PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates' Three-Dollar Barricade Against Ubuntu

Browser_ice
April 25th, 2007, 08:32 PM
One article I found by accident. Interesting stuffs to read.

Bill Gates' Three-Dollar Barricade Against Ubuntu (http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070424/33196_id.html?.v=1)

See, at the same time Gates was announcing his 99% discount on Windows for schools, Canonical software was launching and offering for free the newest version of the company's extremely-user-friendly version of Linux, Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn to its friends.)

Lord Illidan
April 25th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Frankly, I don't blame Bill Gates and co for putting this into action, but it's no big deal, imho.

In Malta, MS and the government offered us a deal which gave us XP, Visual Studio, and Office 2003 for something like 15 dollars. I accepted it, but I still use Ubuntu...

Mazza558
April 25th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Competition is good for everyone.

Somenoob
April 25th, 2007, 08:44 PM
MS is getting more and more less "closed" first the shared-source model and now this.

karellen
April 25th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Competition is good for everyone.

I second you

jcconnor
April 25th, 2007, 09:01 PM
You notice that he's not offering a $3 bundle of Vista?

I'd like to know why it's ok to fob off XP on folks that "can't afford it" but for folks that are buying a new PC they are forced into - oh never mind, Dell is doing the same thing by going back to XP models of their systems.

zubrug
April 25th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Microsoft is just admitting that the cost of windows has created the piracy problem.

dbqp
April 25th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Microsoft is just admitting that the cost of windows has created the piracy problem.

And the Genuine Advantage false positives - as well as the OS sending information to MS that "may" contain personal data...

predaeus
April 25th, 2007, 09:57 PM

Actually piracy somehow supported MS Windows on it's way to world domination. Just think about it, If "everyone" runs Windows then you need to run Windows too to be compatible. :mad: