PDA

View Full Version : Change the forum font

Curlydave
June 16th, 2005, 12:00 AM
I recently, thanks to a great HOW-TO was able to get clean-looking fonts in Ubuntu. However, that made the fonts on the Ubuntu website look even worse! I can fix this by making firefox ignore sites' font selection, but that's not good for other sites that use different fonts. The font used on the Ubuntu forums site looks, imo, not-so hot. The letters are just uneven in terms of thickness etc.

Here's a screenshot; compare the fonts on the Ubuntu site to the other fonts you see, eg on the menu bar or on firefox itself.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1q71c/Screenshot.jpg

And the weird part is that the forums look fine in Windows. Bizarre!!! With this setup, all sitse but the Ubuntu one look good in Ubuntu, and even the Ubuntu site looks fine in windows. Why is the Ubuntu site in Ubuntu looking like crap? (just look how uneven the font is.)

skoal
June 16th, 2005, 12:22 AM
I kind of like the forum font. I really don't see much difference between your screen output and mine. I think even your firefox menu fonts are kind of "squishy" compared to the Ubuntu website ones. It doesn't look like you are using anti-aliasing (which I don't either), but are you using the autohinter? Maybe turn the autohinter off and see what difference you notice.

P.S. I noticed something is a little off in one of your firefox forms. In the "[Size]" selector where you normally make a reply, it seems a bit off. Maybe some other adjustment needs to be made to your fonts?

\\//_

Footer
July 26th, 2005, 12:26 PM
I just discovered your post last night. I've been playing with fonts in Ubuntu for awhile now and I'm experiencing the exact same thing as you. By turning anti-aliasing off, all other sites look great but the Ubuntu forums site looks exactly as you describe. I'm inclined to leave the anti-aliasing off as everything else just looks fine and when I'm planning to visit or research the Ubuntu forums, just turn anti-aliasing back on. I tried every combination of font sizes to exclude, auto-hinting, etc. but I couldn't get the best of both worlds.

Have you had any luck since your initial post?

Windows displays just fine ... :???: