PDA

View Full Version : Good Book on Linux (Ubuntu-focused)

vatechtigger
April 6th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Do you guys a book that you recommend for a linux newb (windows master though, so not basic)

More or less focused on ubuntu if possible, but maily I want something that goes into the not just do this to do that, but goes a bit into the process behind the commands, how the operating system works.

xpod
April 6th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Do you guys a book that you recommend for a linux newb (windows master though, so not basic)

I thought the "Windows masters" usually needed it being all the more "basic":)
Just browsing these forums,the documentation and google are the best books you could probably ever have me thinks.

vatechtigger
April 6th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Ha, yeah the forums are great, and there is a ton of info on the net. But there is something to be said about reading a book with all the info nice and concise and in order to wrap your head around instead of bumping up to a issue, fixing it, and not really knowing what you fixed. Plus I have a ton of time on the subway commuting and NYC has yet to put wifi in the subways (not that I would pull out my MBpro on the subways anyways)

panickedthumb
April 6th, 2007, 08:24 PM
If you want a nice and concise book, try the official Ubuntu book. It even has a recipe for Ubuntu bread! :)

It's entry level to intermediate. I sat down with it in barnes and noble, and I was going to buy it but I realized that there wasn't anything in there that I didn't already know (not trying to be cocky or anything) so I didn't get it. There are a few more Ubuntu books that are getting a lot of attention as well. Anything from O'Reilly is a great addition to your tech library

lukew
April 6th, 2007, 08:31 PM

More or less focused on ubuntu if possible, but maily I want something that goes into the not just do this to do that, but goes a bit into the process behind the commands, how the operating system works.

No matter what the subject is you can always count on oreilly.

Look online for safari books; they have some free online books too!! :)

http://www.oreilly.com/pub/topic/linux

DC@DR
April 6th, 2007, 10:21 PM
I would recommend this book to start with, it's "The official Ubuntu book": http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubuntu-Book-Benjamin-Mako/dp/0132435942

dada1958
April 6th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I like Ubuntu Unleashed (http://www.amazon.com/Ubuntu-Unleashed-Andrew-Hudson/dp/0672329093) very much.

Somenoob
April 6th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I like "Ubuntu Hacks" it's more focused on solutions to common problems and it's doesn't go much into the working of the OS. But it's very comprehensive and informative.

fuscia
April 6th, 2007, 10:51 PM
o'reilly's pocket guide to linux is about the only book i found to be timeless (meaning 'good for three years') so far. i guess you'll find more online that is helpful.

Cloudy
April 7th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I like "Ubuntu Hacks" it's more focused on solutions to common problems and it's doesn't go much into the working of the OS. But it's very comprehensive and informative.

I can get behind that. I have Ubuntu Hacks and it's a pretty interesting book, was helpful to me when I didn't have the internet to consult for some problems on my other machine.