PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Beatles Song?

plb
April 2nd, 2007, 01:57 AM
Can you tell I'm bored tonight? :) Anyway... Yesterday FTW

ppatalano
April 2nd, 2007, 02:00 AM
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill.... on first thought, but I'm sure if I sat around for an hour I could come up with one that I like a lot better. How about yourself?

ComplexNumber
April 2nd, 2007, 02:01 AM
i don't like the beatles. i think they are vastly overrated trash pop. they made the right 'music' for the right era and had a great manager. musically, they did nothing new and most of their lyrics are puerile and amount to little more than lyrics-by-numbers.

if i had to pick their best, it would be 'a day in the life'.

ynnhoj
April 2nd, 2007, 02:07 AM
that's a tough call; maybe "something". though i can definitely say that my favourite beatles album is "rubber soul." my favourite song choice changes quite a bit..

oops, forgot another sometimes-favourite: "two of us." what a great song to start an album with.

23meg
April 2nd, 2007, 02:07 AM
For today, let it be (forgive the pun) Across The Universe, A Day In The Life, Blackbird, Tomorrow Never Knows, While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

If you asked tomorrow I'd probably toss an entirely different list; it's hard to choose, and I'm not good with favorite lists.

konungursvia
April 2nd, 2007, 02:13 AM
Actually, they transformed song-writing for years to come. My favourite is "Don't let me down".

ComplexNumber
April 2nd, 2007, 02:16 AM
Actually, they transformed song-writing for years to come.

what makes you think that?
what they did do, though, is that they influenced lots of people to pick up a guitar.

Praxicoide
April 2nd, 2007, 02:36 AM
I, too, believe that they created a huge influence on music. Even if some people don't like them (valid) or believe them to be overrated (valid), this cannot be denied.

Anyways, my favorites might be Back in the USSR, Norwegian Wood, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, a few others I'm forgetting. I change my mind all the time anyways.

White Album remains my steady favorite, though.

qamelian
April 2nd, 2007, 02:43 AM
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds...the version by William Shatner!:)

ComplexNumber
April 2nd, 2007, 02:47 AM
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds...the version by William Shatner!:)
i wonder what people believe lucy in the sky with diamonds to be about.

qamelian
April 2nd, 2007, 02:49 AM
Actually, they transformed song-writing for years to come.

I doubt it since it was Bob Dylan that challenged them to abandon their wishy-washy pop style and do something more complex and meaningful. Personally, I always thought they were over-rated. There were other bands
at the same time or earlier perfomring in the same styles that the Beatles made famous. I think the Beatles just had smarter marketing behind them.

I'd rather listen to almost anything John Lennon did after the breakup than listen to the Beatles. And I'd rather not listen to Paul McCartney at all.

MobyTurbo
April 2nd, 2007, 03:11 AM
"And your Bird Can Sing" is a very good Beatles song, maybe not my favorite, but the vocal harmonies they did with it are amazing, and that after all, besides having a good session music line-up and studio facilties available to them in their later career, are really what they're about as far as their own unadulterated talent goes.

(Since it's on Revolver, its also one of the last instances of vocal harmonies the Beatles produced until their excellent "farewell" Abby Road album. The "once there was a way to get back home" lyric in the final Abby Road medley on the second side of the original album, sends shivers up your spine because you realize Paul's singing about the end of the Beatles. Abby Road would have to be my favorite album due to that medley of 1-2 minute songs that each are a seperate genere, even ones that wouldn't be invented until half a decade or more later! There's also of course good stuff on the A side as well, and George on Abby Road manages to have the most successful hits of his career in "Here comes the Sun" and "Something" (the latter probably with another guest appearance from his, at least at the time, best friend Eric Clapton by the sound of it.)

Before you guys accuse me of being an uncritical Beatles fan, I'm listening to Rory Gallagher now, which is the type of music I enjoy most (British Blues, well, in his case, Irish), not most of the Beatles' pop - though they did manage to have some really nice stuff anyway.

:guitar:

C-A
April 2nd, 2007, 03:11 AM
i wonder what people believe lucy in the sky with diamonds to be about.

Its about LSD, right?

One of my favorites is "Here comes the sun".

ComplexNumber
April 2nd, 2007, 03:14 AM
Its about LSD, right?

nope.

nalmeth
April 2nd, 2007, 03:17 AM
The Beatles song for the day for me is 'hide your love away'.

BTW, I think the Stones were, and are better :p

tbroderick
April 2nd, 2007, 03:27 AM
I'm partial to the Lena Horne & Gabor Szabo version of Rocky Raccoon.

C-A
April 2nd, 2007, 03:27 AM
nope.

OK, so what is it? Hopefully not something so bad it is unmentionable.

nalmeth
April 2nd, 2007, 03:29 AM
I've heard two interpretations about Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

Lennon was supposed to have written it for his son as a lullaby or bed time story, or something along those lines.

The other is Psychedelia.

If I had to guess, the rest of the band, or Paul, thought it was catchy enough for a song, and they were in psychedelic mode at the time. Put the two together and you have the trippy lullaby.

I'm sure theres a good source with the whole story, but this is just what I've heard.

23meg
April 2nd, 2007, 03:29 AM
nope.

It's said to be inspired by (and the name of) a drawing Julian Lennon made as a kid, of a friend called Lucy from nursery school.

C-A
April 2nd, 2007, 03:30 AM
OK, so what is it? Hopefully not something so bad it is unmentionable.

A song about a girl named Lucy that John's son drew?

OK, that was answered about the same time I posted this. There needs to be a word for posting at the same time when the one post cancels or answers the other.

ComplexNumber
April 2nd, 2007, 03:34 AM
you guys already know. yup, it was about a painting that julian did. in fact, john lennon didn't even know that the initials spelt out LSD until someone pointed them out to him after the song was released.
the visual imagery was taken directly from alice in wonderland....and not an LSD trip.

BOBSONATOR
April 2nd, 2007, 04:40 AM

my sister has been playing that on the piano recently,...

RAV TUX
April 2nd, 2007, 07:17 AM
"Paint it Black"

EDIT: oops my favorite Beatles song is a Rolling Stones song....

ok

"Here Comes the Sun"

karellen
April 2nd, 2007, 07:22 AM
rock'n'roll music

slimdog360
April 2nd, 2007, 07:27 AM
hey jude

banjobacon
April 2nd, 2007, 08:09 AM
"Eleanor Rigby"

Spr0k3t
April 2nd, 2007, 09:17 AM
Strawberry Fields. I kind of connect with that song.

Nonno Bassotto
April 2nd, 2007, 10:26 AM
Maybe "For noone" or "Sexy Sadie" or "Happiness is a warm gun". But there are many others; quite difficult to find out the best one.

PryGuy
April 2nd, 2007, 12:05 PM
Yesterday.

mostwanted
April 2nd, 2007, 12:08 PM
I've always been very fond of Tomorrow Never Knows.

AndyCooll
April 2nd, 2007, 12:44 PM
I've always liked "Help!"

:cool:

floke
October 5th, 2007, 09:09 PM
i don't like the beatles. i think they are vastly overrated trash pop. they made the right 'music' for the right era and had a great manager. musically, they did nothing new and most of their lyrics are puerile and amount to little more than lyrics-by-numbers.

if i had to pick their best, it would be 'a day in the life'.

Complex Number - you changed my username but this is the most medieval opinion I have heard for a long time.

Am listening to the Beatles right now.

Hey Jude has the greatest ending in music history. I defy anyone to name a better one.

RAV TUX
October 5th, 2007, 09:20 PM

Honky Tonk Woman

&

The Girl with Far Away Eyes

...ooh wait that was the Rolling Stones ;)

floke
October 5th, 2007, 09:29 PM
you are joking, right?
Better endings than Hey Jude?

Rav - have a word with yourself!

Sunflower1970
October 5th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Hard to pick just one...Hey Jude, Yesterday, Help, Yellow Submarine...

Then there's John Lennon's Imagine, and Paul McCartney & Wing's Live or Let Die... :D

floke
October 5th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Live and Let Die kicks *** - did you know Linda wrote the middle 8 Reggae section?

Nice work.

fuscia
October 5th, 2007, 09:56 PM
"the girl with colitis goes by"

floke
October 5th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Trying not to lol!

(failing badly)

yabbadabbadont
October 5th, 2007, 10:09 PM
For me it is a tie between "Eleanor Rigby" and "Let It Be".

thisllub
October 5th, 2007, 10:10 PM
A Day in the Life is possibly the greatest song ever written.

Sunflower1970
October 5th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Live and Let Die kicks *** - did you know Linda wrote the middle 8 Reggae section?

Nice work.

Yup.

I live with a McCartney mega-fan. :)

Linda. What a lady. She left the world too soon. :(

headflux
October 5th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Has to be 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'- Slays me every time.

Incense
October 5th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Hey Jude

RAV TUX
October 5th, 2007, 11:06 PM
you are joking, right?
Better endings than Hey Jude?

Rav - have a word with yourself!
ok I like:

"Levon"

....oh wait that's Elton John ;)

hmmm...

"Lucy in the sky with Diamonds"

also:

"Eggman"....of which Styx did a cover of and sang it better then the Beatles believe it or not!

sr20ve
October 5th, 2007, 11:14 PM
That's not easy to pick a favorite Beatles song. Currently, I'm thinking, "Girl," "I'm Only Sleeping," or "Eight Days a Week."

but if you ask me tomorrow, you'll get a different answer. It depends how I'm feeling.

RAV TUX
October 5th, 2007, 11:17 PM
As my guitar gently weeps

sr20ve
October 5th, 2007, 11:17 PM
A Day in the Life is possibly the greatest song ever written.

I agree, it's a work of musical genius.

tbroderick
October 5th, 2007, 11:25 PM
... but this is the most medieval opinion I have heard for a long time.

Hey Jude has the greatest ending in music history. I defy anyone to name a better one.

I agree with ComplexNumber. Besides, Wilson Pickett's version of Hey Jude, Otis Redding's Day Tripper, Lena Horne's Rocky Raccoon, Stevie Wonder's We Can Work It Out, Joe Cocker's With A Little Help From My Friends and Ike & Tina's Come Together are all better then the originals.

jrusso2
October 5th, 2007, 11:34 PM
She said, She said, and Sexy Sadie.

Anyone who says the Beatles are songs by numbers doesn't know what they are talking about.

The Beatles revolutionized music. They had a great producer George Martin who did the Orchestration.

Ask most modern Rock and Pop bands who their great influences are and The Beatles are almost always one of them.

jviscosi
October 6th, 2007, 02:12 AM
I like "Across the Universe", but (get out the flamethrowers) I actually prefer Fiona Apple's cover of it off the Pleasantville soundtrack to the original.

I also like "Eleanor Rigby" and "Paperback Writer", although the latter reminds me a little too much of myself.

msangil
October 6th, 2007, 02:16 AM
My personal favorite is "Strawberry Fields Forever". It has a great melody, a catchy rithm and its' share of "darkness".

Other great song is "Blackbird" as many of you already pointed out.

fuscia
October 6th, 2007, 02:18 AM
I like "Across the Universe", but (get out the flamethrowers) I actually prefer Fiona Apple's cover of it off the Pleasantville soundtrack to the original.

i agree. one of the best covers, ever.

ynnhoj
October 6th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Joe Cocker's With A Little Help From My Friends
my god, i hate that version! i don't particularly like the original song either, but joe cocker destroys it.

cwrann
October 6th, 2007, 02:41 AM
The Beatles gave pop music a gritty edge on there early albums.

My favorite Beatles song: "You've got to hide your love away"

The WHO do A great cover of "Twist and Shout" Live

gn2
October 6th, 2007, 02:56 AM
They had a great producer George Martin who did the Orchestration.

His influence should not be underestimated, the Beatles would never have developed into what they became without his guidance.

My favourite Beatles song is Dear Prudence, but not performed by the Beatles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La7Sm9_1tSE

RAV TUX
October 6th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Has anybody heard the Styx's version of Eggman?...spanks the fab four and sends them home crying.

BLTicklemonster
October 6th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Either across the universe or tomorrow never knows. But I am partial to within you without you.

And whenever I hear shes leaving home, and it gets to the end, for some reason, right as that last note is fading, I expect to hear Fred Flintstone holler, "WIIIILLLLLMMMMMAAAAAA". No idea why, either. I think Rav put some of his mushrooms on my pizza while I wasn't looking or sumpn.

drivel
October 6th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

BLTicklemonster
October 6th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Strawberry Fields. I kind of connect with that song.

Hey, I've been there!

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/3247/imagine2yf8.th.jpg (http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imagine2yf8.jpg)

Incense
October 6th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Fiona Apple is amazing, as is her performance of that song.

ButteBlues
October 6th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Fiona Apple is amazing, as is her performance of that song.
I'd have to say "Hey Jude" or "Let it Be".

As for some of the wonderful... opinions... earlier in the thread: to deny the Beatles' influence on _any_ genre of music since shows a complete lack of understanding not only about the Beatles' music, but the music you yourself listen to.

Pancetilla
October 6th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Nowhere Man

Bungo Pony
October 6th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I'm more fond of the stuff The Beatles did when they initially became popular with their bubble-gum pop. IMO, the stuff they did when they were messed up on LSD wasn't all that great. However, Penny Lane is probably my absolute favorite song music-wise.

If you want to hear some really bad Beatles covers, get the original motion picture soundtrack of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Movie

BLTicklemonster
October 6th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Hey Jude! Let it be, you're going to lose that girl yesterday.

(make sentences out of their song titles, lol)

drphilngood
October 6th, 2007, 03:29 PM
¨Revolution¨ really rocks my boat...:guitar:

drivel
October 6th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I'd have to say "Hey Jude" or "Let it Be".

As for some of the wonderful... opinions... earlier in the thread: to deny the Beatles' influence on _any_ genre of music since shows a complete lack of understanding not only about the Beatles' music, but the music you yourself listen to.

Hey Jude,don't be afraid,take a sad song and make it better.:guitar:

Did I spell something wrong?

drivel
October 6th, 2007, 04:20 PM
But,in some times,something you can't control,just let it be.
and do your best to adapt it.

PryGuy
October 9th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Yesterday