I have a bash script which does something like this:

command
if [ $? != "0" ]; then
bla bla bla

The problem is, I would like it to do this

command | zenity --progress --auto-close etc etc etc
if [ $? != "0" ]; then
bla bla bla

The problem with that is of course that $? will be returning the exit status of zenity, not my command, and zenity will exit with 0 even if my command fails with an exit != 0.

How do I go about this?

Thanks

Mr. C.
April 1st, 2007, 12:59 AM
From man bash:

PIPESTATUS
An array variable (see Arrays below) containing a list of exit
status values from the processes in the most-recently-executed
foreground pipeline (which may contain only a single command).
MrC

musther
April 1st, 2007, 11:13 AM
Thank you very much, I'm still learning bash scripting (although I think I'm learning quite quickly), and although at first I thought your answer didn't contain enough information, it was the perfect amount to make me learn for myself, rather than just giving me the answer.

Thanks again.

Mr. C.
April 1st, 2007, 05:52 PM
You're welcome.

MrC

kwaanens
April 2nd, 2007, 02:02 PM
Thank you very much, I'm still learning bash scripting (although I think I'm learning quite quickly), and although at first I thought your answer didn't contain enough information, it was the perfect amount to make me learn for myself, rather than just giving me the answer.

I have been struggling with the exact same problem. Care to post your lines, that makes your case work. (I'm *not* learning quickly...)

- K

Mr. C.
April 2nd, 2007, 05:33 PM
You will easily find the solutions here in the forums: search PIPESTATUS.

If you are having trouble with shell scripting, perhaps this online shell scripting course will help:

http://cis68b1.mikecappella.com/calendar.php

MrC

musther
April 2nd, 2007, 09:32 PM
Simply use the array variable PIPESTATUS like this:

if [ "${PIPESTATUS }" != "0" ]; then

Where the * is the position in the pipe you want to read the exit status for, 0 being the first command in the pipe, 1 being the second, 2 being the third etc...

But yes, I sugges an online bash guide too, and the forums of course. :-)

http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

kwaanens
April 2nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
Simply use the array variable PIPESTATUS like this:

if [ "${PIPESTATUS }" != "0" ]; then

Where the * is the position in the pipe you want to read the exit status for, 0 being the first command in the pipe, 1 being the second, 2 being the third etc...

All I get with that is:
20: Syntax error: Bad substitution

musther
April 3rd, 2007, 01:00 AM
Here is a simple script which works, use it as your example. If you have a problem running this script, then there must be something wrong somewhere else, if it works and your script doesn't, there must be a problem somewhere in your script.

#!/bin/bash
#
#Are you online?
#
ping google.com -c 5 | zenity --progress --text="Testing" --pulsate --auto-close
if [ "${PIPESTATUS[0]}" != "0" ]; then
zenity --error --text="Sorry, You do not currently have a fully working internet connection." --title="Error"
fi
exit

kwaanens
April 3rd, 2007, 08:32 AM
Allright!

I found out what made the difference. And I didn't even know that made one. The difference is in:
#!/bin/sh
or
#!/bin/bash
It does not work in the former, but does so in the latter.
Thanks!

- Ketil

musther
April 3rd, 2007, 09:11 AM
That determines which shell is to be used to execute the file, bash is (if I'm not mistaken) the most common these days, and it's the default shell you use when you open up a terminal window. But there are many other shells, sh is a different shell, with different commands.

kwaanens
April 3rd, 2007, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I was aware, but didn't know that it made that much difference. That's a gotcha I need to remember.