PDA

View Full Version : GAS to YASM / NASM syntax problem

nfm
April 10th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Hello everybody,

This is my second day working with assembly. My C is pretty good and I have a feeling that assembly will be pretty simple. I started out with with hello world and I'm pretty familiar with general purpose registers, I then went to try 'Programming from the Ground Up' and got stuck on page 31 that deals with 'Finding a Maximum Value' This my first time trying such a thing and I'm trying my best to translate gas to nasm syntax. This is what I have:

section .data

data_items:
long 3,67,34,222,45,75,54,34,44,33,22,11,66,0

section .text
global _start

_start
mov edi, 0
mov data_items(,edi,4),
mov ebx, eax

start_loop:
cmp eax, 0
je loop_exit
inc edi
mov data_items(,edi,4),
cmp eax, ebx
jlw start_loop

mov ebx, eax
jmp start_loop

loop_exit:
mov eax, 1
int 0x80

Edit: Post 2 and 3 has the solutions, information on registers and instructions can be found in your cpu's manual.

Wybiral
April 10th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Intel's and AMD's manuals look scary to me.

They are scary, but once you learn to read them they become more valuable then any other documents on assembly.

This solution works, I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but maybe it will help:

section .data
data_items: dd 3,67,34,222,45,75,54,34,44,33,22,11,66,0

section .text
global _start

_start
mov edi, 0
mov eax, [data_items + edi * 4]
mov ebx, eax

start_loop:
cmp eax, 0
je loop_exit
inc edi
cmp eax, ebx
jle start_loop
mov ebx, eax
jmp start_loop

loop_exit:
mov eax, 1
int 0x80

You have to get used to the NASM (Intel syntax) indexing method:

In GAS, you have: memory(base, index, step)
In NASM, you have: [memory + base + index * step]

In this case, you aren't using a base, so it's: [memory + index * step]

And step is 4 since we're working with longs (btw, in NASM "dd" is your long) "data_items" is your memory address and "ESI" is your index. All together it's:

[data_items + esi * 4]

Getting used to switching between at&t and Intel syntax assembly is tough (especially since they're completely backwards from each other) but it's worth it.

Personally I prefer Intel syntax (like NASM) because it's so much cleaner and easier to read, but, you have to know GAS if you plan to work with compiler output (but you don't have to know GAS to simply write C libraries).

I've never used YASM, it's NASM's 64 bit brother right? I don't know if any of the syntax differs between them.

Anyway, good luck!

(wish I could help you with the 64 bit stuff, but I don't have a 64 bit machine to test it on)

nfm
April 10th, 2007, 10:51 PM
This is exactly what I'm looking for, it's definitely a help to me. YASM is a total rewrite of NASM with support for 64-bit amd64 architecture and according to YASM's manual it can compile assembly with GAS syntax, but as you just have mentioned, NASM syntax is cleaner and easier to read. Also, YASM is 100% compatible with NASM syntax.

For anyone interested:
32-bit:

;PURPOSE: This program finds the maximum number of a
; set of data items.
;
;VARIABLES: The registers have the following uses:
;
; %edi - Holds the index of the data item being examined
; %ebx - Largest data item found
; %eax - Current data item
;
; The following memory locations are used:
;
; data_items - contains the item data. A 0 is used
; to terminate the data
;

section .data
data_items: dd 3,67,34,222,45,75,54,34,44,33,22,11,66,0

section .text
global _start

_start
mov edi, 0
mov ebx, eax

start_loop:
cmp eax, 0
je loop_exit
inc edi
cmp eax, ebx
jle start_loop
mov ebx, eax
jmp start_loop

loop_exit:
mov eax, 1
int 0x80
compile with:
nasm -f elf maxnum.asm
ld -s -o maxnum maxnum.o
./maxnum
echo $?

you should get 222.

64-bit, but I'm not 100% sure if it is entirely correct.

;PURPOSE: This program finds the maximum number of a
; set of data items.
;
;VARIABLES: The registers have the following uses:
;
; %rdi - Holds the index of the data item being examined
; %rbx - Largest data item found
; %rax - Current data item
;
; The following memory locations are used:
;
; data_items - contains the item data. A 0 is used
; to terminate the data
;

BITS 64

section .data
data_items: dq 3,67,34,222,45,75,54,34,44,33,22,11,66,0

section .text
global _start

_start
mov rdi, 0
mov rax, [data_items + rdi * 8]
mov rbx, rax

start_loop:
cmp rax, 0
je loop_exit
inc rdi
mov rax, [data_items + rdi * 8]
cmp rax, rbx
jle start_loop
mov rbx, rax
jmp start_loop

loop_exit:
mov rax, 1
int 0x80
compile with:
yasm -f elf64 -m amd64 maxnum-amd64.asm
ld -s -o maxnum-amd64 maxnum-amd64.o
./maxnum-amd64
echo $?

you should get 222.

Thanks Wybiral!

Wybiral
April 10th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Cool, so for AMD64 assembly you just prefix "r" instead of "e" to all of the registers to use the 8 byte ones?

I assume you can still use "e" for the 4 byte parts too, right? If that's the case, then NASM 32 bit assembly should be pretty portable.

nfm
April 11th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Yes, "r' prefix is used on all general purpose registers. In 64-bit you can also utilise extra 8 GPR (R8-R15). This is what Intel says on 'General-Purpose Registers in 64-Bit Mode':

In 64-bit mode, there are 16 general purpose registers and the default operand size
is 32 bits. However, general-purpose registers are able to work with either 32-bit or
64-bit operands. If a 32-bit operand size is specified: EAX, EBX, ECX, EDX, EDI, ESI,
EBP, ESP, R8D - R15D are available. If a 64-bit operand size is specified: RAX, RBX,
RCX, RDX, RDI, RSI, RBP, RSP, R8-R15 are available. R8D-R15D/R8-R15 represent
eight new general-purpose registers. All of these registers can be accessed at the
byte, word, dword, and qword level. REX prefixes are used to generate 64-bit
operand sizes or to reference registers R8-R15. Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer’s Manual Vol. 1 Section 3-16

IronAvatar
April 13th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Just a few (probably unecessary) optimisation notes when coding in assembler;

When setting a register to zero you can simply do something like xor reg, reg or sub reg, reg. This saves on the extra possible load for the operand, reducing code size and helping to aid i-cache coherency.
I'm a bit rusty on this, but I think moving a value of zero into a register will set the zero flag. So instead of mov reg, reg[offsett]; cmp reg, 0; je label you can just do mov reg, reg[offsett]; jz label
Related to the last item; when looping and using a loop counter, it's preferable to count down so the end of your loop can do something like dec counter_reg; jnz loop_start avoding the need for a compare.

phossal
April 13th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Wybiral, I got a jailed post for teasing you (and an infraction). lol The mods can't tell the difference between friendly teasing, and harassment. Everything I do is unsupported by the mods! ;) Anyway, I can't find my CPU manual. (I teased you in my previous post for mentioning the manual, as if everyone has it laying around. The one for the AMD is something like 1200 pages.) I found what I thought was a good tutorial for NASM (coming from MASM), but it was full of bad links. Any suggestions for a good place to pick up the syntax. The manual at MIT's website doesn't seem helpful enough, although I haven't been able to really read through it yet.

From now on, I might write all my posts in binary so you can XOR them to decode the secret messages.

Wybiral
April 13th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Wybiral, I got a jailed post for teasing you (and an infraction). lol The mods can't tell the difference between friendly teasing, and harassment. Everything I do is unsupported by the mods! ;) ...

lol... Yeah, I got an infraction for a sarcastic post of mine not too long ago either. I don't think they can tell the difference between friendly joking and serious being-an-***-ness.

Anyway, I couldn't tell if you were mentioning a NASM or MASM manual.... NASM's documentation can be found: http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=47247&group_id=6208

EDIT:

Wait... That one seems to have some link problems too... lol, it was probably the one you had!

phossal
April 13th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I'm new to NASM. I've used GAS, if you remember, and MASM (on MS), but I'd like to move to NASM. But I can't find documentation quite like I expected to learn the syntax.