PDA

View Full Version : spam, spam, spam, spam...

panickedthumb
November 12th, 2004, 04:40 AM
...spam, spam, spam, spam
Lovely spam, wonderful spam!

OK Monty Python references about Vikings singing about Spam aside, I am getting wicked comment spam on my Wordpress blog. About 100 a day. The guy who I get webspace from gets even more than that. It's insane!! I have the major words blocked, so very few actually get through, but I don't want to have to delete that many from the moderation queue every day either, or get the 100 emails a day letting me know that I have comments waiting for approval. I know I could turn the email notification off, but I like to have the notification for when someone I WANT to comment leaves a comment.

Anyone running Wordpress (or not) know of any ways to slow them down?

jdodson
November 12th, 2004, 05:47 AM
...spam, spam, spam, spam
Lovely spam, wonderful spam!

OK Monty Python references about Vikings singing about Spam aside, I am getting wicked comment spam on my Wordpress blog. About 100 a day. The guy who I get webspace from gets even more than that. It's insane!! I have the major words blocked, so very few actually get through, but I don't want to have to delete that many from the moderation queue every day either, or get the 100 emails a day letting me know that I have comments waiting for approval. I know I could turn the email notification off, but I like to have the notification for when someone I WANT to comment leaves a comment.

Anyone running Wordpress (or not) know of any ways to slow them down?

i wrote a php app to have a few text boxes that use php to send the message to my email address. you have a nice email form that people can use and no one on the internet can harvest your email. you can most likely check sourceforge for something similar, or i can toss my code your way:)

panickedthumb
November 12th, 2004, 06:01 AM
i wrote a php app to have a few text boxes that use php to send the message to my email address. you have a nice email form that people can use and no one on the internet can harvest your email. you can most likely check sourceforge for something similar, or i can toss my code your way:)
I don't think it's harvesting the email really, it's actually leaving comments on the blog itself. I get emails saying that I have comments, and the comment is embedded so I can preview it, but like I said, I can turn that off and remove email from the equation altogether.

But if your code is more secure it may work better. You think it would work if I tied it into the blog framework? It'd have to be able to access the MySQL blog database.

By the way, are you really Mr. T? ;)

HiddenWolf
November 13th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Even the ubuntu-devel and hoary-changes lists are getting spam. :-)

panickedthumb
November 13th, 2004, 05:49 PM
I noticed that! I'm wondering why they don't have the moderator approval for it like they do with -users. That would clear things up a lot.

As far as the comment spam on my blog, it's gone down quite a bit. I guess they got the picture after I put up my filters.

panickedthumb
November 14th, 2004, 04:50 AM
You still there, jdodson?