PDA

View Full Version : how-to help disabled

brooklyntony1970
March 27th, 2007, 11:07 PM
i'm a quadrupligic [C5] and these are my questions regarding accessibility.

how to enable in ubuntu....
1] how to make ALT, CTRL, or SHIFT key held down while pressing another key?
[ex = CTRL + A; CTRL + C; etc......]

2] how to make left mouse button held down so that i can select text lines by just moving the mouse up or down or keep folders or files attached to the mouse pointer to move to other place?

******* i can do all these with windows XP professional. i'm trying out ubuntu now.

P.S.
1] i type with a mouth stick packing on one key at a time. i tied the back of my mouse to my right hand finger so that i can push the mouse back and forth on the table which is all i can do with my arm.
2] don't tell me to use a voice recognition software because i tried every one in the market and ended up spending more time correcting recognition mistakes than actually using the computer and it's worse if used for internet surfing and worse if there is noise around you.

teaker1s
March 28th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Hi, my dad is in a similar situation-he uses a jabber stick.
Now some suggestions to your issue
Top panel on gnome
System>preferences>Accessibility

there are options in gnome to turn on sticky keys etc

welcome to the forums, If there is anything else I can help with, I'll watch this thread-just post your questions
regards Daniel

brooklyntony1970
March 28th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Hi, my dad is in a similar situation-he uses a jabber stick.
Now some suggestions to your issue
Top panel on gnome
System>preferences>Accessibility

there are options in gnome to turn on sticky keys etc

welcome to the forums, If there is anything else I can help with, I'll watch this thread-just post your questions
regards Daniel

Thank you for your help.
I did find System>preferences>Accessibility. I'll try it and post what I can do from there. Right now I use Windows XP pro which allow me do pretty much what I said above but I think its time to switch to Linux for me. Hope you don't get too annoyed for my posting similar questions. I'm a linux newbie and slow learner. Hahaha and I type by packing at one key at a time like a chicken.

:lolflag:

teaker1s
March 28th, 2007, 08:18 PM
looking on my debian etch system accessibility had automatically installed, if you can't see it-I'll try to find out the package you need

Henrik
March 29th, 2007, 07:57 PM
System>preferences>Accessibility is correct on a Feisty (7.04) system, the latest version. Select Keyboard accessibility and enable sticky keys. On older system it is under System>preferences>Keyboard.

In all cases you can boot with this feature from the Live CD too. Press F5 at the very first boot screen and select keyboard modifiers.

You can also add a sticky keys monitor to the panel (shows you when Shift, etc. is down).

Hope you get this working.

brooklyntony1970
April 1st, 2007, 01:29 AM
Thank you Teaker1s and Henrik for your help. You guys are very knowledgeable. I bow down to you both. Hahaha. I could not quite do it. Uggggg. I'm ashamed.

Anyways, I heard there is a way for me to simply import a copy of keyboard and mouse accessibility configuration file (something called .acw file) from windows to Ubuntu to make sticky keys and other accessibility features possible in Ubuntu in stead of setting it one by one in Ubuntu.

Where can I find such file in Windows XP to import into Ubuntu?

Thanx.

:lolflag:

teaker1s
April 1st, 2007, 11:06 AM
I have had a google session looking for the transfer of xp options to linux and found nothing.
Documentation section has nothing as yet either. I've added a section to the beginners documentation and would be interested on any findings that we:popcorn: can add to it