PDA

View Full Version : Website Nuking

jpeddicord
April 12th, 2007, 08:39 PM
The issue of a confusing website was discussed at the meeting last night, and although I nor PWill attended, I agree that it needs to be organized. And to make this all as hassle-free as possible, the website install will be wiped clean and will be started over.

This will be done off-site. Maximum downtime will be about 20 minutes.

Planned features:

F2F Support Center
A new, static homepage for newer users
A more "dynamic" theme (no visual change, but easier to manage)
More integration with other teams (wiki, communication)
Better news interface

Regarding meeting logs:
I think we should keep these on the wiki, as it is and has been a more common place to have them and should keep the clutter off of the website.

I'm planning to run through with this sometime soon, but I cannot commit to a certain time. It will just happen at some point.

PWill
April 12th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I have more stuff to do. This weekend sound good?

jpeddicord
April 12th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I'm hoping for Saturday.. but you know how I am with deadlines. If not Saturday, it will probably be Monday.

Vorian
April 12th, 2007, 11:01 PM
werd ^.^

hackle577
April 13th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Good idea guys!

TheIdiotThatIsMe
April 13th, 2007, 01:50 AM
There is something I would like to suggest, that covers several topics really but I'll try to keep this one about the website. One thing I would like about the website, is yes the static front page, for newcomers, but I would also like it if each of the team leaders were given membership to work on the site.

What I think would be good would to do is create a place on the website for team leaders to create a page for their team, with information on what the team is about, what the overall goals of the team are, projects the team is working on (with links to the projects in the Wiki for Development), team news / updates, and information about joining and contributing. I believe all of these points are sorely lacking (at least in a well organized, aesthetically pleasant manner). I think this well help segregate the development content that is more easily developed in the Wiki from the static content that would be better placed on the site.

There are two main points to this I think that would make it work: give each team leader access to the site so they can write the content of their pages themselves to help connect more to potential members, and also, *make sure the team leaders provide plenty of information and keep their page updated*. I know that we all have a lot going on, but it only takes 5 minutes every couple of days to help post news, and it will help keep team leaders connected to their projects and teams. I believe that is vital to the success of a team, and has played a pivotal role in the success of Ubuntu Ohio (we have some great leaders).

hackle577
April 13th, 2007, 02:01 AM
What I think would be good would to do is create a place on the website for team leaders to create a page for their team, with information on what the team is about, what the overall goals of the team are, projects the team is working on (with links to the projects in the Wiki for Development), team news / updates, and information about joining and contributing.

I would argue that if we made these present in "a well organized, aesthetically pleasant manner" on the wiki, we could just link to those pages from the website, and wouldn't need to duplicate the content.

jpeddicord
April 13th, 2007, 02:09 AM
I would argue that if we made these present in "a well organized, aesthetically pleasant manner" on the wiki, we could just link to those pages from the website, and wouldn't need to duplicate the content.

You stole what I was going to say. :o

I really think that subpages like that should be done on the wiki. Sure, I can still give the leaders access to the site to make a subpage, however, we come up with the issue of duplicate content.

If you do want to have it on the webpage, we'd want to take it off of the wiki to keep things easy to manage.

jpeddicord
April 14th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Here is the empty site so far:
http://files.codechunk.net/ohioloco/

All of the functionality is there, including F2F support!

The only problem is there is no content! But that will be saved for tomorrow.

User accounts have not and will not be kept over to the cleared site. The UID's were messed up to begin with due to a database error that made something unaligned.. (long story).
Add on the fact that user accounts were not used much anyway.

One exception to this is if we have this new team formed from the Website/Comm/Wiki teams, members will be given access to the site to be able to post news and such. Also, all members of the New User team will have access to the back area of the Support Center (F2F module) to be able to handle the requests. (And, all previous users with administrator access will have their accounts re-made. ;))

I'm tired. Need sleep. Too much code for today. :D
Jacob