PDA

View Full Version : Sending Libnotify Notifications as root

simplyw00x
April 8th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I've tried to have procmail send me notifications when I have new mail:

:0 c
| formail -fc -x Subject | sed -e 's/carl.*2007 //' | sed -e 's/<.*>//' | sed
-e 's/^/\"/g' | sed -e 's/$/\"/g' | xargs -t notify-send -i stock_mail "New Mail
"

My procmail log shows me that notify-send is whining about dbus:

From carl Sun Apr 8 09:59:49 2007
Subject: Test #3
Folder: /home/carl/Mail/new/1176022789.13457_0.puzzlement 2099
notify-send -i stock_mail New Mail Test #3
libnotify-Message: Unable to get session bus: Failed to execute dbus-launch to a
utolaunch D-Bus session

I've tried guides like http://gnome-hacks.web.com/hacks.html?id=82 and http://blog.drinsama.de/erich/en/linux/2006021003-gnome-hack-of-the-day.html, but there are a few problems:

I don't have gnome-session running. Should I?

carl@puzzlement:~$ ps -e | grep gnome-session
carl@puzzlement:~$ gnome-session
gnome-session: you're already running a session manager
carl@puzzlement:~$

Notification-daemon is ignoring env vars

carl@puzzlement:~$ echo $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-XJKEnaHUDC,guid=d8a9946c6fecedde09dd0d004618b261
carl@puzzlement:~$ sudo -s
Password:
root@puzzlement:~# export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-XJKEnaHUDC,guid=d8a9946c6fecedde09dd0d004618b261
root@puzzlement:~# notify-send Test Test
libnotify-Message: Unable to get session bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
This is not right. I've confirmed that this is the right bus address on numerous occasions but no dice. Any help?

kcnnc
October 24th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Has anyone found a solution for this?

FuturePusher
June 8th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Old thread I know, but I stumbled upon this via Google when looking around for causes of errors where libnotify can't connect to the dbus daemon... just thought I should throw in my solution to this, in case original posters or anyone else reading gets use of it:

Quite simple really - all You need to do is make the job/script running as root, run the notify-send as the user who's on display :0 ... (in other words, the user running the GUI; X in our case).

This, with commands taking arguments (like notify-send), is easiest achieved with for example: sudo -u carl sh -c 'notify-send ...'
(Replace "carl" with relevant username! Lab around with it... ;) )

As for finding out who's on the GUI, try the followin to get an idea... (NOTE: copy-&-paste this so You don't lose any less visible space character!) :

GUI_user="$( who | grep ' tty' | grep ' (:0' | cut -d ' ' -f 1 )"

(Now You have that user's username in the variable GUI_user, do this to see: echo $GUI_user )