PDA

View Full Version : Development CD/DVD Image Testing TEAM

ubuntu-geek
March 19th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Hello all,

We recently setup a CD/DVD Image Testing Team here at the forums that is run by Henrik. If you wish to jump on board and come part of this forums team you can signup at the following link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/profile.php?do=editusergroups

j1mc
March 19th, 2007, 03:14 AM
I've requested to join, but am a bit confused as to how is this testing team different than the ISO testing team on launchpad. Is this just to help us be better organized as a testing team?

I would like to stay current on what our approach is to testing, as I'm trying to lead the team of Xubuntu community testers. Could you lend some insight as to how this group will be used? Thanks!!

Jim

Henrik
March 19th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Is it possible to send out a message to everyone on a team? That might be useful. Also, just being recognised as a forum team is good, for the extra exposeure.

We haven't really used the Launchpad team for any real organising yet either. So far we are just doing testing :)

I think we should sit down after Feisty and look at how we use our tools (forum, wiki, launchpad, IRC) and see if we need to create some new ones (web based ISO status tracker, say)

UBfusion
March 19th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I was too a bit confused about this announcement initially. Perhaps it is so generic because (I wildly guess now) it was cross-posted to all ubuntu (tester and non-tester) communities and possibly elsewhere?

I think that the intent of ubuntu-geek's posting in our forum should read:

Dear members of the ISO testing team (and everybody else who wants to join as a cd/dvd tester), please proceed to http://ubuntuforums.org/profile.php?do=editusergroups and select the second option, to have you integrated in the new grand tester scheme, receive group emails etc.

Correct?

From the present description of the 4 groups it seems we will be the only tester group. The other 3 options seem to be forum management related, but isn't the word "handle" a bit vague? How is "handling" different from e.g. "moderating" or simply "answering"?

Unless these groups are to evolve into "official ubuntu support teams" who will systematically address users' queries in the respective areas. This is a very good idea, given that the main reason bug#1 exists is the myth that linux has no organised support and therefore cannot reach the stage of being preinstalled in new PCs. Dell and HP are currently trying to change the status quo and Ubuntu certainly has to be among the first to lend a hand to the hardware manufacturers in providing support.

thornomad
March 19th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I think we should sit down after Feisty and look at how we use our tools (forum, wiki, launchpad, IRC) and see if we need to create some new ones (web based ISO status tracker, say)

I think that is a great idea. I consider myself pretty smart and quick and I have had a hard time wading through the different wiki pages, the launchpad system, and everything to figure out what I could do to help. And I'm still not sure. Be great if we would consolidate all instructions to one simple starting point that was better maintained and updated. So someone new could easily find there way to being a tester -- even for a day.

Henrik
March 19th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Yep, it's all grown rather organically and needs to be tightened up. However making thinks simple and clear is a long and complex process. Ironic, but not a joke :)

It would be great to have a dedicated web-based ISO test tracker with simple forms to sign up and to report results. I'm proposing it as a Summer of Code project.