PDA

View Full Version : uploading folder through ftp

shashi123
March 28th, 2007, 09:49 AM
I have created a xampp webserver environment on my PC with ubuntu 6.06

but when i try to upload a file in htdocs folder by put command it does upload

but how can i upload a folder in to htdocs

if i try to copy and paste it in htdocs folder manualy it says permission denied

when i try to do it with cp command it says the perticular folder is not a file

and wouldnt copy

plz help me out with this one

thanx in advance

Mr. C.
March 29th, 2007, 05:38 AM
FTP does not provide recursive or directory transfers. It can make directories, and transfer multiple files. If you want more than this, you need a more sophisticated FTP client. Alternatively, you can archive your files and directories into a single archive, put that archive, and then unarchive (but of course this requires access to the remote machine).

By copy/paste, do you mean in the desktop environment ?

You must have permission to copy files or folders into a directory. The web directory is owned/group www-data; your user/group do not have permission to perform that action. You either must change permissions on the web folder to which you are copying, add yourself to the web group, or use the command line "sudo cp ...".

It would be helpful for you to learn about Unix/Linux users, groups and permissions. Read week 2 Notes and Homework, in the Coursework section at : http://cis68a.mikecappella.com/

MrC

ssam
March 29th, 2007, 02:51 PM
when i try to do it with cp command it says the perticular folder is not a file

you probably just need to add a -r flag to the copy command to tell it to recursively copy the fold (i.e. copy the contents of it)

cp -r afolder destination/