefit to exporting settings vs manually editing files?

nanotube
April 29th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Oddly enough, my Thunderbird worked fine without any tinkering. I installed it using Automatix2, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

However, typing
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge; sunbird
export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim; sunbird both allowed me to open the unaltered sunbird.

cool.

Is there a benefit to exporting settings vs manually editing files?

well, not really. both do exactly the same job. if you are comfortable editing scripts, then you might as well edit. manual export makes for easier testing, and easier to tell users what to try. :)

expatCM
May 11th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Well this is very interesting but I do not know what to do with the export commands for practical use ....

I entered

and

individually at the command prompt and on both occasions Thunderbird launched as soon as I pressed enter. Without use of the export command Thunderbird cannot be used.

So how do I incorporate this to open Thunderbird from an icon ......

drdreus
May 11th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Well this is very interesting but I do not know what to do with the export commands for practical use ....

I entered

and

individually at the command prompt and on both occasions Thunderbird launched as soon as I pressed enter. Without use of the export command Thunderbird cannot be used.

So how do I incorporate this to open Thunderbird from an icon ......

You may have to edit the command that runs the program. To wit:
sudo gedit /usr/bin/thunderbird and change:
#!/bin/sh
# to:
#!/bin/sh
#
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge and then try launching it. See if that helps.

nanotube
May 11th, 2007, 03:41 PM
drdreus gives a good suggestion
but it may get overwritten in the next thunderbird upgrade, so you'd have to edit it again.
i'd suggest writing a small text shellscript with the following content:

!#/bin/bash
save it as "thunderbirdstarter.sh" in your home dir,
change permissions to executable with

chmod u+x /home/yourusername/thunderbirdstarter.sh
and then point your menu item to /home/yourusername/thunderbirdstarter.sh, instead of "thunderbird". that should let you start thunderbird, and won't need any editing when they release a new version and you upgrade.

but... you could use drdreus suggestion just as well, if you prefer. they both do the same thing, basically. :)

drdreus
May 11th, 2007, 05:00 PM
drdreus gives a good suggestion
but it may get overwritten in the next thunderbird upgrade, so you'd have to edit it again.

Oh yeah, good point. I didn't think about future updates.

That being said, it would be nice of Ubuntu could play nicely with SCIM. It appears to be all or nothing with it, i.e., as soon as you enable certain languages requiring complex entry, SCIM is always running. That's not a problem if you use said language all the time. But if you use it infrequently, it's a nuisance. Especially because it conflicts with common aps. But that's for a different thread I suppose.

expatCM
May 11th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Two solutions .... I am so lucky :)

I have just implemented the solution from drdreus on one machine and it is fine. In the morning I will put the other solution from nanotube on the other machine.

It really would be nice to see Ubuntu integrate Scim properly into the system .... I cannot imagine that my headache was not experienced by others. So many users do not use English as a primary language, our use is for simplified and traditional Chinese and Thai in the same system as well as English. It is just fantastic IME.

nanotube
May 11th, 2007, 06:59 PM
just to be clear, though, it is not a problem with ubuntu per se, but with the thunderbird official build - their default build for some reason doesn't play well with scim. i've heard that if you compile from source yourself, it is reputed to work...

Shoubidouw@@@
June 5th, 2007, 02:34 AM
GREATJOB GUYS !!!

I met that problem last nite after I installed SCIM on my laptop!! Couldn't run TB2 anymore!

No more prob!!

Thanks again!

AncientPC
June 5th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Well they've narrowed down the problem but haven't really solved.

I can't get my fiancee to switch to Ubuntu completely because she needs to type in e-mails in Japanese. Then again I could just set up Evolution, but ideally I would prefer Thunderbird because I can synch her local profiles cross-platform between Ubuntu and Windows.

nanotube
June 5th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Well they've narrowed down the problem but haven't really solved.

I can't get my fiancee to switch to Ubuntu completely because she needs to type in e-mails in Japanese. Then again I could just set up Evolution, but ideally I would prefer Thunderbird because I can synch her local profiles cross-platform between Ubuntu and Windows.

does this approach (http://pykeylogger.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Ubuntuzilla#.5BThunderbird.2C_Firefox.5D_Thunderbi rd_doesn.27t_start_at_all._Segmentation_Fault_.28C ore_Dumped.29_when_running_from_terminal) not work for you? what about the one posted by drdreus?

slon
August 2nd, 2007, 01:35 PM
I have the same problem "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" after setup System -> Administration -> Language support -> check some language.

When I uncheck checked languages back and restarted, Thunderbird start without problems!

Ubuntu 7.04, Thunderbird 2.0

wall0159
May 7th, 2009, 10:10 AM
hi
in a terminal, to start thunderbird, try using this command line:

Thank you, nanotube, for this advice. I had been looking for a solution to this. Thunderbird would repeatedly seg fault, only to start up, then seg fault again shortly later. Purging config files, reinstalling and reconfiguring did not appear to help, but it looks like my problems are due to scim also, since it appears to be working when called in this way.

Cheers!

[EDIT]: oops - looks like I spoke too soon. seg faulting again.. I've also tried going into the language manager, as another poster suggested, but to no avail....

opto09
July 2nd, 2009, 03:33 AM
[EDIT]: oops - looks like I spoke too soon. seg faulting again.. I've also tried going into the language manager, as another poster suggested, but to no avail....

I have the same bug but found this in the ubuntu bugs site: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunderbird/+bug/370008

It may be the lightning add-on that's causing it to crash. You can try this out by going into safe mode:

thunderbird -safe-mode

Disable Lightning, then restart thunderbird normally. I just tried it and it works for me.:p

Here's hoping someone will release a fix soon.

wall0159
July 16th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah - thanks for that.

I have been using thunderbird without lightning and google-provider at the times when it is crashing. Rather inconvenient though, as I actually use the calendaring features..

I've been looking for alternatives, but I don't like Evolution (too buggy - seems to randomly drop emails, calendar appts, etc..), and there aren't too many other options..

I hope it's repaired soon too! I've even tried purging my thunderbird installation and deleting every thunderbird config file I could find, and then reinstall - to no avail...

cbender
November 17th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I had the same Problem, I set the Spell-Checking from english to german and Thunderbird didn't start.

with
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge; thunderbird I could start Thunderbird and set the Spell-Checking back to english. Now it starts without any Problems.