PDA

View Full Version : options for time in the command line do not work

name7ess
March 30th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Hi all,

This question is not directly related to programming, but i think it still fits here somehow:

Time seems to think that the options are the actual command, but i could not figure out how to tell time that they are not. Man just says that they should be placed before the command.

name7ess@T60:/tmp$ time -o
bash: -o: command not found

real 0m0.001s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.000s
name7ess@T60:/tmp$ time -o /dev/stdout ls
bash: -o: command not found

real 0m0.001s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.000s
name7ess@T60:/tmp$ time -h
bash: -h: command not found

real 0m0.001s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.004s
name7ess@T60:/tmp$

WW
March 30th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Interesting... there appear to be two time commands. Try giving the full path to the command, i.e.

/usr/bin/time -o /dev/stdout ls
That worked on my computer (running dapper).

Compare

$ man 1 time
and

$ man 1posix time
(You may have to install some additional manpage packages to view these.)

WW
March 30th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Interesting... there appear to be two time commands.
There are two time commands. One is a bash shell command; take a look here: http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/timedate.htmlhttp://ubuntuforums.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2376589
Scroll down to the short section about time; note the comment about time being a reserved word. The shell time command is the one that will be used if you just type time in a terminal.

The other is the command in /usr/bin/time. This is the command that you will read about if you enter man time in a terminal.

The bash gurus can explain why this command

$ time time
actually runs both versions!

Mr. C.
March 30th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Since the dawn of time...!

There have always been two time commands, one builtin, and /bin/time. Each were slightly different.

time time

will use the built-in to call the program located in your PATH (/usr/bin/time). Built-in shell commands are always attempted first. To avoid built-in's, use \ to escape:

$ time ls
$ \time ls

MrC

drunken_sapo
July 30th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Since the dawn of time...!

There have always been two time commands, one builtin, and /bin/time. Each were slightly different.

time time

will use the built-in to call the program located in your PATH (/usr/bin/time). Built-in shell commands are always attempted first. To avoid built-in's, use \ to escape:

$ time ls
$ \time ls

MrC

pity i wasn't there in the dawn of time (or \time) :D
this drove me insane until i've read your messages.
thank you guys.