PDA

View Full Version : THE BEST: Python IDE

nick.inspiron6400
March 11th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Hi,

I have been told as a beginner to programming, i should give Python a try. Now i need to find a IDE.

My Requirements:

1.GUI toolkit with the IDE.

The rest i can manage without. All i need is a GUI plugin, any good IDE's for that?

Thanks,

Nick.

tribaal
March 11th, 2007, 02:11 PM
SPE is in the repositories, and is excellent.

sudo aptitude install spe

But all you need is vim, really ;)

- trib'

rolando2424
March 11th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I have Gedit configured to have a python shell running at the bottom :D

j_g
March 11th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I think that Dr Python is a fairly intuitive, and clean, layout. Some of the others I looked at have GUIs that are overly cluttered and less intuitive. When you're starting out, you want a tool that's straightforward and works out of the box.

laxmanb
March 11th, 2007, 05:26 PM
lots of IDEs but a GUI plugin? for python? nothing like that according to me (I might be wrong though)

mettwoch
March 11th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Give IDLE a try. It has synthax highliting and debugger integration

gh0st
March 12th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I suppose it all depends what you want but I like SPE. It's far from perfect but it does have a decent wxGlade designer included. It's in the main repos you can install it with Add/Remove Programs.

I'm sure that others will have different suggestions and the best thing you can do is just try things out and see what works for you.

Good luck :)

siman
March 12th, 2007, 11:45 PM
yes, i use SPE alot too... but beware the crashes :-) shouldn't be a problem, since it saves your workspace and STRG+S is always so near

stani
March 13th, 2007, 05:11 PM
yes, i use SPE alot too... but beware the crashes :-)

I am using & developping SPE now on Ubuntu myself. Most of the crashes have been gone in the upcoming release. Fortunately there are now a lot of people testing SPE from SVN, so I am working closely with them to smash any bug. So Nick, if you still have a little patience, look out for the next release of SPE. I will announce it on the ubuntu forums when it is ready.

Stani

quavaquava
March 24th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Eclipse and PyDev

xyrer
September 21st, 2008, 11:11 PM
Do u know if eclipse and pydev has the intellisense feature that other eclipse-based ide's have?

Qtips
September 21st, 2008, 11:14 PM
I have Gedit configured to have a python shell running at the bottom :D

How do you do that ? I love Gedit too and i'm interested about how to have a python console at the bottom of gedit.

Thanks for your help.

gomputor
September 22nd, 2008, 12:38 AM
Do u know if eclipse and pydev has the intellisense feature that other eclipse-based ide's have?

Yes it does (if you mean code completion and all of these.) Eclipse with pydev is very strong and good!

How do you do that ? I love Gedit too and i'm interested about how to have a python console at the bottom of gedit.

Open gedit, go to Edit--> Preferences and then in the last tab Plugins. Scroll down and check Python Console (if it's not checked allready).
Close it and then go to View and Select Bottom Pane and you will be able to see the console.

:)

Exershio
September 22nd, 2008, 03:15 AM
GEdit is great for me. It's the perfect editor with the right plugins:

Python Smart Indentation: http://libreamoi.com/index.php/smart-indentation-for-python-in-gedit/
Python Auto-Complete: http://linil.wordpress.com/2008/05/31/using-gedit-to-auto-complete-python-code/

:guitar:

imdano
September 22nd, 2008, 03:25 AM
I'm partial to Wing IDE (http://www.wingware.com). The professional version usually has a (fairly high) cost, but they offer a free license to anyone using it for work on an open-source project. Prior to that I had been using SPE, which I thought was pretty good.