PDA

View Full Version : ZDNet says "Linux Desktop is Dead"!

DC@DR
November 8th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Check this link out: http://www.silicon.com/ciojury/0,3800003161,39163932,00.htm. I feel so sad since very few CIOs trust in the future of Linux desktop. This will definitely make our fight against M$ on corporate battle harder, no, much harder, actually! :(

K.Mandla
November 8th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Bah. Somehow a jury that includes the head of IT for Amtrak doesn't hold much water for me.

Gargamella
November 8th, 2006, 05:37 PM
it doesn't tell you why it is dead ... he says "you have too many options..."

linux users are still growing in number and a project like ubuntu is taking thousands of people to linux...i don't think it is dead, maybe it isn't shiny and not so advertised as Mac and MS do.

DC@DR
November 8th, 2006, 05:37 PM
But CIOs do control the IT budgets for corporates...One thing I agree with those guys in the article is that Linux is somehow too fragemented, IMHO. I wish all Linux developers can come and join together to work on just ONE distribution, and that distro can be shipped with both KDE & GNOME as default options. I think it's because of we have too many distros, giant vendors like Dell or HP don't know which is the best distro they should preinstall as OEM. :(. I know GNU/Linux, FOSS are all about FREE choices, but it will make us stronger as a whole community then being fragmented as it is now...

grte
November 8th, 2006, 05:44 PM
But CIOs do control the IT budgets for corporates...One thing I agree with those guys in the article is that Linux is somehow too fragemented, IMHO. I wish all Linux developers can come and join together to work on just ONE distribution, and that distro can be shipped with both KDE & GNOME as default options. I think it's because of we have too many distros, giants vendors like Dell or HP doesn't know which is the best distro they should preinstall as OEM. :(. I know GNU/Linux, FOSS are all about FREE choices, but it will make us stronger as a whole community then being fragmented as it is now...

Uhh...I don't see how. Linux thrives on innovation - That would put a significant damper on that.

DoctorMO
November 8th, 2006, 05:47 PM
The community isn't fragmented it's just free, and freedom produces these kinds of results. without many projects doing the same thing you'd never get the best results.

We're not windows we're not attempting to make one unified desktop. we're a group of people all using similar technoledgies. because these people can't think in terms of standards, protocols, formats etc. freedom has never stoped the server side getting together all it took was down stream zippers.

boban
November 8th, 2006, 05:48 PM
The community isn't fragmented it's just free, and freedom produces these kinds of results. without many projects doing the same thing you'd never get the best results.

We're not windows we're not attempting to make one unified desktop. we're a group of people all using similar technoledgies. because these people can't think in terms of standards, protocols, formats etc. freedom has never stoped the server side getting together all it took was down stream zippers.
Amen!

skirkpatrick
November 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM
That article may be true in the UK & US but I think you'll see a big impact from the supposed "third world". To me, it looks like China, Brazil, India, etc. are going to push Linux very hard at both the server and desktop level and the rest of the world is going to be playing catch-up.

dca
November 8th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Linux on the server is still growing. As long is it continues to do so versus paying $1,115.00 for a Windows server license, I'm happy...

:D see!

DC@DR
November 8th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Anyway, I think Ubuntu is going to the right direction, it focuses on the desktop market and tries to make end-user life as easy as possible. That's why it keeps staying No.1 Desktop Linux distro and I respect what Ubuntu devs are offering the Linux community now :)

shining
November 8th, 2006, 06:44 PM
But CIOs do control the IT budgets for corporates...One thing I agree with those guys in the article is that Linux is somehow too fragemented, IMHO. I wish all Linux developers can come and join together to work on just ONE distribution, and that distro can be shipped with both KDE & GNOME as default options. I think it's because of we have too many distros, giant vendors like Dell or HP don't know which is the best distro they should preinstall as OEM. :(. I know GNU/Linux, FOSS are all about FREE choices, but it will make us stronger as a whole community then being fragmented as it is now...

Why would you just keep one distribution, and 2 desktop?
At least, be logical with yourself :)

If there is a reason to keep more than one different desktop environement, then the exact same reason apply for keeping more than one distribution.

I still agree there are way too many distribution, only a few are really interesting, and all the resources spent on the others could be rather spent on the few good ones.

ericesque
November 8th, 2006, 06:55 PM
agreed, shining.

One of the largest areas of redundancy is common apps for gnome and KDE. Currently it isn't too hard to have a gnome app work on a variety of gnome distros (or KDE). But it can be a pain to run kde apps on gnome or vise versa. Not to mention the extra libs that may be required.

I'm not promoting one desktop environment over the other here (tho for giggles, I'll say i prefer gnome) I'm just saying, that to unify the whole and reduce redundant development, stick to one or the other.

While on the other hand--as I think about it-- you've got some pretty entrenched camps on either side. In order to have any unity, you have to satisfy both gnome and kde die hards.

Time to begin development of gKDnomE.

B0rsuk
November 8th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Smart man uses right tool for the job. A distribution is a tool, too. The very idea of one distro for all is monumentally stupid.

ericesque
November 8th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Actually, I agree that there is no real reason to create one Uber distro-- or limit ourselves to one desktop environment. In my previous post I was fleshing out shining's concept about having one desktop environment. In case the sarcasm was overlooked, my comment about creating gKDnomE was mean as such.

Ultimately I agree that the devs are spread a bit too thin. Still, they manage to do a wonderous job. I think the real issue is community support. Not support for newcomers. These forums are a great and seemingly sufficient resource for that. I think the community should be more supportive of the devs. Making sure that they are filing bug reports and contributing in any way that they can. I would venture to guess that many linux--even Ubuntu-- users know how to code on some level. I'd venture that even more know how to troubleshoot and create documentation. I think this is where we (and I include myself in all of this) as a community let the developers down... and then demand more features, faster development, and and and and

BoneKracker
April 21st, 2007, 03:24 AM
ZDNet article: "Linux is unlikely ever to be a viable alternative to Microsoft's Windows on the desktop for corporate IT departments, according to leading CIOs."

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9590_22-6134965.html

The "Leading CIOs" they quote are a "CIO Jury" (i.e., panel) put together by silicon.com. According the article, they included:

Today's CIO Jury was...
Neil Bath, IT director, Brewin Dolphin Securities
Alastair Behenna, CIO, Harvey Nash
Graham Benson, IT director, the Web Factory (Play.com)
Paul Broome, IT director, 192.com
Ken Davis, IT director at TV channel Five
Rorie Devine, IT director, Betfair.com
David Lister, CIO, Reuters
Nick Masterson-Jones, IT director, Voca
Jacques Rene, CTO, Airclaims
Richard Steel, head of ICT, London Borough of Newham
Ted Woodhouse, director of IT strategy, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
Phil Young, head of IT and operations, Amtrak Express Parcels

Maybe ZDNet is just trying to troll up some web hits?

jeffc313
April 21st, 2007, 03:28 AM
seems like a load of FUD.

panickedthumb
April 21st, 2007, 03:29 AM
I'm calling shenanigans.

fuscia
April 21st, 2007, 03:34 AM
zd who?

Jarn
April 21st, 2007, 03:39 AM
It's half a year old, btw.

aysiu
April 21st, 2007, 03:41 AM
It's half a year old, btw.
Yeah, merged it with the other thread on this.

rai4shu2
April 21st, 2007, 04:05 AM
Headline is a clumsy and obvious troll:

Richard Steel, the head of ICT at the London Borough of Newham which famously threatened to move to Linux before sticking with Microsoft, said there will always be challengers to the dominant provider.

He said: "Linux is the obvious route to challenge and, as it has some sizeable players involved, has the best chance of breaking through--great for keeping Microsoft on its toes. My view--to have any chance of gaining ground, Linux has to get ahead, rather than always be a couple of years behind."

I don't see "dead" anywhere in there.

steven8
April 21st, 2007, 04:11 AM
Headline is a clumsy and obvious troll:

I don't see "dead" anywhere in there.

Yep.

BoneKracker
April 21st, 2007, 04:56 AM
Did you not see the article's headline and read the first sentence?

CIO jury: Is the Linux desktop dead?
Linux is unlikely ever to be a viable alternative to Microsoft's Windows on the desktop..."

And while I think the article itself may have been "trolling", I certainly wasn't. The article pisses me off and I just wanted people that hadn't seen it to know ZDNet have been giving voice to that ridiculous statement.

steven8
April 21st, 2007, 04:58 AM
Did you not see the article's headline and read the first sentence?

CIO jury: Is the Linux desktop dead?
Linux is unlikely ever to be a viable alternative to Microsoft's Windows on the desktop..."

And while I think the article itself may have been "trolling", I certainly wasn't. The article pisses me off and I just wanted people that hadn't seen it to know ZDNet have been giving voice to that ridiculous statement.

I never thought you were trolling at all. The article makes me feel sick to my stomach. I'll never use windows again, but articles like that may keep people from trying it out. :(

rai4shu2
April 21st, 2007, 05:04 AM
There's nothing wrong with the article or the post here. It's just a misleading headline.

FuturePilot
April 21st, 2007, 05:07 AM
it doesn't tell you why it is dead ... he says "you have too many options..."
Funny how no one seems to complain about having too many options when it comes to food. Would you really want to eat the same thing every day?

ceil420
April 21st, 2007, 05:27 AM
Funny how no one seems to complain about having too many options when it comes to food. Would you really want to eat the same thing every day?
Yes! Finally someone understands! I want my Microsoft™ Gruel® and I want it now!

</sarcasm>