PDA

View Full Version : PC for the kitchen.

tehbeermang
April 25th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I watched a show on the food network the other night dealing with "Kitchens of the Future". They showed a test kitchen at IBM's labs.

The one thing that I latched on to was an appliance they called "IceBox" that installed under the counter, it was a television, CD/DVD player and lightweight internet appliance. Basically designed for recipes, stock tickers, and newsfeeds. It also interfaced with other hardware in the kitchen, but I don't want to spend money on such appliances, so I don't want the functionality.

http://www.beyondconnectedhome.com/products/icebox/icebox_choices.html

I'm thinking a MythTV front end connected wirelessly to a back-end could take care of the television/music/movie/internet functionality.

I've found dishwasher-safe input devices. I want compact hardware that can take the repeated abuse of heat and humidity while not taking up too much cabinet space. I brew beer on occasion, boiling 5+ US gallons raises the temp in the kitchen above 90° fahrenheit with 80%+ relative humidity.

Any ideas?

Compucore
April 25th, 2007, 06:25 PM
It does lok nie and cool and all that considering what space there is for an average kitchen these days. It would be interesting to see it use ubuntu insteadt of windows CE.net in there.

Compucore

I watched a show on the food network the other night dealing with "Kitchens of the Future". They showed a test kitchen at IBM's labs.

The one thing that I latched on to was an appliance they called "IceBox" that installed under the counter, it was a television, CD/DVD player and lightweight internet appliance. Basically designed for recipes, stock tickers, and newsfeeds. It also interfaced with other hardware in the kitchen, but I don't want to spend money on such appliances, so I don't want the functionality.

http://www.beyondconnectedhome.com/products/icebox/icebox_choices.html

I'm thinking a MythTV front end connected wirelessly to a back-end could take care of the television/music/movie/internet functionality.

I've found dishwasher-safe input devices. I want compact hardware that can take the repeated abuse of heat and humidity while not taking up too much cabinet space. I brew beer on occasion, boiling 5+ US gallons raises the temp in the kitchen above 90° fahrenheit with 80%+ relative humidity.

Any ideas?

daynah
April 25th, 2007, 06:42 PM
My old boss was a fireman; he used a Toughbook?

What I've always set up for my friends in the kitchen is... old laptops. Most of my "linux converts" haven't really been full converts. They've just had old laptops, and we've set them up as recipe books with linux in the kitchen. Not quite what you're looking for.

I haven't heard of any other heat-resistant computers. It would have to be the case that protects it, because the very nature of the computer is to be delicate to heat.

I would politely suggest you forget the heat idea. Toughbooks are specialized and, though for the first hour very cool, they quickly become a pain in the patootie.

To protect it from the heat (and since you want it compact), I would go with a laptop. Then you could easily move it away from the heat. When you start to brew the beer, are you going to need to be sitting in the kitchen watching it brew and playing on the kitchen computer? If not, that might be a roundabout solution.

MythTV with wireless is quite possible. There's some other version (for the life of me I can't remember the name... it's Linux with two letters) that's MythTV that also controls lights, so if you're going that route, you might as well install that.

I would get the lowest quality of laptop you can possibly get, incase an accident happens like spilt milk. If one of your friends has an old laptop, look up the parts and see if it will work with MythTV, and then negotiate a friend discount. If they don't give you a discount, start counting how many days they've had the laptop sitting there doing nothing for them, and then in like a month or so, remind them, they'll get the point.

I hope that helps! I love watching Foodtv.com on the kitchen laptop.

jcconnor
April 25th, 2007, 06:57 PM
One obvious idea is to ship me a 6 pack the next time you brew a batch.

I would gladly pay postage.

John

tehbeermang
April 25th, 2007, 07:13 PM
LOL, "playing on the computer" and brewing won't go hand in hand, the brew can boil over.

The boilover often waits in the background, waiting until the phone rings or my wife needs help with something before striking.

I want food/beer recipes, music, and a brew log at my fingertips. Might as well throw in some news while I munch down cheerios. ;)

I found a price for the iCEBOX, the countertop model is US$1800 and looks like a CRT iMac and the Millenium Falcon had children.

I'd rather have the CRT iMac. It's not as ugly.