View Full Version : GUI for Python

evagelos
April 11th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Hello

I need a Gui for python wx or qy ???

thanks

Jucato
April 11th, 2007, 11:52 AM
I think you meant Qt? There's Eric: http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric.html

It's available in the repositories.

Jussi Kukkonen
April 11th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I suggest you rephrase your question a bit more verbosely. At least I have problems understanding what you need...

nihilocrat
April 11th, 2007, 05:23 PM
wx has better cross-platform support (by that I mean, with Qt, people have to install the Qt libraries) and they will get a native 'look-and-feel'. For the most part, I don't really see a reason NOT to use wx in any GUI project.

ZuLuuuuuu
April 11th, 2007, 05:45 PM
wx has better cross-platform support (by that I mean, with Qt, people have to install the Qt libraries) and they will get a native 'look-and-feel'. For the most part, I don't really see a reason NOT to use wx in any GUI project.

But if wxPython is used then wxPython libraries and wxWidget libraries should also be installed?

Max_Might
April 11th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Why dont you try PyGTK ... :)

ianare
April 11th, 2007, 09:27 PM
wxPython is open source (less restrictive than LGPL), QT is not OSS for commercial projects.

kikapu
April 15th, 2007, 11:23 PM
wxPython is open source (less restrictive than LGPL), QT is not OSS for commercial projects.

Qt is under GPL. I had an email conversation with them (Trolltech) and i discussed the subject of Qt lisence in comp.lang.python.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/5df93d9e9727946f/7099b36de7b6f679#7099b36de7b6f679

So, Qt is under GPL and what you can and cannot do falls under the umbrella of GPL.
You can write software with Qt OpenSource Edition and you can sell it. What you have to do is give the source code with your product and clearly state int it that is under GPL too.
Of cource, that way you know beforehand that the person who buy your software can freely give it free to others.

You can also produce software for the company you work for, so i do not think that developing with Qt is a problem any more...
The only reason you will go and but the Commercial Lisence of Qt is if you or your company create "closed source" solutuons, that is, you do not want to give your code to your clients.

pmasiar
April 16th, 2007, 12:01 AM
The only reason you will go and bu[y] the Commercial Lisence of Qt is if you or your company create "closed source" solut[i]ons, that is, you do not want to give your code to your clients.

IANAL, but LGPL allows to link closed source to it, no? So that is exactly where you would prefer LGPL wxPython?

kikapu
April 16th, 2007, 09:39 AM
IANAL, but LGPL allows to link closed source to it, no? So that is exactly where you would prefer LGPL wxPython?

Xhm...You are correct. I think that building with Qt OS Edition will not allow you to link any other module that is in conflict with GPL. But in Python world, most modules are Open Source too, so there is little chance that problems will arise.
But anyway, you have a point in this.

gh0st
April 16th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Why dont you try PyGTK ... :)

It depends what you want to do but I'd recommend pyGTK as well. It's not right in every situation but I like it :D