PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite music player?- Super Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Mateo
March 20th, 2007, 04:47 AM
I don't see anything wrong with the default, rhythmbox works perfectly well for me. Does music, podcasts, and radio, that's all I need.

Kindred
March 20th, 2007, 05:11 AM
MPD, works when in and out of X, light & fast. I use Pygmy as a client, Sonata is alright too.

The most popular players are often too feature bloated for me. Do one thing well and all that.

Mateo
March 20th, 2007, 05:23 AM
MPD, works when in and out of X, light & fast. I use Pygmy as a client, Sonata is alright too.

The most popular players are often too feature bloated for me. Do one thing well and all that.

Yeah, but how do you shut down mpd? You have to "killall mpd"? That'd be a pain.

hanzomon4
March 20th, 2007, 05:26 AM
I like amarok, mainly because it has awesome iPod support, but its interface is also easier to use than that of rhythmbox or banshee

:confused:

Amarok has the worst ui I have ever seen, could be that I'm spoiled in Listen, Exaile, and Banshee...
but different strokes for different folks \\:D/

My favorite right now is Banshee.. I love how simple the interface is and the search-bar makes the lack of a tree-like structure for your music library unnoticeable.

eXcentra
March 20th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Personally, I like using foobar2000 via wine, but otherwise, I use Rhythmbox..

Kindred
March 20th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Yeah, but how do you shut down mpd? You have to "killall mpd"? That'd be a pain.

Well, you don't typically. It runs as a daemon and so you use /etc/init.d/mpd stop or whatever. Generally you just interface with the client though and leave the daemon alone.

Mateo
March 20th, 2007, 05:37 AM
so it runs all the time? Even if its low memory usage, I'm not comfortable with that.

ButteBlues
March 20th, 2007, 06:05 AM
You left Banshee off the list.

SishGupta
March 20th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Exaile!

atdi4ever
March 20th, 2007, 08:41 AM
amarok for ipod support only though. rhythmbox for the rest

karellen
March 20th, 2007, 09:24 AM
xmms all the way. I don't have an iPod, I don't need fancy synchronization functions, album info/cover download and stuff like that. just want to play my music and to be fast

Kayne
March 20th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Um... 4 of the 7 options I would actually classify as video players.

I can't get into people who seriously play music with mplayer (and I doubt that the m stands for music)

slimdog360
March 20th, 2007, 09:31 AM
amarok, but when songbird 1.0 is released I think Id prefer that.

haricharan
March 20th, 2007, 10:04 AM
i feel exaile should have been included in the poll too.....i like amarok..but want my desktop free from kde components :D

mcduck
March 20th, 2007, 10:10 AM
so it runs all the time? Even if its low memory usage, I'm not comfortable with that.

When it's not playing it uses less resources than applets in your Gnome Panel ;)

I vote for MPD :) The best music player with fastest library I've ever seen on any platform..

Leeghoofd
March 20th, 2007, 11:00 AM
I voted for amarok. It has some issues, but it just seems to work best for me. xmms is also a good music player.

As for the UI of amarok, i personally feel its fairly good.

I don't see why mplayer, vlc and xine should be in the list.. I like vlc, but only for video.

Spr0k3t
March 20th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Out of all the music players I've used, only Amarok is the closest I can find to the featureset I'm looking for. Now, if I could find a way to incorporate Amarok, Ex Falso, and PhatNoise (windows), then I'd be in business. The only feature lacking in Amarok that PhatNoise has, is the drag and drop to change the ID3 tags.

So let's say you are listening to something like Led Zepplin and the music has the genre of Techno, you can just drag the particular item from the playlist to the new genre and you are done.

The features I love from Ex Falso are just the massive amount of handling of ID3 tags.

urukrama
March 20th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Quod Libet and Exaile. I alternate between the two.

dbbolton
March 20th, 2007, 12:06 PM
amarok, but when songbird 1.0 is released I think Id prefer that.
i think songbird has potential for greatness

Circus-Killer
March 20th, 2007, 12:23 PM
although rhythmbox leaves much to be desired as far as style and looks goes, i still find it the complete solution for gnome. kde has amarok, which is great. however, with rhythmbox, you have cover-art support, good library interface, ipod support, and best of all, the last.fm plugin.

what can i say, those are what i expect from a music player, and i require it for gnome. so yah, my choice is rhythmbox in gnome. it rocks. it keeps my library organised, and is always improving.

Dale61
March 20th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Songbird for me.

Spr0k3t
March 20th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I'd go with songbird as well... it looks like it will pwn with the XUL system... but currently the featureset is not complete or stable enough for me to consider it as a daily.

That said, songbird is fantastic for browsing music sites with.

Chemist
March 20th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Exaile for me

fuscia
March 20th, 2007, 01:43 PM
xmms (beep, really). if i needed my music player to shovel snow, i'd go with exaile.

mcduck
March 20th, 2007, 11:16 PM
xmms (beep, really). if i needed my music player to shovel snow, i'd go with exaile.Does Exile shovel snow for you? I really need to get that for next winter :D

deadlydeathcone
March 20th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Gmpc 0.14 (or a command line mpd client) does it for me, and on Windows probably Foobar2000, as I find full players like Banshee and Amarok a bit too heavy and xmms/vlc et all too sparse. Plus, you have to love a music player that doesn't rely on X11, takes up only a few KBs of memory, has continuous playback, and picks up at the same position that it left off after a reboot. Wunderbar for sure.

The configuration needed to get it running, on the other hand...

smbm
March 20th, 2007, 11:47 PM
mpd + ncmpc does everything I need in a music player.

SavantEdge
March 21st, 2007, 12:26 AM
Um... 4 of the 7 options I would actually classify as video players.

I can't get into people who seriously play music with mplayer (and I doubt that the m stands for music)
Well, I know vlc, mplayer, and totem all play music (totem is default on Ubuntu). Not sure about xine, but I think it does too, so I added them on to give people the option.

Didn't know about some of the others mentioned here (which is one reason I asked this question.

If I could, I would edit the poll to add those that people left off. How would you guys feel if I made a second thread with a repoll to add those missing items?

Does Exile shovel snow for you? I really need to get that for next winter :D
I could use that right now.... ;)

I'm also looking at Songbird, and it is looking pretty nice...any idea on when we're going to a see a reasonably stable version?

Thanks for all your responses so far...I'll be checking some of those you mentioned out.

funkysod
April 10th, 2007, 12:30 PM
amarok is the app that does all those things i expect a "musicplayer" to do. on the downside its quite massive to use under gnome, i mean install kde support just to run amarok? the result is often a lot of crashes but also a great player.. recently i switched to exaile and its just wonderful. missing global hotkeys to be able to use my mobilephone as remote. im sure this feature is under development!

kprowell
April 10th, 2007, 01:25 PM
In XP, I use Napster. In fact, that is the only thing keeping me from completely leaving XP. Before I started with Ubuntu, I had quite the collection going ( I know, I know....I'm trapped in the DRM mud :( ) but with being on a limited budget, I can't afford to buy all the tracks right now.

In Ubuntu, it's a toss up between xmms and amaroK.

urukrama
April 10th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I've started using Gmpc (with mpd of course), and I am quite impressed. I uses very little system resources (practically nothing if you close the app and let mpd play on), and you can easily set keyboard shortcuts for most functions (unlike Sonata, another nice mpd client). The only downside is that playlists are not very easily accessible, unlike Sonata.

Mpd can be a bit annoying to set up, but if you want something that is very light, I strongly recommend it.

Otherwise I've always used Quod Libet (and Exaile). I still like both of them very much, and still use them, but they run a lot heavier than gmpc.

aysiu
April 24th, 2007, 05:00 PM
This thread already exists a couple times (and I'll merge them once I set up the poll), but the poll has expired, and rightly so--people often switch favorite music players. My favorite used to be JuK. Then it was AmaroK. Now it's Rhythmbox.

So here's a new poll for 2007.

For posterity, I've attached an images of two older polls.

By the way, none of the three poll-makers included Songbird, and I haven't seen it show up a lot in this thread. Is that because it's such a low version number (0.2.5-ish)?

diskotek
April 24th, 2007, 05:53 PM
exaile!, it's simple & navigating between files i seasy. it also have very minimal window (ctrl+alt+m).
you can also fetch album/artist info...

karellen
April 24th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I'm starting to love exaile :)

diskotek
April 24th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I'm starting to love exaile :)

we are two now :D

reacocard
April 25th, 2007, 12:44 AM
we are two now :D

+me = three :D

DougieFresh4U
April 25th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Torn between amarok & Exaile. CPU usage is always high with amarok. Exaile lacks an equalizer

aidanr
April 25th, 2007, 01:48 AM
mpd and sonata (http://sonata.berlios.de), i love the state option of mpd so i can shutdown/reboot and when i boot up again it automatically starts playing from where it left off in the song

tbroderick
April 25th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Is that because it's such a low version number (0.2.5-ish)?

Nope, it's a horrible music player. Too bloated and too much of a resource hog.

reacocard
April 25th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Torn between amarok & Exaile. CPU usage is always high with amarok. Exaile lacks an equalizer

Exaile 0.2.9 has an equalizer, but it needs a newer version of gstreamer than Ubuntu has.

rocknrolf77
April 25th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Voted rhythmbox because it's what I use the most these days. It has improved so much in the last year. After the jamendo and magnatune plugins came it's so much better. It's so responsive. When I search a song or artist, it reacts instantly.

But I'm always checking out how all the other players are coming around. cplay is also good. Can't get it anymore minimalistic than that. Have tried (That I can think of now) : rhythmbox, quod libet, sonata, cplay, exaile, listen, banshee, amarok, xmms, bmp, bmpx, songbird, audacious, xfmedia, noatun, eclair, kaboodle, juk and muine. It's just so many out there it's almost impossible to try them all :)

fuscia
April 25th, 2007, 04:15 AM
my current obsession is with mplayer. it's the first media thing i've been obsessed with.

FuturePilot
April 25th, 2007, 04:38 AM
I've always been big on Amarok, but I never fancied loading all that KDE stuff on top of Gnome. So I just installed Exaile to see how it is. I've heard a lot of good things about it and I must say I am impressed. I think I might use this as my new media player. I just wish it had support for MTP devices.

reacocard
April 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I've always been big on Amarok, but I never fancied loading all that KDE stuff on top of Gnome. So I just installed Exaile to see how it is. I've heard a lot of good things about it and I must say I am impressed. I think I might use this as my new media player. I just wish it had support for MTP devices.

That seems to be a common request. Someone needs to write a plugin for it, as I don't think any of the devs have an MTP device to work with.

Mateo
April 25th, 2007, 02:12 PM
My main problem with rhythmbox right now is that any time you play a file, it's added to the database and there's no way to turn this option off. Do any of the other players (Listen, Quod Libet, Exaile, and Banshee mostly) allow you to play files without adding them to the database? thanks.

reacocard
April 25th, 2007, 03:08 PM
My main problem with rhythmbox right now is that any time you play a file, it's added to the database and there's no way to turn this option off. Do any of the other players (Listen, Quod Libet, Exaile, and Banshee mostly) allow you to play files without adding them to the database? thanks.

Exaile does. Everything's done through on-the-fly playlists, which can contain songs from the library, files, and portable devices.

stokedfish
April 25th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Giantdisc.

neoaddict
April 25th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Banshee with the Recommend Artists, Metadata and Audioscrobbler plugins. ^_^

goumples
April 25th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Rhythmbox. No particular reason other than it was pre-installed when first installed Ubuntu. It works good enough for me.

Mateo
April 26th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Guess I'm sticking with Rhythmbox for now.

I liked Listen most out of the ones I tried. It has a similar interface to Rhythmbox but with more customizability. I liked how you could remove unnecessary stuff like Wikipedia and Last.fm from view. I also liked the filesystem browser and that the current playlist is always visible. However, I don't like the way it handles podcasts. It seems to automatically download new shows, and I can't tell what's been downloaded or what's to be queued to be downloaded. Also, nothing every went above 0% in downloading. Also, if you try to remove old shows that you don't want to download, they will just come back the next time you look at the podcast feed. Close but no cigar.

Exaile I liked a lot. I had some similar podcast issues. I also don't love that everything is treated like a playlist and opens in new tabs. Too much clicking for my taste. I also had trouble setting up radio streams and it doesn't tell you what the progress is to connecting to the streams.

Banshee was way to minimalistic. Doesn't even have seperate views? Have to open new windows to do stuff? No thanks.

Quod Libet was a poor man's Listen. I didn't like that you had to go to the Menu to get to different views.

For now I'm sticking with Rhythmbox. Listen was close, but it's podcast support just doesn't appear to be good enough.

diskotek
April 27th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Exaile does. Everything's done through on-the-fly playlists, which can contain songs from the library, files, and portable devices.

that's why i love exaile!.. because i'm chenging file names, categories etc.. and this feature make browsing easier.

tbroderick
April 27th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Right now cmus with the last.fm submit patch. Direction for installing from git are here (http://www.bewatermyfriend.org/posts/2007/04-10.11-08-33-computer.html). I'm also using the included cmus-status-display to show song info in my dwm bar.

cat /tmp/cmus-status | sed -n '$p'

crimesaucer
April 27th, 2007, 01:36 AM
My first day on Exaile 0.2.9 and I'm loving it. I had been using Audacious 1.2.2 and had tried Listen, BMP, and Banshee.

Banshee always crashed...BMP and Audacious were basically cool with skins and were a simple easy way to play my music, Listen was alright, but I like the look and feel of Exaile better. The plug-ins are pretty cool too.

thricedotted
April 29th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Exaile would be perfect for me if it didn't crash every time I attempted to use the last.fm streaming; also, it inexplicably uses more RAM than Amarok, which I find odd since I thought loading all the Qt stuff would make it heavier...aside from it looking anomalous in Xubuntu and feeling a bit cluttered - especially in the menus, urgh - I like it a lot. Maybe when Exaile matures a bit more, I'll get back into that; for the record, it's what I entered in the poll, just because I think it has so much potential.

craigsharp
May 1st, 2007, 01:15 AM
I am wanting to get an overall picture of everybodies favorite music player.
I'm trying to find a music player that acts as close to my beloved iTunes for mac as possible. If there are any other great Music Players i didn't list, please post them so i can take a look at them.

aidanr
May 1st, 2007, 01:19 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=421396
for an itunes like player, try songbird

ThinkBuntu
May 1st, 2007, 02:05 PM
I'm just curious which players are the most popular. I use Banshee, as I find Amarok confusing and Rhythmbox, well, terrible. Anyone had luck with Songbird or another?

DJMatty
May 1st, 2007, 02:29 PM
I've had a play with a few, Amarok I couldn't get working reliably, wasn't keen on Banshee, tried Listen, RhythmBox and BMPx, and finally have settled on Exaile for now...

I tried all these over last weekend and so my tastes may change when I have used it a little more.

Matt

Gina
May 1st, 2007, 03:44 PM
Mostly I find I use MPlayer because that's what pops up when I select files to play. Works fine. I have tried various other apps - no problems (well, not after installing GStreamer and w32codecs). Haven't yet got round to finding which one I like best.

strabes
May 1st, 2007, 04:18 PM
I can't live without amaroK. I love the playlist-based system. It's so much better than that other niche media player called iTunes or something... who uses that anyway...

Freedom, perfect id3 tagging, perfect cover art, perfect ipod syncing, perfect podcasts, everything.

acidphex
May 1st, 2007, 04:26 PM
Songbird still being under development has pretty good features. I like fact you can search for songs and download them straight to your library. The best feature is it's ability to play Videos. Formats that even VLC has issues with Songbird handles it pretty good. It also has good ipod support in it's infancy. I use it for my general music needs. I also use it BMP for single file playing needs.

mcduck
May 1st, 2007, 04:45 PM
MPD. With NCMPC and Sonata as clients.

This far I've found no other player that handles my fairly large music collection as quickly and easily as MPD does.

justin whitaker
May 1st, 2007, 04:47 PM
Rhythmbox is somewhat annoying, that is true. I use Songbird...still Alpha, but quite good.

kefir
May 1st, 2007, 06:53 PM
Mpd with sonata. I've tried most of the players out there Rhythmbox,Amarok,Xmms,Audacious etc but once i discovered sonata/mpd i absolutely fell in love. It's so awesome, i can control my music from everywhere =)

Protoss
May 1st, 2007, 10:09 PM
I am using Exaile! since my upgrade to Feisty. Listen was my player of choice on Edgy, but it hasn't been updated for the new MMKeys on Gnome 2.18, and I love my media keys :P But after being almost forced to use Exaile, I'm liking it, it's got some really handy plugins, mostly the libnotify plugin, along with the desktop cover.
Although I do miss the little Queue sidebar very much, it was very, very handy.

corevette
May 1st, 2007, 10:23 PM
hmm my personal opinions:
amarok - a little bulky, but nice interface
rhythmbox - a little too simple, but pretty stable and does the job
songbird - a lot of potential, my personal favorite, but still buggy

Wayren
May 1st, 2007, 10:50 PM
I've tried a few. I liked the look, feel and feature set of Amarok but it felt a little bloated. Since then I came across Listen and fell in love with it. It's easily my favorite.

cliv
May 1st, 2007, 10:50 PM
I have just started using amarok, which i also find a bit confusing but for now it works very well. Initially I used rhytmbox which also fulfilled my needs (musical needs). But then i encountered some problems with my hotkeys and to make a long story short i switched to xmms and afterwards amarok and now i hope i dont need to change music player again :-)
But to answer your question it seems like amarok is the most popular choice for ubuntu users: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=421396

ronocdh
May 1st, 2007, 10:55 PM
Definitely Amarok for me, although I must say I have had excellent experiences with Songbird. I use Songbird on both Win XP and OS X, and it provides that much needed flavor of total customization. ;)

Thanks for posting the poll, cliv.

cliv
May 1st, 2007, 10:56 PM
Amarok, but that is mostly due to technical difficulties, it is simply the only music player (i have encountered) that worked properly for my setup.

Rashid584
May 1st, 2007, 11:01 PM
I use XMMS. Its uber fast and light. I have 256MB of RAM and it allows me to play things while doing other tasks, as well as starting within 2-3 seconds instead of 5-6 like other players. Also, there are some really nice skins so it doesn't have to look hideous :D (apart from the gtk1 menus :p)

I don't have a really big collection...I normally have like 2 or 3 specific playlists of about 20-30 tracks which I just load up and can play fine and select any tracks I want fine. Only problem is if/when I load all my tracks on, and I want to play a specific one its usually quite hard to fine...if it had a simple search/filter feature it'd be almost perfect for my use :D

Does anyone know of any other uber-light, skinnable/beautiful players with just some basic features like library, searching, ID3 tag editing?

I tried Rhythmbox, its fairly quick, clean and simple...but not as quick and simple as XMMS so I see no reason for using it (and the fact that the library doesn't auto update is kinda annoying). Tried Amarok when I used KDE, it was awesome in terms of features, but seemed overkill for the simple things I wanted to do, and took much longer to load.

-Rashid

Mateo
May 1st, 2007, 11:03 PM
i retried banshee and it's nice and all... I just refuse to use a player that needs a splash screen.

And1945
May 1st, 2007, 11:20 PM
Audacious. Amarok is nice to, but I dont have that much music.

stchman
May 1st, 2007, 11:44 PM
I'm just curious which players are the most popular. I use Banshee, as I find Amarok confusing and Rhythmbox, well, terrible. Anyone had luck with Songbird or another?

VLC.

ratbagradio
May 2nd, 2007, 01:18 AM
Amarok was the easiest to get to work and has better backup forums on their site. It still confuses me though as I cannot yet sync my iRiver T3 with it. With a few more sessions I'll work that one out.

It is confusing to configure but when you do...well it is simply the best. Much better than other's I've used, especially iTunes.

The podcasting aspect is also confusing but when youy tweak that, it makes such darn good sense. No built in OPML support which is a drawback. I'm still to find a podcatcher that works easily on Feisty though since my Icepodder has given up the ghost and while excellent, Penguin TV archives via date rather than program. But its a great aggreagtor.

[Does anyone know how I can rejig Penguin TV so that I can change the Permissions so that I can delete audio files from within Amarok. I've used the Users and Groups option but that won't work. I want to delete by Right Click/ Handle Files/DELETE and I'm blocked whereas my files archives by icepodder are an easy delete, no probs. I'd like to change thea ddress whee I store my downloads too...but Penguion offers no support although its very good in intention if not in fact]

justinjstark
May 2nd, 2007, 04:06 AM
Rhythmbox +1.

I have tried a lot of others including songbird and exaile but rhythmbox does what I want the best.

mudfly
May 2nd, 2007, 04:21 AM
Quod Libet +1

starkruzr
May 2nd, 2007, 04:57 AM
Rhythmbox++. What's so terrible about it? It seems nearly identical to Banshee to me. :confused:

stokedfish
May 4th, 2007, 02:04 PM
;)

rocknrolf77
May 5th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Cplay is really nice if you know what you want to listen to. But most of the time I need a good library, because I have a lot of music. Then rhythmbox is really nice in gnome, because it's so fast. And I love the jamendo plugin :)

tbroderick
May 5th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Cplay is really nice if you know what you want to listen to. But most of the time I need a good library, because I have a lot of music.

If you like cplay. try cmus. Cmus is a console/ncurses music player with a library.

http://onion.dynserv.net/~timo/pics/cmus-1.4.6-tree-view.png

SyL
May 8th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Exaile !!!!

ticopelp
May 8th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I've tried a bunch of them, but I always seem to come back to Rhythmbox thus far.

There are some things I really love about Exaile, but it doesn't feel ready to me yet. Some of the interface quirks started driving me absolutely nuts in under a day. I'll be watching it as it develops further.

Amarok is cool, but crashes on my machine a lot, and only imports about 80% of my library.

So Rhythmbox for me right now, even though I'm not terribly happy with it.

Rashid584
May 8th, 2007, 09:49 PM
For anyone else as gumpy as me reading this thread with my same situation and needs...I discovered the seach feature in XMMS. Now its perfect :D

Hit J and type a name for a track...the list will filter in real time and the top item in the list will be pre-selected so you can just hit enter and it will start to play. Very well thought out. My only wish is that this window could be skinned also...or maybe Gtk1 apps could just have a nicer looking theme? :P

-Rashid

tyler22
May 9th, 2007, 02:45 AM
amarok and song bird.

Limitlesschannels
May 13th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Amarok
Banshee
Rhythmbox
Exaile
Songbird
Other

I like Banshees integrated cd burner and all-around simpler interface. Amarok's nice, but I don't like waiting 5 minutes for my library to load; Banshee just seems lighter.
Rhythmbox is nice, but I despise the inability to move columns around, hehe.

afljafa
May 13th, 2007, 01:52 AM
vlc

Kingsley
May 13th, 2007, 02:03 AM
I love Amarok, though it could categorize my music better. Amarok is one of the reasons I can't use Vista.

reacocard
May 13th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Exaile. Rhythmbox/Banshee/etc. aren't bad, I just prefer Exaile/Amarok's playlist-based music handling, and I use GNOME. Also, writing plugins is incredibly easy, I've created three so far.

BWF89
May 13th, 2007, 03:04 AM
I usually use VLC

dashnak
May 13th, 2007, 03:05 AM
I love exaile. Simple as that. I used to use listen, but it was really buggy. The only problem I have with exaile is the way it manages podcasts. It's the same as every other app, and I hate it. I use gPodder for that.

reyfer
May 13th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Amarok, that's it.

richbiskit
May 13th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Amarock :guitar:

I used to love itunes in windows but after using Amarock there is no way back! :lolflag:

hanzomon4
May 13th, 2007, 03:20 AM
I've been spending time with RB and I really like it. The lastFM plugin works great and it has a nice "I will work not matter what" feel. Exaile is excellent, turning out to be one of the best. Banshee looks nice but it's UI is jerky but other then that it's nice. Listen was the first player I feel in love with and I want it to "win". It looks and feels nice but lately it's been a bit buggy and the other players have caught up to it.

starcraft.man
May 13th, 2007, 03:25 AM
I'm a banshee guy, I listen to lots of podcasts and it has a really easy client set up for those. Not to mention I like the smart playlists and its lean. I would use songbird, but its lacking podcasting and its still needs development in other sections...

heathen
May 13th, 2007, 03:43 AM
mpd + ncmpc

Foxmike
May 13th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Exaile so far, but it could be Rythmbox. Actually, I think I will give rytmbox a try right away.

As for Amarok ,i try to stay away from KDE apps, not that they are bad, but just because I'm on a GNOME desktop and I like everything to fit. Silly, I know, but still, I don't I miss anything. One thing, tho, is that when I will try KDE, I will try the same with KDE apps only, just to discover them. I plan it with KDE4 so fat but there is no rush!:)

Regards,
-FM

antenna
May 13th, 2007, 04:02 AM
MPD and Sonata or Pygmy.

aidanr
May 13th, 2007, 04:17 AM
how many of these threads do you need, please search, there's about a bazillion polls about this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=421396
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=429456
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=428961
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=335189
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=255088
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=84293
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=236524
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=110356

etc etc.. there's tonnes more

slimdog360
May 13th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Audacious cause its cool, but I'll probably move onto songbird when its a bit more mature.

MS-DOS4
May 13th, 2007, 04:46 AM
I like to use a program called Zinf

It's nice and compact, loads quickly and plays almost all media (I got it because it plays .ogg)

It's simple built-in theme is easy on the eye. (You can download and make new themes) Here's a screenshot of a song I got plugged in right now.

Full size:

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6524/z1cq1.png

Mini Mode:

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1065/z2yt0.png

Micro Mode:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1959/z3fl1.png

You can get this bad boy at www.zinf.org

Did I mention they also make an up-to-date version for linux?

samjh
May 13th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Amarok.

I used to use Rhythmbox, but it doesn't work well with my CD drive, with lots of stuttering. No problems with Amarok, which is all the better since I switched to Kubuntu recently.

Kujen
May 13th, 2007, 06:17 AM
I picked Rhythmbox, but I tend to switch between Rhythmbox and Amarok every so often.

Mateo
May 13th, 2007, 06:27 AM
I use Rhythmbox. My only problem with it is that it automatically adds everything to your library. So if you just want to make a playlist with some files you don't want in your library you have to then go in and remove them all. It's a pain.

I've tried the others but they don't all have the features I want. Banshee was close, but needed a splash screen to load. Listen was close but was buggy.

fuscia
May 13th, 2007, 06:32 AM
how many of these threads do you need, please search, there's about a bazillion polls about this

most of us probably already answered those. we want new ones.

mailbox
May 13th, 2007, 08:08 AM
ha, nobody uses songbird. doesn't surprise me, really.

personally, vlc and quod libet.

markupstart
May 13th, 2007, 08:26 AM
mpd+gmpc

deadlydeathcone
May 18th, 2007, 07:56 AM
I've completely flip-flopped from gmpc to rhythmbox. :-({|= It's a bit of a trade off as rhythmbox is basically a collection of rough edges and lacks Gmpc's crack features, but I've given that all up for the ability to track play counts and add ratings, as they make for awesome playlists. Honestly though, after installing the prettier svn
icons as per Bou's thread I think I'm becoming a bit of a fan of the thing.

As for the others Banshee likes to choke and die when searching my collection, Listen is good yet too slow and resource intensive, and Exaile isn't quite there yet.

kragen
May 18th, 2007, 08:10 AM
It's a bit of a trade off as rhythmbox is basically a collection of rough edges and lacks Gmpc's crack features,...

I know what you mean :( I can't decide whether or not I like rhythmbox and it's just missing features, or whether I hate it but it does work.
Either way, at the moment I'm using quod libet, because it has a nifty alarm feature, but for some reason last.fm doesn't work properly, so the rest of the time I use Rhythmbox.

graabein
May 18th, 2007, 10:06 AM
I use Banshee. It's really good but could use improvements:

Artist/album library browsing like Rythmbox
Full FLAC support with tagging
More responsive search
Improve fetching of cover art

I also use xmms.

urukrama
May 18th, 2007, 12:11 PM
I use GMPC. It is very light weight, has all the features I want (customisable system wide keyboard shortcuts!), and doesn't look too bad (version 0.14).

If I just need to try out some music files and don't want to update my mpd database, I use Exaile.

theicyj
May 18th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I love rhythmbox. It is responsive, simple, and has good search capabilities. The only thing I wish it had would be a good crossfader plugin though, like SqrSoft's free crossfader for winamp.

dashman
May 19th, 2007, 12:05 AM
xmms

hanzomon4
May 19th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Exaile so far, but it could be Rythmbox. Actually, I think I will give rytmbox a try right away.

As for Amarok ,i try to stay away from KDE apps, not that they are bad, but just because I'm on a GNOME desktop and I like everything to fit. Silly, I know, but still, I don't I miss anything. One thing, tho, is that when I will try KDE, I will try the same with KDE apps only, just to discover them. I plan it with KDE4 so fat but there is no rush!:)

Regards,
-FM

I did this with Sabayon Linux and whoa!! kde has some great apps; Amarok is a great player and I like kopote and k3b. The options(gentoo+kde!?!?) almost killed me but you get use to it.

mrgnash
May 19th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Songbird. It's the only one that reads and indexes all my music properly.

starcraft.man
May 19th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Songbird. It's the only one that reads and indexes all my music properly.

You know, I tried two subsequent versions of song bird and while I really did like the UI and wanted to really love it, I found it somewhat odd/glitchy. Sometimes it spontaneously crashed for now reason... and I didn't like the way it handled and sorted podcasts.

I feel so alone using banshee... it seems under appreciated in the poll, so simple and clean, just music and podcasts all I need :).

I'll have to try songbird next release though, maybe when gutsy is out :).

screaminj3sus
May 19th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Rhythmbox is the only one on that list that handles my lubrary correctly, amarok puts every greatest hit album by different artists as one album, banshee doesn't add random mp3's, quod libet and exaile won't even load my library (exaile just freezes) I would likie to sue use banshee but it it refuses to add about 30 mp3's to my library. so I guess I am going to vote rhythmbox because it actually works. For some reason players always have trouble reading/indexing my mp3's while some do it perfectly, winamp handles it perfectly on windows, while itunes and songbird read almost none of my tags and refuse to add random mp3's.

mrgnash
May 19th, 2007, 01:44 AM
You know, I tried two subsequent versions of song bird and while I really did like the UI and wanted to really love it, I found it somewhat odd/glitchy. Sometimes it spontaneously crashed for now reason... and I didn't like the way it handled and sorted podcasts.

I feel so alone using banshee... it seems under appreciated in the poll, so simple and clean, just music and podcasts all I need :).

I'll have to try songbird next release though, maybe when gutsy is out :).

I've had a world of trouble with it myself; every other time I tried it on Dapper and Edgy ended in disaster. For whatever reason though, it works fine for me now (knock on wood), so I'll keep using it until some kind of catastrophic failure arises :P

Tenicus
May 19th, 2007, 02:30 AM
EXAILE
it is super sick
are you kidding me son
loads up in not even a nanosecond

ceelo
May 19th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Amarok. I've gone back and forth on it and kinda hated it for a while, but it's grown on me and I think it's great now. Banshee is cool too.

reacocard
May 19th, 2007, 02:38 AM
EXAILE
it is super sick
are you kidding me son
loads up in not even a nanosecond

I think you mean 'slick' ;)

It's a good 3-4 seconds here, but that still beats the heck out of Amarok (10-15 s), and is about the same as Rhythmbox (which you'd think would be faster, as its written in C).

ice60
May 19th, 2007, 04:42 AM
i use about 10 different music players, i don't really know why. but i use -
xfmedia the most (for listening to podcasts), then -
BMPx (for the radio) and
exaile for music

n2j3
May 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM
cplay for the fastest playback, amarok for scrobbling etc. Downloading quod libet asap - looking for foo2k replacement too :)

Limitlesschannels
May 23rd, 2007, 08:35 AM
Banshee is the only one that seems to load my library within a competant time. Amarok seems to be the biggest resource hog and takes something like 30 seconds to load my library. Tsk.

Celegorm
May 23rd, 2007, 09:49 AM
I like xmms, it's small and stays out of the way and looks pretty. Recently I've been using audacious a lot as it came with my Zenwalk installion for my desktop, and I can't be bothered to install xmms since I am lazy and audacious has all of the same things I like as xmms.

bars123
May 25th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Rhythmbox :p and realplayer :tongue: BTW is there a realplayer for the Feisty version:?:

regomodo
May 25th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I hate Amarok with a passion. So bloated and kills my computer every time i try and use it

brim4brim
May 25th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Rhythembox. It is easy to use and loads fast. Its a pleasure coming from the hog that was iTunes on windows. Familar yet better.

viniciusfs
May 26th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Amarok still my favorite but I'm trying Listen and it rocks a lot.

smbm
May 27th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I voted MPD/GMPC but I'm now using the Feisty version of Rhythmbox almost exclusively and it's awesome.

DJ Wings
May 27th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Exaile. Goes well with XFCE, has a clean UI, and has great features.

Mongo5000
September 10th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Right now, I have XMMS and Banshee installed and both are awesome,

aysiu
September 10th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Check out the thread I merged yours with.

tameek
September 10th, 2007, 05:40 AM
right now I'm going to Amarok. I hear the more music you get the more unstable it gets. I'm around 500 tracks and it works like a charm (other than the 20 seconds it takes to start up :???:)

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Exaile, even though it has some quirks that annoy me it's still my favourite on GNU/Linux.

j.miller565
September 10th, 2007, 05:46 AM
I find Amarok the nicest and easiet to use. Rhythm Box ain't too bad. I like Exaile quite a bit too, but for some reason, I like Amarok better. Can't wait for the new release of it to come out :)

junjan
September 15th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I really think that there's no linux player to equal Foobar2000, not even by far. :(
For the moment the one I find more promissing is Quod Libet. I quite like it. :)

What about Mesk? Anybody is using it?

hidey
September 15th, 2007, 06:27 PM
On the Windows side I used Winamp and then foobar2k. Now with Linux I've gone Rhythmbox -> Songbird (only tried it) -> Exaile -> Amarok. I'm most pleased with Amarok out of all of these, I didn't think I'd ever find a foobar killer, but here it is. :) The other Linux ones I found had a lot more bugs compared to Amarok and just weren't as pretty. :p

hellion0
September 15th, 2007, 07:12 PM
On the Windows and Mac side, I prefer iTunes. On the Linux side, it's XMMS for me... until I get a faster laptop, then it'll probably be Rhythmbox.

hessiess
September 15th, 2007, 07:40 PM
rythembox, i just tryed exile and i hate it!

Ziox
September 17th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Hardcore Listen follower since the beginning of time

dentaku65
September 17th, 2007, 08:50 AM
amaroK all the time, sometimes Audacious and Last.fm player

olieviya
September 17th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I need my files sorted and a library-based player is basically what I want at the moment I am using Banshee but if anybody out there knows of a good alternative that also can play some killer visualisation as well, I would be interested.

Lord Illidan
September 17th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I need my files sorted and a library-based player is basically what I want at the moment I am using Banshee but if anybody out there knows of a good alternative that also can play some killer visualisation as well, I would be interested.

Amarok with libvisual is excellent. It can also sort your actual music files as well...and it is heavily library based. And yep, killer visualisations are in.

newman
September 17th, 2007, 11:27 AM
What's the closest equivalent of Amarok that's native Gnome?

easyease
September 17th, 2007, 12:16 PM
amarok because its good for accessing radio and files and it has a graphic equaliser which is one function the rest (apart from xmms) lack.

hidey
September 17th, 2007, 12:23 PM

That'd be Exaile, since they're pretty much copy...I mean taking influences from Amarok.

Lord Illidan
September 17th, 2007, 12:26 PM

Exaile would be the closest. It's not bad, but imho, Amarok is currently unbeatable..A recent LXF review marked it as 10/10.

thesmartace
September 17th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Amarok ftw.

Exaile is getting there but still has a while to go before its anything on Amarok.

newman
September 17th, 2007, 12:55 PM
thanks
I don't like the idea of installing all the kde libs...

Lord Illidan
September 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM
thanks
I don't like the idea of installing all the kde libs...

They do take up a lot of space, but with today's harddrives, it's hardly a problem, I think.

n3tfury
September 17th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Exaile would be the closest. It's not bad, but imho, Amarok is currently unbeatable..A recent LXF review marked it as 10/10.

lol, 10/10. nothing's perfect in this world and certainly not any app. (ps. i use amarok as well, but seriously...)

afonic
September 17th, 2007, 05:32 PM

Use Exaile, I find it to be pretty much the same in basic tasks and much faster than amaroK as well.

As they state in their page:
"Exaile is a music player aiming to be similar to KDE's Amarok, but for GTK+ and written in Python."

jviscosi
September 17th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I use Amarok.

I would really like to use Listen, because I like the UI, but it hasn't been updated in a while. Also, on my machine it has some stability issues, and it doesn't seem to deal with podcasts very well.

I've used Exaile and it's pretty nice, but the tabbed layout doesn't do much for me -- which is weird considering how extensively I use tabs in other apps like Seamonkey and Terminal.

justin whitaker
September 17th, 2007, 05:35 PM
No competition: Amarok. I came to the conclusion, after I started plumbing its depths, that it is the best media player on any platform.

headflux
September 17th, 2007, 07:13 PM
For pure sound quality it has to be my trusty old outboard CD player...none of this newfangled MP3 for me.
:-)

I still wonder why Minidisc never took off; great little format and much superior sound quality to MP3. For me, it was similar to the VHS vs BetaMax battle of the 1980s

n3tfury
September 17th, 2007, 07:21 PM
For pure sound quality it has to be my trusty old outboard CD player...none of this newfangled MP3 for me.
:-)

I still wonder why Minidisc never took off; great little format and much superior sound quality to MP3. For me, it was similar to the VHS vs BetaMax battle of the 1980s

you're obviously stuck believing that all lossie codecs are alike. perhaps you should go lossy then (.ape, .flac, etc).

chicoicho
September 17th, 2007, 07:28 PM
My favorite player is Beep Media Player.

blithen
September 17th, 2007, 09:35 PM
w00t for cmus!!!
I've been having problems with my graphical players. So I have become very fond of cmus. :D

kelly.seay
September 17th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I like Banshee because I can fast forward and rewind songs with the scroll wheel when it is minimized to my notification All the other players that I have used, such as Amarok, and Rythmbox, changes the volume from the notification area. I can already do that with the volume manager. Keeping Banshee in the notification area and being able to fast forward lets me keep less clutter on my desktop. I love it.

t0p
September 17th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Go 'box, go! You can still catch that Anorak!

dmacdonald111
September 22nd, 2007, 02:22 AM
I didn't know there were so many different players! Well, I use xmms with (and I think the all time best program yet) streamtuner. Makes listening to online radio a breeze.

NeutrinoX
September 22nd, 2007, 02:34 AM
AmaroK rocks my socks. 'cept when it (rarely) crashes. :guitar:

odiseo77
September 22nd, 2007, 02:38 AM
Voted for amaroK, though I also like exaile a lot...

jviscosi
September 22nd, 2007, 02:43 AM

I can't carry around 6,000 songs on Minidisc in my car and up to my office.

Well, I suppose I could, but I don't want to. ;-)

fenian
September 22nd, 2007, 07:21 AM
I've been using XMMS2 lately and so fat I'm pretty pleased.It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Amarok (which I still use to sync my mp3 player) but it's lighter and handles my music database much better,loads and searches way faster.

Chymera
September 22nd, 2007, 07:35 AM
yep, amarok ftw!

I would like to see a gnome remake of it, and no, exaile, at least for now isn't even close.
It also uses a heck of a lot of resources for a music player, but it's worth it's trouble, even in gnome....

init1
September 22nd, 2007, 01:45 PM
XMMS FTW. It does everything I need it to.

fuscia
September 24th, 2007, 03:39 AM
just got mpd and ncmpc working. i have no idea what i'm doing yet, but i'm enjoying the novelty, so far.

squidmaster
September 24th, 2007, 07:30 AM
song bird baby!

tbroderick
September 24th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Been rocking mesk (http://mesk.nicfit.net/) lately. Simple folder/playlist based player. Sort of like a more minimal sonata.

John Azelvandre
September 25th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Well, I've only tried Amarok and Rhythmbox. Amarok beats the pants off of Rhythmbox. So I'm going to stick with that!

Mayfairy
September 26th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Whenever I like to show off to my Windows using friends I usually use AmaroK. Also when I'm doing some bigger music sessions it's my choice.
Whenever I want to listen just a song or two I usually go with Rhythmbox. Both are really nice players, but larger music collections usually make them a pain to start. Maybe if I had some knowledge in SQL databases I could use them with AmaroK.

weird_c00kie
October 7th, 2007, 06:13 AM
why isn't Songbird in the list?

That's what I used to use before it decided to stop working after I installed Feisty. I've been using Amarok in its absence, but my heart rests with Songbird..... maybe I'm too used to iTunes :p

-grubby
October 7th, 2007, 07:34 AM
sound juicer.

kdx
October 8th, 2007, 08:03 AM
I started out with Rhythmbox, but instantly disliked it. It just didn't seem to have the functionality and setup that I like to have. The equalizer, if it even exists, was extremely difficult to find. I also like my player to always be visible, but be very small, and have most of the functionality still available.

Next I went with XMMS, since I always used Winamp in Window$, but I thought XMMS was too ugly, even though it supported Winamp skins, and functionally it worked just like Winamp.

So I gave Amarok a try, and I actually used it for quite a while. I liked that it had a small player window that I could just stick in the corner of my screen. The alarm plugin was neat; in Window$ I had always used my computer as my alarm clock (using Citrus Alarm Clock), so when I found that feature I was extremely happy. I thought Amarok was pretty good; kept trying to convince myself that I liked it better than Winamp. Nope. The equalizer was crappy. I was never able to get it to sound right for me. I'm sure that it works just fine for some people, but I spent DAYS tinkering with it and was never able to get it right. I also just don't understand the benefit of having a library-based player. All my music is already organized on my computer by artist and album...I know exactly where everything is. It's not even that helpful if I'm looking to make a mixed playlist...since there really isn't a category that could cover everything I would want to put into a playlist. As far as my tastes go, it's quite redundant. Then again, I always hated iTunes.

Just for kicks I tried out Exaile and Banshee, but they weren't my cup of tea, either.

Then, I found Audacious. It's very similar to XMMS/Beep Media Player, but appears to possibly have a few more options (I could be wrong, I didn't really spend much time with Beep or XMMS), and without XMMS's butt-ugly P.I.T.A. file selector. Anyway, I started it up and attempted to set the equalizer up the way I like it. I played a song and...it was perfect. I immediately got to work attempting to duplicate this equalizer setup in Amarok, tinkered with it for probably an hour or so. To test it I even loaded the same songs into both Amarok and Audacious and played them back-to-back...Audacious won hands down. So, in order to continue to have my computer be my alarm clock, I set up Kalarm. I actually like that much better than the alarm plugin in Amarok.

So, for the time being anyway, it appears that Audacious is the one for me. Who knows, maybe I'll find something else out there that I like even better...I haven't really tried Beep until just a few minutes ago, actually. But it appears to be similar enough to Audacious that I don't really feel the need to switch. But, with a little tinkering and some more time I may end up liking it better, I suppose.

n3tfury
October 8th, 2007, 11:44 AM
well i've tried rythmbox, exaile and xmms and didn't care for any of them. i had tried amarok before and didn't care for it because it was a bit slow, but after trying the previous three i went back to amarok to give it another chance - set it up with mysql to lovingly embrace my entire music collection (w/ album art) and have fallen in love with it.

the only thing i DON'T like about it is the fact that i can't seem to find a way to change the colors of the playback buttons or the EQ bands. anybody?

EdThaSlayer
October 8th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I have just started to like Amarok. It looks pretty neat and I like the way the tray icon actually gets "fuller" the closer it gets to the ending of the song.

Circus-Killer
October 8th, 2007, 12:57 PM
exaile! :D

(and for the life of me, why use amarok in gnome when there's exaile)

Marquis_de_Carabas
October 8th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Audacious won hands down. So, in order to continue to have my computer be my alarm clock, I set up Kalarm. I actually like that much better than the alarm plugin in Amarok.

XMMS-Alarm has been ported to Audacious, so you don't need to use a separate alarm program. Unless you want to :)

n3tfury
October 8th, 2007, 05:13 PM
exaile! :D

(and for the life of me, why use amarok in gnome when there's exaile)

since you've used both, tell us why you prefer exaile over amarok?

boast
October 8th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I liked songbird media player, but it was too slow on my comp.

So banshee is my second favorite.

the.dark.lord
October 8th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Love Rhythmbox myself!

public_void
October 8th, 2007, 05:34 PM
VLC for almost all media.

kdx
October 10th, 2007, 08:29 PM
XMMS-Alarm has been ported to Audacious, so you don't need to use a separate alarm program. Unless you want to :)

Come to think of it, I did try that.

I actually prefer it this way so that I don't have to make sure that Audacious is running all the time. When the alarm goes off, it if runs the "audacious -t" play/pause command, so it actually opens Audacious if it's closed. I have Kalarm set to run at startup, so I don't have to worry about forgetting to leave it on. Plus, if I'm remembering correctly, it's got more configuration options.

Thanks, though!

bailout
October 10th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Amarok for me. In windows I used to use XMPlay which is very minimalist and light. However, after getting used to the features of amarok I find the library/playlist side of XMPlay just too limited and am trying to find a new windows player to use until amarok is available on windows with kde4.

danm-koder
October 10th, 2007, 11:38 PM
amaroK! amaroK! amaroK!!! What a wonderful player!!! And it's just gonna be better when 2.0 arrives in all of our desktops... no matter if you run Linux, OS X, or even Win...

n3tfury
October 11th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Amarok for me. In windows I used to use XMPlay which is very minimalist and light. However, after getting used to the features of amarok I find the library/playlist side of XMPlay just too limited and am trying to find a new windows player to use until amarok is available on windows with kde4.

i use xmplay at work (windows) after discovering it a couple of months ago, but nothing will take over foobar on my home windows box. i had no idea that amarok (or kde4) was coming to windows, that's awesome.

finferflu
October 11th, 2007, 12:31 AM
MPD + ncmpc is the best option for me :)

Matthew Wiebelhaus
October 11th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Windows Media Player

-grubby
October 11th, 2007, 01:46 AM
sound juicer

n3tfury
October 11th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Windows Media Player

i don't mind windows at all and use it daily, but WMP is a pos.

Fred_E _krugar
October 12th, 2007, 05:52 AM
I have been using Audacious , Would like to use Rythmbox, but I listen to mainly internet radio.

If there is a way to play internet radio with Rythm plz let me know. I could have just overlooked it, which is very possible for me.

Dimitriid
October 12th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Exaile. Amarok is nice and I could just "use amarok" as often suggested but Exaile does everything I want, nice library player. Both Amarok and Rhythmbox seem overkill.

Then again I could just as easily use Audacious anyway, im still not 100% sold on library based players but Exaile doesn't really seems any more resource intensive so thats nice.

troy1of2
October 12th, 2007, 06:03 AM
I like the look and feel of Amarok best but I use Rhythmbox a lot too.

santiagoward2000
October 16th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Hi everyone!
I'm here to see if I get some advise. I really love Amarok, but it is way to heavy for my poor laptop (1,4MHz, 192mb RAM). I'm looking for something similar to Amarok, but lighter. I've read about Exaile and Listen, and they sound great. Which one would you recommend? (Remember my machine is not exactly cutting edge)
Thanks!

kanpachi
October 16th, 2007, 07:49 PM
i just discovered MOC, which is a great console audio player :)
try it out http://moc.daper.net/

reacocard
October 16th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Hi everyone!
I'm here to see if I get some advise. I really love Amarok, but it is way to heavy for my poor laptop (1,4MHz, 192mb RAM). I'm looking for something similar to Amarok, but lighter. I've read about Exaile and Listen, and they sound great. Which one would you recommend? (Remember my machine is not exactly cutting edge)
Thanks!

Exaile is very nice, but the RAM use may be a bit much for that computer if you have a sizable collection (>1000-2000 songs).

FuturePilot
October 16th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Exaile. Lightweight, GTK. Does what I need it to do. Works great.:guitar:

santiagoward2000
October 16th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Exaile is very nice, but the RAM use may be a bit much for that computer if you have a sizable collection (>1000-2000 songs).

My collection is not that big, around 500 songs. Will it work with my 192mb RAM?

\Oo._.oO/
October 16th, 2007, 09:09 PM
i just discovered MOC, which is a great console audio player :)
try it out http://moc.daper.net/

I tried this some time ago also and it's a keeper. Pity that repo version is a bit old, but the svn snapshot compiled fine, Quite a leap from amarok though.

Earthwormzim
October 16th, 2007, 09:10 PM
i use xmms. i should start using a library based app, i guess.

Why? What is wrong with dragging & dropping directories into the current playlist window? You know where your music is, right? The only reason I could see for wanting a library-based music player is for those who do no have their collections well-organized.

Besides, none of the library-based music players have good, highly-configurable cross-fade plugins, like Audacious and XMMS...and I much prefer this plugin over library capabilities.

Eh...but to each, his own.

reacocard
October 16th, 2007, 11:13 PM
My collection is not that big, around 500 songs. Will it work with my 192mb RAM?

That should be fine.

santiagoward2000
October 16th, 2007, 11:25 PM
That should be fine.

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

santiagoward2000
October 17th, 2007, 04:11 AM
Wow! Exaile is awesome! Way smoother than Amarok! The only little problem I have is that the "Album Art Collector" isn't working, but I think I can live without it... Still, If anyone knows how to fix it I'll appreciate it.

smartboyathome
October 17th, 2007, 04:13 AM
I use Audacious. It is just as good as XMMS, and is in development!

jimrz
October 17th, 2007, 04:24 AM
I really like Banshee and all it does but most of the time, for just playing mp3 while doing other stuff, I just use Audacious. So voted "other graphical player".

reacocard
October 17th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Wow! Exaile is awesome! Way smoother than Amarok! The only little problem I have is that the "Album Art Collector" isn't working, but I think I can live without it... Still, If anyone knows how to fix it I'll appreciate it.

You likely just have an older version, amazon changed its API recently so art collection doesn't work on pre-0.2.11b releases.

santiagoward2000
October 17th, 2007, 04:07 PM
You likely just have an older version, amazon changed its API recently so art collection doesn't work on pre-0.2.11b releases.

Ahh, thanks! It's probably that. I'm using v.0.2.8.

julian67
October 17th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Why? What is wrong with dragging & dropping directories into the current playlist window? You know where your music is, right? The only reason I could see for wanting a library-based music player is for those who do no have their collections well-organized.

Besides, none of the library-based music players have good, highly-configurable cross-fade plugins, like Audacious and XMMS...and I much prefer this plugin over library capabilities.

Eh...but to each, his own.

I think library/database based players are nice if you are search obsessed control freak who likes tracks by artist-X from 1973 '74 '76 but not '75 and only '73 when artist-Y is not featured and only '74
if it's instrumental and you feel compelled to then sync the playlist to your ipod.

Personally I mostly want to listen to the music and see the pretty cover art and have the player stay out of the way, so my music partition is nicely organised, folders and tracks correctly named, everything tagged etc and I use Audacious because it is close to perfection. It's the first player that doesn't leave me hankering for winamp.

bobbocanfly
October 19th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Used to be a mix between Songbird and XMMS for me. Now i use MPD with NCMPC or Audacious though most of the time i use NCMPC. Its just so easy and lightweight.

srikantmarakani
October 22nd, 2007, 12:53 AM
I like mythmusic. A lot of the other players seem to have problems with my ~300gb of mp3s :( while myth hardly skips a beat :) .

BWF89
October 22nd, 2007, 01:23 AM
Other graphical player

VLC Media Player

fwwarr
October 22nd, 2007, 03:03 AM
I love gmusicbrowser. It has a completely customisable interface, can deal with enormous libraries easily and allows great use of album art. It can also show the currently playing song's lyrics, last.fm page and wikipedia article. The only thing missing is wma support.

Nimaran
October 27th, 2007, 02:14 AM
I have looked long and hard, but in the end I loved Listen, but you can't rate your tracks which I use a lot. (If anyone knows a way please tell me).

So, with Listen lacking that one feature, I went with Amarok, it is a bit to crowded, and I prefer running Gnome apps on Gnome, but that's life.

Again if anyone knows how to rate songs in Listen please PM me or something.:)

boast
October 27th, 2007, 03:54 AM
anybody know of a music player that has different themes? (yes looking for foobar2000 replacement)

All the linux media players look the same. I guess linux community dont like pretty.
(and save the "go code your own" responces)

Rajca
October 27th, 2007, 01:08 PM
So, I use amarok. Collection, options, it is power :D
I tried to use Exaile(GTK amarok...ha?) but when i saw it uses 53 MB of my memory i removed it. I don't like playlists so it's important for me to have ability to switch between songs/artists/album one by one when i want.

Nonno Bassotto
October 27th, 2007, 02:49 PM
anybody know of a music player that has different themes? (yes looking for foobar2000 replacement)

All the linux media players look the same. I guess linux community dont like pretty.
(and save the "go code your own" responces)

It's not that we don't like pretty. You see, if applications use the standard skin, their look will change according to your current desktop theme. For me this is prettier and better integrated than using a different skin that will not match the look of my desktop.

Now, that said, the only skinnable music players that I know for linux are XMMS and Beep Media Player, which use the Winamp 2.x skins.

Anyway, searching for Foobar2000 on Google images returned me screenshots like this (http://kldp.org/files/foobar2000-1_892.jpg) or this (http://foobar.bowron.us/foobar2000.png). I just fail to see how this can be better looking than Banshee (http://banshee-project.org/images/2/2f/Banshee-0.11.0-release-library.png) or Listen (http://image.listen-project.org/listen_0.5beta1.png) or Exaile (http://exaile.org/wiki/images/Dexaile.png).

julian67
October 27th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Audacious is skinnable
Audacious is compatible with Winamp 2.x or "Classic" skins, as well as XMMS skins. (They're basically the same thing.)

http://audacious-media-player.org/index.php?title=Skins

Audacious doesn't look like Rhythmbox. Rhythmbox doesn't look like Amarok. Amarok doesn't look like Totem. Totem doesn't look like gmusicbrowser. Not all Linux media players look the same.

boast
October 27th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Anyway, searching for Foobar2000 on Google images returned me screenshots like this (http://kldp.org/files/foobar2000-1_892.jpg) or this (http://foobar.bowron.us/foobar2000.png). I just fail to see how this can be better looking than Banshee (http://banshee-project.org/images/2/2f/Banshee-0.11.0-release-library.png) or Listen (http://image.listen-project.org/listen_0.5beta1.png) or Exaile (http://exaile.org/wiki/images/Dexaile.png).

yeah, but it supports mods.

http://host.trivialbeing.org/up/fofr-fb2k-v9-desert.jpg

http://customize.org/download/screenshots/50786/46848/Elegance.jpg

Ill check out winamp 2.x skins/players. thnx

exchequer598
October 29th, 2007, 03:46 AM
I've tried all players and the ONE FEATURE I miss is the ability to read Lyrics3 tags embedded in the MP3 file.. I think there's a script for amarokto do that, but then I want a GNOME app to do that! Help!

disturbed1
October 29th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Over a year latter, and I'm still using Rhythmbox. But, I've added audacious as my main player. I've tried 99% of the other GTK based apps listed here, yes most are good/great quality, nothing beats the old standby though ;)

Mateo
December 17th, 2007, 03:08 AM
I've started using Ario, a mpd frontend. It's only at version 0.2 but is already, IMO, the best mpd frontend out there. Not very well known yet, though. Besides it's great user interface, it can also download album covers from Amazon without any user intervention necessary. And best of all, uses only 5meg of memory.

new2*buntu
December 17th, 2007, 03:20 AM
I use Exaile on Linux Mint XFCE.

Lostincyberspace
December 17th, 2007, 04:06 AM
I use Amarok right now since it has the best ability's so far I like its load time too for my collection really fast. I haven't tried a few of the ones mentioned though so it might change

SomeGuyDude
December 17th, 2007, 04:25 AM
I use Amarok right now since it has the best ability's so far I like its load time too for my collection really fast. I haven't tried a few of the ones mentioned though so it might change

Amarok's load time has always been awful for me. Exaile's pretty snappy, but I swear Amarok's splash screen sits on my desk for a good 15 seconds.

stands2reason
April 20th, 2008, 12:22 AM
AmaroK, because it is the only one that works with my MP3 player. Oh and the playlist and podcast support is nice.

davidw89
October 19th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Which one will find lyrics automatically whenever i play a song?

andras artois
October 19th, 2008, 01:22 AM
^ Rhythmbox with a plugin enabled, once you've enabled it you just press crtl+l and it shows the lyrics.

I really like Rhythmbox, nice and simple and I'm using it but Quod Libet and Banshee seem really nice as well.

doorknob60
October 19th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Amarok's my favorite, but I'm using Exaile right now because KDE3 apps look ugly with my other apps, and there's not way to control it from Lxpanel, but with Exaile you can get control buttons in the system tray :) It's probably my favorite GTK media player.

epidemiks
October 19th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Rhythmbox floats my boat.
Although when I'm in XP I'm partial to Media Monkey. Loading up a ipod on the other PC through the lan is pretty cool.

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 01:49 AM
cplay. it's much simpler than mpd and is so much better than any of that xmms/amarok apolgist nonsense (might have gotten a litte carried away there). and btw, streamripper > itunes and its wishiwere's.

reacocard
October 19th, 2008, 02:01 AM
cplay. it's much simpler than mpd and is so much better than any of that xmms/amarok apolgist nonsense (might have gotten a litte carried away there). and btw, streamripper > itunes and its wishiwere's.

apologist? On the contrary, amarok is great software, we (the exaile team) just bring some of that awesome to GTK. I think its more of a compliment to Amarok's greatness than anything. And we have streamripper support ^____^.

DougieFresh4U
October 19th, 2008, 04:04 AM
amarok
I just like the way I can use it

chucky chuckaluck
October 19th, 2008, 04:10 AM
apologist? On the contrary, amarok is great software, we (the exaile team) just bring some of that awesome to GTK. I think its more of a compliment to Amarok's greatness than anything. And we have streamripper support ^____^.

might have gotten a bit carried away there... anyway, i don't get why amarok doesn't have a streamripper plugin. where does it get its listing of station, though? that' where amarok is above the rest, in my view.

CRMcMullen
November 7th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Amarok is my choice. It's a good iTunes replacement.
:guitar:

elmer_42
November 7th, 2008, 03:00 AM
I'm enjoying mpd + ncmpc right now. It looks great alongside other terminal applications in a tiling WM and offers all of the functionality I need.

C!oud
November 7th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Songbird here, although I also enjoy mpd + sonata

RiceMonster
November 7th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I'm pretty picky about audio players. My favourite audio player on any platform is foobar2000 by far. I like it because it's got great sound quality, and it's very configurable. I don't even download any components; just the default UI is already configurable as hell and makes me happy.

On Linux, I like Amarok the most. It manages my music better than any audio player (even foobar2000!), and it's actually got an equalizer (not the best, but at least it works). What's with Linux audio players and not having an equalizer? Even if they have one, it's usually not that great or doesn't work properly. The problem with Amarok though is that it's a KDE app.

I also like audacious. I like the winamp interface. It's got good sound quality too (the equalizer actually works well, and better than Amarok's at that), and it looks nice. Only problem is it doesn't have a library, and I hate organizing ~7000 song collection in one giant playlist, or making a bunch of smaller ones.

Technoviking
November 7th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Banshee since version 1.2 has rocked my world.

SnakeArtworX
November 20th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Rhythmbox is my favourite. Especially with Gnome themed with MacOSX Leopard, it looks almost like iTunes, and works great with my 2nd gen. iPod Nano.

favadi
November 20th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Vlc.