PDA

View Full Version : Any midrange/mainframe workers using Ubuntu for it ?

Browser_ice
April 26th, 2007, 01:47 AM
At work, I have changed floors and with this, changed the work I do. I do midrange and mainframe operation monitoring. So we are using a bunch of softwares to mainly connect to midrange and mainframe equipement remotly. Such software is PC Communication, Tivoli (for alerts), Patrol (also for alerts), Remedy and ManageNow for ticket problem managements, and VPN, IE for VPN web access to remote servers, Exceed and others which I do not remember.

We had a discussion today about the PCs geting unstable (meaning some connections don't work anymore) for some odd reasons or following a user deciding to install software he is not even supposed to have (I'm at IBM). So we were debating ways of restricting user access but playing around with XP securities was already tried and eventualy exceptions were encountered on autorized needed sites that were not usable because of those managed securities. Therefore I had an idea, why not use Linux ? But in order to do this, I would have to find a prety stable Linux O/S and all matching softwares.

So regarding all of this, are there people out there doing the same work as me and using the same softwares but on Ubuntu ???

If so, which softwares, any special setups/softwares to add, problems encountered/fixed/unfixed, ... ????

(added comments)
at work, I did an inventory of softwares :

Patrol v3.5.60i (Oper) from BMC Software
Personnal Communications Workstation Program, v5.7, from IBM
OMF-Win6530 v6.2.5 by comForte GmbH
IBM Tivoli Enterprise Console 3.9.0, by IBM

freebeer
April 28th, 2007, 12:25 AM
I don't have an answer for you, but you might have better success posting this in another forum. Maybe you can have one of the moderators move it for you?

houstonbofh
April 28th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I used to work at BMC and my best friend still does. I just got him hooked on Ubuntu, and he is slowly talking to people. The problem you will have is not function, (We are getting a lot to work with WINE, and ies4linux) but support. This will change, and IE7 broke half the BMC apps, and now they have to fix it.

Browser_ice
May 4th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Anyone else using Ubuntu for mainframe activities ?

Browser_ice
July 13th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Lets have a go at it again. Didn`t get enough replies. I'm sure there's more of them out there.