PDA

View Full Version : Long Drive, What would you take ?

richbarna
April 9th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Ok, so you are going on a 5000 km drive, supposing there will be no stops on the way, service stations only sell fuel and water. What would you carry in the glove compartment ?
I'll start:

Linkin Park Discography
Live Discography
Photos of wife and daughters
5 packs of chewing gum
Mobile phone
Map

mips
April 9th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Camera
Batteries (extra for camera)
Cigarettes
5 mellow cds
Polarised sun glasses

hkgonra
April 9th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Two pistols and 3 extra mags for each.
$500 cash (never know when you are going to hit a spot and need something and they don't take credit cards.)
My dog (faithful co-pilot) :)
Large cup for her water (large mouth but will fit in the cupholder so she can drink at her leisure)
Cooler with lots of ice and diet coke
Snack foods for the dog and me
A good mix of music
1-2 Bluegrass
5 or more modern rock ( Seether , Shinedown , Chili Peppers etc.)
Cell phone and car charger
Camera
Blankets (in case I get stranded)
Carton of cigarettes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/hkgonra/Creek%20July%202006/07-01-06_1841.jpg

jeffc313
April 9th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Sun glasses
iPod
sun chips
trader joes spicy mustard won ton chips
cell phone

edit: camera + camcorder

allix
April 9th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Ok, so you are going on a 5000 km drive, supposing there will be no stops on the way, service stations only sell fuel and water. What would you carry in the glove compartment ?

Something to pee in? :roll:

prizrak
April 9th, 2007, 04:36 PM
A Bugati Veyron and be there in about a day ;)

justin whitaker
April 9th, 2007, 04:40 PM
A Bugati Veyron and be there in about a day ;)

2 days: 1 for driving, 1 for the frequent trips to the gas (petrol) station.

'tis a thirsty beast. :)

maxamillion
April 9th, 2007, 04:40 PM
1 pistol, 3 extra mags
1 gameboy advance (w/ game of choice) + plenty of extra batteries
2 changes of clothes
1 1.5 liter bottle of water
1 laptop running ubuntu w/ charger (for when i reach my destination)

raublekick
April 9th, 2007, 05:25 PM
two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole multi colored collection of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls.

banjobacon
April 9th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Two pistols and 3 extra mags for each.

One for you, one for the dog?

prizrak
April 9th, 2007, 05:56 PM
2 days: 1 for driving, 1 for the frequent trips to the gas (petrol) station.

'tis a thirsty beast. :)

Hehe yeah 'tis a beast alright ;)

Sup with people taking pistols only? You need an automatic too, never know. I say add an AKSU with 5 banana clips (70 rounds vs 35).

hkgonra
April 9th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Sup with people taking pistols only? You need an automatic too, never know. I say add an AKSU with 5 banana clips (70 rounds vs 35).

Not legal in the US to carry unless you are federal LE or a politician.

One for you, one for the dog?

No , just a spare.

prizrak
April 9th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Not legal in the US to carry unless you are federal LE or a politician.

Legality was never a big issue for me ;)

hkgonra
April 9th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Legality was never a big issue for me ;)

Well it is for me, but you did make me think , maybe just one pistol and my mini-30 with 4
30-rounders.

mips
April 9th, 2007, 06:48 PM
What would you carry in the glove compartment ?

Read people! I would love see some peoples stuff ftting into the cubby hole/glove compartment, especially the dog.

manmower
April 9th, 2007, 07:35 PM
All necessary papers for the car + owner's manual and technical manual. First aid kit and a pair or two of gloves (duh) in case I break down. Stuff like food/drinks/tools/sunglasses/CDs I would keep in more accessible locations.

panickedthumb
April 9th, 2007, 07:55 PM
[/COLOR][/B]

Read people! I would love see some peoples stuff ftting into the cubby hole/glove compartment, especially the dog.
Not if it's a magic Harry Potter super duper glove compartment.

ROFL

hkgonra
April 9th, 2007, 08:08 PM
oops , missed the glove compartment thing.
I put insurance papers owners manual and such in the glove compartmant, other than that it never gets used.

karellen
April 9th, 2007, 08:13 PM
cell phone
flashlight
gun
map
knife
water

poppers1957
April 9th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Kinda depends on where I am headed. For example, if I were heading north, I would take a 5'2" 105# blond in a parka. If I were heading south, I would take a 5'2" 105# blond in a bikini. (east or west, brunettes):popcorn:

p.s. oh yeah and some jujubees.

poppers1957
April 9th, 2007, 08:17 PM
I saw the glove box thing, these girls deflate and would fit.

Zuuswa
April 9th, 2007, 08:19 PM
two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole multi colored collection of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls.

Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

When I saw this thread my face lit up, but raublekick beat me to it :popcorn:

dbbolton
April 9th, 2007, 08:36 PM
on long car rides, i take a german dictionary and a copy of faust.

Brunellus
April 9th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Map.
Enough food.
A blanket.
A tent, or, failing that, a tarpaulin, plus pegs and rope to rig same.
A folding entrenching tool.
Jumper cables.
A 2 liter thermos
Some means of boiling water
Some means of making coffee
Coffee
Chewing gum.
Mobile phone.

richbarna
April 9th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Something to pee in? :roll:

Lol! :) I meant no stops "to buy anything" apart from water and fuel. Otherwise people could just buy everything on the way in service stations and shops.

Damn! I just realised that I forgot cigarettes and the car phone charger ](*,)

Has anybody got a spare Marlboro ?

richbarna
April 9th, 2007, 09:20 PM
1 pistol, 3 extra mags
1 gameboy advance (w/ game of choice) + plenty of extra batteries
2 changes of clothes
1 1.5 liter bottle of water
1 laptop running ubuntu w/ charger (for when i reach my destination)

Whoah! I said what would you carry in the "Glove Compartment", what? are you driving a Hummer ? :confused:

justin whitaker
April 9th, 2007, 09:22 PM
What part of the world do you live in where a long drive necessitates weaponry?

For me, all I need is:

Lots of tunes.
A thermos of coffee.
A clear credit card.

You buy everything else along the way.

richbarna
April 9th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Map.
Enough food.
A blanket.
A tent, or, failing that, a tarpaulin, plus pegs and rope to rig same.
A folding entrenching tool.
Jumper cables.
A 2 liter thermos
Some means of boiling water
Some means of making coffee
Coffee
Chewing gum.
Mobile phone.

Come on people ! Read the first post. I said what would you carry in the "Glove Compartment". I know American cars are big, but surely you couldn't fit a tent in the glove compartment. Could you ?

justin whitaker
April 9th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Come on people ! Read the first post. I said what would you carry in the "Glove Compartment". I know American cars are big, but surely you couldn't fit a tent in the glove compartment. Could you ?

Maybe on one of those gigantic Silverados or Escalades? :)

forrestcupp
April 9th, 2007, 09:27 PM
As much chicken bullion and just-add-water astronaut food as I could fit in the glove compartment.

Also, handcuffs for the guys I meet along the way stuffing their box with drugs.

Brunellus
April 9th, 2007, 09:54 PM
probably not. A small silnylon tarp, maybe, but the cordage for rigging it would be tricky.

There's not an awful lot I can usefully carry in my glove compartment. I could try to force a pair of jumper cables in there. Of my list, it's the only thing I'd insist on.

CyBuzz
April 9th, 2007, 10:24 PM
2 pistols + 1 spare mag for each (.40 and .45)
1 Leatherman/Gerber Multitool
SureFire Flashlight and spare batts
Mini first aid kit
and some mints.

That is all I would put in the glove box. As for the rest of my vehicle, there is a host of other items that would be in the console, under the seat, etc but those were already mentioned.

urukrama
April 9th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Are you guys serious about taking guns with you on a trip?

The biggest 'weapon' I might take would be my pocket knife, but only so I could peel some apples or stuff on the way. Are the US that unsafe? If everyone who goes on a ride brings a gun or two I might understand ....

I really don't get it.

jeffc313
April 9th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Are you guys serious about taking guns with you on a trip?

The biggest 'weapon' I might take would be my pocket knife, but only so I could peel some apples or stuff on the way. Are the US that unsafe? If everyone who goes on a ride brings a gun or two I might understand ....

I really don't get it.

US is not unsafe like you need a gun. I would never carry a gun. I would fear that it would misfire shooting me :lolflag: But seriously, why would anyone bring a gun? (and who peels apples :lolflag: just eat the skin)

urukrama
April 9th, 2007, 11:12 PM
(and who peels apples just eat the skin)

Depends what kind of apples you eat. The skin of most of the store bought can easily be eaten (though I don't always trust the chemicals on the skin). Some other varieties of apple have tougher skin, which ruins the taste of the apple a bit.

Nonno Bassotto
April 9th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Gulp!! Seems that everyone suggests to take a gun. Is the use of weapons so common in the USA?

jeffc313
April 9th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Gulp!! Seems that everyone suggests to take a gun. Is the use of weapons so common in the USA?

I hope not, or I may have to move :( It seems much more prominate than I expected (even though Boston does have a pretty high murder rate)

PatrickMay16
April 9th, 2007, 11:19 PM
For a very long drive that may take an entire day or more, I would take

2 mp3 players with extra batteries, and a large amount of music.
A bottle of water.
A boxed lunch.
My old thinkpad (wouldn't want to risk my new laptop, since it is new and expensive and desirable; it may get stolen.) with fully charged battery pow0r, and two different PCMCIA wireless lan adaptors.
A torch.

hkgonra
April 9th, 2007, 11:22 PM
My old thinkpad (wouldn't want to risk my new laptop, since it is new and expensive and desirable; it may get stolen.) with fully charged battery pow0r, and two different PCMCIA wireless lan adaptors.

For all those wondering why you carry a gun .......... just one example.

jeffc313
April 9th, 2007, 11:24 PM
For all those wondering why you carry a gun .......... just one example.

<sarcasm>take my lappy & I'll shoot you</sarcasm>
your in a car... speed away?

CyBuzz
April 10th, 2007, 02:25 AM
I am a licensed and trained citizen that is allowed to carry a gun. I carry a gun for the same reason that a police officer carries a firearm, for my own personal protection. I hope I never EVER have to use it, but if I do, I, will count my blessings that I am fortunate enough to be able to carry it. I do it for my wife, my 3 year old son and my 3 month old son. They don't need to grow up without a father. I carry a gun every day just like I carry a pocket knife.

As I read once..."When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

dbbolton
April 10th, 2007, 02:37 AM
how did this thread turn into NRA propaganda ?

Tux Aubrey
April 10th, 2007, 03:23 AM
how did this thread turn into NRA propaganda ?

I have a theory that all threads in the cafe, given long enough, will turn into NRA propaganda. This is the price we pay for having Americans involved in Linux.:)

If you were doing your 5000km drive in Australia, you would need something to wipe your windshield, some really powerful bug spray, a torniquet and a cotton bag to put the snake in so that they can identify it at the hospital or morgue.

Apart from that, I'd have a CD including "The Best of Van Morrison" (Volumes 1 and 2).

CyBuzz
April 10th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Hey, I didn't ask the questions, I just answered them. I pushed no so called propaganda on anyone.

azkehmm
April 10th, 2007, 06:06 AM
5 kg TNT and the dreaded remote self destruct mechanism... who knows... the car might get stolen.

Bigbluecat
April 10th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Plane tickets. Leave the car at the airport.

spinflick
April 10th, 2007, 08:22 AM
For most of the world I would take lots of.......

Sounds
Chocolate
Red Bull
Sweets
First Aid Kit :)

For places like Iraq and the USA I would leave the car and go in something like this......:lolflag:

Hallvor
April 10th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I`m not sure that flying a Russian Ka-52 "Akula" helicopter in the US og Iraq would be such a good idea. :)

Nonno Bassotto
April 10th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Dear CyBuzz. I'm sure that you are trained and able to use a gun, and I also hope you will never have to. The fact is that in other countries (I live in Italy) not everyone can carry a gun, you have to make a special request, so of course their use is much more controlled.

As a result (or maybe as a cause) we have a different culture. Here noone would consider reasonable to carry a gun with you, unless you are a policeman or are going to hunt (well, then you'd better take a rifle).

RandomJoe
April 10th, 2007, 12:41 PM
I would have very little in my glove box that isn't normally there. For a trip that long, probably the most important would be the instruction manual for my (annoyingly) difficult-to-use MP3 playing car stereo.

I certainly wouldn't carry a gun, never felt a need to. :)

Hm, perhaps I'd toss the cell phone in there. (I don't own a cell phone, but I'd take my work-provided one along just-in-case.)

Otherwise, everything else I'd want has a more useful location elsewhere in the car. CDs (packed with MP3s) in a sleeve on the visor. Ham radio on the dash. Repair tools and such in a box behind the seats. So forth.

I made a trip to Toronto, Canada (about 1350 miles the way I went) a couple of years ago and figured out that I really didn't need much with me for the drive itself. But I'm a pretty hard-core driver when it comes to long trips. I hate staying in hotels along the way. The only time I stopped was when the car needed gas, and I'd grab something quick to eat at whatever restauraunt happened to be next door to the gas station. So gas -> pee break -> food then back on the road until the next tankful was empty. No time for any other toys! (I did stay overnight in Columbus, OH at a relative's house.)

siciliancasanova
April 10th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Oh Hunter :roll:

CyBuzz
April 10th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Dear CyBuzz. I'm sure that you are trained and able to use a gun, and I also hope you will never have to. The fact is that in other countries (I live in Italy) not everyone can carry a gun, you have to make a special request, so of course their use is much more controlled.

As a result (or maybe as a cause) we have a different culture. Here noone would consider reasonable to carry a gun with you, unless you are a policeman or are going to hunt (well, then you'd better take a rifle).

I agree, and I respect that. Different countries have different governments that make different rules. I am just grateful that my country has not made the decision to not allow me to have these freedoms.

This is the price we pay for having Americans involved in Linux.
I fail to see how this has any thing to do with Americans being involved in and contributing to Linux.

siciliancasanova
April 10th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Gun control doesn't matter. Just like I was posting in the police cam thread.

Whether people have guns or not, does not stop them from aquiring them. When you try and control something that has a demand, a black market is created. You then have illegal sale of guns, and when sales go bad, people get killed and their is no law governing a black market.

I don't believe in stats but if you do, then here you go, the rate of crime in areas that have passed gun laws, specifically concealed weapon laws, have seen a rate of crime go down. This is not because criminals are scared anyone could be concealing a weapon but because the black market dissapeared.

I for one don't carry a gun on a day to day basis and frankly think humanity would be better off with out them. That's my visionary mind thinking.

My realistic mind thinks about what I just posted above.

Brunellus
April 10th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I fail to see how this has any thing to do with Americans being involved in and contributing to Linux.

This thread is drifting further and further off-topic. Any further unwarranted American-bashing--or bashing of any other sort--will send this to the Backyard. If there's any place on these forums to hold a shootenanny of this sort--and I'm not sure there really is or should be-- take it to the backyard, soc.politics, and rec.guns.

BWF89
April 10th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Some friends and me are planning on taking a road trip to California after our senior year of high school. Which is next year. To save money were going to go in a van so we can sleep in the back instead of getting a motel room.

I would bring:
+ Folding utility knife (Not old enough to carry a gun)
+ Multitool (see pic) (http://a876.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/49/l_b97d004408a4b0a9905cd342e5c63563.png)
+ Nintendo DS (with Doom for GBA and Animal Crossing DS)
+ A few psychedellic rock, metal, classic rock, and punk CD's
+ My CD player (assuming the van doesn't have one, or I want to listen to something different than what everyone else does)
+ How To Stay Alive in the Woods (http://www.amazon.com/How-Stay-Alive-Woods-Self-Preservation/dp/1579122213/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-9325445-4795849?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176232208&sr=8-1) (excellent book, buy it if your in the market for a survival manual)

justin whitaker
April 10th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I am a licensed and trained citizen that is allowed to carry a gun. I carry a gun for the same reason that a police officer carries a firearm, for my own personal protection. I hope I never EVER have to use it, but if I do, I, will count my blessings that I am fortunate enough to be able to carry it. I do it for my wife, my 3 year old son and my 3 month old son. They don't need to grow up without a father. I carry a gun every day just like I carry a pocket knife.

As I read once..."When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

Better check the local laws before you travel with your weapon. Not all jurisdictions authorize the use of deadly force to protect another if any other option exists. That includes in your home.

The things you learn in Criminal Law 101. :)

Come to think of it, Law Books definitely do not fit in a glove box.

Brunellus
April 10th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Better check the local laws before you travel with your weapon. Not all jurisdictions authorize the use of deadly force to protect another if any other option exists. That includes in your home.

The things you learn in Criminal Law 101. :)

Come to think of it, Law Books definitely do not fit in a glove box.
yeesh, tell me about it. I'm waiting they give me my booklist for next year pretty soon. As an incoming 1L, I'm thinking law school will do a lot to build my muscles, if not my mind...