PDA

View Full Version : Ventrilo and wine

Pages : 1 [2]

connorh123
August 10th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Does anyone else share this mic problem?

Tulth
August 11th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Hey guys, I made an ugly python hack to automate starting up ventriloctrl. This program uses python-xlib, so you'll have to download that from the package manager first.

NOTE!!: It sets ownership to your username for the /dev/input/<yourkeyboard> keyboard device. This is probably a security no-no!

You should be able to just paste this into a text file, then save it as something like runvent.py. After this, you'll need to execute: chmod a+x runvent.py

Be sure to edit the following paths to the exes at the top of the program:
* ventriloctrl
* your .wine folder (I use a separate wine root just for vent)
* ventrilo.exe

Oh, and if it does not find your keyboard, you may have to edit the KEYBOARD_LABEL_REGEX to create a regular expression to find your keyboard.

#! /usr/bin/python

import os
import re
import time
import sys

# Change path so we find Xlib
sys.path.insert(1, os.path.join(sys.path[0], '..'))
from Xlib import X, display, Xutil

VENTRILO_WINDOW_NAME = "Ventrilo"
# if vent doesn't start in this many seconds, timeout and quit
VENTRILO_START_TIMEOUT = 12
INPUT_KEY="69" # my numlock key

def my_home_folder():
return os.getenv('HOME')

WINEPREFIX='WINEPREFIX="%s/wine_ventrilo"' % (my_home_folder())
VENTRILO_EXE = "%s/ventrilo/ventrilo.exe" % (my_home_folder())
VENTRILOCTRL = "%s/ventriloctrl-0.3/ventriloctrl" % (my_home_folder())

KEYBOARD_LABEL_REGEX = r'n: name="([^"]*keyboard[^"]*)".*'
KEYBOARD_HANDLER_REGEX = r'h: handlers=.*(event[0-9]+).*'

class venterror(Exception):
def __init__(self, msg):
self.msg = msg

def find_keyboard_event_handlers():
(child_stdin, child_stdout_and_stderr) = os.popen4('cat /proc/bus/input/devices')
child_lines = child_stdout_and_stderr.readlines()
devices = [[]]
for line in child_lines:
if line != '\n':
devices[-1] += [line.lower()]
else:
devices+=[[]]
pkeyboard = re.compile(KEYBOARD_LABEL_REGEX)
keyboard_indices = []
for (index, device) in zip(range(len(devices)),devices):
for line in device:
m = pkeyboard.match(line);
if m:
keyboard_indices += [index]
phandler = re.compile(KEYBOARD_HANDLER_REGEX)
keyboard_eventhandlers = set()
for keyboard_index in keyboard_indices:
working_device = devices[keyboard_index]
for line in working_device:
m = phandler.match(line);
if m:
for match in m.groups():
keyboard_eventhandlers.add(match)
return keyboard_eventhandlers

def set_keyboard_permissions(keyboard_eventhandlers):
my_uid = os.getuid()
for keyboard_eventhandler in keyboard_eventhandlers:
command = 'gksu chown %s /dev/input/%s' % (my_uid,keyboard_eventhandler)
os.system(command)
return

def find_xwindow(name):
xdisplay = display.Display()
if xdisplay == None:
raise venterror("ERROR: Could not open X Display!")
# get the screen
xscreen = xdisplay.screen()
# get the root window
xroot_win = xscreen.root
xwindow_tree = xscreen.root.query_tree()
found_win = None
for xchild in xwindow_tree._data['children']:
xchild_name = xchild.get_wm_name()
if xchild_name == name:
found_win = xchild
return found_win

def start_vent():
start_time = time.time()
command = '%s wine %s' % (WINEPREFIX, VENTRILO_EXE)
print command
(vent_stdin, vent_stdouterr) = os.popen4(command)
done = False
while not done:
os.system('sleep 1')
vent_window = find_xwindow(VENTRILO_WINDOW_NAME)
if vent_window != None:
done = True
elif time.time() - start_time > VENTRILO_START_TIMEOUT:
raise venterror("ERROR: Vent startup timeout!")
return (vent_stdin, vent_stdouterr)

def start_keyboard_forwarders(keyboard_eventhandlers):
vctrls_stdios = []
for keyboard_eventhandler in keyboard_eventhandlers:
command = '%s /dev/input/%s %s' % (VENTRILOCTRL, keyboard_eventhandler, INPUT_KEY)
vctrls_stdios += [os.popen4(command)]
return vctrls_stdios

def main():
keyboard_eventhandlers = find_keyboard_event_handlers()
set_keyboard_permissions(keyboard_eventhandlers)
(vent_stdin, vent_stdouterr) = start_vent()
keyboard_forwarders_stdios = start_keyboard_forwarders(keyboard_eventhandlers)
done = False
while not done:
os.system('sleep 10')
vent_window = find_xwindow(VENTRILO_WINDOW_NAME)
# if I wakeup and don't see the vent window, quit
if vent_window == None:
done = True

if __name__ == "__main__":
main()

I'd like to hear about if it helps anyone and if anyone makes improvements. I don't know popen that well, but I think someone that does could use it to determine when the child process is/isn't running to remove the python-xlib dependency.

connorh123
August 17th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Um correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you supposed to download this, http://www.ventrilo.com/dlprod.php?id=301

Tulth
August 17th, 2008, 03:46 AM
No, that is just a script to start the server, not the client.

Lord C
August 18th, 2008, 10:09 AM
You posted this in 2005 and we are now halfway through 2008 - I guess we know where they stand!! Oh and they are up to version 3.0.1 now. :lolflag:

My sentiments exactly.

Flagship are really an amateur shambles. It really annoys me how they delete any post on their forums asking about the Linux client.

Ziggyz
August 19th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Ventrilo Control v0.3-SVN for Linux by Purkka Productions
================================================== ===
WARNING: This program reads DIRECTLY your keyboard!
You need correct permissions to read the
event device.
Window selected. Please test pressing the key to talk before going to play.

Use CTRL-C to quit.

Is there no fix for this? I am having this exact same problem, and I have read nearly every single guide that is possible for any person to access using an internet connection. I can't seem to get it to work, and so fat it kinds looks like everyone has been ignoring help for this kind of error, or is there just not fix?

T313C0mun1s7
August 19th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Is there no fix for this? I am having this exact same problem, and I have read nearly every single guide that is possible for any person to access using an internet connection. I can't seem to get it to work, and so fat it kinds looks like everyone has been ignoring help for this kind of error, or is there just not fix?

I am not exactly sure if you are asking if there is a fix with the hotkey not working, or with the "Ventrilo Control v0.3-SVN for Linux by Purkka Productions" script. I am not associated in any way with Purkka Productions and I don't know what the script does, as I have not used it.

The issue at hand is that because WINE is not the app in focus and Vent is running under WINE, the hotkey will not work. WINE is not reading the keyboard when it is in the background. My assumption is that the script you are mentioning is an attempt to work around that by having something that reads the keyboard directly regardless of what program is currently the active one. If my assumption is correct then this script my be the key and you should try presenting your question to Purkka Productions. If I am wrong then the answer is there is just no way around this glaring problem, and it has been asked so many times that people have given up on trying to address it.

Ziggyz
August 19th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Im asking whether or not people are able to open the actual script.... It is saying that I need permission to do it, and I cant.

T313C0mun1s7
August 20th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Maybe, that's not how I read it though.

Ventrilo Control v0.3-SVN for Linux by Purkka Productions
================================================== ===
WARNING: This program reads DIRECTLY your keyboard!
You need correct permissions to read
the event device.

Use CTRL-C to quit.
To me it looks like a warning that you need to make sure you run it with correct permissions because it does not do error checking. The fact it continues on with

Use CTRL-C to quit.
instead of just dieing makes me think it is running, it just has no way of showing progress so it asks you to verify it works before you start the game.

Does the owner of the script not have any support or forums available? The fact that no one else here has answered makes me wonder if anyone else here has used this. I know I haven't. I still think you would be better served either getting answers from the source, or from a community that is familiar with it.

connorh123
August 21st, 2008, 10:49 PM
So is there no way to get my microphone to work and my sound to work on Ventrilo?

T313C0mun1s7
August 22nd, 2008, 02:13 AM
So is there no way to get my microphone to work and my sound to work on Ventrilo?

Your last post here was 4 days ago, and you didn't ask about your microphone. ADD/ADHD much?

It is possible to get your microphone working, it just does not do much good unless you want to keep the Ventrilo/WINE window in the foreground and in focus (the active window) so it can capture the hotkey. I mean you could play your game and listen to others, then switch to the Ventrilo/WINE application to respond. That kind of sucks however.

ooobuntooo
August 22nd, 2008, 10:54 AM
Is there a 3rd party Ventrollo client for Linux?
E.g. Pidgin = Windows Live Messenger.

aoanla
August 22nd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Is there a 3rd party Ventrollo client for Linux?
E.g. Pidgin = Windows Live Messenger.

Not that I'm aware of, although the actual VoIP protocols they use are well-understood (and standards).

Ironically, Ventrilo seems to have become more popular than Mumble and Team Speak for gaming at the moment, although the latter two both have linux clients...

louisgag
August 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
After struggling a long time with my audio settings to get vent to work I finally realized that I had to enable the "Digital" input in the gnome alsa mixer... (Even if my microphone is just some standard mic)

so if your setup is still not working but you have dmix and dsnoop detected you might wanna run command
alsamixer and try to enable some devices you would not suspect of being the microphone.

Ziggyz
August 23rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Maybe, that's not how I read it though.
To me it looks like a warning that you need to make sure you run it with correct permissions because it does not do error checking. The fact it continues on with
instead of just dieing makes me think it is running, it just has no way of showing progress so it asks you to verify it works before you start the game.

Does the owner of the script not have any support or forums available? The fact that no one else here has answered makes me wonder if anyone else here has used this. I know I haven't. I still think you would be better served either getting answers from the source, or from a community that is familiar with it.

Although I downloaded the script from a different website, I followed the exact instructions here and on other websites... I am not using a different program...

connorh123
August 23rd, 2008, 10:44 PM
Well when I change my codec, it goes back to what it was before. It's like you can't apply it or anything.

zmjjmz
September 2nd, 2008, 12:25 AM
Ok, I've been trying to get ventriloctrl working for a while now.
Here's the script I made as per the README:

#!/bin/bash
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Ventrilo/
WINEDEBUG="-all" wine Ventrilo.exe &
sleep 3
ventriloctrl /dev/input/event1 96

96 should be F12, but it doesn't work D:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2008-09-01 08:03 usb-Apple_Computer_Apple_Internal_Keyboard_._Trackpad-event-kbd -> ../event1

I'm pretty sure that should work... but...

Tulth
September 2nd, 2008, 05:00 AM
Make sure vent is setup to use the 'A' key for push to talk. Despite what you program it to, it always sends the 'A' key to ventrilo. The key you program only changes what key you press to send a fake 'A' keypress to ventrilo.

zmjjmz
September 2nd, 2008, 05:02 AM
It was like that, yes.
I've switched it back because I don't need ventriloctrl at the moment, but I set the vent settings according to what it said in the README

Tulth
September 2nd, 2008, 05:06 AM
Hrm, one other thing to check: are you sure you had permissions set? I noted the permissions reset every reboot.

zmjjmz
September 2nd, 2008, 05:08 AM
Hrm, one other thing to check: are you sure you had permissions set? I noted the permissions reset every reboot.

Permissions for what now?
The event1?

Tulth
September 2nd, 2008, 05:14 AM
Right, the typically /dev/input/X

zmjjmz
September 2nd, 2008, 05:15 AM
Right, the typically /dev/input/X

Should I chmod 777 /dev/input/event1?
Seems dangerous...

Tulth
September 2nd, 2008, 05:21 AM
Right, ventctrl needs permissions to read it, and yes I think it is a possible security hole.

zmjjmz
September 2nd, 2008, 05:57 AM
Right, ventctrl needs permissions to read it, and yes I think it is a possible security hole.

Hm?
I could probably run ventriloctrl as root.

Prefix100
September 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
Yea, run as root thats how I used to do it.

Create a bash script that does the vent ctrl, then opens vent.

zmjjmz
September 2nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
Didn't work D:

SBFC
September 3rd, 2008, 02:42 AM
Running it as root isn't necessary.

Follow the instructions here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2662867&postcount=83) and you'll be able to give a group permission to the events (and add yourself to the group).

I stumbled upon this post some time back and it works perfectly. My thanks to hikaricore.

zmjjmz
September 3rd, 2008, 02:57 AM
I'm just going to point out that hikaricore said that the instructions were outdated because the new ventriloctrl has better instructions built in, but I'll try it anyways.

SBFC
September 3rd, 2008, 11:59 PM
I'm just going to point out that hikaricore said that the instructions were outdated because the new ventriloctrl has better instructions built in, but I'll try it anyways.

Could be. Perhaps I'm using an outdated version.

Landara
October 7th, 2008, 04:43 PM
The only thing is Teamspeak has crappy sound quality.

zmjjmz
October 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM
The only thing is Teamspeak has crappy sound quality.

From my experience Ventrilo isn't much better, though it could just be WINE.

Sammi
October 8th, 2008, 10:25 PM
If you have possibility of getting your guild on board, then your best option for a good Linux gaming VoIP app is Mumble:

http://mumble.sourceforge.net

It works problem free on Win/Mac/Linux, is fast, sounds as good as the others, if not better, and is open source. What more could you want? Other than it being able to connect to Ventrilo and Teamspeak servers of course... damn proprietary protocols...

jeaves
November 16th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Not sure if this is the best place for this question... I'm getting some horrible sound quality out of Vent run through wine. My mic records just fine in the Ubuntu recorder, though.

Ubuntu 8.04
Wine 1.1.8
Vent 3.0.4

Even the connect wav is choppy, and my sound recording with just about any codec or speed sounds extremely staticy and far away.
Any suggestions?

T313C0mun1s7
November 16th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Not sure if this is the best place for this question... I'm getting some horrible sound quality out of Vent run through wine. My mic records just fine in the Ubuntu recorder, though.

Ubuntu 8.04
Wine 1.1.8
Vent 3.0.4

Even the connect wav is choppy, and my sound recording with just about any codec or speed sounds extremely staticy and far away.
Any suggestions?
Just a shot in the dark here, but make sure you are NOT running any other VoIP software (softphone, Skype, etc) or P2P (ie torrent) applications at the same time.

The fact that it works locally with Ubuntu recorder is a hint that it is most likely a network issue. Probably 98% of all VoIP quality issues end up being network issues because VoIP traffic must be realtime and the packets must arrive in the correct order. TCP/IP as a protocol is just not built that way, so in order to achive that all other traffic must get out of the way. For this reason you should use QOS to prioritize traffic, but no amount of QOS will fix you trying to use a bit torrent client at the same time. Remember, you are most likely using this app while playing a MMORP game, and that is going to tax your Internet connection enough on its own.

jeaves
November 16th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Just a shot in the dark here, but make sure you are NOT running any other VoIP software (softphone, Skype, etc) or P2P (ie torrent) applications at the same time.

It sounds network related to me as well, though I'm having the same sound quality problems when *disconnected* from Vent, but running the mic test through the setup. I've done testing with all programs disabled (even shut down my wife's pc)

Here's some screens of my setup for the Voice and Speech tabs.

T313C0mun1s7
November 17th, 2008, 01:22 AM
This type of network troubleshooting goes beyond and off topic from this thread. Also, I currently don't have a Linux machine set up (also I just UNinstalled VMWare Workstation). So I can't and won't go too deep into specifics, but I can give some advice to help you narrow this down.

If the problems are static, buzzing, or the like you have a sound issue. If the problems are echo, stuttering, delay, or choppiness, then it is a network issue. VoIP traffic is very touchy and things that don't bother other traffic will cause problems for VoIP. Echo is when one end or the other is trasmitting too "hot" and you get reflective power. Stutter, choppiness, stuttering and delay is when the lag is too long, the pakets come in out of order, or or you have packet loss.

Start by looking at all network traffic on your computer, look for anything that might fragment the packets or delay the traffic. Poorly set rwin and mtu can cause fragmentation. Also if the mtu is different from other equipment between endpoints it will cause fragmentation.

If the issue is not to be found on your computer, move to the local network. Use network tools to determine if the flow is ok. If there are no network issues, look to pysical network issues. This means a cable that cas been kinked or had a desk set on it, cheap consumer quality switches and routers, etc. A CAT5 cable that and been kinked and straightend is BAD.

Belken likes to sell patch cables that are both bent too sharply and zip tied in the middle when packaged. In otherwords, they detroy the cable by putting it in the packaging. If you don't believe me read the EIA/TIA 568 standard. There is a lot of crap quality networking products that are sold to consumers. This could also be the cause of issues.

I don't want to go on a rant here but what I am trying to say is eliminate one posibility at a time and work outward. First look to your computer, then your network, then your internal equipment, then to your ISP, then past the ISP gateway towards the other endpoint. Not all of this is within your control, but by the time you have to make calls for the stuff not under your control you will know that all is well on your end, and know what you are talking about.

Sammi
November 17th, 2008, 04:36 PM
This type of network troubleshooting goes beyond and off topic from this thread. Also, I currently don't have a Linux machine set up (also I just UNinstalled VMWare Workstation). So I can't and won't go too deep into specifics, but I can give some advice to help you narrow this down.

If the problems are static, buzzing, or the like you have a sound issue. If the problems are echo, stuttering, delay, or choppiness, then it is a network issue. VoIP traffic is very touchy and things that don't bother other traffic will cause problems for VoIP. Echo is when one end or the other is trasmitting too "hot" and you get reflective power. Stutter, choppiness, stuttering and delay is when the lag is too long, the pakets come in out of order, or or you have packet loss.

Start by looking at all network traffic on your computer, look for anything that might fragment the packets or delay the traffic. Poorly set rwin and mtu can cause fragmentation. Also if the mtu is different from other equipment between endpoints it will cause fragmentation.

If the issue is not to be found on your computer, move to the local network. Use network tools to determine if the flow is ok. If there are no network issues, look to pysical network issues. This means a cable that cas been kinked or had a desk set on it, cheap consumer quality switches and routers, etc. A CAT5 cable that and been kinked and straightend is BAD.

Belken likes to sell patch cables that are both bent too sharply and zip tied in the middle when packaged. In otherwords, they detroy the cable by putting it in the packaging. If you don't believe me read the EIA/TIA 568 standard. There is a lot of crap quality networking products that are sold to consumers. This could also be the cause of issues.

I don't want to go on a rant here but what I am trying to say is eliminate one posibility at a time and work outward. First look to your computer, then your network, then your internal equipment, then to your ISP, then past the ISP gateway towards the other endpoint. Not all of this is within your control, but by the time you have to make calls for the stuff not under your control you will know that all is well on your end, and know what you are talking about.
As a former ISP phone supporter, I say that this is first grade advise for users.

Network troubleshooting is a long elimination process. You test one thing at a time, to see if it works, and move on until you find the faulty point in the network chain.

louisgag
November 17th, 2008, 05:40 PM
JEAVES: try disabling directsound.

T313C0mun1s7
November 18th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I just want to clarify something from my hastily written previous post. Just because your network is passing traffic does not mean that all is well, and more sensitive applications will show symptoms first. Any real time streaming protocol is going to be subject to having issues when everything else seems ok.

Here are some examples. A network cable may be passing traffic and you may not notice issues, but just because there is continuity between the correct pins on the cable does not mean all is well. Being improperly terminated by having the outer sheath stripped back more than 1/4 inch, or nicking the inner sheaths of the wires a little where you pull it off will cause issues. As will allowing the cable to EVER be bent at a radius more than outer diameter of the cable (about 1/4 inch). Also, the conductors of the cable can become stretched if it is ever pulled exerting more than 3 lbs/square inch of pull. A rule of thumb when pulling bulk cable is, if it is enough to lift the box off the ground it is too much. All of these things can cause cross talk, reflected power, noise, and other issues that will ultimately lead to problems such as retransmission of packets.

Network packets can also collide forcing retransmission, this possibility increases the more endpoints you have and the longer the distance is between endpoints. This is why cables have maximum lengths. They also have MINIMUM lengths; the twist cannot do its job canceling noise if the cable is not at least 24 inches long. Make sure you do not have any cables anywhere less than 2 feet long.

The equipment itself can cause issues. This is why enterprise switches and routers advertise the speed of the switching fabric and the method of packet transmission (such as store and forward). Don't expect great quality out of a $50 switch.

I am not trying to sound like an elitist, in fact there is some very good consumer equipment out there, but I have personally seen problems such as these in the past. I engineered and implemented a fiber-to-the-home development serving 360 homes, and I saw a lot of this along the way. We were serving both Internet access and phone service (as VoIP) so implementation was critical. In one case an installer who did not know what he was doing terminated the cables in such a way that where he has punched them down to the termination block the outer sheath was stripped back 3 inches. This fact alone caused a large amount of packet loss. Not so much that he had no Internet, but enough that he got frequent 404 errors at websites and was only getting about 256K when he should have been getting 3M.

The point of this whole post is that TCP/IP was designed from the ground up to be survivable. The Internet is supposed to be able to survive a nuclear war and still be mostly working. Most every protocol transmitting across TCP/IP takes advantage of the fact that things can get delayed or need to be retransmitted. Things can get pretty messed up before you notice anything is wrong. Real time streaming applications like Video and VoIP are exceptions to this. Things need to be near perfect to really get this stuff working well. We can get around a little of this with things like buffering, but it only goes so far. There are a lot of problems that can exist but seem "invisible" until you try to do something like run voice while gaming.

SBFC
November 30th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Has anyone else been having issues with ventrictrl lately? I recently upgraded to 8.10 and while monitoring all events in /dev/input I get no feedback what-so-ever.

nzadLithium
December 1st, 2008, 06:12 AM
same here, i tried seeing if /dev/input/event(my event) had any output at all, made a bash script inf look and told it to cat /dev/input/event(event number). It gave out nothing, so I took a look in gogle, found this question on launchpad: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/51132
which is askin about the problem, + https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/298963 which is asking same thing as well, and from the second one theres a link https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal/+bug/267682/comments/84 which has someone who has figured out the problem, but i've heard nothing about a fix. I might try writing a push to talk hack that uses x for key reporting, then it would work, but we'll have to see how annoyed I am with no push to talk XD

SBFC
December 2nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
same here, i tried seeing if /dev/input/event(my event) had any output at all, made a bash script inf look and told it to cat /dev/input/event(event number). It gave out nothing, so I took a look in gogle, found this question on launchpad: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/51132
which is askin about the problem, + https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/298963 which is asking same thing as well, and from the second one theres a link https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal/+bug/267682/comments/84 which has someone who has figured out the problem, but i've heard nothing about a fix. I might try writing a push to talk hack that uses x for key reporting, then it would work, but we'll have to see how annoyed I am with no push to talk XD

Well, I've been working on a script that monitors X instead of /dev/input/event* using python-xlib and have made some progress. I am a bit stumped right now, though.

I tried to follow the original ventriloctrl.c (from what I could follow) and right now it is able to locate the Ventrilo window and send events. Only problem, and I can't figure out why, is the event isn't sent unless you hover over Ventrilo with the mouse. You don't have to select it, you just have to hover. Obviously not ideal.

I've been stumped on this last bit since last night and have made no progress. Maybe someone else with more knowledge could offer some input. I've attached what I have so far.

nzadLithium
December 2nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
That would have to be something to do with the window focus still, when you place ur mouse over something thats not in focus, and scroll on it, it will still scroll, so there must be some sort of semi-focus mode as well XD

I've got quite a bit of time over the holidays, so if u don't get your python one working, i'll try writing one up in c++ :D

SBFC
December 3rd, 2008, 12:08 AM
Yeah. It just confused me because the original ventriloctrl only sends a KeyPress/KeyRelease event. It doesn't manipulate focus at all (from what I can tell).

Maybe python-xlib just behaves a little differently.

SBFC
December 3rd, 2008, 06:50 AM
Ha. Finally got it. Spent the last two nights trying to figure this out and all it took was one line of code to get it working.

local_dsp.sync()

Uploaded what I have. It's set up similar to the real ventriloctrl in that your Vent settings have to be set the same.

This script uses the left alt key (keycode 64) but you can edit it and set it to whatever you like. Just need to get the proper keycode. I used xev.

Not sure if I'll work on improving it simply because the original ventriloctrl is better. It monitors input events from the keyboard whereas mine monitors events from X. This means that mine is constrained to whatever display it is run on where as the original works no matter which display you happen to be on.

I (usually) play games on a separate X screen so the original really was nice.

The reason I say I may not improve it is because I'm assuming the bug with the input events will get fixed.

Sammi
December 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Good work SBFC.

Just one request: Can you please write up a short step by step guide for us noobs, on how to configure and run your script? Haven't ever run a python script before. Thanks ):P

SBFC
December 3rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Sure will. I was planning on it but wanted to get a few modifications in first. When I get home from work I'll finish up with the changes and then repost it with some instructions.

SBFC
December 4th, 2008, 07:34 AM
So...here's pyvent then.

You'll need python2.5 and python-xlib

sudo apt-get install python2.5 python-xlib

Download the attachment and drop it wherever you want. Run it without any arguments and you'll be able to monitor your key presses/mouse clicks

oblivion@macabre:~/dev/python$ ./pyvent.py

Required arguments not supplied so
will run findkey.

Running findkey...
Press the key or mouse button you wish to
have as your PTT and findkey will tell you
the command to execute.
Press Ctrl-C to exit.

./pyvent.py 2 64

Follow the instructions and press the key you wish to have as your PTT. This will will tell you the proper arguments to run pyvent with.

In the above I pressed the left alt button.

As for Ventrilo settings, the original ventriloctrl rules still apply. As per their README:

Make sure to set these things exactly like below:
* Check: "Use Push To Talk Hotkey ( PTT Mode )"
* Uncheck: "Use Direct Input to detect Hotkey"
* Hotkey: "Keyboard: A" (if you are pushing the key that you setup in the Getting Started section, and it is not appearing as "Keyboard: A" then we have a problem)
* Check: "Use Direct Sound" for "Output device"
* Uncheck: "Use Direct Sound" for "Input device"

Once this is all done fire up Ventrilo and then execute pyvent with the command it gave you.

As of right now pyvent is constrained to whatever X display it is executed on. So if you use a separate X server to play games you'll have to launch Ventrilo, pyvent, and your game on the additional X screen. I'm attempting to get around this but ran into a snag.

Any questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

NOTE:

If you have multiple versions of python installed you'll probably have to run pyvent as follows:

python2.5 pyvent.py

It may work with previous versions, I didn't try. I know it won't work with Python3.0, however.

nzadLithium
December 4th, 2008, 09:57 AM
ah nice. I may be able to use vent again XD Or it could decide as per usual that it would rather freeze after 5 mins :p Did you upload/link this to the wine page on running vent? I think alot of users could benefit from it :D

subdancer
December 5th, 2008, 04:30 AM
nice work SBFC its workin with your script in intrpid. thx
but its not working perfect. im using a logitech G5 mouse and im using the button at the thumb as push to talk key. pyvent is echoing "2 8" for the key so it recognizes it. problem is i need to check "Use Direct Input to detect Hotkey" in ventrilo so it recognizes the button i want to use. but then pyvent isnt working anymore. if i uncheck "Use Direct Input to detect Hotkey" pyvent is working with every key exept the one i want to use :(

any ideas how to solve this?

SBFC
December 5th, 2008, 05:23 AM
I'll mess around with it and see if I can come up with anything. To be honest I forgot to test it using mouse buttons. :oops:

SBFC
December 5th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Ha. My bad. It was a mistake on my part that was quick to fix.

I've reattached the script in the original post that contained it.

subdancer
December 5th, 2008, 06:51 PM
works like a charm now :) thx alot for you work to the community, and for the quick fix :D

windows [-X
linux for the win!! :guitar:

AndersAA
December 5th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Has anyone found a program to set ventrilo hotkeys that allow input to happen at the same time?

If I have something requireing input (say text document) and I hold my push to talk button down, I can't write anything at the same time. This is really annoying me, I didn't have that limitation with early ventriloctrl versions (before the xorg 1.5 security fix that broke it).

SBFC
December 5th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Have you tried the file I uploaded on the last page? It doesn't block input.

AndersAA
December 5th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Have you tried the file I uploaded on the last page? It doesn't block input.

This has been driving me nuts for a good month now, thanks a bunch!

subdancer
December 6th, 2008, 12:03 AM
im trying to make a bash.sh script so it starts ventrilo and pyvent with one click

#!/bin/sh
wine /home/XXXX/.wine/drive_c/Programme/Ventrilo/Ventrilo.exe
python /home/XXXX/.wine/drive_c/Programme/Ventrilo/pyvent.py 4 8

when i run it it starts ventrilo but the pyvent seems not starting or atleast the button is not working. is the script code right like this?

SBFC
December 6th, 2008, 12:28 AM
im trying to make a bash.sh script so it starts ventrilo and pyvent with one click

#!/bin/sh
wine /home/XXXX/.wine/drive_c/Programme/Ventrilo/Ventrilo.exe
python /home/XXXX/.wine/drive_c/Programme/Ventrilo/pyvent.py 4 8

when i run it it starts ventrilo but the pyvent seems not starting or atleast the button is not working. is the script code right like this?

Use this:

#!/bin/sh
wine /home/XXXX/.wine/drive_c/Programme/Ventrilo/Ventrilo.exe &
sleep 10
python /home/XXXX/.wine/drive_c/Programme/Ventrilo/pyvent.py 4 8 &

The '&' lets Ventrilo run in the background so your shell script can execute more commands. Without it no other commands will execute until Ventrilo is closed.

'sleep' pauses the shell script for 10 seconds. Without this Ventrilo will not be finished loading by the time pyvent launches. pyvent will then not detect a running instance of Ventrilo and then it will exit.

AndersAA
December 6th, 2008, 09:50 AM
This is the script I use, incase anyone is interested, I use capslock, so I disable the capslock key before starting it.

#!/bin/bash
xmodmap -e "clear Lock"

amixer -c1 sset Mic,0 100%
export WINEPREFIX="$HOME/Ventrilo"

if [ "$1" == "2" ]; then
cd /home/neuron/Ventrilo/drive_c/Program\ Files/VentriloMIX
wine "Ventrilo 2.3.0.exe" &
else
cd /home/neuron/Ventrilo/drive_c/Program\ Files/Ventrilo/
wine Ventrilo.exe &
fi

PID="$!"

sleep 2
~/.bin/pyvent.py 2 66 &

wait $PID
pkill -f pyvent.py

edkuk13
December 6th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I am newish to linux. I am trying to run pyvent.py and I have acces denied. I cannot use sudo ./pyvent.py . Is there a legitimate command to do this?

MindFlayer
December 7th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I am newish to linux. I am trying to run pyvent.py and I have acces denied. I cannot use sudo ./pyvent.py . Is there a legitimate command to do this?

Don't run sudo. You only need to set pyvent.py to be executable. You do this by running "chmod +x pyvent.py" in the directory where pyvent.py is located.

edkuk13
December 7th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Thank you. That helped. Now I am having a new problem. I type in terminal : ./pyvent.py 2 37 after starting vent and it responds:

eric@husband:~$ cd /home/eric/pyvent
eric@husband:~/pyvent$ ./pyvent.py 2 37
Ventrilo found...

yet the key for left ctrl is still unactive.

SBFC
December 8th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Thank you. That helped. Now I am having a new problem. I type in terminal : ./pyvent.py 2 37 after starting vent and it responds:

Ventrilo found...

Do you mean to say that you press left ctrl and vent ppt does not activate?

Will Murray
December 8th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Ok so I used the OP's guide and have everything running etc.

But I can't talk in vent. I have my hot key set, but I can not specify my Mux or my Line as there is nothing in the drop down menus.

I quite new to ubuntu/linux as well. :(

err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} not registered
err:ole:create_server class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} not registered
fixme:ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} could be created for context 0x17
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {a910187f-0c7a-45ac-92cc-59edafb77b53} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {a910187f-0c7a-45ac-92cc-59edafb77b53} not registered
err:ole:create_server class {a910187f-0c7a-45ac-92cc-59edafb77b53} not registered
fixme:ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {a910187f-0c7a-45ac-92cc-59edafb77b53} could be created for context 0x17
fixme:richedit:RichEditWndProc_common WM_STYLECHANGING: stub
fixme:richedit:RichEditWndProc_common WM_STYLECHANGED: stub

Sammi
December 8th, 2008, 04:46 PM
@SBFC
Just tried the script out. Works like a charm :KS

SBFC
December 9th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Ok so I used the OP's guide and have everything running etc.

But I can't talk in vent. I have my hot key set, but I can not specify my Mux or my Line as there is nothing in the drop down menus.

I quite new to ubuntu/linux as well. :(

You actually don't need to specify a Mixer, Mux, or Line (least I don't). Just make sure 'User Direct Sound' above Output device is checked, Output device is set to 'Default DirectSound device', 'Use Direct Sound' above Input device is unchecked, and Input device is set to 'Default wave mapper'.

edkuk13
December 9th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I cannot even get vent to acknowlege mic when PTT is off. My icon remains red.

-my mic works in voice recorder

edkuk13
December 9th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I had no problems using vent before I upgraded 8.04 to 8.10

Sammi
December 9th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Could be regressions in Wine. Check the appdb for more updated config info: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=2169

edkuk13
December 10th, 2008, 01:36 AM
It's kinda weird. when I start vent by it self I get an error saying input is being used by another program and vent loads but does not work. When I start my internet radio and then vent the mic works and the sound does not work(no error).

edkuk13
December 11th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I fixed all my issues with World of Warcraft a:

1) clean install Ubuntu 8.10
2) followed steps file:///media/disk/Important%20Documents/Important%20Documents/http%20_www.fsckin.com_2007_12_%2020_how-to-run-world-of-%20warcraft-wow-in-linux-using-%20wine_.htm

3)followed steps for ventrilo: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9832

Thank you for your help!

captaincrook
December 22nd, 2008, 12:45 AM

Ventrilo found...

Same boat here. Will work when using a wine window, as usual.

Zackie
December 23rd, 2008, 03:11 AM
i ran the script and got this:

Required arguments not supplied so
will run findkey.

Running findkey...
Press the key or mouse button you wish to
have as your PTT and findkey will tell you
the command to execute.
Press Ctrl-C to exit.

/home/zackie/Desktop/pyvent.py 2 37

What do i need to do now?

I restarted and it worked for about 2 mins and then stopped.It had to be "IN FOCUS"or the ACTIVE APP for PTT to work as well as just the mic sensitivity talk.

SBFC
December 23rd, 2008, 06:55 AM
It told you what you should do to run pyvent.

/home/zackie/Desktop/pyvent.py 2 37

Start Ventrilo and then run pyvent with those arguments. Make sure in Ventrilo Setup that your PTT key is set to 'A' (this is the key that pyvent sends to the Ventrilo window).

Zackie
December 23rd, 2008, 08:20 AM
Rock on that seemed to work...! Thanks duder!

Zackie...:guitar:

Edit--- It worked for about 2 mins then it just stoped... Vent work i can hear people but PTT will not work. Any ideas?

SBFC
December 23rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
You're sure that pyvent is still running when it seems to quit working?

Zackie
December 23rd, 2008, 10:02 AM
yeah I run vent then open term then run what you told me it says it found Vent and i minimized the term and Vent will work for about 2 mins then it will just stop.. I won't even open anything else just trying to test vent... and it will do the same regardless.

edit--- When it does work it is on ALSA driver when i switch it to OSS i get:

Failed to open input device. Another program might have it open already. rc=-10

With OSS i can hear them they can't hear me... With ALSA I can talk to them and they can here me but only for about 2-3 mins... with nothing else open... and it staying in focus.

SBFC
December 23rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
Did you configure Ventrilo with all the settings from the original (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6304758&postcount=299) posting?

* Check: "Use Push To Talk Hotkey ( PTT Mode )"
* Uncheck: "Use Direct Input to detect Hotkey"
* Hotkey: "Keyboard: A" (if you are pushing the key that you setup in the Getting Started section, and it is not appearing as "Keyboard: A" then we have a problem)
* Check: "Use Direct Sound" for "Output device"
* Uncheck: "Use Direct Sound" for "Input device"

Reason I ask is because you noted Ventrilo has to have the focus to work (which pyvent is supposed to work around).

Zackie
December 23rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
Yeah, I have all of those settings and it just seems not to want to work...:(

Edit--- Usually when i restart or wait about 1-2 hours it will work with out it being "in focus" when I first start it and it does work I load another app (such as a game) to see if it work in that game, but to no avail. However, when I restart to refresh it works with terminal open and i can put the Terminal in focus and use ctrl and it will work with vent for about 2 mins then quit... :(

2nd Edit---- So i get up today and the CTRL worked great i changed nothing but the sound is not there i can hear when i log in and out in vent but i can not hear others talking.After about 5 mins this time CTRL stoped working... And still no sound:(

captaincrook
December 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Hmm well I can say that for me, the settings are pretty much identical. I noticed that holding/hammering my ptt key (which is shift btw) RARELY (stress) gets a response, but the light stays green. So I must "focus" on Ventrilo (or a wine window at that) to "release" the key. Too many quotes and parenthesis I know. Anyways, if its any problem, I use OSS for wine, in the aoss wrapper. ALSA produces garbled sound with the mic and sounds in vent, but OSS works like a treat. As for now, pyvent just doesn't work unless a wine window is focused.

Zackie
December 25th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Thats about what mine is doing too.

SBFC
December 29th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Not sure if this is what is causing your problem but I found it interesting: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1024363

europa
December 30th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Not sure if this is what is causing your problem but I found it interesting: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1024363

This is not the same issue. I had this same issue though and got it to work with these settings:

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/4296/screenshotwineconfigurauh6.png

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/5738/screenshotsetup304win32ql3.png

I also tried to install the windows98 version of ventrilo but I was having issues with uninstalling the winxp version so i'm not sure if that took or not.

Let me know what works for you.

captaincrook
January 4th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I had Direct Input disabled, but it won't work either way on or off. Are there any other things that need to be run and/or installed? Using Hardy, dunno if I mentioned that.

champton
January 12th, 2009, 01:13 AM
When I loaded vent before, all I would get from the devices on the setup screen is "default" for both input and output. If this is the same for you, read on...

Step 1) Make sure you can record and playback a message in Ubuntu's default Sound Recorder... Applications -> Sound & Video -> Sound Recorder. If you can't, then your mic isn't working correctly. Try adjusting settings in alsamixer from the command line.

Step 2) sudo apt-get remove Pulseaudio... This is a key factor for the issue I was having, it's blocking at least vent if not wine itself from seeing real alsa devices. I restarted my machine after doing this just to make sure it was shutdown. If you kill both pulseaudio processes you should be fine. NOTE: When removing this package I noticed it asked if I wanted to remove pulseaudio and ubuntu-desktop. I just hit enter and didn't have a problem afterwards. I assume the ubuntu-desktop in that particular package is just the gui interface for pulseaudio.

Step 3) winecfg -> Audio -> Check only Alsa then check Driver Emulation

Step 4) Load Vent Setup, you should now see d:mix and d:snoop for the devices, select them and do not check the direct sound for either one. Also uncheck Play Key Clicks, not only is that annoying but it also seems to interfear with the outgoing audio from being played.

Hope this helps someone out there.

FiskFisk33
January 22nd, 2009, 07:29 PM
i have your symptoms champton, but theres no pulseaudio installed :(

actually, when i press the monitor button, there should come up numbers in that list, but nothing happens.

kzersatz
January 22nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
are all of you trying to use Ventrilo ver3?

has anybody tested running the last release of Ventrilo v2?

FiskFisk33
January 22nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
not an option for me...

kzersatz
January 22nd, 2009, 08:31 PM
mmm
last i checked ver3 wasnt a requirement for connecting to most servers

i may be mistaken though
:(

h4mx0r
January 22nd, 2009, 11:51 PM
I don't get the whole deal about sound apps. I mean there's that pulseaudio/alsa thing going on then you see apps like pidgin which don't want to add sound support. So basically everyone is generally crap at coding audio apps I suppose. A GPL app that bridged the gap between teamspeak and ventrilo with crossplatform support could easily crush all opposition in usage spectrum. I heard there was a current GPL app called mumble. If anyone wants to write a wrapper to connect mumble to teamspeak or ventrilo servers feel free to do so.

Lederallergie
January 26th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Sorry if this has been posted already, but I have a problem where everything works fine in ventrilo until i try to speak, that all the sound in vent dies and I have to restart it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Zoquara
January 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I'm having problems getting things set up... I have Wine 1.1.13, Ubuntu 8.04, and the most current Ventrilo for Windows (3.0.4) and can get no sound in Vent at all.

On the Ventrilo downloads page, I noticed "Third party utilities // Linux Ventrilo Script (Version 2.1.0_02)" What's that for? Would it be useful, or no idea?

Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions.... I just started using Ubuntu last night :???:

boogarat
January 30th, 2009, 12:05 AM
This would be an amazingly useful forum thread on how to install Ventrilo in Ubuntu if I wasn't a linux nub and don't understand the first 3 steps .... if anyone could update me I'd greatly appreciate a more thorough explanation on steps 1-3

flinstonex
February 8th, 2009, 11:10 PM
So every time i want to run ventrilo i need to type this into a terminal?

cd ~/ventrilo
wine ./Ventrilo.exe

Is there any way to create a desktop icon?

please and thanks.

Also, i dont understand step one

1. Add the extra repositores from the Unnoffical Ubuntu Guide:
Code:

http://www.ubuntuguide.org/#repositories

Can someone help me with this, i don't understand what i'm supposed to do for step one.

Sammi
February 9th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Also, i dont understand step one

Can someone help me with this, i don't understand what i'm supposed to do for step one.
[/EDIT]That link is dead. You want this: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Intrepid#Add_Extra_Ubuntu_Repositories

atalon
February 21st, 2009, 04:06 PM
I realize this is a ubuntu forum but was hoping to get this to work in Fedora 10. I have the python and lib ver. mentioned and I get the follow message:

# ./pyvent.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./pyvent.py", line 182, in <module>
main()
File "./pyvent.py", line 129, in main
ctx = RECORD_DSP.record_create_context(
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Xlib/display.py", line 218, in __getattr__
raise AttributeError(attr)
AttributeError: record_create_context

Synthuir
March 10th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Alright, I installed Ventrilo on Wine once, and it didn't work. I re-installed it following the exact directions above, and it worked!... For 2 days. Now whenever I log on, it says "Failed to get coder for specific codec." I can still log in, but I cannot hear nor speak whatsoever. I'm assuming the codec has something to do with the speakers/ microphone, but not sure exactly what could be wrong. Can somebody help me? Thanks.

Also, we should lobby for an Ubuntu Ventrilo :/

SBFC
March 11th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I realize this is a ubuntu forum but was hoping to get this to work in Fedora 10. I have the python and lib ver. mentioned and I get the follow message:

# ./pyvent.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./pyvent.py", line 182, in <module>
main()
File "./pyvent.py", line 129, in main
ctx = RECORD_DSP.record_create_context(
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Xlib/display.py", line 218, in __getattr__
raise AttributeError(attr)
AttributeError: record_create_context

I think this may be what you're looking for.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=211662

Alethenorio
March 15th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I have been able to use ventrilo with speex codec pretty good for the most part (Because wine has a bug that doesn't allow GSM to work) and also PTT works when running some games (But doesnt when trying to speaking and browsing off of a proper ubuntu window like firefox or such).

I am having one real annoying problem though. I am using a Logitech MX518 mouse which has an application button on top of the scroll wheel. Running Xev shows that ubuntu recognizes that as mouse button 10 however I am able to use every single button out of my mouse when setting up PTT hotkey except for that one. Ventrilo will recognize all my mouse buttons except for that one button which is the one I usually use for PTT.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem might be?

Also any valid tips for Ubuntu 8.10 are welcome (Such as is ventriloctrl still in development and working? Is it possible to disable the side button from going back and forth through page on firefox).

Thanks

Alethenorio
March 29th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Has nobody encountered this problem whatsoever?

I have gone through countless guides including this one

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=65471&highlight=LOGITECH+MX

The application button seems to be recognized fine under ubuntu (At least when testing in the lamp icon under mouse preferences it is being recognized) however under the Ventrillo setup clicking on the application button to set it as PTT does nothing whatsoever. I am not sure whether it is not being recognized by wine or ventrillo itself.

Going crazy here.

mendres
April 2nd, 2009, 07:15 PM
I have Ubuntu 9.04 Beta installed, now tryed to get the script to work. Started ./pyvent but doesn't recognize any keypress. Any solution for this?

Of course, python and python-xlib installed.

innocente
April 9th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Hey There,

i notied a little problem with this tython script :\

if i try to set keys wich aren't "repeating" keys, like CTRL, ALT, SHIFT then it doesn't work. in this case i works only if i activate the ventrilo window, or i move the mouse over the window.

Could you please fix this python script to accept keys like Left and Right ctrl, alt, shift, tab etc..

Ty

SBFC
April 9th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Hey There,

i notied a little problem with this tython script :\

if i try to set keys wich aren't "repeating" keys, like CTRL, ALT, SHIFT then it doesn't work. in this case i works only if i activate the ventrilo window, or i move the mouse over the window.

Could you please fix this python script to accept keys like Left and Right ctrl, alt, shift, tab etc..

Ty

Are you saying it doesn't work with any of those keys or those keys in combination? I myself use alt so there shouldn't be a problem with any of those.

SBFC
April 9th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I have Ubuntu 9.04 Beta installed, now tryed to get the script to work. Started ./pyvent but doesn't recognize any keypress. Any solution for this?

It may be something in 9.04 but as I haven't upgraded (and don't plan to anytime soon) I have no way of testing.

You may like to try the original ventriloctrl as the only reason I made pyvent was because ventriloctrl didn't work in Ubuntu 8.10. Maybe it'll work with 9.04.

Dekafox
April 27th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I'm running 8.04 64-bit, wine 1.1.20, and Ventrillo 3.01. The issue doesn't seem to be a problem with vent per se, but maybe in communication?

I"m running it with padsp so it plays nice with WoW, which it does. If I plug in a analog jack mic, it works. The problem is I just was given MS Livechat USB headphones.

After a little bit of research (and installation of PulseAudio Device Chooser) I was able to get the headphone potion working fine. The issue I'm having now is with the mic part.

For Output I have PulseAudio Virtual OSS selected, which as I said works fine. Under Input device, I now see "Default wave mapper" "Pulseaudio Virtual OSS" and "USB Mixer". The second one is my analog jack apparently, as that's what I used before. The last one is the new headphones. Now here's where it gets weird.

I can go into setup, and hit Monitor, and see feedback when I talk into it, showing Vent is seeing it. The Volume Meter for Recording from PA device chooser shows also when I talk into it. If I input:
arecord -f S16_LE | aplay
I hear the echo properly. However, as soon as I connect to the actual server I get:
Failed to open input device. Another program might have it open already. rc = -1

As far as I can tell though, nothing should have it locked open. Help?

kaotic2
May 4th, 2009, 11:16 PM

I'm having the same problem with 9.04- Has anyone found a way to fix this?

Waste
May 16th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Having the same issue with the script.
It doesn't recognoze any keyboard or mouse input at all.
Any possible way to manually enter the key/mouse button you wish to use?

SBFC
May 18th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Having the same issue with the script.
It doesn't recognoze any keyboard or mouse input at all.
Any possible way to manually enter the key/mouse button you wish to use?

Yes, you could. But it wouldn't matter. The part of the script that detects your button/mouse presses and then tells you the keycode behaves the same way as the part of the script that detects button/mouse presses to notify vent.

Waste
May 18th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Yes, you could. But it wouldn't matter. The part of the script that detects your button/mouse presses and then tells you the keycode behaves the same way as the part of the script that detects button/mouse presses to notify vent.

Bah, well I got the ventriloctrl to detect my keypresses but as soon as I lose focus on vent it fails to work again. I think it may have something to do with the hotkey I use which is my "forward" button on my mouse but the script didn't work on any other key on my keyboard either. This is following both install procedures mentioned with ventriloctrl.

Kam20
May 24th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Ok im trying to install vent and i follow the process listed above and i get stuck on step 5...this is what i get in the terminal

kelly@kelly:~/ventrilo$ ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system.ini
bash: /home/kelly/.wine/drive_c/windows/system.ini: Permission denied

am i doing something wrong?

Falc7
May 25th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Hi, i installed vent, everything seems to be working, PTT turns green ect, but ventrilo isen't using the microphone. So when i hear people talking, its through the speakers not my usb headset, and therefore they cna't hear me either, because ventrilo isen't using the headset.
Can anyone help?

aquaspeeder
May 25th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I have a question about an issue that I've seen pop up on winehq and, I think, the ventrilo forums but I haven't found much information on it or any fixes.

The problem I'm having is that whenever someone tries to amplify their inbound vent settings or they try to turn up my individual volume, then one of two things happens. Either I come thru as unbearable static or they'll hear half a word then I drop off into silence. The server is using speex, I've got Direct sound options checked in ventrilo options and hardware accel set to full, driver emulation checked in winecfg. My mic sounds just fine on my own system so I'm not sure what's causing this. Is this normal for everyone? Is it my onboard sound? A lot of people seem to turn up their inbound and I, reportedly, come thru as quiet so I end up having to explain this issue quite often.

blueadept
June 2nd, 2009, 06:36 PM
I think teamspeak is being recommended as it already has a native linux client, and it's always better to support native software first.

One note on this method is it must be very cpu intensive because everything stutters with ventrilo running when I play in game (tested ET, Quake3, Doom3) and I have an AMD64 3500+ which handles evertything else I throw at it. So this is still not real solution until we get a native binary (or source) for linux.

I don't know why Flagship is worried about their code... they can release a binary on Linux the same as on Windows... I don't see how it's differnet, but I can answer the CPU issue... it's not CPU, it's ventrillo messing with the screen and wine while your game is full screen, you can solve this problem by running Ventrilo on a virtual screen... set up another user to install ventrilo in, and run "vncserver" in that user... then you can open up a virtual screen and run ventrilo there as a different user and a different copy of wine... then all will work much smoother.. you can also get a small app called "ventriloctrl" (I forget where from, but I'm sure google will know) that allows you to bind a PTT key and pass it into the wine virtual machine so that you can use PTT with vent under wine.... when I was playing wow, I found this worked very well.. although it's a little tedius to set up... we just need to harass flagship for a Linux version...

Shadowfaux
June 8th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Ok im trying to install vent and i follow the process listed above and i get stuck on step 5...this is what i get in the terminal

kelly@kelly:~/ventrilo$ ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system.ini
bash: /home/kelly/.wine/drive_c/windows/system.ini: Permission denied

am i doing something wrong?

Instead of "~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system.ini" in the first line, try "sudo [name of text editor] ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system.ini" and see if that does any better.

ExplicitViper
June 16th, 2009, 05:52 AM
i keep getting this error. can anyone tell me how to fix it?

Failed to get encoder for specified Codec.

Unable to initialize outbound codec (GSM 6.10 - 44 KHz, 16 bit): Unable to find the specified codec

willemuk
June 21st, 2009, 07:47 AM
Hi, i installed vent, everything seems to be working, PTT turns green ect, but ventrilo isen't using the microphone. So when i hear people talking, its through the speakers not my usb headset, and therefore they cna't hear me either, because ventrilo isen't using the headset.
Can anyone help?

Open up the Pulseaudio Device Chooser. Go to the 'volume control'. Do this while vent is running. Click the little arrow and hoover over 'Move Stream'. Choose you usb headset.
Now you should be sorted.

You can do this for every application seperate, music over your speakers via Mplayer, music over your headset while listening to youtube etc.

Enjoy

geekygirl
June 29th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Unable to initialize outbound codec (GSM 6.10 - 44 KHz, 16 bit): Unable to find the specified codec

It just means that the server your are connecting to with your client requires that codec to be installed in order for you to use Vent.

Mac has the same problem - it requires the Speex codec, but it needs to be installed on the server not the client end. (Speex sounds terrible compared to GSM 6.10 IMO as well lol)

manji_kun
June 29th, 2009, 11:57 PM
this made it easy for me, a newbie to Linux to keep up with guildies from WoW it was so simple, it's almost as if you intended it for mac users :-p

reiki
July 12th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Or you can just go get a cheap mini laptop and run Vent on that while you game in Wine on your main machine.

:-)

Iksf
August 1st, 2009, 10:28 PM
Mumble ftw

fraktik
August 10th, 2009, 02:33 PM

Solution is easy: copy file msgsm32.acm to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/ (in older version was in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system/, so move it. If is it dont enought, then:

#gedit ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system.ini
ad this to [drivers32] section (end of file)
MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm

* the file msgsm32.acm come from Win (usualy on patch C:/WINDOWS/system32/msgsm32.acm)

Here is some full english instalation text for cedega:
Lets do some changes to the ventrilo install
- Using Konqueror or similar, navigate to the fake Windows files used by Cedega for Ventrilo. In my case this is,
~/.cedega/Ventrilo/c_drive/windows
- Open up the system.ini file using your favourite text editor (KEdit) and add the following line to the bottom of the script in the Drivers 32 section
MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm
[img_assist|fid=11|thumb=0|alt=ventrilo and linux step 4]
- You have just told Ventrilo to use the MicroSoft GSM610 codec file called msgsm32.acm - this file won't have shipped with your Linux distro so go get it from somewhere and copy it to ~/.cedega/Ventrilo/c_drive/windows/system32:
cp /mnt/win/Windows/system32/msgsm32.acm ~/.cedega/Ventrilo/c_drive/windows/system32/
then change the permissions so users can use it
chmod a+r msgsm32.acm
- Your done in here so save and close all those windows.
from http://www.slinux.net/how-to-install-ventrilo-2-3-on-linux

8Kuula
August 13th, 2009, 09:27 AM
H!

I get this error when i connect to ventrilo server:
"Unable to initalize outbound codec (GSM 6.10 - 11025 Hz, 16bit): Unable to open codec stream, Code = 8"

I have done:
- zero modifications, wine 1.1.27 should have needed files & changes, or so i did understand from patch notes.
- copied/moved msgsm32.acm file to ../windows/system/, ../windows/system32/ and ..windows/ directories. (not same time, but did try all those directories)
- edited system.ini to add line "MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm" and commented out that wine 1.1.27 line, whitch is lowercase "msacm. ..."
- reinstalled ventrilo with default ~/.wine directory (aka did move ~/.wine other location and did install ventrilo, and did try same tricks as listed above)

yet no luck :(

Using Ubuntu 9.04-64bit, wine v1.1.27, Ventrilo 2.1.4

What im missing? :confused:
These measures have worked before.

Feels like ventrilo won't find that file for some reason, but no clue how to check that.

#Peter
August 13th, 2009, 10:57 AM
H!

I get this error when i connect to ventrilo server:
"Unable to initalize outbound codec (GSM 6.10 - 11025 Hz, 16bit): Unable to open codec stream, Code = 8"

I have done:
- zero modifications, wine 1.1.27 should have needed files & changes, or so i did understand from patch notes.
- copied/moved msgsm32.acm file to ../windows/system/, ../windows/system32/ and ..windows/ directories. (not same time, but did try all those directories)
- edited system.ini to add line "MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm" and commented out that wine 1.1.27 line, whitch is lowercase "msacm. ..."
- reinstalled ventrilo with default ~/.wine directory (aka did move ~/.wine other location and did install ventrilo, and did try same tricks as listed above)

yet no luck :(

Using Ubuntu 9.04-64bit, wine v1.1.27, Ventrilo 2.1.4

What im missing? :confused:
These measures have worked before.

Feels like ventrilo won't find that file for some reason, but no clue how to check that.

I'm having this exact problem. It used to work and now suddenly it just gives that error. Feels like I've tried everything =/

menikamatii
August 15th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I'm having this exact problem. It used to work and now suddenly it just gives that error. Feels like I've tried everything =/

me to.

i can hear, i can hear xmit button, but no one can hear me.
64 bit linux. usb mic.

http://start.ubuntu.com/9.04/
*EDIT* i figured mine out. for some reason front mic was muted.

top right click the volume icon next to time/date then hit volume control. turn yor mic up and make sure its not muted.

#Peter
August 15th, 2009, 11:17 AM
me to.

i can hear, i can hear xmit button, but no one can hear me.
64 bit linux. usb mic.

http://start.ubuntu.com/9.04/
*EDIT* i figured mine out. for some reason front mic was muted.

top right click the volume icon next to time/date then hit volume control. turn yor mic up and make sure its not muted.

No my mic wasnt muted... As soon as I hit connect it says "Unable to initialize outbound codec (GSM 6.10 - 11025 Hz, 16 bit): Unable to open codec stream. Code = 8"

According to ventrilos own faq it is because the settings to the codecs are messed up... But I don't think I changed anything from the point it worked, so it's really weird.

Watch
August 16th, 2009, 10:46 AM
No my mic wasnt muted... As soon as I hit connect it says &quot;Unable to initialize outbound codec (GSM 6.10 - 11025 Hz, 16 bit): Unable to open codec stream. Code = 8&quot;

According to ventrilos own faq it is because the settings to the codecs are messed up... But I don't think I changed anything from the point it worked, so it's really weird.

Ventrilo's FAQ does not list this error, but rather the -8 error

I'm having the same problem.
Also this shows in console when the error occurs
err:gsm:GSM_DriverProc libgsm support not compiled in! I suppose they forgot to include libgsm in the compile...

#Peter
August 18th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Ventrilo's FAQ does not list this error, but rather the -8 error

I'm having the same problem.
Also this shows in console when the error occurs
err:gsm:GSM_DriverProc libgsm support not compiled in! I suppose they forgot to include libgsm in the compile...
Oh ok, yeah my terminal gives that same error...
and also [BUMP]

tank110
August 19th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I had the exact same problem.

Try going into winecfg, select the Libraries tab

Add new library, select msgsm32.acm from the drop down

Hit Edit, then select the Native(Windows) button.

This seems to have done the trick for me, good luck.

#Peter
August 19th, 2009, 04:21 PM

"Unable to initalize outbound codec (GSM 6.10 - 11025 Hz, 16bit): Unable to open codec stream, Code = 8"Try going into winecfg, select the Libraries tab

Yes! That did it! Thanks man :)

YokoZar
August 22nd, 2009, 08:49 PM
I've uploaded my 1.1.28 packages for Ubuntu (9.04 is already built, 8.10
and 8.04 are still building as I write this). One of the fixes in this
package is to build with support for libgsm, a new feature in Wine that
allows Ventrilo support out of the box.

However, this will only work on 32-bit Ubuntu at this time, as there is
no 32 bit version of this library available on Ubuntu 64. I've already
fixed this in the development version (Ubuntu 9.10) and the "wine1.2"
package there.

As far as I know the only application affected is Ventrilo. So just to
conclude:

Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, 9.04 32 bit with Wine 1.1.28 or higher: Vent works.
Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, 9.04 64 bit: Vent doesn't work.
Ubuntu 9.10 with wine1.2 package: Vent works.

Note that the "wine1.2" package is just the current Wine beta:
http://yokozar.org/blog/archives/103

YokoZar
August 22nd, 2009, 08:51 PM

Try going into winecfg, select the Libraries tab

Note that this may still work on 64 bit Ubuntu (because you're using windows gsm codec rather than Wine's built in one, the one that's broken on 64 bit Ubuntu before 9.10)

meltedblt
September 5th, 2009, 10:42 PM

"Unable to initalize outbound codec (GSM 6.10 - 11025 Hz, 16bit): Unable to open codec stream, Code = 8"Try going into winecfg, select the Libraries tab

I've had the exact same problems, but while this solves the issue of the error code, I'm still unable to hear anything in Ventrilo as soon as I open any other program that could use sound, whether it be a music player or WoW or anything. This whole affair is giving me quite the headache.

Coralin
September 8th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Well; I've followed the guide and gone through this thread, but can't see anyone else asking- I'm trying to get TTS working in Vent; others on the server (using windows) are able to hear it, but I'm getting nothing. The only thing I can see that may help explain it is in the vent settings, on the Speech tab- Above the "Play text-to-speech..." checkbox, there's a line of text that seems to be cut off, that says "The Microsoft Text-to-speech library is not"

Any suggestions?

Arminius
September 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I've managed to get wine to install fine, and it's connected to the servor fine.
and I'm heading audio, just not over the headphones with the mic.

I went to system/preferences/sound
and set everything to usb logitech headset
but each time I bring up vent all I can hear is people over the original PC speakers

warpasylum
September 15th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Hey guys,
Installed this to my system running Jaunty with wine 1.0.1-0ubuntu6 and it runs perfectly out of the box following the original post. Only had to mess with the settings of my sound card a little. Thanks. :guitar:

ajax111
September 26th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Hello all. I get this error as well:

>Failed to get encoder for specified Codec.

>Unable to initialize outbound codec (GSM 6.10 - 44 KHz, 16 bit): Unable to find the specified codec.

I am running Ubuntu 9.04 and Wine 1.01
I am super new to Linux.
So far I have installed Ventrillo (obviously) and successfully connected to the server. But can not hear or be heard and my PTT (left Alt) key does not work
I have gone through my Volume Settings, unmuted the mic and such
Gone to Applications>Wine configuration>Audio and selected the default (ALSA Driver)
Then to Applications>Wine configuration>Libraries and could not find the file "msgsm32.acm"

All the instructions I can find in this thread to replace that file or copy it, seem to be focused on Cedega and not Wine. Can someone help clarify the steps I need to take to acquire the missing "msgsm32.acm" file and where to place it once I do get it. Then when I've got that fixed what do I do to get my PTT button to work? And when I'm playing an MMORPG how do I set it up that the PTT button will work in conjunction with it? Thanks in advance.

Sammi
September 27th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Hello all. I get this error as well:

>Failed to get encoder for specified Codec.

>Unable to initialize outbound codec (GSM 6.10 - 44 KHz, 16 bit): Unable to find the specified codec.

I am running Ubuntu 9.04 and Wine 1.01
I am super new to Linux.
So far I have installed Ventrillo (obviously) and successfully connected to the server. But can not hear or be heard and my PTT (left Alt) key does not work
I have gone through my Volume Settings, unmuted the mic and such
Gone to Applications>Wine configuration>Audio and selected the default (ALSA Driver)
Then to Applications>Wine configuration>Libraries and could not find the file "msgsm32.acm"

All the instructions I can find in this thread to replace that file or copy it, seem to be focused on Cedega and not Wine. Can someone help clarify the steps I need to take to acquire the missing "msgsm32.acm" file and where to place it once I do get it. Then when I've got that fixed what do I do to get my PTT button to work? And when I'm playing an MMORPG how do I set it up that the PTT button will work in conjunction with it? Thanks in advance.Dude read what Yodozar is saying. Just update Wine to the newest version: http://www.winehq.org/download/deb

Mandraix
September 28th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Even when I ran both on Windows XP, TeamSpeak had more delay than Vent.

Duskao
September 30th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Hey guys. I have got Ventrilo working pretty much perfect, except for PTT. I set it up using the guide in winehq.org. It is showing that the button is working fine in ventrilo, my little speaker lights up green when I press the button, but nobody can hear me. I used audacity to see if my mic is working and it is. It's quiet, but it is working.
I'm fairly new to Ventrilo so if someone could let me know the things I need to have checked or unchecked in the setup part that would be great.
Oh, I can hear everyone else in my guild talk.

Oh yeah, I'm using wine 1.1.30.

Tr10
October 2nd, 2009, 01:06 AM
Hey guys. I have got Ventrilo working pretty much perfect, except for PTT. I set it up using the guide in winehq.org. It is showing that the button is working fine in ventrilo, my little speaker lights up green when I press the button, but nobody can hear me. I used audacity to see if my mic is working and it is. It's quiet, but it is working.
I'm fairly new to Ventrilo so if someone could let me know the things I need to have checked or unchecked in the setup part that would be great.

I am experiencing the same problem.

I have been using vent for years, yet I recently moved over to linux. I have been using ubuntu 8.10 for a little over 6 months. Ventrilo was working perfectly with PTT and a handy python script to let me use it while working. Ever seen I upgraded to wine 1.1.30 I have experienced the same problem described above. Ventrilo will let me talk for 4-6 seconds, then "Freeze" and prevent anyone from hearing me while displaying to me the green microphone stating that I am transmitting.

The only way to talk again is to open setup or restart vent.

I have read that this might be related to OSS and/or ALSA but I have never had a problem like this until I upgraded.

Any ideas?
Thanks for the input.

astendra
October 19th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Ventrilo will let me talk for 4-6 seconds, then "Freeze" and prevent anyone from hearing me while displaying to me the green microphone stating that I am transmitting.

The only way to talk again is to open setup or restart vent.

I was able to fix this issue by disabling DirectSound in the ventrilo setup menu.

Lerena
October 25th, 2009, 02:08 AM
I installed Ventrilo under Wine today, because I wanted to join a conversation my friend was having. As it turns out, I'm having difficulty getting my microphone to work. I checked with my dad since he's fairly good at this sort of thing and he couldn't get it to work either.

I'm not sure where to post this issue, but the main problem IS getting my microphone to work in Vent so I'll try this thread.

-My microphone is plugged in well and in the correct place
-I checked my volume to make sure it was enabled
-I tested in my settings to make sure it worked
-I even recorded myself in the sound recorder, but nothing recorded.
-I turned DirectSound off and an error popped up.

I can't be completely sure that my microphone doesn't work just yet, but that is what I believe. However, I want to make sure before going out and buying a new one. I'm using a cheap headset and my microphone worked until I switched to Ubuntu. I'm clueless how to get it working now.

Any suggestions or advice for me? I'm new to Ubuntu so please speak in newbie terms for me.

Rayve
October 26th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Lerena,

Have you checked to make sure your sound isn't muted, either via your headphones or in vent? I've had it before and not realize it. Also, did you change your settings in System > Preferences > Sound for your headphone/mic to work?

Good luck!

Lerena
October 30th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Maybe I didn't change my settings in system preferences. Where in my system sound preferences do I enable the microphone?

sunfire
October 30th, 2009, 03:31 PM

I had some problems with working mic after pulseaudio update in 9.10 beta with wine 1.1.30 to 1.1.32. My mic stopped working.

But after removing PULSEAUDIO and making
[X] Use Direct Sound -> [ ] Use Direct Sound , from Ventrillo setup my mic started working fine again.

Unhumanje
November 13th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I followed all the steps from the winehq guide,but upon connecting to a server I get this:
Unable to activate DirectSound for selected device.
DirectSoundCaptureCreate failed. HR=DSERR_NODRIVER. No sound driver is available for use.
Any ideas on a fix?Doesn't allow me to use my microphone,even though it's working perfectly in the ubuntu sound test.

p.s. I'm running ubuntu 9.10 and unfortunately I removed pulseaudio as the winehq recommended,so now I can't even start preferences-> Sound :X
Though mic still works in skype.

clearscreen
November 19th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, better safe than sorry ;)

There is no longer a need to run Ventrilo through Wine! We have been working on an open-source alternative to this problem: Mangler (http://www.mangler.org).

Mangler 1.0 will be released on the 1st of december, but there are already packages for our first release candidate and with a second release candidate being released this friday.

Current features include but not limited to:

Connecting to Ventrilo 3.x servers
Keyboard push to talk
Mouse button push to talk
Speex and GSM support
Per-user volume controls
Notification sound effects
Setting your comment and URL

I encourage anyone that wants to connect to ventrilo servers from Ubuntu (or any other Linux distro for that matter) to try. You won't be disappointed :)

Packages for various distributions and/or instructions for building from subversion can be found on our download page (http://www.mangler.org/download/).

Alatar1
November 19th, 2009, 08:37 PM
My vent works just fine, im on jaunty, with wine 1.1.33 and i use direct sound, sounds great!
By the way try to ensure that whatever server your on uses the "Speex" codec, It works with linux as well as mac. Sounds fantastic to me. :)

I just downloaded vent, ran the installer through wine, and made sure to annoy my server admin to use speex, and it works spectacularly, and by the way, teamspeak my have a native linux client, but it sound like garbage in my all my experiences using it. and ventrilo servers have to be paid for.
Pretty much assures that you get proffessional tech support for vent servers and excellent sound quality.

*edit*
Oh and can anyone get me that script to people to use PTT when its not themain window, It works when running behind WoW and other games just fine, but not behind anything else, only issue ive ever had with vent.

Vistro
December 1st, 2009, 10:38 PM
Don't know if this has already been said, but upgrading to WINE1.2 removes the need for the winelib and winelib-asla packages, and it seems that the driver comes with WINE now.

aarons6
December 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM
there is a native client now.. check out http://www.mangler.org/

farfrael
February 7th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Hello,

Ventrilo installed successfully with wine.
microphone works fine but having some issues with the focus.

tried using both pyvent.py and ventriloctrl, recompiled the X server to make sure the record extension is installed and loaded.

Either script launches but they do not detect any key press.
I tried using /dev/input/eventx (with x from 1 to 3) but still no success

somewhat stumped at this point ... what else did I miss that would be required for the key detection to work? Using x server 1.6.3

any help would be much appreciated

[SOLVED] was a permission problem. Now working fine

deaxd
May 9th, 2010, 11:14 AM

Unable to initialize outbound codec (GSM 6.10 - 22 KHz, 16 bit): Unable to find the specified codec.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, and Wine 1.0.1, Ventrilo 3.0.5. There's no sound on games and ventrilo,..

Bugs:
1348 RegisterHotKey and UnregisterHotKey are not implemented. (Affects e.g. Adobe Photoshop.) NEW View
5178 Ventrilo loses talk ability while using Push-To-Talk option NEW View
5623 GetAsyncKeyState wrong if querying process doesn't have focus NEW View
5924 Ventrilo error when multiple people talk NEW View
8103 Ventrilo list does not draw correctly at times NEW View
10495 Wine should support PulseAudio NEW View
13500 ventrilo only supports half duplex UNCONFIRMED View
16600 Ventrilo starts having a long delay after some time

What works
Everything works using Speex codec

What does not
Any other codec

What was not tested
Nothing

Additional Comments
As long as you use Speex, it works fine. Can't get GSM 6.10 to work.

//from http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9832

Kmus
May 25th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Thank you aarons6 Mangler (http://www.mangler.org/) is just what I need it.

It works great :P
(http://www.mangler.org/)

SamuelDinnadge
May 25th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Awesome post!

schtufbox
May 26th, 2010, 11:08 PM
there is a native client now.. check out http://www.mangler.org/
Excellent stuff, thanks.

AlmightyMokona
June 30th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Check out Mumble guys, I much prefer it to vent. Better quality, open source, better latency.

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Installing_Mumble